HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery: Can't stand Toronto

Old
12-28-2007, 11:07 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
this is the kind of stuff this team needs...they need to play physical like they did vs the canes and have to become an intimidating team to play against
this is great. and this is avery being avery. this is how he talks to players, staff, fans, everyone. not just the media.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:11 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
also! the league needs this. They need someone who is gona have the balls to say w/e he thinks and make games enjoyable to watch...this is the kind of stuff that reinvigorates rivalries and if Avery can flare up the rivalry between the Rangers and Leafs, which he has done o so well, then thats awesome because im sick and tired of seeing this sport being "*********" by Buttman and his cronies...O and nice note at the bottom where Orr wont get any suspension of fine for his hit....they got one right for once

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I wouldn't even call that talking trash. I can completely relate to going back to places I've lived and pretending to care about seeing people I never really liked. Couple that with every person in Toronto recognizing you and having some stupid comment to make about how much they hate you and, yah, it doesn't sound like a dream vacation to me either.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
TheMetalChick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Well as long as he does his thing on the ice I could care less about his personal life, but it seems like before every game he has something to say.
I think thats a result of the media sticking a mic under his nose and constantly asking him questions all the time more than anything else. They probably ask the guy questions every single flippin day, and then whenever they get an answer like this it gets splattered all over the place. Im not "defending" Avery, but thats just how the media is.

TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
He cant stand Canadian hockey obsessed people... I wonder if he also hates new york hockey obsessors... Probably not...
2 COMPLETELY different people.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:52 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
"Why? Let's see. ... Because I don't enjoy hockey-obsessed Canadians. The exchange is not very good right now. And it's going to cost me a lot of money in tickets for people I don't even like."

This guy is a gem...people I don't even like. So true, so true

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 12:14 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
So you guys are saying he's great teammate and all he cares is team? From my understanding Laperriere absolutely hates him.. They were teammates in LA.

Certainly it's part of his personality or game to smack people, but why can't he leave it on the ice? No one likes Avery and he has absolutely no respect for anyone.

Whatever Avery is the team plays a lot harder when he's in the lineup. Quite often some player on the other team or even the whole team is pissed off and the Rangers tendency is they win more of these games. I have not heard much in the way of his teammates not getting along with him here. Anyway Ranger fans appreciate the emotion he brings nightly to the garden--you can take that to the bank.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 12:24 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Sean Avery pretty much said what I would have said about Toronto.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 12:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
So you guys are saying he's great teammate and all he cares is team? From my understanding Laperriere absolutely hates him.. They were teammates in LA.

Certainly it's part of his personality or game to smack people, but why can't he leave it on the ice? No one likes Avery and he has absolutely no respect for anyone.
The Rangers players seem to like him.Jaromir Jagr likes him and he doesn't like anyone

Who gives a rats ass what Lappy thinks?He doesn't like Avery because of what he said about French Canadians after Daniel Gauthier concussed Jeremy Roenick.The French guys hide behind the visors after running around the hitting opposing players

You are one to talk.Your team employed Claude Lemieux who had no respect for the opposing players.Are you old enough to remember Dino Ciccarelli's comments about Lemieux after he destroyed Kris Draper's face"?..."I can't believe I shook that guys hand".Lemieux respected the game.OK

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

I'd say he cares pretty much only about winning. That's one thing I do always get when hearing him talk. And there haven't been any incidents with any teammates in the locker room. He's the kind of player where the second he leaves you're obviously going to hate playing against him. But I think we've got a real good group of guys. And I don't think Sean's that stupid considering what a great situation he's in. He's got a chance to play deep into the playoffs, live in New York, and he's beloved by the fans.

Why can't he leave it on the ice? Because that's who he is. Obviously, he rubs people the wrong why. Why do you think so many people don't like him? He's not thinking before questions to be politically correct so some Avs fan has respect for him. He could give a damn. And this is the tri-state area. So he fits right in.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Synergy27

Just a quick question, if Avery had responded:

"Yeah, I always love going back to my hometown. Seeing my friends and family is a nice break from the daily NHL routine, and it's awesome to be recognized everywhere I go when I'm here."

A. Do you think it would have made the papers?

B. Do you think we would have a 2 page thread about it here?

The honest athlete is a great thing, and I encourage people to avoid cliches and be more real. In addition to being boring, I actually find it kind of condescending when I hear athletes pouring out lame old cliches when it is obvious they really feel differently.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
"He's nothing then a minor league player ar best. I dont see why I have to deal with him" Gotta love him
no doubt I love the guy for that stuff and thats what makes him who he is... but I don't want a guy captaining my team spewing that out..

now if it were a beer league team, thats another story....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Reds4Life

lol Avery is awesome not that I am Rangers fan, but this guy is great

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I agree, Avery says really dumb things sometimes but that's what comes with him.

Imagine Avery at a holiday dinner or something with the family?

Imagine Avery was in YOUR family, man that would really suck.

Blabber mouth central.

His on ice play continues to impress, then let him say whatever he wants so long as it doesn't hurt his on ice play or suspend him, or something.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:25 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
"Why? Let's see. ... Because I don't enjoy hockey-obsessed Canadians. The exchange is not very good right now. And it's going to cost me a lot of money in tickets for people I don't even like."

This guy is a gem...people I don't even like. So true, so true
I think his quote is misinterpreted. I see it as "everyone I know in Canada is crazy about hockey and I have to buy them tickets, so its gonna cost me alot because the Canadaian dollar is stronger right now and I have to spend alot money on tickets for people I dont even like."

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
I agree, Avery says really dumb things sometimes but that's what comes with him.

Imagine Avery at a holiday dinner or something with the family?

Imagine Avery was in YOUR family, man that would really suck.

Blabber mouth central.

His on ice play continues to impress, then let him say whatever he wants so long as it doesn't hurt his on ice play or suspend him, or something.
I dont think it would be too bad. I have met him before and he seems like a good guy. At the signing he took the time to take a picture with everyone of the hundreds of people at the places. He did not have to do that.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I think his quote is misinterpreted. I see it as "everyone I know in Canada is crazy about hockey and I have to buy them tickets, so its gonna cost me alot because the Canadaian dollar is stronger right now and I have to spend alot money on tickets for people I dont even like."
Nah, it's known that Avery doesn't like to talk about hockey when he's not at the rink. So in Toronto/Canada where people are hockey obsessed of course people are going to want to talk hockey with him and not about the latest fashion trends, this is something he dislikes.
In addition, he's from a city outside of Toronto; Pickering, Ontario. Therefore with a game in Toronto he's going to have to buy tickets for all these people who he grew up with but doesn't particularly like or so he says.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Keep talking Sean. The more you do, the fewer suitors you'll have come UFA time.

12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The best thing is that he says it in such a deadpan way, completely serious. I dunno, I find it funny to watch.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Transported Upstater

As a Toronto fan, I don't find this offensive or annoying.

Avery's just being himself. He is who he is, and if he compromised, he just wouldn't be the same.

I'm sure if he ever was traded to Toronto, he'd change his stance, but quotes like this are what makes Sean Avery Sean Avery. He gets under your skin and takes you out of your game, on and off the ice, and has some talent too. That's who he is. And I'm sure the Rangers don't want him to change his game.

Also, from an unbiased perspective, it's a bit refreshing not to hear the same cliches, too.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Also, from an unbiased perspective, it's a bit refreshing not to hear the same cliches, too.
In fact the Rangers trade Cliche for Avery!

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

That's why we love him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Krazy

Umm you do realize that when he was with elisha cuthbert over the summer he was talking about signing with Toronto, how much he has been dying to be a leaf, while he was still with the Kings.......It was all over the radio station 102.1 (thats like our big music station in TO)

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
GilliesGirlie

Here's an outsiders take on Sean Avery, take it or leave it

I don't hate the guy, don't like him either. The thing is, you know exactly what you are getting with him, he doesn't hide behind anything. You ask him a question you are going to get an honest answer. Can't fault a guy for that. But, I will say this the guy has talent, he's good at what he does. You know he's playing with all he has every shift, he's not a floater. That being said, sometimes the guy needs to just keep quiet he almost becomes like a circus side show. You wait to hear what he is going to say next.

What would concern me (if I were a Ranger fan) would be if/when he would wear out his welcome. He's the type of guy who can get on your nerves. It's working out in NY for whatever reason (Shanny's presence?) but I'd hate to see him become a problem.

I think he will always have to potential to really rip a locker room apart and become a problem within a team.

Just my .02

Kristie (aka KristieLovesSBates17)

Old
12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
oh and probably also the fact that there is a guy there who made up libel against him too....that probably adds to it a bit

is there going to be a pregame scrum?
God I hope so, but its doubtful considering Campbell is watching Avery closely.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote