HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Breakout Player of 2014-15?

View Poll Results: Breakout Player for '14-15
Brock Nelson 31 37.80%
Ryan Strome 21 25.61%
Anders Lee 4 4.88%
Calvin de Haan 5 6.10%
Griffin Reinhart 4 4.88%
Thomas Hickey 2 2.44%
Matt Donovan 0 0%
Cory Conacher 4 4.88%
Josh Bailey 8 9.76%
Ryan Pulock 0 0%
Other 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2014, 12:30 PM
  #1
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Isles Breakout Player of 2014-15?

Don't think we did one of these last year. The most recent one I could find was from '12-13, in which Bailey won(). http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1245657

Okposo was the obvious breakout player for last year. Who would be your choice for next season?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:32 PM
  #2
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,180
vCash: 0
Nelson.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:32 PM
  #3
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,180
vCash: 0
Only because I felt like de Haan already broke out, it just didn't show on the scoresheet.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:35 PM
  #4
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Only because I felt like de Haan already broke out, it just didn't show on the scoresheet.
Debating listing de Haan as a breakout player from last year. I could see him becoming a guy who gets a lot of attention next year though, so I figured I'd include him in the poll.

Went with Nelson as well though.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
  #5
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,180
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Debating listing de Haan as a breakout player from last year. I could see him becoming a guy who gets a lot of attention next year though, so I figured I'd include him in the poll.

Went with Nelson as well though.
I think the poll will come down to Nelson and de Haan simply because people have different defintions of "breaking out".

I see Strome having a season of ups and downs contributing around 40 points. I still think he needs another summer in the gym before he breaks out, although I hope he proves me wrong.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:40 PM
  #6
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,077
vCash: 500
I voted de Haan because I think he has untapped offensive potential.


Last edited by Darth Milbury: 07-14-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:47 PM
  #7
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,181
vCash: 500
Travis Hamonic, he should be listed.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:52 PM
  #8
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,894
vCash: 500
I am really confused about how things are going to fit together. At the end of last season, I thought that Strome was the most rapidly improving player. If he continues that and moves forward, I see him easily being the breakout player.

But where is Strome going to start the year? Centering a 4th line? On the wing Grabovski and Kulemin? Hard to know how he's going to fit in either of those roles.

Also, who is going to get first unit PP time? Will it be JT with Nelson and Strome up front - with Okposo and Visnovsky playing the points?

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:55 PM
  #9
danteipp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I am really confused about how things are going to fit together. At the end of last season, I thought that Strome was the most rapidly improving player. If he continues that and moves forward, I see him easily being the breakout player.

But where is Strome going to start the year? Centering a 4th line? On the wing Grabovski and Kulemin? Hard to know how he's going to fit in either of those roles.

Also, who is going to get first unit PP time? Will it be JT with Nelson and Strome up front - with Okposo and Visnovsky playing the points?
I agree, whoever plays alongside JT and KO will probably be the "breakout" star offensively. They might net 40 points just standing around and not getting in the way.

danteipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:56 PM
  #10
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Travis Hamonic, he should be listed.
I see Hamonic as an established #2, so I'm not sure how much more he could break out. Even if he plays his way up to a #1, I could see other guys having a much greater jump(say Reinhart going from a CHLer to a top-4 guy, or Nelson going from a 30 point 3rd liner to a 60 point 1st liner), which IMO would be bigger "break out" cases.

I certainly hope Hamonic breaks out though, since that would probably mean that he's become an elite D.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:03 PM
  #11
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Strome with Grabo and Kuli will have an awesome season.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:12 PM
  #12
danteipp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
I voted Reinhart, although I could easily see Nelson taking the next step if he plays on the top line.

However, I think Reinhart is going to establish himself as a solid defender almost out of the gate (10-15 games in) and give us a solid top-4 alongside Hamonic, CdH and Hickey. Viz will then be able to slot in as a PP specialist, with reduced minutes on the third paring, and one of Brennan or Donovan will step up as a decent third pairing alongside Viz.

For whatever reason I have a feeling T.J. Brennan is going to run with the job as 6th defenseman in training camp and be a solid addition. Maybe I am being too optimistic but I think young players like Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Brennan, Pelech, Church, Mayfield, etc. are going to come in hungry and fight to be in the NHL.

danteipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  #13
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
I voted Reinhart, although I could easily see Nelson taking the next step if he plays on the top line.

However, I think Reinhart is going to establish himself as a solid defender almost out of the gate (10-15 games in) and give us a solid top-4 alongside Hamonic, CdH and Hickey. Viz will then be able to slot in as a PP specialist, with reduced minutes on the third paring, and one of Brennan or Donovan will step up as a decent third pairing alongside Viz.

For whatever reason I have a feeling T.J. Brennan is going to run with the job as 6th defenseman in training camp and be a solid addition. Maybe I am being too optimistic but I think young players like Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Brennan, Pelech, Church, Mayfield, etc. are going to come in hungry and fight to be in the NHL.
I also think Reinhart will be one of our better D pretty quickly. The guy has everything you want except the wheels. His IQ and positioning/stickwork are second to none as far as prospects go. Add in his size and I don't see much of a learning curve.

Can't wait to see how our core looks one year from now. If guys like Griff, Strome, CdH, Nelson, and (potentially)Lee all have the type of seasons I believe they are capable of having, there should be a lot less question-marks going into 2015-16.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
  #14
hunter7isles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
To me this is a two horse race between Nelson and Strome. i think both could break out, but Strome will need to be on the second line wong to do so. Nelson seems the easier choice since he seems penciled in on the wing of JT and KO, but my gut is telling me Strome scores 50-60 points pretty much right out of the gate, since his time was limited last year.

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:27 PM
  #15
danteipp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Did you ever own a teal "fisherman" jersey? If so, I assume that disqualifies you from voting as explicit evidence of an unsound mind.

danteipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:28 PM
  #16
BroadwayJay
Registered User
 
BroadwayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Did you ever own a teal "fisherman" jersey? If so, I assume that disqualifies you from voting as explicit evidence of an unsound mind.
They're MUCH more popular now than they were then, don't you think?

I remember a collective groan when that abomination was unveiled.

BroadwayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:28 PM
  #17
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7isles View Post
To me this is a two horse race between Nelson and Strome. i think both could break out, but Strome will need to be on the second line wong to do so. Nelson seems the easier choice since he seems penciled in on the wing of JT and KO, but my gut is telling me Strome scores 50-60 points pretty much right out of the gate, since his time was limited last year.
Strome could also see 1st unit PP time, which could help make those numbers more realistic.

I don't necessarily agree with the two horse race though. I'll be surprised if we don't get a big year out of at least one of our young defensemen.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:28 PM
  #18
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Nelson.
I agree, I think he gets a lot of time on the 1st line with JT and Okposo. He was playing very well at the end of last season too. Nelson is the type of player that needs a season to figure out a league, and then he usually succeeds.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:33 PM
  #19
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
I picked Lee...i think hes on the left side of JT and Okie...kid has a nose for the net...big year if he, in fact, gets that spot.

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
  #20
hunter7isles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Strome could also see 1st unit PP time, which could help make those numbers more realistic.

I don't necessarily agree with the two horse race though. I'll be surprised if we don't get a big year out of at least one of our young defensemen.

Exactly on the 1st unit PP time. As for the defenseman, I think CDH could take another big step, but I also could see him leveling off a bit before making that step to the next level, as he came in at such a high level right away. I think Hickey is what he is, not that this is a bad thing at all. Other guys? I just can't see an immediate breakout.

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
  #21
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I see Hamonic as an established #2, so I'm not sure how much more he could break out. Even if he plays his way up to a #1, I could see other guys having a much greater jump(say Reinhart going from a CHLer to a top-4 guy, or Nelson going from a 30 point 3rd liner to a 60 point 1st liner), which IMO would be bigger "break out" cases.

I certainly hope Hamonic breaks out though, since that would probably mean that he's become an elite D.
True.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:52 PM
  #22
_illicit_
Registered User
 
_illicit_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 500
Brock Nelson, mostly because it seems like he will be playing with Tavares extensively.

_illicit_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
  #23
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7isles View Post
Exactly on the 1st unit PP time. As for the defenseman, I think CDH could take another big step, but I also could see him leveling off a bit before making that step to the next level, as he came in at such a high level right away. I think Hickey is what he is, not that this is a bad thing at all. Other guys? I just can't see an immediate breakout.
I've made my opinion of de Haan well known - I think he'll end next season as our 2nd best player. As far as Reinhart goes, I think he has the potential to follow de Haan's footsteps. At least rookie de Haan. I know it's not common for defensemen to jump into the league and play at a top-4 level, but when it does happen it is usually prospects like Reinhart that do it. He's been seasoned well, his game has developed extremely well, and above all else he appears to be hungry to make the NHL roster.

As long as Griffin keeps it simple and focuses on what he's good at - his play in the defensive zone - he'll be an impact player for us next season.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
  #24
hunter7isles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I've made my opinion of de Haan well known - I think he'll end next season as our 2nd best player. As far as Reinhart goes, I think he has the potential to follow de Haan's footsteps. At least rookie de Haan. I know it's not common for defensemen to jump into the league and play at a top-4 level, but when it does happen it is usually prospects like Reinhart that do it. He's been seasoned well, his game has developed extremely well, and above all else he appears to be hungry to make the NHL roster.

As long as Griffin keeps it simple and focuses on what he's good at - his play in the defensive zone - he'll be an impact player for us next season.
He'll have an impact for us next year, for sure, and I agree that he has the potential to have a big time immediate impact, but odds just say that it will take another year or two. He's more of a darkhorse, while Nelson and Strome both seemed 100% primed for a big jump (like Bailey and Okposo were last year with only one taking that step).

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:59 PM
  #25
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,405
vCash: 500
What's with the lack of love for CdH? He's my pick. He should have the largest impact of all the young guys next season, Nelson will be up there if he gets the #1LW spot. Strome could breakout too as the #2RW with Cool Lemon and Grabo. Lee could breakout if he gets the #1LW.

In the end, only CdH's role is truly defined at this point... top pairing with Hammer.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.