HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*** happened to Hockey? Colton Orr hit!

Old
12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
Scott Stevens made a Hall of Fame career out of delivering hits just like that

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 05:15 AM
NCHarleyHardtail

Send a message via AIM to NCHarleyHardtail Send a message via MSN to NCHarleyHardtail Send a message via Yahoo to NCHarleyHardtail
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistyO View Post
What the hell happened to hockey when you get an "interference" major when you hit a guy (hard) after he crosses the blue line if he has the puck, whether he was looking or not. If this is what hockey has become it is a shame.
Scott Stevens would have never had a career.
well take a good look at how he hit Cullen. If it had been the other way around you would be upset I have no doubt. I am a Bruins fan but I was watching the game .i It was CLEARLY a blind sided hit with his arms up VERY high. Orr is good tough guy but he made mistake. that wsa just real unfortunate that that happened and now he will probably get the book thrown at him.was good to Jagr get rolling again he was team player for a change. Fine goaltending by the Ranger goalie was enjoyable to watch!!!

NCHarleyHardtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 06:37 AM
orland

Orr Hit not Clean

As a Ranger fan, I don't like the hit. Orr's hands were too high and it was a vicious blind side hit that led to a broken nose and a possible concussion. Cullen is a good guy and it was definitely questionable.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by orland View Post
As a Ranger fan, I don't like the hit. Orr's hands were too high and it was a vicious blind side hit that led to a broken nose and a possible concussion. Cullen is a good guy and it was definitely questionable.
Nothing personal or anything, but exactly what "blindside" did orr hit? he hit cullen straight on. Not orr's fault that cullen is skating across the middle with his head down. I agree with you about cullen and all, wish no harm upon the guy, but when you skate through the middle like that, big hits tend to happen.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:28 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHarleyHardtail View Post
well take a good look at how he hit Cullen. If it had been the other way around you would be upset I have no doubt. I am a Bruins fan but I was watching the game .i It was CLEARLY a blind sided hit with his arms up VERY high. Orr is good tough guy but he made mistake. that wsa just real unfortunate that that happened and now he will probably get the book thrown at him.was good to Jagr get rolling again he was team player for a change. Fine goaltending by the Ranger goalie was enjoyable to watch!!!
First of all how was it blind side? They were facing each other. If you mean Cullen was blindsided because he had his head down then you probably had a problem with Stevens hit on Lindros. Orr didn't lead with his elbows -- he brought his hands up. Now whether he brought his hands up to protect himself or he brought his hands up on purpose to hurt Cullen we don't know. But if you are going to go out there to tear a guys head off your going to use your elbows. Orr didn't do that. Most of the damage came from their heads colliding. Most people tend to ignore the fact that Orr was also cut (probably by Cullens helmet).

Where was all the outrage when Burns elbowed Prucha in the Minnesota game. That was probably more fragrant. The difference was that no one got injured. The fact that Cullen was knocked unconsious caused the stupid ref to overreact and make up a penalty that wasn't there. His stupid butt should be fined and suspended, not Orr's!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:41 AM
pld459666

I'm happy Cullen got rocked, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

And I mean that, he's a nice guy, liked by all his teammates while he was on the team. But the fact of the matter is that he's no longer on this team and since that's the case, I'm happy he was laying on the ice and not Orr.

I wouldn't care if it was Brian Leetch that got rocked like that, the moment he stopes wearing a Rangers jersey and has another teams jersey on, during the game, he's an opposing player that needs to get hit hard and often and yes, a little dirty.

Do I wish him harm? Absolutely.

The kind that prevents players from continuing on the next night? No, just the kind that prevents him from coming back during the current game.

call me what you will, but any player that is not wearing a Rangers Jersey today needs to be feeling some pain.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:18 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

And I mean that, he's a nice guy, liked by all his teammates while he was on the team. But the fact of the matter is that he's no longer on this team and since that's the case, I'm happy he was laying on the ice and not Orr.

I wouldn't care if it was Brian Leetch that got rocked like that, the moment he stopes wearing a Rangers jersey and has another teams jersey on, during the game, he's an opposing player that needs to get hit hard and often and yes, a little dirty.

The kind that prevents players from continuing on the next night? No, just the kind that prevents him from coming back during the current game.

call me what you will, but any player that is not wearing a Rangers Jersey today needs to be feeling some pain.

Classy post.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:36 AM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistyO View Post
Scott Stevens would have never had a career.
I guess the 908 regular season points don't count? Plus 118 in the playoffs? I'd say thats significantly more than Colton Orrs 5 NHL points.

I'm not trying to flame or anything but, that type of comment is sort of ignorant considering if he never played for NJ he probably would have had significantly more than that. The hitting was completely secondary to Scotty's game, the difference really being that, he could deliver devastating hits at any given time.

It's really just what he became infamous for. As much as I love seeing his hits, it's sort of sad considering the kind of skill he had otherwise. But 95% of the hits he threw were either from his hip or his shoulder (or his elbow if you wanna be one of those guys). This hit was basically face to face.

I still don't think there should be a call on the Orr hit, but sorry, when you suggest Stevens was nothing without his hits I gotta clear the air because it couldn't be further from the truth. But that also doesn't take exception to the fact you could be too young to realize that considering his highest scoring years mostly came before he was on NJ.

Either way, I still hope the league doesn't hand out a suspension for this because I'd say the Neil hit on Drury last season would have been far more deserving and that got nothing either.

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:45 AM
WheresBarnaby

Ridiculous call, he wasn't trying to kill Cullen, and there should've been an instigator on the fight that followed. Oh, and the major was a joke.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:51 AM
pzilla3

it was plainly a clean hit, personally i think the elbow came up after the fact. Watch Scott Stevens, he always used to finish checks like that with his elbow up, but he never got a major for it.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:59 AM
bumrusherer

Its not just Hockey...All sports are becoming soft these days.

Games are called tighter in order to garner more fouls. Which they hope leads to more offense. Culminating in higher T.V ratings.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
It was a bad call, no doubt about it. It's unfortunate that dirty play over the past few years has created a league where a player is penalized for a hit if there is the smallest bit of question about its legality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
Its not just Hockey...All sports are becoming soft these days.

Games are called tighter in order to garner more fouls. Which they hope leads to more offense. Culminating in higher T.V ratings.
Hockey isn't becoming "soft." The game is more difficult and physical than it was 20 years ago as all of the players are so big. The "softening" of the game is a direct result of some of the ugly incidents (McSorley, Bertuzzi, Simon, etc..) from recent history. If you want to blame anyone for the game losing a certain physical element, blame the players. If they can't control themselves, the league will have no choice but to crack down on on the rough stuff, out of simple necessity. If players can show in the next couple of seasons that they're capable of playing physical without swinging sticks, hitting high, and ruthlessly checking from behind, then I have no doubt the league and the officials will loosen the reigns a bit.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
KEEP YOUR DAMN HEAD UP! You wanna cut across the middle with your head down, be prepared.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Kostik

Quote:

Wow..
Maybe you should visit your doctor once in a while...

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It was a bad call, no doubt about it. It's unfortunate that dirty play over the past few years has created a league where a player is penalized for a hit if there is the smallest bit of question about its legality.

Hockey isn't becoming "soft." The game is more difficult and physical than it was 20 years ago as all of the players are so big. The "softening" of the game is a direct result of some of the ugly incidents (McSorley, Bertuzzi, Simon, etc..) from recent history. If you want to blame anyone for the game losing a certain physical element, blame the players. If they can't control themselves, the league will have no choice but to crack down on on the rough stuff, out of simple necessity. If players can show in the next couple of seasons that they're capable of playing physical without swinging sticks, hitting high, and ruthlessly checking from behind, then I have no doubt the league and the officials will loosen the reigns a bit.
By no means did I say the players are soft. Because obviously, players are all now bigger, faster, stronger in all Sports.
But the referee, Umpire etc are calling soft fouls and going overboard with other fouls.

There will always be isolated incidents that will bring a dark cloud over certain Sports. No matter how the games are called.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Orr's arms did not break Cullen's nose. It was his face. Otherwise, how was it that Orr had blood on his face? The call on Orr was absurd.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
No, it has nothign to do with reputation blah blah. It was a CLEAN hit and if that ***** Cullen gets up and doesn't start crying nothing is called. Simply the call was made from the result. Horrible

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
No, it has nothign to do with reputation blah blah. It was a CLEAN hit and if that ***** Cullen gets up and doesn't start crying nothing is called. Simply the call was made from the result. Horrible
So, Cullen is a ***** for getting his nose broken and for getting knocked unconscious? It's Cullen's fault for skating with his head down, but it's simply ridiculous to imply that Cullen did anything after the hit in an attempt to draw a penalty. The guy could barely skate off the ice for ***** sake.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 12-27-2007 at 12:26 PM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Its called the ************* of the NHL. Gary Bettman, and his lack of experience as a player, decided the game was to physical for the mass public to accept it. Apparently the viewing public is much more likely to tune in when you lock the players out, cancel the season and then put the game on OLN/VS. Hows that working for ya Gary you *******!

Bravo my boy! Bravo!!!!

I couldn't agree more. This is a tough game for tough boys...at least that is the way it used to be. The ************* of the NHL is eventually going to take all the rougher aspects out of the game, and this little weasel of a commissioner will be the force behind it. And Colin is right there by his side, which sickens me even worse. I thought the hit was clean, Cullen had the puck, and had his head down. From the slo-mo angle, it looks like they actually hit heads in the collision.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveof666 View Post
I guess the 908 regular season points don't count? Plus 118 in the playoffs? I'd say thats significantly more than Colton Orrs 5 NHL points.

I'm not trying to flame or anything but, that type of comment is sort of ignorant considering if he never played for NJ he probably would have had significantly more than that. The hitting was completely secondary to Scotty's game, the difference really being that, he could deliver devastating hits at any given time.

It's really just what he became infamous for. As much as I love seeing his hits, it's sort of sad considering the kind of skill he had otherwise. But 95% of the hits he threw were either from his hip or his shoulder (or his elbow if you wanna be one of those guys). This hit was basically face to face.

I still don't think there should be a call on the Orr hit, but sorry, when you suggest Stevens was nothing without his hits I gotta clear the air because it couldn't be further from the truth. But that also doesn't take exception to the fact you could be too young to realize that considering his highest scoring years mostly came before he was on NJ.

Either way, I still hope the league doesn't hand out a suspension for this because I'd say the Neil hit on Drury last season would have been far more deserving and that got nothing either.

If hitting was secondary to Scotty's game, why is he remembered as arguably the best hitter ever? He was absolutley a great all around defenseman, but hitting IMO was primary. Players kept thier heads up when he was out there. I don't know how much they feared his slapshot from the point!

Old
12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Cullen was too busy lying face down motionless to be doing much crying. But other than that, the hit was completely clean. Orr's hands initially made contact with Cullen's chest/shoulder, he never left his feet, and Cullen still had the puck.

Coming in 2008: The Reebok Edge Skirt, replacing hockey pants throughout the league.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Cullen was too busy lying face down motionless to be doing much crying. But other than that, the hit was completely clean. Orr's hands initially made contact with Cullen's chest/shoulder, he never left his feet, and Cullen still had the puck.

Coming in 2008: The Reebok Edge Skirt, replacing hockey pants throughout the league

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Why is the hit questionable though? This is what I don't get? He stood the guy up as he crossed over the blueline. It was an excellent open ice hit, and unfortunately for Cullen they hit heads. I don't want to see anyone injured like that. But...the physical game the Rangers played last night was a total breath of fresh air, and hopefully the trend continues. This team is certainly not soft, and when they play games like that it shows they deserve to be atop the East in the standings this year. Hollweg IMO also played a solid game last night, and threw the body around pretty good. I want to see a 4th line that punishes the opposition. That's what they are there for. I applaud Orr for the open ice hit. Again, not that I want to see Cullen injured, but I do want to see this Ranger step it up in the physical department, especially when they really needed to turn around thier recent losing ways.

Old
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHarleyHardtail View Post
It was CLEARLY a blind sided hit....
In my NHL, you do not have to alert the opposing player and adjust your trajectory path to ensure that he knows you are coming.

Maybe that's some Nuuuu NHL rule or some figment of the imagination of some Nuuu NHL fan? As if a blind-side hit is "less manly"?

As long as you do not take too many strides or hit too long after the puck is released or go in high with your stick (or hit from behind), you can put the body to a guy - even if he does not see you.

In fact, any player worth a nickle will not pass up the opportunity.

This is painful.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Awful way of looking at a GAME. Its a game, not a war. Lives are at stake for a game???

Some people are still bloodthirsty from the neanderthal days, guess we can blame a little of this on our biology, shame

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote