HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

WCHA Thread

Old
11-16-2008, 11:11 AM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
I was surprised at the tie with Minny, but we're looking like a bad team so far...I was expecting better things after taking Michigan to 2OT last year at the GLI, and trying to build on it, but it doesn't appear they can turn the corner.

Maybe today they can get a win, Tech seems to do well against Minny.

I'm really surprised at Anchorage and Mankato so far.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
That was a nice third period for Tech yesterday.

DU...um that PP looks too much like the Avs PP...not a good thing. Hopefully Wiercioch can return for the Minnesota series.

Old
11-21-2008, 10:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
#1 Minnesota up 1-0 on #10 Denver, what a shot by Schroeder

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:33 AM
RabidBadger

I think AA has moved to the "they're for real" category after last night. Paul Crowder should be garnering some attention for Hobey consideration.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
This is a big weekend coming up for the WCHA to see in some respect where they stand against the rest of the NCAA as everyone but the Dogs/Huskies are doing the non-conference thing if they are playing at all. Peronally I think the Showcase should go the WCHA's way but I could see Air Force taking down both DU and CC but I think they both beat Colgate. Cornell is a good test for the Sioux, likely splitsville there. Kato should beat Bowling Green and BSU takes one at least from Tech like they did us, but I could see BSU sweeping that.
Just more fun in the WCHA.

Rabid Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:47 PM
RabidBadger

Michigan is more vulnerable this year than in the past, but still... And you can't count out a down-on-their-luck Sparty crew. If ever there is time for a turning point it's this weekend.

And yeah, it will be interesting to see if Air Force is for real in the all-Colorado matchup. It's been a bizzare year with AA and Mankato being so good and seeing NoDak and the Badgers foundering. Not to mention a shift in power with Hockey East being STACKED and the ECAC off to a good start. Aside from Minny (guh!) there hasn't been a real contender in the WCHA. This is the first time in a while I've had to worry about our conference maybe being on the losing end of non-conference play.

Old
11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
RabidBadger

There was an interesting blog on INCH about WCHA expansion:
http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...-ideas-afloat/

Quote:
Here are some of the finer points:
One of the initial ideas would create four 12-team conferences, with Niagara and Robert Morris joining Atlantic Hockey, Alabama-Huntsville joining the CCHA (briefly giving that league 13 teams) then Bemidji State joining the WCHA and Nebraska-Omaha switching from the CCHA to the WCHA.

Other ideas that have been kicked around related to the topic of conference realignment include a proposal to have the Ivy League schools (Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell and Colgate) break off from the rest of ECAC Hockey, leaving two six-team conferences. And seemingly forever, we’ve heard the threat of Big Ten hockey, if another one of that league’s 11 schools adds a hockey program (Illinois and Penn State are the most promising candidates) which would mean a six-team hockey conference there with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and one more member to be named later.
I'm all for Bemidji joining and there is always room for another team with an ugly bull on its uniform named the Mavericks. Nebraska is decent this year and I think Bemidji could improve its recruiting in a more prestegious conference.

While the Big Ten would be a pretty sweet conference (you're talking 23 titles in the conference) it would be too hard to not see teams like NoDak and DU twice a year. I look forward to pretty much every conference game the Badgers play; every team plays hard against them so losing those rivaries would be too much.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
guinness
those were the days

I feel another 4-30+ season coming on...

Really, I feel there's no hope for Tech any more.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
AFA showed they were for real last night...DU better be ready!

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I feel another 4-30+ season coming on...

Really, I feel there's no hope for Tech any more.
I feel bad for our friends in Houghton. I do like Tech and hate to see them struggle like this. But, if there's hope for AA and Mankato then any program can be turned around. A lot of people thought St. Cloud was a bust in the WCHA until Motzko made them a perenial playoff qualifier. Just drink heavily and savor the moral victories until that day comes.

Yeah, Jori, Air Force was awesome last night. That should be a great game with DU tonight.

Old
11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

First off, a big congrats to DU. First the handed the Gophers their first loss of the season and then Air Force. From what I could gather, AFA made DU earn their win. It wasn't like AFA got blown out, they kept pace with DU for much of the game.

Minnesota looks to be in a world of hurt right now...literally! No Barriball and Carman last night vs. MSU. Matson looks like he's done for the year (and that injury looked awfully painful just to watch too), which is really too bad because I thought he was beginning to hit his stride in the lineup. Stoa got tossed about six minutes in for taking Conboy into the boards. The good news for the Gophers is that they had some secondary guys and seldom-used guys like Miller and Larson step up.

And a news flash... MSU finally scores more than a goal in a game.

in other WCHA news...the Mavs earned 3 points vs. BGSU, the 'Dogs beat the Huskies in a rare one-game weekend set, UND splits with Cornell, Tech got swept by BSU scoring a grand total of one goal on the weekend, the Badgers beat both Michigan and MSU in the College Hockey Showcase, CC lost to AFA before beating Colgate and UAA had the week off.

in non-WCHA news....

Two big upsets, both involving ECAC teams.

The first were those feisty guys over at Canisius beating Clarkson in their building. In defense of the Golden Knights however, they are missing some keys guys, namely Phil Paquet and offense has been a problem for them.

The second (and bigger) upset was Mercyhurst defeating Princeton to win the RPI Holiday (Thanksgiving) Tournament. The final score was 6-4, and Ryan Zapolski was terrific between the pipes for the Lakers, stopping 46 of 50 shots in the win that included 21 in the 2nd Period and some grade "A" chances late in the third. On Friday, Mercyhurst beat host RPI 4-1 and Princeton downed Northeastern 5-3 in the semis. In the third place game yesterday, Northeastern beat RPI 5-1.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Minnesota looks to be in a world of hurt right now...literally! No Barriball and Carman last night vs. MSU. Matson looks like he's done for the year (and that injury looked awfully painful just to watch too), which is really too bad because I thought he was beginning to hit his stride in the lineup. Stoa got tossed about six minutes in for taking Conboy into the boards. The good news for the Gophers is that they had some secondary guys and seldom-used guys like Miller and Larson step up
Hey OC, how did Conboy and David Fischer look? still don't have the big10 networks yet, despite comcast telling me I would have it since I live outside of Philly now.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hey OC, how did Conboy and David Fischer look? still don't have the big10 networks yet, despite comcast telling me I would have it since I live outside of Philly now.
Conboy was ok, nothing he did really stood out in my mind. Fischer, I thought played really well. He looks to be getting better and better. IMO, he still needs to be a little more selective in where he fires the puck out of the defensive zone though. He's still tending to fire right up the middle and causing too many turnovers. It's better, but IMO still needs to be improved. Too many turnovers (and not just by Fischer) was one of the reasons why I think MSU was able to score as much as they did against the Gophers.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Colorado College wins 1-0 in Minnesota. First time Minnesota was shut out by CC at home in 53 years

Old
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
RabidBadger

We're going to be without hockey (the good kind) for a while so I'm going to post the WCHA power rankings for the 1st half as formulated by me:
1) Denver: The Good- Cheverie is playing well between the pipes and the yound defense is strong.
The Bad- Not much aside from minor distractions about Bozak and Weircioch possibly defecting from the program (which likely won't happen)
What needs to happen- Avoid the 2nd half swoon they had the past 2 seasons
2) Minnesota: The Good- Stoa has emerged as a good captain and Schroeder has lived up to his hype.
The Bad- The youth has showed recently with a small swoon. They need to toughen up because they unraveled when Michigan came in with aggressive hitting.
What needs to happen- Finish strong and be consistent.
3) Wisconsin: The Good- The All-World defense has gelled and the offense has depth.
The Bad- Horrible start, too many penalties (2nd overall in NCAA) and lazy play when leading.
What needs to happen- Play 60 minutes and Patrick Johnson needs to bury his chances.
4) CC: The Good- Richard Bachman has lived up to the expectations of every writer with a man-crush on him.
The Bad- The team has leaned on Bachman too much and has become a one trick pony.
What needs to happen- more goal support and build up early leads.
5) Duluth: The good- They can score this year! Justin Fontaine is on a tear and has a good supporting cast.
The Bad- There was a trouble with consistency, but they've been on a tear lately.
What needs to happen- Stalock needs to step up and steal more games. He will be the ultimate factor in their success.
6) NoDak: The Good- Eidsness is asserting himself as a starter.
The Bad- The defense is still suspect.
What needs to happen- Joe Finley needs to come back to stabilize the backline.
7) St. Cloud: The Good- Offensive depth; SCSU leads the NCAA in amount of players with a goal.
The Bad- They only play with enthusiasm every other game and the defense is a weak spot at times.
What needs to happen- Motzko needs to go psycho on players that taking shifts off ala Mike Eaves.
8) Mankato: The Good- The defense is strong and plays well every game.
The Bad- The offense is terrible with only 2 guys in double digit figures.
What needs to happen- Better scoring depth
9) AA: The Good- A strong start to the season with good performances by Paul Crowder and Tommy Grant.
The Bad- The beat down in the last game before the break has AA fans prognosticating their demise already.
What needs to happen- Play the way they did the 1st half and they'll be fine.
10) Tech: The Good- Houghton is surrounded by miles of beautiful nature.
The Bad- The injury bug derailed poor Tech before they started.
What needs to happen- Tech fans need to keep showing up to share their teams moral victories or fast forwarding through the season would work too.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
RabidBadger

Conference odds and odders:

WCHA players in the WJC Tournament: (F)Jordan Schroeder (F)Mike Hoeffel and (D) Cade Fairchild from Minny, (F) NoDak recruit Danny Kristo, (D) Ryan McDonagh from Wisco. (D)Cody Golobouf of Wisconsin is the lone collegian on team Canada. DUs Pat Wiercioch and Wisc's Brendan smith were among the final cuts for Canada.

There is a 4 way log jam for top scorer in the W with Garrett Roe, Chad Rau and the biggest surprises, UMDs Justin Fontaine and DUs Anthony Maiani all having 25 points (one point shy of the NCAA lead). Kurt Davis is tied with Greg Flynn of Air Force for the NCAA lead in points by a defenseman. WCHA players are representing well in the scoring dept.

Alumni notes: Former Giouxn Zach Parise is leading all U.S. players, and former collegians in the NHL, with 16 goals, 17 assists. He is 11th overall in the NHL. I'm of the mind he should be the captain of the 2010 US squad.

Gopher Thomas Vanek leads the NHL in goals with 24 and his team in points, and Goph Phil Kessel is playing to his potential with 31 points. Badger Danny Heatley is leading a moribund Ottawa team with 28 points and Pioneer Paul stastny is leading the 'Lanche with 26 points. Badgers Brian Rafalski and Ryan Suter, Gophers Alex Goligoski and Jordan Leopold and NoDak's Mike Commodore are leading their respective teams in defensive point production. Sure looks the NCAA produces inferior players to Canadian Juniors to me.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 12-16-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old
01-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Rabid Husky

This league is insane. Bemidji sweeps Tech, Tech sweeps Northern, Northern sweeps @ Wisconsin and UND barely sweeps Bemidji and also lost to Tech at the GLI.
Only Minnesota goes 2-0 in a holiday tourney and they needed overtime to do that. Are we just all mediocre this year?

Old
01-04-2009, 11:36 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
This league is insane. Bemidji sweeps Tech, Tech sweeps Northern, Northern sweeps @ Wisconsin and UND barely sweeps Bemidji and also lost to Tech at the GLI.
Only Minnesota goes 2-0 in a holiday tourney and they needed overtime to do that. Are we just all mediocre this year?

This is an off year in terms of powerhouses from the conference. It seems the other conferences have at least 2 legit title contenders: (CCHA) Miami (though they didn't look good this weekend)and Notre Dame, (ECAC) Cornell and Princeton seems to be for real, Hockey East could send 6 teams to the NCAAs this year. I'm not buying the Air Force hype because I don't see them winning the past the 2nd round of playoffs.

WCHAs best hopes are DU, and we'll need to see how they do without BOzak, and Minny. By the way, that was a quality win for them last night; Northeastern is the top team of Hockey East. CC should be better with who they have. UW was missing 3 key players this weekend but should have at least split. They may be a playoff team but it will be hard when you factor in teams like Michigan, Alaska, OSU, Maine, Quinnipiac, etc. are in a good spot for an at-large bid.

Old
01-15-2009, 05:51 PM
RabidBadger

Looks like the way is being paved for honorary little brother Bemidji State to join the WCHA. Here is one of the numerous articles that were on CHN: http://www.kxmc.com/Sports/320355.asp

Word through the vine is that when the CHA folds after this year Huntsville will likely go to the CCHA and Omaha will join the WCHA. I think they'd make a good fit; the program is headed in the right direction and thier style of play will make for some good rivalries in a hurry. There are already two Huskies teams in the league, why not two Mavericks?

Old
01-15-2009, 10:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Why would Omaha switch? Just as a question, not in disagreement.

How about Robert Morris and Niagra? AHA?

Old
01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
drossco

Another article about BSU

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/articl...2&section=News

drossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
RabidBadger

Omaha would switch because of its proximity to other WCHA schools; these are the rumors I'm regurgitating. With Alabama in the CCHA it cuts down on travel, which is becoming an issue with the economy, for both leagues involved. And yes, the other two are rumored to be headed to Atlantic.

Old
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Rabid Husky

The three possibles besides Bemidji would be UNO, NMU and AFA.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

St. Cloud got wasted 5-1 by Minnesota

Old
01-16-2009, 10:58 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
The three possibles besides Bemidji would be UNO, NMU and AFA.
AFA has stated they aren't going anywhere since Atlantic pretty well saved their program. Logistically it would make sense to take AFA, Omaha, BSU and send Tech and AA to the CCHA, OR somehow have both Alaska teams in the WCHA. Won't happen, though. I read on another blog that it would make sense to have the 24 "western" programs in 3 conferences rather than overload the C and WCHA. I don't have the energy to figure that one out....my sieve finger is too sore watching the UW/CC game tonight.