HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Out of curiosity what would Modano bring

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Out of curiosity what would Modano bring

He is signed for this year and next at around 9 mill. I know he is the face of the Stars and Zubov is more likely to go if the Stars pull back but I am interested in what others feel he is worth. Given the jagr trade it does not seem like much but the contract length is more reasonable. As a Detroit native, would he bring Zetterberg and a first?

Old
01-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
He isnt tradeable IMO.

I wouldnt trade him if i was Dallas.

but for fun....i wouldnt know where to start....you cant really rate the value of a player like Modano in trades...well i cant

Old
01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Egil

Modano would pass through waivers, IMHO.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Mizral

I suspect the Wings would offer Henrik Zetterberg straight across for Mike Modano. No kidding. Modano would probobly finish his career in Michigan (he was born there, rumoured to be wanting to go there after Dallas anyways), and the Wings need a centreman anyways.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I suspect the Wings would offer Henrik Zetterberg straight across for Mike Modano. No kidding. Modano would probobly finish his career in Michigan (he was born there, rumoured to be wanting to go there after Dallas anyways), and the Wings need a centreman anyways.
9 million dollar players who are having ATTROCIOUS seasons do NOT get quality young players, EVER.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:31 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
they wouldnt

they need a centermen, so they wouldnt trade one for him. The only way they would go after Modano is if he could be had for a Hudler, Grigorenko, or picks, or a combo of the above.

If that doesnt get him, then they will just sit back and wait till hes a free agent. If he has another year next year, like he did this year. He wont re-up in Dallas.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
they wouldnt

they need a centermen, so they wouldnt trade one for him. The only way they would go after Modano is if he could be had for a Hudler, Grigorenko, or picks, or a combo of the above.

If that doesnt get him, then they will just sit back and wait till hes a free agent. If he has another year next year, like he did this year. He wont re-up in Dallas.
Yeah, I could go for Hudler, Grig and/or picks for Modano. He is damn expensive but he is what we need. Obviously, he would need to pick up his game but he is the kind of all star centerman we need. Lang, if he is being sold, would help us a lot.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD

I would love it if the wings did that. Anyone think that Dallas would take CuJo to get better value for Modano?

Old
01-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Takeo

Not a whole helluva lot. Unless of course you're talking NYR.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:25 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
9 million dollar players who are having ATTROCIOUS seasons do NOT get quality young players, EVER.
I'd say his reputation far exceeds and cancels out any troubles he's had on the ice this season.

01-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
I'd say his reputation far exceeds and cancels out any troubles he's had on the ice this season.
I would say his 9 mil per year price tag, along with his age, making it a gamble that is not worth taking. NONE of the 9 million dollar men could fetch much in a trade.

Remember, these guys ALL signed the HIGHEST contract offer they saw. That means NO OTHER team was willing to pay them more than what they are making. When their play declines (which happens to most players in their 30s), the amount they would fetch as a UFA is less than what they are currently making. This means that NO team would sign Modano to a 9 mil per year deal (I doubt he would get more than 6). As such, if he was placed on waivers, why would anyone claim him? If Dallas wants to move him, they are either eating some salary, or some other overpaid slob.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:41 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
As such, if he was placed on waivers, why would anyone claim him?
Because if I can add one of the top ten players in the league in terms of pure, raw talent without sacrificing anything but money, I would do it in a heartbeat, and you can bet there'd be at least a half dozen teams doing the same.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:43 AM
LaVal

even if Modano was having one of his better seasons i couldn't see him getting much of a return, unless it was high priced players coming back.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Mizral

Honestly, as a Canuck fan, if we could afford him, I'd move quite a lot for the guy. Wings fans are really underrating this guy. Modano is a massive difference maker in the playoffs. Bad season or not, you will not get a superstar like Modano for Jiri Hudler.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:28 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Because if I can add one of the top ten players in the league in terms of pure, raw talent without sacrificing anything but money, I would do it in a heartbeat, and you can bet there'd be at least a half dozen teams doing the same.
BS. Then why not just offer every UFA 15 mil per year? Theoretically, any UFA that signs the bigges offer could be put on waivers and pass through, should their play stay the same. Modano's play has not only not stayed the same, but it has gone down. As such, since no other team was willing to pay him 9 mil per year at level x, why would any other team agree to pay him 9 mil per year at level y, when y < x? It makes no sense.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:42 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Does he have a NTC?

Old
01-26-2004, 02:56 AM
Joe Maximum

According to a poster's name, he should fetch something along the lines of God...

Old
01-26-2004, 03:19 AM
Coffey77

Even with a crappy season, I would love to add Modano to Detroit.

not sure what I would give up though. I also don't think there are a ton of buyers for Mike right now given his play and salary. and with Detroit' payroll the way it is right now, I'm not sure they are either.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:19 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Well, to be honest, if Buffalo could clear the salary room (i.e Satan, Biron, and Zhitnik), I would pay quite a bit for Modano. How about this proposal:

To Dallas: Zhitnik, Satan
To Buffalo: Modano

With Zhitnik a UFA after this season, Dallas drops approx 4.25 million off the payroll.

Then Buffalo can peddle Biron off somewhere else for change.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:30 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
BS. Then why not just offer every UFA 15 mil per year? Theoretically, any UFA that signs the bigges offer could be put on waivers and pass through, should their play stay the same. Modano's play has not only not stayed the same, but it has gone down. As such, since no other team was willing to pay him 9 mil per year at level x, why would any other team agree to pay him 9 mil per year at level y, when y < x? It makes no sense.
Because I'm sure he felt some loyalty to Dallas to sign there. I wouldn't doubt he was offered more, but chose to stay in Dallas for less, when he was unrestricted, or if he ever made it to that point even with the franchise, locking himself to a long-term deal with the team he was great about playing for.

Also, some teams could offer him 15 million, and he wouldn't want to play for them. i'm sure Columbus could've offered that much, but would Modano take that much to go play for a basement team, knowing how long he's been competative?

Old
01-26-2004, 05:10 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Modano wouldn't command much in return, to be honest. Two reasons:

A) He makes 9 million.. few teams can afford such money..

B) He is 33 and has contemplated to retire for a few years now, he's lost fun in the game. And with the way he's playing right now, he could very well hang 'm up before he even starts to decline, talentwise.

Then again, Modano has been a top 5/10 player for over a decade and is among the elite of the elite. Either way, the Stars wouldn't even consider trading Modano, he's the face of the franchise and we are still in the playoff hunt.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
If the Stars are selling then we could get him for a package of Hudler/Grig/Picks if that is what needed. They have wanted to cut salary. They lost Hatcher because of that and he was one of thier franchise players I believe.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:38 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Does he have a NTC?
Make a wild guess, does the franchise and team Captain has a NTC, if players such as Turgeon, Young, Guerin and Matvichuk have one?

Old
01-26-2004, 05:43 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Make a wild guess, does the franchise and team Captain has a NTC, if players such as Turgeon, Young, Guerin and Matvichuk have one?
They gave MATVICHUK a NTC? Yikes.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
They gave MATVICHUK a NTC? Yikes.
Our currently best defenseman should have a NTC, yeah..

Closed Thread