HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Snapshot Help

Old
01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

vCash: 500
Snapshot Help

Hi there, I have a problem, I play Bantam rep and i am a powerforward I have a great wrist shot and a good slap shot but the problem is a have alot of 1 on 1's with the D man and very rarly have enough time for a wrist shot or slap shot (remember my coaches expect me to at the very least try to crash the net not take a slapper from the blueline).

Any ways alot of the time i can cut across at bottom of the faceoff circle and have room to take a snap shot. But my problem is i have a horrible snap shot, Im not 100% sure on the technique I have watched my DVD's 100's of times and when they say "snap your wrist" im not quite sure what that means . Currently my snapshot weak and flutters or if it is hard and like a disk it dosen't get higher then the goalies pads.

Can somebody please point me in the direction of how to take a snapshot and if you could, a video on the proper technique would help alot. and what do they mean by "snap" your wrist?

~Thank You

Last edited by Plebeian: 01-01-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Grammer
Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:57 AM
vexXed

I have the same problem as you, wrister and slapper are fine but my snapshot is pretty lame. Seems to be no power behind it and it just floats to the net. I'm assuming that the snap of the wrists is the same as when taking a wrist shot. Just before you reach the end of the followthrough with your shot, roll your wrists inward towards the ground, kind of like bringing down the shot while its in mid air, to get that extra momentum. I've tried this with the snap shot and it's kinda harder to get as the timing has to be much faster.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Qui Gon Dave

This might be a useful video for you guys (indeed, for anyone trying to learn how to add more power to their shot). If you apply what Kovalev is saying about loading the shaft up with a short wind up, you should be able to develop a decent snap shot.

I find that as long as I am able to concentrate on the shot and focus on how I am positioning myself for it, my snap shot is often more useful than my slapshot. As I'm getting ready to shoot, instead of focusing on a big wind up, I make sure I'm holding the stick in the right place to get as much flex as possible and then focus on really leaning onto the stick. If I can do that, I don't need much time or wind up to get a good shot away. The trick is to do that smoothly while skating.

One thing I find helpful to setting the shot up is faking a little move just before the shot. I'm right handed, so if I have the puck on my forehand while going towards the net (from whatever angle), I'll fake as if I'm going to move it to the backhand and go a little to my left (which puts my weight on my left foot). As I get it roughly in front of my left foot on the backhand, pull it back across to my forehand, cutting back a little to the right so that my weight is on my right foot. From there, I can push into the shot (sometimes with next to no wind up, sometimes only a small wind up) from my right foot and really load the stick up. I don't need the big wind up if I get it right because I can put a lot of my weight on the stick, pressing it down into the ground, and the little move is sometimes enough to open up a shooting lane (otherwise, I just shoot through the screen set by the Dman - always good). If you can do those movements quickly, you can sometimes surprise the goalie. Not always enough to beat them, but if you keep going to the net, you can pick up rebounds from the keeper just trying to get anything behind the first shot. The best that ever worked for me was when a goalie once pounced on the loose puck to make a save, after it had bounced out of his goal. He didn't see the shot at all as I used the Dman in front of me as a screen and shot it behind him after making the move. Shame it doesn't always work like that though

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 04:47 PM
mooseOAK*

The only description I can think of for snapping your wrist is it is like taking a panicky wrist shot i.e. taking a short and low back swing and just as the blade is about to hit the puck roll your wrists very fast. I shoot right so just before the shot and afterwards the palm of my left hand is facing up and my back leg kicks up behind me.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
This used to be my weakest shot and thus the least used, but now it is my favorite shot because it results in more goals. It takes practice, and even my snapshot now isn't pretty like some players who can really get it off fast with more power than me, but it is most like a fast 'twitch' shot more than a dragging motion like a wristshot or windup with a slapshot.

The position of the puck is more like that of a slapshot in that you leave it mid-stance instead of pulling it back like a wrist shot, then you have a few choices. Some guys pull their stick back just a tad bit like you would do when stick handling back and forth then 'snap' it off fast like a mini-slapshot, whereas the really good players manage to to a mini-toe drag from out at the toe to the heel and roll their wrists quickly to execute the shot.

The best way I can describe the motion is to hold your hands out as if you're holding the stick, then in a sudden jerky motion, snap your low hand forward 8-10 inches and your upper hand in to your body the same amount. This levering action generates the snap and thus the energy in the shot. The loading of the stick comes from pushing down on the ice by angling your stick into the ice to flex the stick then towards the mid-point of the motion rolling the face of the blade up to your target, getting more energy to release in the motion. (as seen in the video link above) This is the key to the shot IMO as it hides the shot and makes it look to the goalie that you're stickhandling. Keep your feet moving, don't coast into the shot like a wrister and you'll have even more success.

Good luck!

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote