HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

Old
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
JVR at the under-18s was the tournament's defining player until the final -- he has a star turn in the semi-final. He wasn't a concern for Columbus, not much anyway. He wasn't going to be there at 7. In the book, but not quite one of the stars.
Gotcha', thanks. I look forward to reading the book.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Colt.45Orr

This book sounds interesting and the author is well spoken... I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

Sounds like a great read. I hope Gare Joyce makes some money and writes some more.

I'll pick it up soon.

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Duff88

Gare, I think you owe me a few bucks for starting this thread which, although it was not my intention, resulted in a huge raise in sales.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:04 AM
WesternCollegeHockey

Quote:
There was a lot of stuff that hit the cutting-room floor. Didn't have Minnesota high school but I will if there's an added chapter for the paperback. I did a sidetrip to the US Development program but it didn't make the cut (would have been different if CBJ drafted a kid from the program). Didn't include a couple of trips around the O, a couple of stops in the Dub playoffs (I was close to doing tossing in something from Prince Albert-Brandon playoffs). I was given hard and fast page count to work from -- had to put endnotes and acknowledgments side by side just to hit the # of pages exactly. But the one thing I'll add for a paperback is Minnesota high school.
Any chance you'll make it to the XCel Center for the Minnesota HS championships?

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
gare joyce

I have to say that I was really intrigued by the Minnesota high school scene when I was out in Minneapolis last week. I'd love to make it out for the tournament but I have to see how my schedule falls around that time.

True story: When I was in Minneapolis, I landed right at the same time as that blast of Arctic cold--in the midwest you might still be thawing out from the frigid temps. I was driving in my rental car Sat morning, listening to the news. Then comes the weather:

"Minus-20 with a wind chill of ..."

Well at minus-20 F wind chill sorta ceases to matter. Brutal cold. That was the daytime high. Then a jump to sports and, I kid you not, coverage of the national pond hockey championships. An official says:

"If it gets really cold we might have to look at changing the length of the games or moving the games around ..."

My question to you WCH, what exactly is really cold if not minus-20 or minus-29?

There's hardy and then there's foolhardy. I digress. I don't think of myself as soft but my blood is too thin for that cold.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
I have to say that I was really intrigued by the Minnesota high school scene when I was out in Minneapolis last week. I'd love to make it out for the tournament but I have to see how my schedule falls around that time.

True story: When I was in Minneapolis, I landed right at the same time as that blast of Arctic cold--in the midwest you might still be thawing out from the frigid temps. I was driving in my rental car Sat morning, listening to the news. Then comes the weather:

"Minus-20 with a wind chill of ..."

Well at minus-20 F wind chill sorta ceases to matter. Brutal cold. That was the daytime high. Then a jump to sports and, I kid you not, coverage of the national pond hockey championships. An official says:

"If it gets really cold we might have to look at changing the length of the games or moving the games around ..."

My question to you WCH, what exactly is really cold if not minus-20 or minus-29?

There's hardy and then there's foolhardy. I digress. I don't think of myself as soft but my blood is too thin for that cold.
Actually, it's colder today than it was for the US Pond Hockey Championship! I'm never one to complain, because although I'm proud to be a Minnesotan, some of you Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and western Ontario residents put our temperatures to shame!

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:57 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

I consider -20s to be pretty cold. Basically anything that gets the stuff inside your nose to freeze is cold in my book.

It should be warmer by March though. It's a really down year as far as draftable talent in Minnesota, but the tournament should be great this, as it's a pretty wide open field.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:32 AM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

Picked up the book last week and couldn't put it down, getting through it in two days. Just wanted to say you did a great job Mr.Joyce and it was too bad you couldn't get into the war room for the 07 draft.

CanadienDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:17 AM
gare joyce

Dude, thanks. You know, it would have been great to have been behind closed doors again but I tried to make the best of the situation and look at the combine/draft a bit from the players' side. In the end, I think scouting in general and the combine in particular is an attempt to learn something that's unknowable--what an 18-year-old will do, what he'll become. Not unknowable because you can't tell physically. More because you can have no idea what he wants to do emotionally/psychologically. You can guess, but you can't know for certain. So a lot of smart people end up looking short-sighted.

Thanks again.

Old
02-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Colt.45Orr

Finished the book in 2 nights (my students were wondering why I was so grouchy: I had been up till 3am reading the night before).

Great book, very well done sir... I've recommended it to a dozen people already.

A couple questions/observations for the author:

1) I always admired Russell with the Tigers and thought he was superior to the larger and highly hyped Barker. Spending so much time around the Blue Jacket boys you must have heard more on Russell then you mentioned in your book, no? You wrote a fair amount on him (from your POV) but I'm wondering what sort of things you overheard. Your book would seem to suggest that you (and others) were quite surprised he made the NHL this year?

2)I have a friend who has met Mueller and considers him a cocky SOB in a Jeremy Roenick mold! (but he is also a biased Vancouver Giants fan). Everything I have heard and seen from Mule suggest otherwise.... what is your take on his personality from the time you were observing there? What is your take on former teammate and current Bruin Zach Hamill? There must have been talk on him around the WHL scouting circa that didn't make it past the editing floor.

I have way more questions, but will respect your time by keeping it short. Thanks for writing this book --it was a treat.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
gare joyce

Sorry I've been out of touch. In, of all places, Albania, on assignment a long way from hockey. Colt, all your pts are good ones. Since I first saw Barker I've never figured out why he was ranked so highly. What's more, he has always struck me as a little dense. Maybe more off the ice than on. Just a quick impression. Mueller, cocky, worst of it was @ u-20 but doing it with men (even young men in the case of Coyotes) will humble him a bit. Bit of a lug, reminded me of Tracey Flick's opponent in Election. Russell gets a lot of pts for hockey IQ ... not a safe bet to make the league (yes, I know he's playing, but to make an impact on a winning team is really making it) but a very safe bet to max out his talent. Hamill, well, Boston guys are mad at me about Kessel so I going to pass on this one--read into that what you want.

Old
02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Sorry I've been out of touch. In, of all places, Albania, on assignment a long way from hockey. Colt, all your pts are good ones. Since I first saw Barker I've never figured out why he was ranked so highly. What's more, he has always struck me as a little dense. Maybe more off the ice than on. Just a quick impression.
No, your impression is spot on.

02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
gare joyce

Well, Ti-girl, the only time a team might consider thickness an asset is when it pushes a contract in front of him. Barker will sign with an X.

Old
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
skg

I finished FGH a month ago and just completed "When the Lights Went Out" last week. For those who enjoyed "FGH", I highly recommend "WTLWO" as well. Couldn't put either book down. I found it very interesting the feelings of some players on the 87 team towards Pierre Turgeon and couldn't help feeling a similar parallel with Angelo Esposito. In Espo's case, he hasn't made the team in three tries because of his reputation as a soft player. Hockey Canada has obviously learned a great deal about the type of players needed for success and sending an all-star team comprising of the most talented players isn't always the best idea, as witness by the 92 team (Lindros, Neidermayer, Sydor, Kariya, Lapointe).

Gare, just wondering if you've heard anything about what happened with the 92 squad, a team that on paper, should have dominated. Thanks, and looking forward to your next book.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 06:03 PM
gare joyce

Thanks for that. I have friends (Tim Wharnsby for one) who covered that tournament. That's before I was in the loop. Off the many and various accounts of others, I'll answer that in question form: When was the last time Rich Cornacchia coached a team? Rick is a good guy but probably was poorly served by his selection. Goaltending sucked to boot. I don't know if they should have dominated. Shoulda got a medal tho'.

Old
03-07-2008, 03:08 AM
svgster

Just finished the book. Great stuff - really good read.

I have been to a few Major Junior towns and always found the local people very proud of their local team so it was sad to read about the Swift Current situation.

Didn't like the sound of Ian White - what a way to behave!

I didn't think Kessel came across that badly.

Really enjoyed the combine/interview stuff.

Would love to read the unpublished text.

svgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
animal74

I had briefly heard of the book before, now I'm going to definately get it! I also think Dave King's book on Russia looks good.

animal74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 01:18 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Anyone want to sell their copy that they've finished?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
wetcoastwhale

Read it a couple of weeks ago (stayed up most the night one evening) and loved the book. Very engrossing read. Keep up the good work.

wetcoastwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 06:38 PM
tiz

Amazing book, I couldn't put it down. While waiting for the Habs game today I just lay on the couch and read it completely. The 1st part of the book is good enough to be sold on it's own.

Thank you very much Mr. Joyce, I am going to be ordering "When the Lights Went Out" and look forward to your next book, perhaps a follow up with Dan Boyd? Your book is now in front of Moneyball on my shelf. Great stuff!

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 11:55 PM
gare joyce

My friends, I'm so flattered. I doubt I'll have a book out this fall, but the one after that, I promise. I'll link up some stuff here in a day or so. I'd love to do a small book on Mickey Renaud, but I don't think I can make it work. But I'm touched by your support and, to tell you the truth, even the criticisms of the book are thought out so well that I can't argue.

Old
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
mlugia
That other guy

I looked for it at the local Chapters but I couldn't find it, so I guess I'll pick it up some other time after my exams are over Looking forward to reading it before the draft though!

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia View Post
I looked for it at the local Chapters but I couldn't find it, so I guess I'll pick it up some other time after my exams are over Looking forward to reading it before the draft though!
It's not easy to find. When I bought mine, the entire store only had 1 copy, and when I went to buy it for a friend 2 months later, they hadn't ordered another one yet. Well worth the effort to find it, though.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
johnny canuckistan

I've seen the book in some unexpected places, such as Pages on Queen Street West in downtown Toronto. It's kind of an alternative bookstore, with a massive Cultural Studies section.

They have about 15 sports books in the entire store, and Gare's is one of them. Which I think is pretty cool....

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote