HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Handling Myths

Old
12-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Z-Diddy

vCash: 500
Stick Handling Myths

The old "stick handling control comes from your top hand on your stick"

So if Im right handed I using the majority of the time my left to activly move the puck back and forth?

Is this completely true or do some NHLers use a balance of both?

Z-Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 05:27 PM
saveourpens

your dominant hand is "supposed" to be on top, but there are advantages and disadvantages, such as having a weaker shot.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Phoenix

I'm right handed and I have my left hand on top (right shot), but I cannot imagine how I could possibly get the same level of stick control if I were to have my right hand on top. But then, so many people do so obviously it does work!

I used to think hockey as a sport had a strangely-very high proportion of left-handers, until I realised this.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Yeah I'm the same as you phoenix, right-hander who shoots right. It's just about what feels right.
I sometimes muck around at training and shoot left, and you notice the difference having the dominant hand at the top. More strength. But I feel comfortable shooting right, and feel very unco shooting left.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:13 AM
BladesOfTeal

I'm a righty who shoots left- always have. More than anything, it's just what feels natural, then you develop it.

BladesOfTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:58 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
righty who shoots righty and my shot/handling is fine, so is my brothers.
i think thats all BS.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Righty who shoots left.

My brother is a lefty who shoots right...

12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
spoon*

Lefty who shoots right

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 03:10 PM
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Diddy View Post
The old "stick handling control comes from your top hand on your stick"

So if Im right handed I using the majority of the time my left to activly move the puck back and forth?

Is this completely true or do some NHLers use a balance of both?
Long and short of it is that keeping your dominant hand at the end of the stick gives you a far greater and more comfortable range of motion. Most of the best stick handling moves are based strongly on moving the puck as far away from the defender as possible will maintaining control.

If your top hand is the strong one you should be able to have a fair bit of control even one handed. Dominant hand on the bottom tends to be far stronger on the puck with a much more limited range of motion.

I used to practice alot with both sticks and found that my shot was noticably harder right handed stick but I had much more accuracy and ablity to roof the puck with a left handed stick.

p.s. I'm right handed and mostly use a left handed stick. So that may explain the extra shot control but personally believe it's more than that.

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm right-handed and play lefty. I was one of only a few players growing up who were lefties for some odd reason. It was impossible to find lefty sticks too. Now most of the guys I play with are lefty and it's a 50-50 split for equipment.

My roommate's right-handed and plays righty. He works on stick handling more than I do, seems that it might come a bit more natural to me, but I don't know if there's a huge difference.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
BigBearnier

I'm a righty who shoots left... Only reason I used a left stick was because when i grew up I used my Dads old hockey stick, who shoots left...

Only problem I've had with it is that I also play soccer, but I shoot right, so on my slapshots, sometimes my footwork gets messed up...

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:46 AM
McNasty

I'm a righty who shoots right, mostly cause I played baseball before hockey. However for those of you who don't believe it pick up a stick and stick handle with one hand, I'll gaurantee you have better control with the top hand then the bottom.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Doriath

Lefty that plays right-handed. It's just always been more comfortable that way. I used to use my bottom hand a lot in my stickhandling, but a few years back I started working on just using my top hand by sliding an empty toilet paper roll down the stick and holding it in my bottom hand. My stickhandling has vastly improved since then, but I'm still no puck wizard. I just don't practice as much as I used to.

Doriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Roy G Biv*

I'm a righty shooting left..

How is it "supposed" to work with golf?

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 12:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Righty playing right here. I can't even control the puck if I try to go lefty. It feels very uncomfortable to me. Then again it's probably because the first stick my dad bought for me was a righty stick .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 04:01 PM
lemieux32*

You know reading this you guys make it sound like shooting "righty" means having your right hand on top of the stick, meaning the curve of the blade goes from left to right, yet if you look at sticks, a right handed stick has a curve going right to left. This would mean the right hand should be lower on the stick.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
It Kills Me

Righty that shoots left. When I try shooting right, it doesn't feel right. For some reason I bat left too.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 04:35 PM
ower

vCash: 966
So how does this translate if you're ordering stick online? I've always just got them at pro shops and never paid attention other then what felt right, but obviously you can find cheaper deals online. So when the stick is saying it's right/Mid/Datyuk(p38) for example.. does that mean left hand is going on top, or Right?

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Doriath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
So how does this translate if you're ordering stick online? I've always just got them at pro shops and never paid attention other then what felt right, but obviously you can find cheaper deals online. So when the stick is saying it's right/Mid/Datyuk(p38) for example.. does that mean left hand is going on top, or Right?
left-hand on top.

Doriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Ten

Righty that shoots right. Just feels normal (first stick I got had no curve too...)

Never heard that before though.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:21 AM
krax

Righty shooting left.

I know of two world class Russian players who are able to stick-handle and shoot both sides the same way. They had to learn in both ways.

Once heard this: working your bad side will improve the better one faster than working exclusively the better side.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:30 AM
sc37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I'm a righty who shoots right, mostly cause I played baseball before hockey. However for those of you who don't believe it pick up a stick and stick handle with one hand, I'll gaurantee you have better control with the top hand then the bottom.
I played baseball before hockey too, but I'm a righty shooting lefty. I learned to play with a stick with no curve when I started and found going lefty was more comfy. My dad who isn't a hockey person kept insisting I shoot right handed when I started....I'm guessing that idea trickles down to lots of youngsters too when their parents take them to the big-bog sporting goods store and some noob salesman would ask 'how do you play baseball' or something when selling them sticks.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Yeah I grew up playing ball.

Bat right, shoot left. But my dad knew better.

That and I learnt how to bat switch so I could make the AAA team...

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I bat and play golf lefty, but play hockey and lacrosse righty. Weird.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
I know of two world class Russian players who are able to stick-handle and shoot both sides the same way. They had to learn in both ways.

Once heard this: working your bad side will improve the better one faster than working exclusively the better side.
I'll back this.

I'm a righty shooting right. When I was little, I had an alright shot, just average in stick skills and picking where I want to shoot.

When I started playing goalie, I was forced to learn to shoot left handed because I caught with my left hand. After about 5 years of shooting left handed with a goalie stick, I was able to pick up a left handed stick and shoot no problem with in. Then I would pick up a right handed stick and just be super fast with my shots and where I wanted them. My wrist shots we're way harder along with snap shots.

If someone gave me a left handed stick to shot with, I could it no problem. Not above average, but a normal shot. Now if someone gives a right handed stick, I can tear up with shots with fine accuracy. Alot better than people that have been shooting on side their whole lives.

So what I'm trying to say is that, yes, I feel that having to learn to shoot left handed, made my right handed shot that much better.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote