HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

WCHA Thread

Old
03-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
And your opening round matchups:

(1) North Dakota vs (10) Michigan Tech
(2) Denver vs (9) Alaska-Anchorage
(3) Wisconsin vs (8) Minnesota State
(4) Colorado College vs (7) Minnesota-Duluth
(5) Minnesota vs (6) St Cloud State

Let's get it on

Old
03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
And your opening round matchups:

(1) North Dakota vs (10) Michigan Tech
(2) Denver vs (9) Alaska-Anchorage
(3) Wisconsin vs (8) Minnesota State
(4) Colorado College vs (7) Minnesota-Duluth
(5) Minnesota vs (6) St Cloud State

Let's get it on
Those are pretty good match ups from top to bottom. If Tech brings their "A" game they will make NoDak work. AA has been gutting out some impressive wins. I give them "team of the week" honors for sweeping Duluth in their barn...only NoDak and Wisc. have won in Duluth this year. I'm going to be a homer and say Mankato is going down. The others are too close to call, although CC seems to be playing better than Duluth right now.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Those are pretty good match ups from top to bottom. If Tech brings their "A" game they will make NoDak work. AA has been gutting out some impressive wins. I give them "team of the week" honors for sweeping Duluth in their barn...only NoDak and Wisc. have won in Duluth this year. I'm going to be a homer and say Mankato is going down. The others are too close to call, although CC seems to be playing better than Duluth right now.
Wow you are a homer.The SIOUX are going to destroy the Techies,5-1 and 4-1.I just have a feeling the SIOUX aren't going to let the huskies hang around this series.DU in 2,bucky in 2,CC in 3,and the rodents in 3.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
and the rodents in 3.
Do i detect a hint of maroon and gold pride?

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Coldest day in hell when that happens.

Old
03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Let the games begin.The greatest part of the year for sports starts today and runs till the last game of the Stanley Cup.GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
I doubt there are any incriminating childhood photos of D-Sioux in Goldy underoos. I'm pretty sure his name is Homer and he has a pet named "Blaise" or something like that.

And yes, this is the time we all anticipate in sports. I switch shifts at work to catch the Frozen Four regardless of who is in it. That is my sports sabatical.

Old
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
RabidBadger

So much for Northern Michigan rejoining the WCHA: http://www.nmuhockey.net/?p=760

I guess it's down to Huntsville (please, no) or Omaha switching conferences with Huntsville joining the CCHA (please, yes). Omaha plays very similar to the other Mavericks, but generally with less thuggery. They'd make a nice addition to the conference.

Old
04-04-2009, 01:48 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
So much for Northern Michigan rejoining the WCHA: http://www.nmuhockey.net/?p=760

I guess it's down to Huntsville (please, no) or Omaha switching conferences with Huntsville joining the CCHA (please, yes). Omaha plays very similar to the other Mavericks, but generally with less thuggery. They'd make a nice addition to the conference.
I think Neb Ohmaha kind of hurt themselves a few years back. They were in a football conference with MSU, SCSU and UMD. Now they are out.

I would still like to see the WCHA add BSU and another team. And go with a 6 and 6 style.

DU, CC, AA, NoDak, Tech, Neb-Om

MSU, MN, SCSU, BSU, UMD, WI

Would suck for the 6 not located in MN. But home game would just alternate years.
For a 32 game conference schedule. They play 28 now.

If they wanted to keep it at 28. You could have split road games. Vs CC and DU in the same week end. SCSU, MN, MSU, UMD, WI are all close. As is BSU and NoDak.

If i really had my way. I would give up Tech to the CCHA for Neb-Oma and add Air Force to equal out BSU coming in.

The FF would be tough. But here is how it would play out. Or a few ways

Assuming in order
WCHA East WCHA West
DU MN
NoDak WI
CC SCSU
AFA UMD
Neb-Oma MSU
AA BSU

Neb- Omaha vs AA.
MSU vs BSU both games played on Monday night.
Say AA and MSU win.

Then you have 10 teams.

Criss cross leagues.

DU vs MSU
NoDak vs UMD
MN vs AA
WI vs AFA
CC vs SCSU both in third place. So it goes to a tie breaker for home ice. And the FF plays out like normal.

Old
04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Isn't the big problem with UNO a lack of desire to move to the WCHA?

Outside of that they'd be a natural fit in the conference. They'd have good built in rivalries with the Colorado schools.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I think Neb Ohmaha kind of hurt themselves a few years back. They were in a football conference with MSU, SCSU and UMD. Now they are out.

I would still like to see the WCHA add BSU and another team. And go with a 6 and 6 style.

DU, CC, AA, NoDak, Tech, Neb-Om

MSU, MN, SCSU, BSU, UMD, WI

Would suck for the 6 not located in MN. But home game would just alternate years.
For a 32 game conference schedule. They play 28 now.

If they wanted to keep it at 28. You could have split road games. Vs CC and DU in the same week end. SCSU, MN, MSU, UMD, WI are all close. As is BSU and NoDak.

If i really had my way. I would give up Tech to the CCHA for Neb-Oma and add Air Force to equal out BSU coming in.

The FF would be tough. But here is how it would play out. Or a few ways

Assuming in order
WCHA East WCHA West
DU MN
NoDak WI
CC SCSU
AFA UMD
Neb-Oma MSU
AA BSU

Neb- Omaha vs AA.
MSU vs BSU both games played on Monday night.
Say AA and MSU win.

Then you have 10 teams.

Criss cross leagues.

DU vs MSU
NoDak vs UMD
MN vs AA
WI vs AFA
CC vs SCSU both in third place. So it goes to a tie breaker for home ice. And the FF plays out like normal.
1. Didn't know Minnesota annexed the state of Wisconsin.

2. That setup really screws over Tech travel-wise given they are east of the entire "Minnesota + Wisconsin" conference.

3. Split road games don't work in the WCHA given you can't really have a travel partner like the ECAC or Hockey East has. There are a few schools within ninety minutes of one another (the U and St. Cloud/Mankato and Denver-CC), but going by the present rivals it's not feasible to have to back-to-back road games as most are four-plus hours away from one another. In addition, there's the whole issue of Anchorage being at least two time zones and thousands of miles from every WCHA school; without Alaska in the WCHA to even things out (which won't happen) it's a non-starter.

4. Can't really kick Tech out of the league due to the McNaughton Cup; plus they have already left the WCHA and returned once.

5. Despite being near CC and Denver, Air Force doesn't want to join the WCHA due to costs and the fact it can keep its rivalry with Army in Atlantic Hockey.

6. I do like the potential F5 system. With how much money the league makes with the present system at the X, they would be inclined to either add an extra Thursday game or keep the play-in game instead of dropping down to four teams like every other conference.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:29 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
2. That setup really screws over Tech travel-wise given they are east of the entire "Minnesota + Wisconsin" conference.
I dropped Tech. So thats why it worked that way.

Quote:
3. Split road games don't work in the WCHA given you can't really have a travel partner like the ECAC or Hockey East has. There are a few schools within ninety minutes of one another (the U and St. Cloud/Mankato and Denver-CC), but going by the present rivals it's not feasible to have to back-to-back road games as most are four-plus hours away from one another. In addition, there's the whole issue of Anchorage being at least two time zones and thousands of miles from every WCHA school; without Alaska in the WCHA to even things out (which won't happen) it's a non-starter. .
Mich and Mich St will play MN and WI in a spilt week end series. MN to UMD is at most 2.5 hour drive. MN to MSU is like 70 miles. MN to SCSU is about 60. MN to BSU is close to a 4 hour drive. But i have made it grand rapids in 3. So its a generous 4 hours. Grand Forks to Bemidjy is about 2 hours. All less than MN to WI.

Not every series has to be split. No one would split at AA. But AA could split in the lower 48.

Quote:
4. Can't really kick Tech out of the league due to the McNaughton Cup; plus they have already left the WCHA and returned once. .
If Tech keeps falling. I think for their own good they need to leave. How many MI kids grow up wondering about the Sioux or the Badgers. Vs playing almost all your games in your own state. Playing MI, Mich St, LSSU, Ferris, and more.

Quote:
5. Despite being near CC and Denver, Air Force doesn't want to join the WCHA due to costs and the fact it can keep its rivalry with Army in Atlantic Hockey. .
They can still play Army. Again MN and WI always play MI and Mich State. Outside of the big 4. Hockey IMO is going to slowly drift away. I do not like it. But its a reginol sport at the pro level. And with costs they way they are. I see it falling before it gets better.

Quote:
6. I do like the potential F5 system. With how much money the league makes with the present system at the X, they would be inclined to either add an extra Thursday game or keep the play-in game instead of dropping down to four teams like every other conference.
It woold still be 5 teams it would just break down a bit differently. Actually it would favor the #1 teams even more as the bottom teams would have to play an extra game in there. 4 games in 7 days if it went 3.

Old
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I dropped Tech. So thats why it worked that way.
Oh I missed that.

Quote:
Mich and Mich St will play MN and WI in a spilt week end series. MN to UMD is at most 2.5 hour drive. MN to MSU is like 70 miles. MN to SCSU is about 60. MN to BSU is close to a 4 hour drive. But i have made it grand rapids in 3. So its a generous 4 hours. Grand Forks to Bemidjy is about 2 hours. All less than MN to WI.

Not every series has to be split. No one would split at AA. But AA could split in the lower 48.
Yes, but that is one series every two years. Can you up with a travel partner system that works and makes more sense financially on a weekly basis than the present system?

Quote:
If Tech keeps falling. I think for their own good they need to leave. How many MI kids grow up wondering about the Sioux or the Badgers. Vs playing almost all your games in your own state. Playing MI, Mich St, LSSU, Ferris, and more.
If Tech is being kicked out for playing bad, then why is Anchorage (a team that in its twenty years as a member has never had home-ice advantage in the first-round) still playing? As far as playing some of their games in their home-state, Tech plays Michigan and Michigan State annually in the GLI and anon-conference series against Northern Michigan so that is presently covered. Finally, one of the reasons why Tech is in the WCHA rather than the CCHA is due to the fact Houghton is closer to Minneapolis than Detroit and their historical rivalries with Minnesota, Duluth and North Dakota.

Quote:
They can still play Army. Again MN and WI always play MI and Mich State. Outside of the big 4. Hockey IMO is going to slowly drift away. I do not like it. But its a reginol sport at the pro level. And with costs they way they are. I see it falling before it gets better.
Yes they can play Army on an annual basis, but the main reason why Air Force won't join the WCHA - despite it being a great fit geographically - is due to money. Atlantic Hockey suits the Falcons fine because it doesn't have to build a larger building (Air Force's current building is way too small by WCHA standards) and it is limited in recruiting by its own tough standards. Throw in the conference match-up with Army (which is important enough where the Falcons left the CHA to join a conference whose westernmost member at the time was in Pennsylvania) and there's no reason for Air Force to want to leave Atlantic Hockey as it is not in their best interest.

Old
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Felix29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Isn't the big problem with UNO a lack of desire to move to the WCHA?

Outside of that they'd be a natural fit in the conference. They'd have good built in rivalries with the Colorado schools.
I don't think UNO doesn't want to move to the WCHA. That was their first choice, but the WCHA wasn't expanding at the time.

Plus they are getting royally screwed with the trek to Fairbanks every year. They get non of the kick backs the rest of the CCHA gets for that same god awful trip.

I've said this before, but I would absolutely LOVE to watch WCHA teams as opposed to the CCHA anyday.

Felix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:38 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Yes, but that is one series every two years. Can you up with a travel partner system that works and makes more sense financially on a weekly basis than the present system?.
You would pair up CC and DU. BSU and NoDak. UMD and SCSU. MN and MSU. And with no AF or UNO. WI and Tech. WI and Tech are 6 hours apart. With AA having no pair for obvious reasons.

Quote:
If Tech is being kicked out for playing bad, then why is Anchorage (a team that in its twenty years as a member has never had home-ice advantage in the first-round) still playing? As far as playing some of their games in their home-state, Tech plays Michigan and Michigan State annually in the GLI and anon-conference series against Northern Michigan so that is presently covered. Finally, one of the reasons why Tech is in the WCHA rather than the CCHA is due to the fact Houghton is closer to Minneapolis than Detroit and their historical rivalries with Minnesota, Duluth and North Dakota.
I care about Tech. But i think of MI teams as being in MI. And as long as Tech is non competitive. I do not see that changing. You have to split the two alaska schools. That would be a killer to go to Alaska for twice a year. Theor rivarly goes way back. The gophers are bigger rivals with almost everyone else in the WCHA. and while we are not big rivals with DU or CC. They are great teams and the games are fun to watch.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:48 AM
MN_Gopher

Wondering what would an all WCHA team look like at the NHL level? For the future. I left off guys like Jason Blake and a few goalies.

I hate working nights.

Toews- Parise- Vanek
Stastny- Heatley- Kessel
Pavelski- Raymond- Oshie
Backes- Burish- Malone

Martin- Suter
Gilbert- Ballard
Niskanen- Stuart

Elliot

Old
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
You would pair up CC and DU. BSU and NoDak. UMD and SCSU. MN and MSU. And with no AF or UNO. WI and Tech. WI and Tech are 6 hours apart. With AA having no pair for obvious reasons.
That could possibly work if it was a ten team league without AA; however the odd number of teams kills a good setup due to one team having a bye. While it can still be done by having Anchorage face the travel partner of whomever has a bye for two games, it's not really an improvement over the present system and gives the Seawolves an advantage due to never traveling on Saturday.

Quote:
I care about Tech. But i think of MI teams as being in MI. And as long as Tech is non competitive. I do not see that changing. You have to split the two alaska schools. That would be a killer to go to Alaska for twice a year. Theor rivarly goes way back. The gophers are bigger rivals with almost everyone else in the WCHA. and while we are not big rivals with DU or CC. They are great teams and the games are fun to watch.
I'm just going to agree to disagree although I do love the fact that everyone hates the U. It's what they get for being the big dog for almost every school in Minnesota/Upper Midwest and Big Ten rivals with Wisconsin.

Old
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
rj

Quote:
Yes they can play Army on an annual basis, but the main reason why Air Force won't join the WCHA - despite it being a great fit geographically - is due to money. Atlantic Hockey suits the Falcons fine because it doesn't have to build a larger building (Air Force's current building is way too small by WCHA standards) and it is limited in recruiting by its own tough standards. Throw in the conference match-up with Army (which is important enough where the Falcons left the CHA to join a conference whose westernmost member at the time was in Pennsylvania) and there's no reason for Air Force to want to leave Atlantic Hockey as it is not in their best interest.
Why would the schools not named Army in Atlantic Hockey want to have a school from Colorado in their conference they'd have to make the trek to then?

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:28 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Wondering what would an all WCHA team look like at the NHL level? For the future. I left off guys like Jason Blake and a few goalies.

I hate working nights.

Toews- Parise- Vanek
Stastny- Heatley- Kessel
Pavelski- Raymond- Oshie
Backes- Burish- Malone

Martin- Suter
Gilbert- Ballard
Niskanen- Stuart

Elliot
Pretty good team to me. I'd have Zajac centering the third line with Raymond not being on it. Initially I wanted to find a place for stafford, but all those wingers are better than him right now.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
Why would the schools not named Army in Atlantic Hockey want to have a school from Colorado in their conference they'd have to make the trek to then?
It evens out the teams (when Air Force joined, Quinnipiac left Atlantic Hockey to join the ECAC), gets another school with name recognition in the conference and most importantly, the schools are being subsidized a little for their travel (much like how Anchorage paid for the WCHA teams for the first ten years). From Air Force's standpoint, they aren't cutting down on travel because the CHA stretched from Buffalo to Colorado Springs to Huntsville, Alabama.

Old
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Travel isn't as big a deal to Air Force because they are the Air Force after all.

Old
05-21-2009, 10:01 PM
RabidBadger

The speculation continues to swirl about what team will accompany Bemidji in joining the mighty W. I lifted this tidbit from Goon's World after he stole it from someone else:

Quote:
Kevin Pates from Rink and Run is reporting this gem. What do Sioux fans think? Also, it would appear that UNO to the WCHA is gaining some legs. If Dean Blais was the coach of UNO they would probably become a top ten team nationally in 2 - 3 seasons.

ALSO there is talk that WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod will be in Omaha this week to talk with Nebraska-Omaha officials about joining the league. At the same time, Omaha's new athletic director, Trev Alberts, is in the midst of a search for a hockey coach, to replace Mike Kemp. The most recent rumor is that Dean Blais is the coaching front-runner, while UMD assistant Steve Rohlik is a former Omaha assistant.
I've learned not to put too much stock in rumors after hearing some doozies the past year, but I have to say this one is pretty exciting on a couple levels; A) Omaha would be a great fit in the WCHA with their style of play. They are the team I have hoped would join the league because they have been progressing well as a program. It would also ensure our little bothers, the Beavers would join the League.
B) It would be great to see Dean Blais come back to DI hockey. I secretly hoped the Badgers would tank last year and Blais would take over as coach. (All Eaves has done is win a championship in his 4th year and deliver the USA it's 1st WJC Championship...we always expect more as Badger fans).

Old
05-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

You've gotta feel for the Tech faithful when it comes to losing recruits before they even get a chance to step onto the ice at MacInnis. First, there was Casey Pierro-Zabotel not being able to get through the Clearinghouse and ends up just ripping things up in the Dub. And now, they lose Jake Hauswirth when he recently signed with the Caps. While I'm happy for these two individuals' success, maybe Tech will be able to land some top-notch recruits sooner rather than later that will actually get to suit up for them (for at least one year anyway) before losing them.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

WCHA adds Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_1270049...=rssfeeddigest

Old
06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer