OK, I am really bored right now and this is what i would do to the oilers if it were possible. (I realize that the deals may not be perfect but i try) Of course picks and such will be needed as throw ins here and there.
1. My first move would be to fire Mactavish and hire Steve Ludzik...We would have to compensate someone to get him but who cares...
2. Trade Horcoff to Buffalo for Kalinin straight up. The Oilers have plenty 3rd/4th line guys and I think Kalinin would look amazing with the Oilers. Buffalo is generally weak down the middle and could use a guy like Horcoff. Salaries are generally the same as well.
3. Trade Smyth Phi's 1st Rita and Luoma to Minnesota for Gaborik. Pipe dream never will happen but I can always dream. Minnesota does not have very strong defence prospects so Luoma will help. Some other Smyth +++ package could work as well.
4. Smith, Isbister and a 3rdfor Modin and a 2nd. Modin is that guy we need on the team who knows how to find the back of the net. Tampa could use a hard nose verteran dman in Smith if they are planning a playoff run.
5. Trade Oates to a contender for a pick/prospect
6. Slowly teach Hemsky to play center. He plays like a center and I think he could be one.
Ludzig is the assistant in Florida. He's assured the head coaching job in Florida after this year. I don't think he'll go elsewhere, as when he's coach in Florida, he'll have the GM's full co-operation. Doubt he'd going anywhere.
Kalinen is worth much more than Horcoff, and Chimera to boot. I doubt you could get Kalinen for Smith at the moment. He's about as valuable to the Sabres as Torres is to the Oilers.
Not a big fan of Modin, though there have been Smith for Modin rumours this season at times.
A UFA and a marginal forward for a guy that can score 30 and has the PP shot as well as rushing ability that we need. I wouldn't offer as much as #2, but Modin would be an excellent pickup.
For the last time, say it with me everyone...
SMITH IS NOT A UFA! Not unless he isn't signed by Sept whatever (CBA expires) and a new CBA changes the age of UFA eligibility.
And Isbister, has looked great recently, you are so pre-occupied with your pro Hemsky, pro Torres , Anti Salo posts after every game no matter how they play, that you have completely missed how much Isbister is doing for us out there. Once he works on his shot a bit he is going to be a ligit power forward.
I think we are giving up way to much for Modin...
Don't like it at all.
NOTE: Don't take this as a knock against Hemsky or Torres. Both are GREAT young players who I see on our first line for years.
And I like the Hemsky as a centre idea, I have though of that a few times as well. Does anyone know if he has ever played C? Maybe in the Q?