HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Types of players we have and what line they should be on

Old
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Types of players we have and what line they should be on

Just thinking. What lines are the following players best suited for, or what is their calibre?

First line: Koivu
Second line: Higgins (for now), Kovalev, Plekanec, Ryder, AKostisyn, SKostitsyn, Smolinski, Latendresse
Third line: Chipchura, Streit
Fourth line: Begin, Dandenault, Lapierre, Kostopoulos

First pairing: Markov, Hamrlik
Second pairing: Komisarek (O'Byrne, McDonough on the way)
Third pairing: everyone else

Shooters: Higgins, Ryder, AKostitsyn, Streit (on the PP)
Passers: Koivu, SKostitsyn, Smolinski, Latendresse

The rest of the guys don't shoot or pass enough imo. AKost is a shooter imo only because he has a great shot. He doesn't use it enough though.

Looking at this.... we don't have enough shooters or first line players.

I guess that's not a revelation though...

Also, looking at that, I think it's imperative to build Ryder back into the offense and maximize AKost's shooting potential by moving him back to right wing.

Higgins has had some bad habits come into his game because the first line has no size/skill to complement him other than Koivu. I think he stopped passing the puck because Ryder would never share the puck. Now Higgins only shoots, never passes. I think he could play on any first line in the league, but he has yet to show that potential over a full season, so I put him on the second line.

Kovalev is too inconsistent in his effort to be considered a first line player imo. And he still doesn't know how to set up his own shot, so his first line calibre talent is negated by his lack of hockey sense. He's only had two or three good seasons and a couple good playoff runs his entire career. If I were him, I'd be highly motivated to fix my flaws right now.

Lines:

Higgins (shooter) - Koivu (passer) - Kovalev (masturbator)
AKosty (shooter/passer) - Plekanec (speedster) - Ryder (shooter and puck hog)

et al.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-26-2007 at 04:48 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
revin5*

First line: Koivu, Kovalev
Second line: Kosty (both), Ryder, Latendresse
Third line: Higgins, Plekanec, Chipchura, Streit, Lapierre
Fourth line: Begin, Kostopoulos, Dandenault, Smolinski

passers: Koivu, Kovalev, Kosty (both), Latendresse
shooters: Higgins, Plekanec, Lapierre, Streit.

based on all that I'd say we should play:

A.Kost-Koivu-Kovalev (all passers yeah, but they can all also shoot)
Latendresse-Chipchura-S.Kost
Higgins-Plekanec-Lapierre (speed, shoot, recover puck, repeat... all three of them together would be scary)
Streit-Begin-Kostopoulos (kill time and don't hurt the team)

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 05:36 PM
tinyzombies

Comparing Montreal and San Jose:

Montreal:
Higgins is tied for 15th in the league in shots on goal. Kovalev is 78th, Plekanec 90th, Ryder 101st, Streit 104th, Hamrlik 138th, Koivu 159th, Markov 178th, Latendresse 184th, AKost 211th, Komisarek 296th...

SJ:
Michalek is 49th, Thornton 90th, Marleau 108th, Pavelski 122nd, Grier 152nd. Pretty bad.

As for assists, Montreal:
Koivu is 38th (tied with Ribs and others), Kovalev 75th, Plekanec 80th, Markov 94th, Streit 101st, Hamrlik 120th, Higgins and AKosty tied for 151st with others, Smolinski 201st, Ryder and Chipchura both 245th...

SJ:
Thornton 12th, Rivet 109th, Ehrhoff 131st...et al...also pretty bad.

for ice time...

Montreal:
Markov is 17th in the league and Hamrlik is 26th.

SJ:
Thornton 67th, Rivet 69th, Vlasic 82nd...

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-26-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old
12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
mabus

First Line: Kovalev
Second Line: Kostitsyn brothers, Koivu, Plekaec, Higgins, Ryder
Third Line: Chipchura, Lattendresse, Lapierre
Fourth Line: Begin, Smolinsky, Dandeneault, Streit, Kostopolous

The first line really is the problem, obviously. Only one top tier player. Koivu is extremely talented ... but he's an excellent 2nd line center, and a very weak 1st line center. Put it another way .. when your 1st line center has never scored more than 20 or so goals {and he's an offensive, and not a defensive player} you got problems at that position.

Second pairing: Komisarek, O'Byrne
Third pairing: whomever you like

The first pairing is probably one of the five best in the league. Not the best, but damn close to it. We may not have the best single defenceman, but we've got one of the top five lines.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:05 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
First Line: Kovalev
Second Line: Kostitsyn brothers, Koivu, Plekaec, Higgins, Ryder
Third Line: Chipchura, Lattendresse, Lapierre
Fourth Line: Begin, Smolinsky, Dandeneault, Streit, Kostopolous

The first line really is the problem, obviously. Only one top tier player. Koivu is extremely talented ... but he's an excellent 2nd line center, and a very weak 1st line center. Put it another way .. when your 1st line center has never scored more than 20 or so goals {and he's an offensive, and not a defensive player} you got problems at that position.

Second pairing: Komisarek, O'Byrne
Third pairing: whomever you like

The first pairing is probably one of the five best in the league. Not the best, but damn close to it. We may not have the best single defenceman, but we've got one of the top five lines.
The numbers don't back you up. Kovalev is far down the ladder in all categories, and he's been on a hot line, put up big PP numbers and is supposed to be having a good season.

Koivu is 38th in assists, which I guess would rank him near or amongst the second line centers. I think he's a lower tier first liner who has no linemates to help him out (or just one in Higgins). He's a classic playmaking center, not a scorer.

The thing about those numbers below to me is that Kovalev, Plekanec and AKosty are just not shooting the puck. Probably because Kovalev dangles with it the entire shift.

And Higgins shoots too much, from bad angles, while there is nobody else on the top line to shoot the puck.

When you are shooting the puck as much or less than Joe Thornton (a guy who just refuses to shoot) with a similar amount of ice time, you know you are in trouble.

It also says to me that we lack size in the top six for second and third chances.

Having Koivu and Kovalev together would reduce the wear on Koivu and give Kovy somone who can keep the puck alive for him after he runs out of options. Putting Lats with them and having him crash would hopefully provide second and third chances. The line would only be average defensively, at best.

Latendresse (passer/shooter) - Koivu (passer) - Kovalev (passer/shooter)

The second line could be what we've been calling the CAT line (is that right?). Higgins shoots the puck an awful lot, while Pleks and AKosty don't shoot as much as they should. But the ingredients of the line seem good in that the styles complement each other. Would help Higgins if there were another shooting threat imo. Higgins needs help to get into better shooting positions.

Higgins (shooter) - Plekanec (must shoot more) - AKosty (must shoot more)

The third line would have Ryder as baggage defensively I assume. Not sure what SKosty's deal is defensively. He seems pretty active so far, but I've seen him be over aggressive too.

SKosty (passer) - Chipchura (grinder) - Ryder (shooter/puck hog)

The fourth line is easy. We have plenty of fourth line types. Rotate them to keep them healthy, or demote Lapierre if he can't find the balance between aggression and inexperience.

Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault/Kostopoulos

Maybe Carbo is building this team to a crescendo.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-26-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old
12-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Jakomyte

Without going into the analysis, bottom line is that we don't have a bona fide first line player.... everyone has their opinions that maybe Koivu or Kovalev belong in this category or that some of our kids might develop into this category, but we don't have a forward that we can all agree on as a first liner right now. That's the team's biggest problem at the moment.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:52 PM

1st line: maybe Kovy?
2nd line: Koivu, Plekanec, Higgins, AK, SK, the old Ryder
3rd line: Chipchura, Latendresse, the new Ryder, Grabovski
4th line: Kostopoulos, Begin, Smolinski

1st: Markov
2nd: Hamrlik
3rd: Komisarek
4th: Streit