HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

Old
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
tiz

vCash: 500
I ordered mine on Amazon. I had a few friends ask me to order them copies since they couldn't find it in stores either.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
OHLArenaGuide

I got a copy this past weekend and finished it in two sittings. Loved the book - it's always nice to see a good, groundbreaking new hockey book come out since there's such a paucity of good works in the sport's literature.

One minor criticism I had, and it is a minor one, is that Gare seemed to be clutching his sources a little close. Perhaps there were some libel concerns or perhaps Columbus made him kept some things off the table, but part of what made Moneyball such a great read was that there really weren't any holds barred in terms of the players and the stories being told. An example - Columbus apparently wouldn't have taken David Fischer for any price - why not? It's never explained. (And yes, I've heard the stories, but it would have been nice to have some of the reasons for decisions expounded upon a little more.)

That said, it's probably the best hockey book I've read all year, and I would highly recommend it. Your treatment of Akim Aliu was quite even-handed; as a Knights fan I have watched him develop this year and I think he gets a little bit of the shaft for not being steeped in the culture of hockey, and for being strong-willed. I think he'll go on to great things.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
I've seen the book in some unexpected places, such as Pages on Queen Street West in downtown Toronto. It's kind of an alternative bookstore, with a massive Cultural Studies section.

They have about 15 sports books in the entire store, and Gare's is one of them. Which I think is pretty cool....
That is a very odd place to find that book.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Mancini0518

Does Borders have it? i went to Barnes and Noble and i guess it is only available for order in canada through Barnes and Noble. i guess my best bet would be amazon

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

I've read the book about 160 pages in, have seen some minor inaccuracies but love it...When your documenting the St. Michaels Majors and Peterborough Petes game you mention Jason Missiaen as the Majors goalie, he's indeed the backup but to Trevor Cann in Peterborough.....I love the book though I cannot put it down.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Ballgame

Hey guys,

I cant get this book in Philadelphia PA USA. Borders can get me a used copy for $140!!! I cant afford that. Amazon doesnt have them either.

So how does an American get a copy of this book?
I coach a local college hockey team and am very interested in learning from this book. Recruiting/scouting is hard. The biggest issue I deal with is "entitlement". Every kid I talk to (Im not NCAA DI) thinks they are getting a full scholarship. But the politics are insane.
Needless to say when I heard about this book I realized I have to get it. So how do I get it in the US?

I love Gares writing. I saw he will sign a copy if you go through his publisher?

There arent many good hockey books out there. Ryan Walter has some. Im reading "Money Players" now because I CANT GET THIS BOOK.

Gare, Ill buy it, just help me get it haha. Oh yeah I cant pay $140 haha

Ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgame View Post
Hey guys,

I cant get this book in Philadelphia PA USA. Borders can get me a used copy for $140!!! I cant afford that. Amazon doesnt have them either.
If you click "Used and New" on Amazon's US site, you'll see that the cheapest one is $27.95+shipping (as of this writing). It's shipping from the US though so at least it's not an international rate. Still pricey, but not $140.

You should also be able to buy it from Amazon.ca for $18.87 CDN. Standard international shipping is probably about $10 CDN. Again, a bit pricey but cheaper than dealing with Borders apparently is.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Ballgame

Thanks. Sucks having to spend $30 on a book. Its a good book, but expensive when you have family and $30 can buy a lot odiapers. Yeah I know, poor me

I'll look into the CDN, I think Gare said he would autograph if through his publisher. Not sure how long ago he said that

Old
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
incrosbywetrust

great book im actually doing a response on it now

incrosbywetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Ballgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
This isn't the Columbus braintrust talkin', just me but ... y'know when I saw Tlusty play last season, I sorta thought he played at one speed, no big burst.

(Just as I type that, the Swedes tie the game.)

As far Milan T, I think he's being very shrewd in picking his spots, very selectively pushing for Czech players. Kjell L might have pushed too hard too often for Swedes and others in the room would be tempted to tune him out. Not so Milan. More of a political process than you might imagine.
I really like this post. I have a lot of respect that can hold back and pick their spots. Because there is so much risk involved that people will throw it on the wall to see if it sticks

Quote:
I actually worked with this father but didn't realize that until after I had interviewed Patrick ... I knew the story for about a year prior to that but wanted to wait until P O'S turned 18. I wish Patrick the best. He has been through a lot. I printed what I was comfortable telling. Why do you ask?
Who is J O'S? Ive never heard of him. ***walks back under my rock***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
A fascinating read for sure. I recommend this book to anyone who is a draft junkie like myself. I ordered the book through amazon for those who can't find it at your local book store.

The book has gotten me even more excited for the draft here in Ottawa coming up in June.
Im learning how little the US cares about the draft. It wasnt on TV. I was online trying to get the best info on DET but was difficult. Maybe Im one in a small group of people that care. Now that the NHL Network is here they'll have more on the draft.
Being from Michigan and playing my youth and Jrs there and Canada I took from granted the exposure. People want it here in Philly, just not that many. Hockey in this area has gotten so much better in the 8 years. There are 7 Jr teams in the area. So soon we'll see kids stay in the area and play out their Jrs

Last edited by Ballgame: 03-19-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old
03-26-2008, 07:10 AM
svgster

Gare

One question that I forgot to ask before was the concept that you mentioned of OHL teams paying $$$ lump sons to lure the likes of Patrick Kane to play for them in the OHL rather than the College route. Is this allowed within the rules?

svgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Jiggs

Just got the book and am still early into it.. Being an Islander fan, I found the anecdote about Earl Ingarfeld at once hilarious and painful. I really felt for this guy who scouted the WHL all year just to have Milbury trade the #1 pick for Yashin. Can't wait to read the rest!

Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

I was surprised by Jordan Staal's reaction (or lackthereof) to Eric being in the Finals. I'm sure he's had to hear about his two older brothers all the time while growing up, but still, it's the Stanley Cup Finals.

great book though.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I was surprised by Jordan Staal's reaction (or lackthereof) to Eric being in the Finals. I'm sure he's had to hear about his two older brothers all the time while growing up, but still, it's the Stanley Cup Finals.

great book though.
The Staal's seem kind of weird when it comes to watching eachother play, the interest in eachothers careers just doesn't seem to be there. I also found that story about Jordan not even watching his older brother in the stanley cup finals extremely weird. For God's sake, it's your own brother.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:05 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I won a bet with my sister and I'm getting the book and a case of beer. I can't wait to read it, I've been wanting it for quite some time.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Realm

[QUOTE=Ballgame;13172780]

Its not J O's its P O's....Patrick O'Sullivan.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Pascal

Just bought the book based on the good feedback here. It's always good to support an author who posts on HF as well.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
TribalPhoenix
HFBoards Sponsor

Any chance that another one gets written? I understand that it was a bit of a one off that Maclean allowed that kind of access into the scouting world, but WOW - I would buy this book every year if it meant getting that kind of insight into each draft.

TribalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
gare joyce

[QUOTE=Realm;14350109]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgame View Post

Its not J O's its P O's....Patrick O'Sullivan.
J O'S is John O'Sullivan, father of P O'S.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
Any chance that another one gets written? I understand that it was a bit of a one off that Maclean allowed that kind of access into the scouting world, but WOW - I would buy this book every year if it meant getting that kind of insight into each draft.
My thoughts exactly. I just bought the book at the start of this week based on HF feedback for it, so far im about 100 pages in and absolutely love it. I love the insight into the Draft and there just is not enough of it around. I loved the draft video from the Blues and the Caps a cple years back as well, but it was just not as in depth.

I would also buy this book every year if it were redone with either same team or diff teams. Good on Doug McLean allowing access like that.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:49 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

I bought this book after an interview the author had in MTL with Mitch melnick on the Team 990 and I love it!

If another team would allow this type of access it would be great...

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Probably October.
Hey Gare, did the paperback come out yet? Does it have the section on Minnesota High Schools?

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Nighttrain

Just a bit of a bump for this book!

I read this one last fall and it was a fantastic read - I've recommended it to 6 of my friends or so and they all loved it! Funny enough I got Brassard, Voracek and Meuller in my pool but I passed on Kessel

Its up for 4.99 on chapters.ca which is an absolute steal.

Mr. Joyce does elude to an unnamed player having suspected heart problems - are we now to assume this player is Cheraponov?

Also my book is on loan right now to another friend....Does anyone have the website/blog address that we can visit to get the updates from?

Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
Just a bit of a bump for this book!

I read this one last fall and it was a fantastic read - I've recommended it to 6 of my friends or so and they all loved it! Funny enough I got Brassard, Voracek and Meuller in my pool but I passed on Kessel

Its up for 4.99 on chapters.ca which is an absolute steal.

Mr. Joyce does elude to an unnamed player having suspected heart problems - are we now to assume this player is Cheraponov?

Also my book is on loan right now to another friend....Does anyone have the website/blog address that we can visit to get the updates from?
The blog is:

http://scoutshonourbygarejoyce.blogspot.com/

But I guess Gare hasn't really updated it in the past year. Would like to get some followups as well. I thought the medical problem brought up was OCD, but I'm not sure. Would be interesting what the fallout would be if Cherepanov's heart problem was noticed at the combines, and nobody acted on it.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Madic

I picked it up from Chapters for that 4.99 deal as well (for a hardcover no less), great price. Haven't cracked 'er open yet, though.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote