HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Jason Chimera Offsides Poll

View Poll Results: Whats the Average
5.5 and Below 14 43.75%
5.5-6.0 4 12.50%
6.0-6.5 4 12.50%
6.5-7.0 0 0%
7.0-7.5 2 6.25%
7.5-8.0 0 0%
8.0-8.5 2 6.25%
8.5 and Above 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
The Jason Chimera Offsides Poll

What do you think his ATOSPG (Average Times Off-Sides Per Game) is?

12-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
At least twice per period...

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

This is the worst poll ever.... but I agree with about twice per period.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Renion

I know Chimera's problem, and after a conversation I overheard tonight, I think it's over:

Jason Chimera: Wait, Dad. Don't you remember the time you told me "If you ain't first, you're last"?

Chimera's Daddy: Huh? What are you talking about, Son?

Jason Chimera: That day at school.

Chimera's Daddy: Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth.

Jason Chimera: What? I've lived my whole life by that!

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Macster

Changed my mind....I don't want to say anything about this after all.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 01:50 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Send a message via Yahoo to cydawg Send a message via Skype™ to cydawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I know Chimera's problem, and after a conversation I overheard tonight, I think it's over:

Jason Chimera: Wait, Dad. Don't you remember the time you told me "If you ain't first, you're last"?

Chimera's Daddy: Huh? What are you talking about, Son?

Jason Chimera: That day at school.

Chimera's Daddy: Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth.

Jason Chimera: What? I've lived my whole life by that!

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 08:13 AM
cbj21

He may be fast and furious but he can't handle the puck very well unfortunately. Yes off topic but i find that worse than a few offsides a game which there are far less of than it used to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
At least twice per period...
In the early season maybe but i don't see that much anymore, maybe twice a game or im blind w/e.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 09:08 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

In my opinion, the one asset he has is his speed into the zone. His hand aren't particularly good and he doesn't have much of a shot, so what he brings to the game is his ability to get to the puck quickly. In order to take advantage of that, he's going to be very aggressive on the attack. That will sometimes (often?) result in offsides. I'll leave it to the pollsters to put a number on it.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 09:59 AM
CBJSlash

Another thing that Chimmer does very well is the diagonal pass to the opposite point d-man. If our dmen could get shots through this would lead to some goals.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Hugg

I like his signature "break left and hand the puck to the goalie" breakaway move.

I like Chimmer, but he's definitely going to go down as one of those guys who you always think could have been much better than he is.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 11:10 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Nice poll Sam. Where's a mod when you need one?

I've been a Chimmer fan. But the more I watch Chim play, the more I think he has reached his career plateau. And that makes me wonder how long he'll be on this team.

I could say "let's stick with him... look what happened with Zherdev!"
But it doesn't take a HOFer to see that Chim doesn't have the raw talent that Zherdev has.

I'm so confused and conflicted about him. So I'm thinking out loud:

At $1 mil, he's an inexpensive veteran. But he's UFA at the end of this season. If they don't want to keep him, we'll see him traded before the deadline, perhaps for another grinder and a draft pick, or as part of a package for an impact (scoring) player. That would be astute.

But if they don't trade him, I can't see them offering more than $1.25. Maybe a 1 yr contract extension. The reason: we have a lot of young guys with cheaper contracts who can fill the third line grinder roll next year: Fritsche, Boll, Glencross, Lindstrom. (with two of those being potential 2nd liners in a year). A one year contract extension would keep him and Manny paired through 08-09, which is about the amount of time we need to develop our younger talent to replace them.

I wouldn't have said this last year, but this year: Malhotra > Chim. Manny's PK and faceoff talent is more valuable to us than Chim's speed. Manny costs us a little more than Chim, and we have Manny signed thru 08-09 for 1.5. Coach as noted what we've all known for some time, that these two guys have chemistry together. They also provide us with veteran leadership. But that means nothing if we don't get some scoring. Conclusion: a 1 yr extension for Chim, or he's an attractive part of a trade package. Depends on how much Scottie can get for hm.

fyi: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CLB

Last edited by JACKETfan: 12-30-2007 at 11:16 AM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Nice poll Sam. Where's a mod when you need one?

I've been a Chimmer fan. But the more I watch Chim play, the more I think he has reached his career plateau. And that makes me wonder how long he'll be on this team.

I could say "let's stick with him... look what happened with Zherdev!"
But it doesn't take a HOFer to see that Chim doesn't have the raw talent that Zherdev has.

I'm so confused and conflicted about him. So I'm thinking out loud:

At $1 mil, he's an inexpensive veteran. But he's UFA at the end of this season. If they don't want to keep him, we'll see him traded before the deadline, perhaps for another grinder and a draft pick, or as part of a package for an impact (scoring) player. That would be astute.

But if they don't trade him, I can't see them offering more than $1.25. Maybe a 1 yr contract extension. The reason: we have a lot of young guys with cheaper contracts who can fill the third line grinder roll next year: Fritsche, Boll, Glencross, Lindstrom. (with two of those being potential 2nd liners in a year). A one year contract extension would keep him and Manny paired through 08-09, which is about the amount of time we need to develop our younger talent to replace them.

I wouldn't have said this last year, but this year: Malhotra > Chim. Manny's PK and faceoff talent is more valuable to us than Chim's speed. Manny costs us a little more than Chim, and we have Manny signed thru 08-09 for 1.5. Coach as noted what we've all known for some time, that these two guys have chemistry together. They also provide us with veteran leadership. But that means nothing if we don't get some scoring. Conclusion: a 1 yr extension for Chim, or he's an attractive part of a trade package. Depends on how much Scottie can get for hm.

fyi: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CLB
Not the greatest poll, but it accomplished what I wanted, a dialouge on Chimera.

Now let me begin by saying that I am biased against bald players. But Chimeras play after mid November has been awful. He's gotta be offsides at least 8 times a game. He constantly makes ****** passes, if he passes. He's pissed away more breakaway oppurtunitys then anyone i've ever seen at this level. And he's constantly running his mouth.

Any time I bring up Chimeras suckatude, the response I get is, "but he's fast." Speed is a good thing, but it shouldn't and it can't get you 17 minutes a game alone.

Part of the reason I posted this is because the player we also could have gotten for Sanderson had we traded him earlier played for Carolina last night. Tim Gleason would look awful good on our blueline. He's a Rich Mans Westcott.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chimera read the boards. If your reading this, go eat a hamburger, get "Samkow Sucks" tattoed on your lower back (beats a CBJ Logo), and score some goals.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

I think there are good and bads about Jason Chimera.

The good: his speed. Not only does his speed open up plays for himself, but it does for his linemates as well. Chimera is one of our better forecheckers and really helps to turn the puck over in the offensive zone creating scoring chances for himself and his linemates. This is a lot about what Hitch teaches and Chimmer fits in well here.

The bad: Sometimes I think that Chimera doesn't realize how fast he is. A player will be carrying the puck up the ice and about to enter the offensive zone, and Chimera speeds right by him not realizing how fast he is really going. This is incredibly frustrating because it ruins one of the few times that we actually have someone carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Another bad thing I've seen recently out of Chimera is his lazyness or just his lack of hands. He has major problems getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Last night on the PK, he could not get the puck out on at least 3 different occasions. It's not only the PK either, even strength this is becoming a problem.

I don't know if the bad out weighs the good or if the good out weighs the bad. I could see him being moved at the deadline to make room for Boll to have more ice time or Legein to come up and play at this level next year. We prolly won't get much in return, but our younger players are gonna need some room.

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not the greatest poll, but it accomplished what I wanted, a dialouge on Chimera.

Now let me begin by saying that I am biased against bald players. But Chimeras play after mid November has been awful. He's gotta be offsides at least 8 times a game. He constantly makes ****** passes, if he passes. He's pissed away more breakaway oppurtunitys then anyone i've ever seen at this level. And he's constantly running his mouth.

Any time I bring up Chimeras suckatude, the response I get is, "but he's fast." Speed is a good thing, but it shouldn't and it can't get you 17 minutes a game alone.

Part of the reason I posted this is because the player we also could have gotten for Sanderson had we traded him earlier played for Carolina last night. Tim Gleason would look awful good on our blueline. He's a Rich Mans Westcott.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chimera read the boards. If your reading this, go eat a hamburger, get "Samkow Sucks" tattoed on your lower back (beats a CBJ Logo), and score some goals.
All I can say about this post is "brutal" and is closer to a hate thread then anything else.

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

his defensive skills are...lacking, to say the least. he does a lot of spectating in his own zone. buy a ticket!

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
All I can say about this post is "brutal" and is closer to a hate thread then anything else.
I agree.

The mods will take care of things though.

Chimera brings more to the team than speed. Remember how he was chosen to play for Team Canada at the Worlds?

We've got plenty of guys who can score on this team. I'm not saying they are doing it as often as they should, but Chimmer is a checker. He sees the top bad guys and the key to forechecking on the PK is getting in the offensive as fast as you can and win loose pucks. Chimmer does that.

I think it's obvious that he's got a great personality and it's been said that he is a great team mate.

Move on Samkow. Honestly, bias against bald guys?

Old
12-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Feicht

"Biased against bald players" I'm sure there's a bald guy out there with some talent....

Anywho, I like Chimera, but I've always seen him as the kind of guy that would be great to have on a line with two other guys who are better than him, and usually this hasn't been the case. I thought he looked great playing with Zherdev earlier in the year; his speed really opens up oppourtunities that may not normally be there, but if he gets into the offensive zone and has noone to pass to, the case is moot, for the most part, because unfortunately his shot isn't too great

Old
12-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Macster

Chimmer was awesome with Brass and Voracek. You're bang on Feicht.

Old
12-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I agree.

The mods will take care of things though.

Chimera brings more to the team than speed. Remember how he was chosen to play for Team Canada at the Worlds?

We've got plenty of guys who can score on this team. I'm not saying they are doing it as often as they should, but Chimmer is a checker. He sees the top bad guys and the key to forechecking on the PK is getting in the offensive as fast as you can and win loose pucks. Chimmer does that.

I think it's obvious that he's got a great personality and it's been said that he is a great team mate.

Move on Samkow. Honestly, bias against bald guys?
I'm not saying my sense of humor isn't dry, but I didn't think I needed to put a smiley there.

Chimeras the best community guy we've ever had. My neighbor has Lympohma in a fairly late stage. He recieved a pair of Daequen Cook's shoes, Brady Quinn's autographed football, yet all he wanted to talk about was Chimera and Shelleys visit.

That being said, I don't see how you can argue that his play on the ice of recent has been good. He's 3rd on the team in Minor Penalties, many of them are hookings and things of that nature. He's been making a lot of blind passes recently. I counted at least three breakout passes that ended up on a Carolina defensman's stick. And the offsides are becoming redicilous. Speed is no good if your consistently coming in offsides.

I can excuse things like the lack of hands. He deff. pisses away a lot of breakaways, but no one else on our team can create them like he can. He's deffinitly passing more then he did in seasons past. And the offensive slump he's been in can be said about anyone on this team not named Zherdev. But the small, mental mistakes, such as the offsides, penalties, and ill-placed passes aren't too funny when they happen multiple times a game.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Macster

Dry? Naaa you're just not funny.

I am not saying for a second that Chimmer isn't playing very good lately. I had a problem with your post that came off as scathing and rude.

Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way.

deffinitly? Aren't you an English major?

Old
12-30-2007, 06:18 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

uh, it wasn't very hard to tell that he was kidding with the biased against bald guys comment. calm down...?

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Feicht

I thought it was funny

Old
12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledPSLholder View Post
uh, it wasn't very hard to tell that he was kidding with the biased against bald guys comment. calm down...?
YOU THINK MY RECEDING HAIRLINE IS FUNNY???????

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
CBJSlash

Chimmer is a heart and soul player. He has playoff like intensity and when he scores a goal I wouldn't doubt the team gets up a little bit more just because of his nature.

THE PROBLEM WITH CHIMMER is that he presses too hard when things aren't going completely well. He gets completely out of sync rather than keeping things simple. He's also a lost lamb without Manny in the lineup. I really think the two make a great pair. He's heart and mouth has also lead to at least 2 double minors this year that I can recall.

I'd be VERY sad to see him traded, but I know he will be a pretty nice sweetener. I'd love to know what Hitch thinks of him... if he is a type that brings the necessary competitveness every game? I'd have to think Hitch likes him because he continues to put him on scoring lines.

He has a nice slapper, a nice set of wheels, and nice forechecking ability. He presses the stick too hard when the expectations are higher. I'd love nothing more than to see him be a critical piece of a playoff puzzle.... I can't imagine what he'd be like at playoff time.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 07:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I mentioned in another thread I Glencross might be the eventual replacement for Chimera on that third line. Better offensive upside and I think Glenx is more responsible on the defensive side.

Nothing again Chimmer, he just might become redundant.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote