HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*** happened to Hockey? Colton Orr hit!

Old
12-28-2007, 01:51 AM
NorthStar4Canes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Obviously. He's talking about a teammate. If someone on the Canes laid someone on the Rangers out like that I guarantee you his opinion would be different. He'd say something like, "Well, it's unfortunate but it's hockey and I know my teammate wasn't trying to hurt anyone." It's all about perspective. I could give a crap what Glen Wesley has to say. Cullen got rocked. Keep your head up. Or else that'll happen everytime Matt. And Orr...if you see twenty more players this year skate into the zone with their head down, you do the exact same thing. Worrying about other players in the league? Give me a break. Play within the rules. And help your team win. Orr did both of those things.
You can't make that guarantee, or assign Wesley his opinions, or put words in his mouth about "what he would say if roles were reversed". He obviously spoke for himself. You're basically calling him a liar about the code of respect.

He obviously does know if players make every hit a hit to injure at every opportunity....he's been in the NHL 20 years delivering hits and recieving them. You've been there....um.....none? That right there means the only perspective YOU can possibly have is looking up from the Bush Leagues. For all I know, he's played in the NHL longer than you've been alive.

Love your coaching tips tho. I'm sure Matt (and it's Mr. Cullen to you), Orr, and Wesley could all use some of your wisdom

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 06:58 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
You can't make that guarantee, or assign Wesley his opinions, or put words in his mouth about "what he would say if roles were reversed". He obviously spoke for himself. You're basically calling him a liar about the code of respect.

He obviously does know if players make every hit a hit to injure at every opportunity....he's been in the NHL 20 years delivering hits and recieving them. You've been there....um.....none? That right there means the only perspective YOU can possibly have is looking up from the Bush Leagues. For all I know, he's played in the NHL longer than you've been alive.

Love your coaching tips tho. I'm sure Matt (and it's Mr. Cullen to you), Orr, and Wesley could all use some of your wisdom
So I guess you must feel the same way about the Stevens hit on Lindros, Campbells on Umberger or many of Phaneuf's hits during the last couple of seasons, right? I respect Glen Wesley but your reading in to what he said. This thread could go on forever -- I still think that since the hit was delivered by a goon versus a respected, hard hitting d-man (say Phaneuf or Stevens in his prime) that people are going to automatically judge it to be worse because of who the hittee is!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Wow imagine that, actually watching footage before you speak. Novel concept!! If only all Isles fans tried that, this would be a much better place.

BTW how where the holidays, HBNYC? Hope they where good. Last Christmas before the big day, right? Good luck and have a Happy New Year.
Holidays where great, thanks for asking. Hope you and the fam had a great time - whats on tap for New Years?

Yeah... last Christmas before the big day. Itll be here before we know it. Personally its the honeymoon im looking forward to, more than the wedding.

Barcelona and then a cruise to France and Italy for 10 nights. Can't wait for that

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Blueshirt13

Didn't see this posted anywhere but from today's Daily News, no fine or suspension for Orr's hit. Campbell didn't even hold a hearing over it

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...toronto-4.html

Quote:
COLTON IN CLEAR: Colton Orr's hit that knocked Carolina's Matt Cullen unconscious and broke his nose Wednesday will not result in a fine or suspension as NHL VP Colin Campbell ruled it unworthy of a hearing or review.

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 09:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Unworthy of even a review.

HA...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Unworthy of even a review.

HA...
The only thing worthy of a review on that play was the refs mind-boggling poor call

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
The only thing worthy of a review on that play was the refs mind-boggling poor call
Over-reaction in the heat of the moment.

Not even worthy of review... damn right..

let the *****ing begin...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistyO View Post
What the hell happened to hockey when you get an "interference" major when you hit a guy (hard) after he crosses the blue line if he has the puck, whether he was looking or not. If this is what hockey has become it is a shame.
Scott Stevens would have never had a career.
that call made me really angry. I've never even herd of a 5min penalty, except for fighting. If this gets reviewed by the NHL i will seriously stop watching hockey (not really) but that would be rediculus. Why would Orr want to hurt cullen? they were team mates last year, ad from what i know they were friends. If Orr never put his hands up it would have been the shanny thing all over again. When i watched the replay all i could say was "Thats what you get for being happy about going back to Carolina. He had it coming"

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Well first, Commodore is no enforcer or team protection, so no it's not a perfect example. Enforcers have pretty much disappeared due to the rule and rostering changes forced on them. I'm sure all teams would love to have at least one player dedicated to that

And what could Orr have done? Adjust. That's what professionals who make their money living on skates with their ability can do. Bush Leaguers probably can't, or won't because they still think they have something to prove. Wesley's point was lost on you I guess. Making someone pay for dropping their head is the Bush League attitude Wesley was talking about. Dropping your head makes you vulnerable, but making that mistake doesn't automatically mean the other guy has to use that opening to maximum effect if he sees it. Certainly you make someone pay for chippy play, cheap shots, running your goalie etc. Orr is a stand-up enforcer which even an old-time non-fighter like Wesley respects, but it sounded like he was seriously disappointed that he had a go at Cullen while seeing him in that positon, instead of adjusting and merely just dumping him.

Wesley thinks Orr could have done something different that players already do, or have done. You think there's nothing Orr could have done and did everything right. Who am I to believe....a 20 year NHL veteran?...or you.

1)That is a ridiculous and inaccurate blanket statement made by someone who is viewing the league through the eyes of his own team. Just because the Canes choose not to dress a tough guy on a nightly basis doesn't mean the rest of the league still doesn't. Take a look around the league and see how many teams have a player dressed who is essentially just there for his fighting ability. Here I will help you.....

Anaheim - George Parros
Atlanta - Eric Boulton
Boston - Shawn Thornton
Buffalo - Andrew Peters
Calgary - Eric Godard
Carolina - ??
Chicago - David Koci
Colorado - Scott Parker
Columbus - Jody Shelley
Dallas - Krys Barch
Detroit - Aaron Downey
Edmonton - Zach Stortini
Florida - ??
Los Angeles - Raitis Ivanans
Minnesota - Boogeyman
Montreal - ??
Nashville - Darcy Hordichuk
New Jersey - Clarkson
Islanders - Bootland, Jackman
Rangers - Orr
Ottawa - McGratton
Philadelphia - Riley Cote
Phoenix - Josh Gratton
Pittsburgh - Big George
San Jose - ??
St Louis - Matt Walker
Tampa Bay - Andre Roy
Toronto - Wade Belak
Vancouver - Jeff Cowan

2)You keep bringing up Wesleys comments. What do you think Wesley is gonna say?? Cullen is on his team. You think he is gonna come out and say "Hey Matt needs to keep his head up next time, it's his own fault". What kind of teammate would he be saying that? You have to view this in terms of perspective. If a player from a neutral team like Joe Sakic came out and said something about this then you would have a basis for using that in any argument.

Take a step back and take off your Carolina colored glasses for a second. Your coming across as a fan who is upset about one of his players taking a big hit and trying to parlay that into something that it isn't.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 12:36 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

[QUOTE=TomLaidlaw;11791271]1)That is a ridiculous and inaccurate blanket statement made by someone who is viewing the league through the eyes of his own team. Just because the Canes choose not to dress a tough guy on a nightly basis doesn't mean the rest of the league still doesn't. Take a look around the league and see how many teams have a player dressed who is essentially just there for his fighting ability. Here I will help you.....

Anaheim - George Parros
Atlanta - Eric Boulton
Boston - Shawn Thornton
Buffalo - Andrew Peters
Calgary - Eric Godard
Carolina - ??
Chicago - David Koci
Colorado - Scott Parker
Columbus - Jody Shelley
Dallas - Krys Barch
Detroit - Aaron Downey
Edmonton - Zach Stortini
Florida - ??
Los Angeles - Raitis Ivanans
Minnesota - Boogeyman
Montreal - ??
Nashville - Darcy Hordichuk
New Jersey - Clarkson
Islanders - Bootland, Jackman (DON'T Forget my boy Simon)
Rangers - Orr
Ottawa - McGratton
Philadelphia - Riley Cote
Phoenix - Josh Gratton
Pittsburgh - Big George
San Jose - ??
St Louis - Matt Walker
Tampa Bay - Andre Roy
Toronto - Wade Belak
Vancouver - Jeff Cowan

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 01:05 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

Code of respect? Huh? Does this come before playing hockey the right way? The hit wasn't dirty. Was Cullen in a vulnerable position? Maybe. But that's his own fault. Orr isn't obligated to make sure Matty boy is okay after he hits him. So let's say Orr pulls off in order to not hurt him because of this "code of respect" that you talk about, the puck is dropped back to another Canes player as it was, that player shoots, and because Orr didn't hit Cullen, he's standing right by the side of the net for a tap in. Orr did everything right on that play. Sucks Cullen got hurt. But it happens. And if Mr. Cullen took my coaching tips, he wouldn't have his face all stitched up and a concussion. So thanks.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
rangers4ever2007

let's face it.. if the NHL is gonna take away that part of the game, orr will practically be useless on the rangers 23 man roster

might as well call up greg moore (who is a better fit anyway if renney continues to roll 4 lines)

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I still have no idea how that earns an interferance penalty.

12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Haha, same here SBOB. How do you get called for interference after hitting a player carrying the puck? I think we are owed an explanation from somewhere as to why that call was made.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Haha, same here SBOB. How do you get called for interference after hitting a player carrying the puck? I think we are owed an explanation from somewhere as to why that call was made.
I'll save you the trouble of hearing it from the ******** official himself.

"Injured player, call something, fast, FAST, we don't want to get burned for this and act like we weren't paying attention" - Referee 1

"I was just thinking about what me and my wife are going to do later today" - Referee 2

"Yeah me neither, this game sucks.." Linesmen 1

"Interference sound good?" Referee 2

"K, I'll go tell this old **** Shanahan and Mr. Plaid Jacket Renney" Referee 1

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
I'll save you the trouble of hearing it from the ******** official himself.

"Injured player, call something, fast, FAST, we don't want to get burned for this and act like we weren't paying attention" - Referee 1

"I was just thinking about what me and my wife are going to do later today" - Referee 2

"Yeah me neither, this game sucks.." Linesmen 1

"Interference sound good?" Referee 2

"K, I'll go tell this old **** Shanahan and Mr. Plaid Jacket Renney" Referee 1
So call roughing. That seems to emcompass anything.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
According to the guys from NHL on The Fly, the rule is new this year. This way the refs can call "serious headshots"

That call was a joke and it was obvious that the result of the hit dictated the penalty. I'm willing to give the ref a break had he called it a minor for roughing/elbowing(even though Orr's elbows are down, it happened so quick I would understand the mistake). It was such a fast play and violent looking I understand the call for a penalty but no way in hell should it have been 5 minutes and a misconduct.