HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A longshot?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2007, 11:33 AM
  #1
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
A longshot?

If this makes no sense at all....blame the ill effects of eggnog...

The more I think about it...the more I see it as a very long longshot...

But coudn't we develop Latendresse as a center?

Certainly some will say he does not have the hockey sense to play such a position, nor does his play without the puck is mature enough, still...

He has hands, a shot and physical attributes...

At least he wouldn't be pushed around as does Koivu and Pleky...

And we all see how effective he can be around the net...

Koivu and Pleky do circle the puck around the boards and Latendresse has very good capabilities along the boards. And Latendresse's passing skills are of interest and could be more utilized.

I don't know, but seeing that with don't have dept of skilled centerman, nor have we the "luxury" to sign UFA in this regard...why not convert Latendresse into a center?

Then we could concentrate on either signing a RW or trade for a RW to play on a line with Higgins and Latendresse.

Off my rocker am I?

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
  #2
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,719
vCash: 500
Well...That could have been a good idea about 6 years ago...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:36 AM
  #3
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,306
vCash: 612
It's hard for a natural winger to adapt to centre, totally different feel. Plus he's slow and his backchecking isn't amazing. All he needs to do is learn to be a true power forward and crash the net ALL THE TIME like Holmstrom. Instead, Gui sometimes thinks he's Kovalev and tries his fancy stickwork.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
  #4
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's hard for a natural winger to adapt to centre, totally different feel. Plus he's slow and his backchecking isn't amazing. All he needs to do is learn to be a true power forward and crash the net ALL THE TIME like Holmstrom. Instead, Gui sometimes thinks he's Kovalev and tries his fancy stickwork.
agreed

but we have to be patient. Holmstrom himself was almost kicked himself out of the league because he took too many stupid penalties. Now, we cant even imagine holmstrom not being nhl material.


We see flashes of gui taking the puck to the net with authority. I cant wait until he puts it all together.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 05:52 PM
  #5
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
The funny thing about Lats (it seems to me) is that he falls down a lot when he is in the low slot. I can't tell if he is just easy to knock off his feet in open ice? He seems to be doing better working around the outside. But he definitely tries the Kovy stick moves for sure. Not his game at all.

I guess they could try it but I am not sure it would work too well.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
  #6
Ra
satan is my homie
 
Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well...That could have been a good idea about 6 years ago...
Exactly. And even then, I'm not sure he has enough skating abilities to play at center in the old NHL. Center is the position where you skate the most, clearly not the position where you want Latendresse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The funny thing about Lats (it seems to me) is that he falls down a lot when he is in the low slot. I can't tell if he is just easy to knock off his feet in open ice? He seems to be doing better working around the outside. But he definitely tries the Kovy stick moves for sure. Not his game at all.

I guess they could try it but I am not sure it would work too well.
I didn't see Latendresse in the minors but I remember reading that he was not playing like a power forward but more like a big guy with skills (if that make sense). I guess we'll see less of these things with time... We saw during the first games this year what happens when he tries that in the NHL.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
  #7
Pere Noel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
He unfortunately doesn't the required speed for a centerman

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
  #8
Stiffler
Registered User
 
Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St-Hubert
Country: Canada
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
It's way too late for him to go to center, I think it's just a matter of time and experience before he finds his spot as a winger though. Like Carey Price said, he should be playing like Holmstrom, and will be playing like Holmstrom more and more in the future. He is a great prospect to have.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 08:39 PM
  #9
Thorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint-Hubert
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's hard for a natural winger to adapt to centre, totally different feel. Plus he's slow and his backchecking isn't amazing. All he needs to do is learn to be a true power forward and crash the net ALL THE TIME like Holmstrom. Instead, Gui sometimes thinks he's Kovalev and tries his fancy stickwork.
It's so painful watching him trying to catch up to the rush going the other way it hurts.

And for the second bolded part, maybe the coaching staff gave him one of those tapes you listen to when you sleep so it sticks in your head telling him to crash the net over and over. He really needs to take more advantage of his size (and do a lot more power skating work in the offseason)

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 09:04 PM
  #10
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Off the top of my head, one of the few players that made the successful transition from wing to C was Messier, and he's one of the greatest forwards of all time.

Call me crazy, but I actually think having Koivu Plekanec Chipchura Lapierre would be great in the playoffs. What the Habs need to do is get their wingers rolling.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 09:36 PM
  #11
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Off the top of my head, one of the few players that made the successful transition from wing to C was Messier, and he's one of the greatest forwards of all time.

Call me crazy, but I actually think having Koivu Plekanec Chipchura Lapierre would be great in the playoffs. What the Habs need to do is get their wingers rolling.
I remember when Sather converted Messier from left wing. Sather said at the time that KNeilson, messier and anderson only lined up at their positions anyway. They were all superb skaters.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:13 AM
  #12
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,306
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It's so painful watching him trying to catch up to the rush going the other way it hurts.

And for the second bolded part, maybe the coaching staff gave him one of those tapes you listen to when you sleep so it sticks in your head telling him to crash the net over and over. He really needs to take more advantage of his size (and do a lot more power skating work in the offseason)
At the beginning of the season he was used on the PP with Kovalev and he stood in front of the net creating traffic. Kovy scored a few because of this. But then Carbo stopped putting him there. It's exactly why he's on the team, he needs to create traffic and get some bounces/rebounds.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.