HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trades, trades, trades...will they happen?

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2004, 10:08 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Trades, trades, trades...will they happen?

The Caps, Rangers, Preds, Panthers, Canes and some other teams are either haviing fire sales or very serious talks or are all in a need for D or other help.

Trade rumours have really picked up this week for some strange reason. Will they actually happen this time? Trades haven't been a big occurancy in the NHL over last couple of years because of salaries, but the league is very close this season in the standings and everyone seems to be shopping for something right now.

Do you see Montreal in this trend of trade talk? Balej being called up makes me think BG maybe ready to trade Perreault?

Nashville supposedly is looking for a centre that can be defensively responsible and that can score too, plus they are wanting the player to be a "rent-a-player" type...Perreault UFA this summer is that type and would cost what? A4th rounder?

I guess what I'm saying is do you think these trades with Jagr, Khabubulin, Smith, Satan, O'Neill and various others will happen or is it just media going overboard with deadline fever too soon?

Do you see Montreal looking to add in a weak spot for the playoff push and playoffs like these other teams?

Comments????

Old
01-22-2004, 10:14 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
I think if we make any sort of move it will be for the Ian Laperierre type of player. Maybe pick up a depth player, such as a Whitfield or a Pettinger, from Washington.

I was really hoping the Sharks would be brutal again, in hopes of acquiring Sturm, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Last edited by gohabsgo2010: 01-22-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old
01-23-2004, 12:17 AM
habitants9_4

Teams are about to get into the final stetch, its big. I don't see us making any moves unless Boston, New York I, New York R, Atlanta or any teams competing with us make a trade.

If we make a trade, it will be a small one. You can't dramatically affect chemistry now.

Gainey did say he'd make moves for future considerations

Old
01-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Just thought I'd share an interesting thought.

With Crosby, Daniel Ryder and Siharei (sp?) Kastistyn in the 2005 draft, would you trade our first rounder from 2004 to say, Nashville for their 2005 first-rounder?

I know we missed Mikko Koivu by 1 pick (which may have been to our advantage), but it would be nice to have some brothers playing on the same team. You don't exactly have to go searching for chemistry, do you?

Old
01-23-2004, 01:15 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois

With Crosby, Daniel Ryder and Siharei (sp?) Kastistyn in the 2005 draft, would you trade our first rounder from 2004 to say, Nashville for their 2005 first-rounder?

I know we missed Mikko Koivu by 1 pick (which may have been to our advantage), but it would be nice to have some brothers playing on the same team. You don't exactly have to go searching for chemistry, do you?
i think thats a "yes and no" type of thing
you dont have to look for chemistry but you may not be doing whats best for your team in the long run...
vancouver could have bryan mccabe on that blue line w/ jovo, salo, ohlund etc.. but they wanted to have daniel and henrik together so they shipped out mccabe.. sure those 2 are twins and all but its the same general idea..

Old
01-23-2004, 09:56 AM
All-Star

Quote:

That's just way too much of a gamble for me... just thinking about it makes me nervous...

Quote:
If they are anything like me and my brother the competition would end up splitting the team in two. Not many younger brothers would want to skate in the shadow of their older brother.

Last edited by All-Star: 01-23-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old
01-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:

Brother combos have rarely been effective, at least in recent memory. The Bures played together and they were no good, the Courtnals did squat together, the Sedins have been uninspiring at best, and the Hatchers were never really good at the same time in Dallas. All of these teams thought that reuniting the brothers would be a good idea, but it never panned out for any of them.

I say we should ignore last names altogether and select guys for our team based on talent alone.

Old
01-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Darz

Quote:
would you trade our first rounder from 2004 to say, Nashville for their 2005 first-rounder?
If Nashville was interested in a

Perreault
for
option to swap 2005 first rounder, I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:12 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
If Nashville was interested in a

Perreault
for
option to swap 2005 first rounder, I would make the trade in a heartbeat.
Would Nashville even consider something like this? I guess it all depends on how confident they are of doing well next season...

Of course then we'd lose our favorite trading piece. At least we still have Hossa to fill the void.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:24 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
If they are anything like me and my brother the competition would end up splitting the team in two. Not many younger brothers would want to skate in the shadow of their older brother.
HAHAHAHA, true. but id be skating in my brothers shadow if we were in the NHLand i'm the older one. there would be quite a few scraps but in the end you know that you would have good chemistry with family. its not really a bad concept from the koivu's point of view because mikko is a huge forward who wouldn't be a waste of a pick

Closed Thread