HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rotating Assistants

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Rotating Assistants

Many might not think of this as a big deal, but is anyone else bothered by this assistant-captain-by-committee stuff we've been seeing on the Habs lately? This seems to have begun only this year, and I donít think itís necessarily a good thing. Does Julien feel that we have so many leaders in the Habs dressing room that we simply must have 4 men wear the ďAĒ (Zednik, Juneau, Rivet, and Quintal at the moment), or does he feel that none of the men who presently wear it deserve the fulltime mantle of leadership?

I think having 4 assistant captains sends the wrong message to the players, namely, that the team lacks real leaders. I donít want to complain all that loudly, because everything heís doing seems to be working right now, but I find that the best teams out there are the ones that identify their leaders and treat them accordingly.

Having said that, I think Souray and Zednik should wear the ďAĒ full-time. They seem to be the players who rise to the occasion when we really need them and who play really well in tough games (Zednik in particular, who always seems to pick it up for big, important games).

Thoughts?

Old
01-21-2004, 05:04 PM
RE-HABS

I don't see a problem with it at all, if anything it gives every player a chance to be a leader out there. It works in Minnesota where they rotate Captains, not big deal. I believe there are some other NHL teams doing the same as Minny. Its todays trend in the NHL.

Old
01-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Mike8

Forgive me as I don't pay attention to who has the 'A' every night, but I was under the impression that Juneau, Quintal and Zednik were full-time 'A's, and Rivet only wore it if one of those three were out?

Either way, I don't see a major problem. You see overachieving teams like Minnesota altering captains on a monthly basis. Atlanta did the same. The only teams that don't switch around their assistants often are those that have a core group that've grown with the team (eg. Detroit, NJ, Colorado).

Old
01-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I don't see a problem with it at all, if anything it gives every player a chance to be a leader out there. It works in Minnesota where they rotate Captains, not big deal. I believe there are some other NHL teams doing the same as Minny. Its todays trend in the NHL.
See, that's just it, though. I don't think wearing the 'A' and getting to talk to the ref after penalties are called can turn you into a leader. Guys like Muller, Carbonneau, McPhee, Keane, and Gainey didn't have to take off their patches every other game so guys like Lebeau, Shutt, and Daigneault could get their turn. I think wearing it should be an honour and a privilege, like wearing the C is. I don't see why one should be treated with reverence while the other is tossed around every other game.

Old
01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
See, that's just it, though. I don't think wearing the 'A' and getting to talk to the ref after penalties are called can turn you into a leader. Guys like Muller, Carbonneau, McPhee, Keane, and Gainey didn't have to take off their patches every other game so guys like Lebeau, Shutt, and Daigneault could get their turn.
Perhaps, but the guys you mention would be leaders even if they NEVER had a letter on their sweaters. Leadership comes in all forms... guys like Primeau who play their hearts out but are fairly quiet in the room, or guys who talk and keep everyone else loose and happy, or the guys who have it to deal with the press (**in Montreal only... see Vinny Damphousse). Leadership comes not from one person, but in different facets from many people.

Question: if you were running a business, would you want one leader and many sheep; OR would you prefer each person to have unique leadership qualities that come through at different times and in different ways?

Saku is captain... and he's good at it in his own way. Having a host of assistants can reflect just about anything: reward for playing well, reward for leadership shown over a stretch, etc.

I personally think it's a great idea to thrust guys into a recognized leadership role so that they begin to take that mantle of responsibility. Showing faith in those who persevere builds confidence, and confidence leads directly to self-respect and the willingness to put your neck on the line and lead with or without the letter. It isn't a slight to be rotated provided that the coach does things diplomatically... i think we have all seen that Julien does things his way and with his own special diplomacy. Sharing responsibility is a great way to get everyone to buy into a system... especially if things have been fractured beforehand.

The more, the merrier!

Old
01-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Bob Bastards

It bother me also. But the way I see it, it can be two thing:
1-Julien did not know enought about the player to really choose which one was best suite for the job or,
2-Its the transition time between Q, Juneau as A captain and Zednik, Rivet.

Just a tought...

Old
01-22-2004, 08:25 AM
mcphee

I think that judging a player's role on the team in terms of what he brings off the ice is pretty tough to do. Selecting someone to wear an A can be a message to a guy like Zednik that he is considered a core player, no longer a young guy on the way up. Souray brings so much to the team right now in terms of imposing respect and order that he has tro be considered a leader. I don't see that wearing the letter matters that much. Rivet may be a guy who the team looks to in certain situations, much like Juneau or Q. Hard to say. I don't see it as a big deal, I imagine there are reasons. if I'm in a meeting, I'll speak my mind [what's left of it] regardless of my title. Explains why I work alone, but nonetheless..

Old
01-22-2004, 08:57 AM
PrairieHabber

I would think that Juneau's on-again-off-again back problems required that other players were picked as fill-ins for the A. I like the message it sends to players like Zednik that he is a key player on this team and not just because of the goals he scores.

Btw, mcphee, I really appreciate your sense of humour. You make me laugh when I read your posts. Well done.

Closed Thread