HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting started (age 22)

Old
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Waltah*

vCash: 500
Getting started (age 22)

Ok here's the scoop, i played roller hockey as a teen and ice skated rather infrequently. Im 22 years old and looking to get into playing ice hockey. Where do i even start? I have the basics of ice skating.....highly doubt that transfers to playing ice hockey. Should i just start going to pick-up sessions or what? I don't want to play competitively per say, just looking to have some fun and ultimately learn how to play a bit.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I dont have much for resources here in northern ohio. The closest rink is 20 miles away.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 04:45 PM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
I started Ice Hockey at 22 as well after playing years of Roller hockey. What really got me started was skating on the pond and figuring out how to skate better. It's amazing what you can learn when you aren't worried about what other people are thinking. I had gone to the public skating as a kid and a few times every year before the age of 22, but never really tested what I was capable of on the ice. One of my buddies played for a beer league and he asked me if I would be interested in some ice time while his team rented the ice for practice. Well, they ended up playing a game instead and threw me into the fire. From there they asked me to join their team and about 8 years later I like to think I've come a very long way. So maybe I only play in a "B" Level Beer League, but it is much better than where I started.

I would actually suggest a developmental league to begin with. Perhaps a clinic that works on fundamentals and gets you ready for some open hockey. Or you could just scout out open hockey and see if you would be comfortable out there.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Waltah*

unfortunatley theres no developmental leagues around here, just the "drop-in" hockey games and stick/puck night where its open ice shooting and skating.

it is funny how self concious you are while people are around....ive been working on my backwards skating and stopping. so far so good.

Old
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah 81 View Post
unfortunatley theres no developmental leagues around here, just the "drop-in" hockey games and stick/puck night where its open ice shooting and skating.

it is funny how self concious you are while people are around....ive been working on my backwards skating and stopping. so far so good.
Well, you already have me beat... I could barely stop when I started.

Maybe you should convince a buddy to try it with you so you don't feel so bad. Just make sure the buddy is worse than you.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Waltah*

oh, im no expert at stopping, but ive got the hang of the basics. If im flat out hauling ass i have problems, but medium speed....im alright. I just dont want to be a danger to someone on the ice (careening into them).

*sigh*

Old
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Diamond Joe

The best thing I can tell you is what you seem to be doing, just skate when you can, and when you've got time...you can't do anything before you learn to skate.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Waltah*

i hear ya, im skating 2 times a week (the most i can), maybe in a couple months ill venture to a stick & puck night.

Old
12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
i hear ya, im skating 2 times a week (the most i can), maybe in a couple months ill venture to a stick & puck night.
2 nights a week is more than fine...that's more than i get out, lol...some weeks i get lucky and i am out 3 times but mostly once.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Waltah*

Only issue i have is that its 16miles away, oh well.

Old
12-11-2007, 06:33 PM
ean

Master the art of skating first. This is probably the biggest problem I see with guys who begin playing pickup later on. They just can't skate well.

The best hockey players I've played along side were all fantastic skaters. Perhaps the only good hockey player who wasn't a great skater is Luc Robitaille, but then again they also called him Lucky Luc...

So just hit those public skating sessions and really get down skating. Forwards, backwards, crossing over each side while facing any direction, as well as transitioning between the two.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 06:36 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Only issue i have is that its 16miles away, oh well.
I hear ya. I've been playing for 13months now, I was 21 at the time and I've improved by leaps and bounds to what I originally was able to do. I would highly recommend skating as much as you can. Go into a corner during open skate and just practice the technical points of skating, they help set the foundation and those are the things you want to build upon. The more your on your skates, the better. My rink is 12 miles away which is kind of a pain especially when I play twice in one day. My rink doesn't offer stick and puck but that is an excellent way to get going with playing hockey because open hockey can be a bit intimidating because you can look like a pylon with some of the really good guys out there. Though, I've found most to be quite nice to new players and help out when they can.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Waltah*

thanks for the tips so far....what skating drills or techniques can i practice on my own?

Old
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
ean

Quote:
thanks for the tips so far....what skating drills or techniques can i practice on my own?
skate circles....skate straight while making very large C motion's with 1 skate, you can skate up and down the rink and at each line transition from forwards to backwards and vice versa, etc...

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
skate circles....skate straight while making very large C motion's with 1 skate, you can skate up and down the rink and at each line transition from forwards to backwards and vice versa, etc...
what is the significance of the C motion with one skate?

thanks

also....dumb question coming up. should i be able to stop with either foot forward? i primarily stop with my right foot forward (left hand shot). should i be able to use my left foot forward to stop?

Old
12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Ulic

Come on man, I drive 50 miles to get to the closest rink.

If you still have inline skates that fit I would work on your skating and puck handling on days you can't get to the rink. While obviously different, the skills required to roller skate and handle a ball are the same as those for ice skating with a puck. Just work on bending your knees, keeping your head up, and keeping your stick out in front of you.

On days you can go to the rink I would try to play pick up. Nothing will improve your skills better than just getting into the action. Other players may be rushing by you in every direction and you may not even get the puck but it will improve your skating. As long as you can skate you can play. The other skills will come with time, but skating is key.

Quote:
also....dumb question coming up. should i be able to stop with either foot forward? i primarily stop with my right foot forward (left hand shot). should i be able to use my left foot forward to stop?
Not dumb. I could skate well when I first went to ice because I've inline skated my whole life. I'm right foot dominant and could only stop on that side. I could do both sides after about a season and I can honestly say I picked it up just by playing. The skating skills will come from playing because you are forced to move.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
jerzeyboy319

hey wuts up...this is my first post...im 20 and played many years of rollor hockey..and dominated it...when high school came my grades were terrable and wasnt able to play ice hockey for high school..today for the first time since 2003..went threw my old hockey gear and missed playing..although i smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day!! i think i wanna give the ice a try.

jerzeyboy319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 11:31 PM
XweekendwarriorX

go to like an open skate itwill help you dozens. learn to skate before you learn to play. trust me it makes a big difference to be able to take a stride and not have to worry about if your gonna take a fall after you learn to skate good work on your puck handeling at maybe open ice sessions or skate and shoot as we have in Buffalo but learning how to skate i think is most important to have any sort of fun in rec hockey.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 03:05 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic View Post
I could do both sides after about a season and I can honestly say I picked it up just by playing. The skating skills will come from playing because you are forced to move.
Same here. I started at 20 and found my biggest improvements were made when I was forced to try and keep up in game situations. Just get out and play, it will come in time!

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Waltah*

thanks for the tips folks, keep them coming if you have them.

practice tips and drills appreciated also

Old
12-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Ulic

For shooting, the only thing thats going to make your shot better is shooting. If you have a garage or anywhere you have enough room to shoot just put up a piece of plywood, tape or paint the outline of a goal and shoot. Just work on the mechanics of your wrist shot. Do you want more info on that?

If you have someone to practice passing with just work on receiving the pass by cradling the puck as it gets to you.

Remember to bend your knees as you skate. Many beginner skaters skate with locked knees and can't shoot, pass, skate, or balance well.

Bending your knees gives you much greater balance and power with your skating. It improves your accuracy and power of your shot and puts you in a much better position to handle the puck.

Keep your stick on the ice, skate to the puck when the carrier is challenged and to open ice when he has room to skate.

If all else fails just crash the net.

Old
12-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Waltah*

oh, ill crash the net alright!

Old
12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
I could barely stop when I started...
Qu?

There are a lot of stories on this forum about people who started playing late in life.
I started to learn to ice skate at 36 and practiced my rear-end off. I fell a lot and have a lot of bumps and bruises from just skating. I know I'm going to feel them when I'm old(er). The first piece of hockey equipment I bought was a helmet after I fell and hit my head. Slowly, I collected pieces of hockey equipment and eventually had the complete set sitting at home, waiting for the day when I would start playing. I was invited to play pick-up by a gentleman I met at a public skate when I was 38, and so began my new addiction (or affliction - if you've ever seen me play).
I thought I was a reasonably good skater, but at my first game, I fell down quite a few times. Looked kinda like a newborn giraffe on a freshly waxed floor covered in icy ball bearings. But I stuck with it and I am slowly improving. Ive gotten compliments from a lot of the guys about my improvement.
When youre playing, it almost seems like you dont even think about the skating (of course, when you wipe out or lose an edge you think about it hard) and Ive found that the more I play, the better skater Ive become even during public skate.
Anyway, good luck! Im sure youll do fine
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Ulic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
The first piece of hockey equipment I bought was a helmet after I fell and hit my head. Slowly, I collected pieces of hockey equipment and eventually had the complete set sitting at home, waiting for the day when I would start playing.
I started with roller and all I has was gloves, skates, a stick, and a helmet. I fell one day and hit my knee and elbow so I bought skin and elbow pads. Then I feel and hit my ass hard on the rink so I bought more pads. Then I bought the pants to cover it all up.

I would just buy my gear when I found a part of me that wasn't protected.

Old
12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I'm sure the Maple Leafs would love to sign you.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
I'm sure the Maple Leafs would love to sign you.
I wouldn't sign for the leafs if someone had a gun to my head.

money could change my mind though