HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

Old
01-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Nighttrain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
The blog is:

http://scoutshonourbygarejoyce.blogspot.com/

But I guess Gare hasn't really updated it in the past year. Would like to get some followups as well. I thought the medical problem brought up was OCD, but I'm not sure. Would be interesting what the fallout would be if Cherepanov's heart problem was noticed at the combines, and nobody acted on it.

Thanks for the link!

I remember the OCD comment as well - rumored to be someone he didn't scout on....I could never figure out who that was supposed to be, there were a couple guys it could've been.
I'm sure there was another comment in there about a prospect with a rumored heart condition. I wish I had the book here so I could double check!

Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
JorgeRocks!

Read that around a year ago. Really liked, learned a lot. Definitely recommend it to anyone. Surprised me, I thought it would be not terrible, but not as good as it was

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 09:15 AM
johnny canuckistan

$4.99 at Chapters? I wonder if Gare gets any royalties at all from that...

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

LOL, I should have read this thread last month! I was browsing Chapters and saw that this book was on sale for $4.99, and I was just about to buy it off amazon for $11.99.

Great read, I'm around page 150 now. Can't put it down, and this should be required reading for anyone interested in the world of NHL scouts.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
It is a good yarn and I enjoyed some of the behind-the-scenes insights.

Unfortunately, I was a bit taken aback by several factual mistakes in the book. From an author with Joyce's experience and reputation, they were surprising. They were just sloppy things that I was able to pick out without any research. Not sure if we should blame him or his editor, but whatever the case, a book should not have that many mistakes.

Regardless, there are so few books about scouting in general -- he mentions Prophet of the Sandlot about baseball scout Tony Lucadello, which I haven't read, but I do recommend Dollar Sign on the Muscle by Kevin Kerrane, which is also about baseball scouting -- and I know of no other books about hockey scouting, that I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If he ever does a reprint or update, he should have someone who knows their hockey a little better fix some of mistakes.

Last edited by Ryan Van Horne: 02-17-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Unfortunately, I was a bit taken aback by several factual mistakes in the book. From an author with Joyce's experience and reputation, it was surprising. They were just sloppy things that I was able to pick out without any research. Not sure if we should blame him or his editor, but whatever the case, a book should not have that many mistakes.
mind being a bit more specific?

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
LOL, I should have read this thread last month! I was browsing Chapters and saw that this book was on sale for $4.99, and I was just about to buy it off amazon for $11.99.

Great read, I'm around page 150 now. Can't put it down, and this should be required reading for anyone interested in the world of NHL scouts.
Is it the paperback? Does it have the Minnesota High School section?

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
mind being a bit more specific?
Not at all.

Page 81 – When writing about the draft day trade with San Jose, Joyce refers to Steve Mason as being one of the players Columbus drafted with the picks they got from San Jose for their second rounder. Steve Mason was taken with the 69th pick, which was Columbus’s pick. The player – other than Tom Sestito -- that they got that year with a fourth-round pick from San Jose was Ben Wright at No. 113.

Page 89-90 – Aaron Johnson is from Port Hawkesbury, N.S. In Footnote 20 on Page 90, Joyce says he’s from P.E.I., like MacLean and many other Columbus staffers.

Page 108 – Joyce writes about Nick Petrecki of the Omaha “Gamblers.” Nick Petrecki played for the Omaha Lancers. The Gamblers are the nickname of the Green Bay entry in the USHL.

Page 133 – Joyce refers to St. Michael’s Majors goaltender Jason Missiaen when writing about a game between the Majors and the Peterborough Petes. Missiaen – later drafted by Montreal – has only played for the Petes in his OHL career.

Page 318 – Joyce calls Jamie McGinn – the player he earlier named correctly because he was the player San Jose drafted with the second-round pick they got from Columbus in 2006 – “Dan” McGinn.

Page 323 – Joyce writes that Pittsburgh Penguins draft choice Alex Grant played for the St. John’s Fog Devils and that he played for the same team as Buffalo pick T.J. Brennan. Grant played for the Saint John Sea Dogs.

That's six mistakes that I found on first reading and without doing any fact checking (other than Ben Wright's name). I was able to pick those mistakes up just from what I know off the top of my head.

Old
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
I agree I noticed a lot of factual errors in the book...Mostly from USHL teams and USA High Schools. Like he has Mount St. Charles a school in Minnesota...It's in Rhode Island.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM
bdp

Nice, gonna check out Chapters and try to pick this up.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
fair enough, I noticed most of what Scribe mentioned, the ones with CHL/USHL teams and some players I'm familiar with.

It didn't really concern me too much as I found it didn't take a lot away from the content, but I was wondering if I was missing some more glaring problems with the text.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
Is it the paperback? Does it have the Minnesota High School section?
No it's the hardcover. It doesnt have that Minnesota thing, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Just finished. VERY interesting. Yeah he mentions the heart condition, but I dont think it's Cherepanov, because he pretty much saids Cherepanov is a flawless specimen the paragraph before.

Old
02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
gare joyce

Not Cherepanov. Stressed that in a sportsnet column after Cherepanov's death. Kid who was selected in the first four rounds, leaving it at that.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
Not Cherepanov. Stressed that in a sportsnet column after Cherepanov's death. Kid who was selected in the first four rounds, leaving it at that.
Ahh.

Nice to see you here! Thanks for writing the book! It was a great read. I hope you update your blog soon, I would love to read a followup to the book.

Old
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Gare,

Tried sending you a reply to your latest PM, but it wouldn't let me.

Says you've exceeded your stored private messages quota and you cannot accept further messages until you clear some space.

Old
02-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Just tried to buy the book on Chapters. Rather than being $4.99, at checkout it was $39.99. Not sure what happened, or if I am doing something wrong there. Any suggestions?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
The Staal's seem kind of weird when it comes to watching eachother play, the interest in eachothers careers just doesn't seem to be there. I also found that story about Jordan not even watching his older brother in the stanley cup finals extremely weird. For God's sake, it's your own brother.
I've certainly talked with althletes who are not "fans" of their own game in that they don't really watch closely and are much more interested in playing the game than watching someone else play it. Perhaps the Staal's might be that type of person.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I've certainly talked with althletes who are not "fans" of their own game in that they don't really watch closely and are much more interested in playing the game than watching someone else play it. Perhaps the Staal's might be that type of person.
Not to hijack Gare's thread, but dude, I had no idea you were still around the boards. You need to post on the prospects board more often.

Old
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I'm gonna have to check this out sounds good...I wonder if they have it where I live in nobody-here-knows-anything-about-hockey, Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Just tried to buy the book on Chapters. Rather than being $4.99, at checkout it was $39.99. Not sure what happened, or if I am doing something wrong there. Any suggestions?
Yeah, let me go get the manager for you.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
johnny canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Hmmm. Chapters is generally a Canadian business, maybe being located in the States puts extra fees on your order?

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
IslesNorway

Just ordered it from Chapters. The book was $15 and an additional $15 shipping to Norway. Not bad. Looking forward to reading it!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I'm gonna have to check this out sounds good...I wonder if they have it where I live in nobody-here-knows-anything-about-hockey, Florida.

Yeah, let me go get the manager for you.
Was that really reason enough to be a wise ass?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Hipster Doofus

Jus saw this thread, looks like a good read. I saw an earlier post to by it from your publisher but that link only links to local and online sellers. Its an old post so it maybe dead. Is there anyway I can still get the book signed if I order it?

Just read Moneyball and loved it, these type of books I find fascinating.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:36 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Jus saw this thread, looks like a good read. I saw an earlier post to by it from your publisher but that link only links to local and online sellers. Its an old post so it maybe dead. Is there anyway I can still get the book signed if I order it?

Just read Moneyball and loved it, these type of books I find fascinating.
Iwent from Future Greats and Heartbreaks to Moneyball. Both enjoyable if you like that type of thing. Moneyball was great.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Sticks and Pucks

hey mods, I bumped this thread to ask a very honest question. why was my post deleted?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote