HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enlightening article about Lapointe

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2004, 07:39 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Enlightening article about Lapointe

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/7784337.htm

Old
01-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Rex88

Good article.
Tough situation.
Would think hockey would be a nice outlet - thus let him play soon,

Old
01-24-2004, 09:55 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
The deal with his kids is the part reporters DON'T take into consideration because they feel it's their "right" to report anything and everything, including speculation on why he was in rehab.

Freedom of speech is not a good counter argument for responsible speech.

Old
01-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
The deal with his kids is the part reporters DON'T take into consideration because they feel it's their "right" to report anything and everything, including speculation on why he was in rehab.

Freedom of speech is not a good counter argument for responsible speech.
This really irritated me, even after it came out in the Philly media reported that it Lapointe was suffering from depression it was still be reported in other outlets that he was in the NHLPA program for substance abuse. They all left of the full title of the program which also mentions behavioural problems. Not fair to give a people the wrong impression of a guy who's got a problem that he has no control over. Good to hear his coming back tonight.

Old
01-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Gert B Frobe

I don't recall ever being given the impression it was anything but depression. I guess people always assume their must be either drugs or alcohol involved whenever depression is the problem...

Old
01-24-2004, 04:07 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
I don't recall ever being given the impression it was anything but depression. I guess people always assume their must be either drugs or alcohol involved whenever depression is the problem...
I think it's a problem of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. It's a blurb in the paper and in the news and people start talking about it and so begins the gossip side of it. People on the street and then people in the news are asked their opinion. Opinion being the operative word.

If the news organizations had a code of ethics a story like this would wait to be published AFTER the facts are in and clear. Tell people what AND why at the same time. There's 6 basic questions that need to be asked in journalism, who what why where when and how, and they tend to worry about one or two and fill in the rest later, after the lies and misconceptions already have a life of their own.

Old
01-24-2004, 05:31 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
When this was first announced it was an article on TSN that said Claude Lapointe was put in the NHL's Substance Abuse program with not much else to it.

Closed Thread