HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strome Earning His Ice

Old
11-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Strome Earning His Ice

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...L%7CNYI%7Chome

Quote:
Despite all of the good things Ryan Strome had been doing for the New York Islanders this season, his first goal had proven elusive and he was starting to feel the pressure mount.

So when Strome drove to the net and instinctively one-timed a Brock Nelson feed past Semyon Varlamov on Tuesday night, a sense of relief accompanied the red goal light.

“It’s good to get the monkey off of my back,” Strome said. “I can breathe a bit easier and there’s a little less pressure [on me].”

Strome’s low goals total shouldn't overshadow his other contributions to the lineup. Strome has 10 points (1G, 9A) in 15 games this season and is becoming another highly-versatile player on the roster. A natural center, Strome has bounced between pivot and wing as well as up and down the lineup in a number of different roles. Additionally, he’s played on the top power-play unit and is now taking on penalty kill responsibilities.

11-14-2014, 01:39 PM
JetsMetsIsles

I didnt realize Strome has been killing penalties for us lately. If he could become another Frans Neilsen for us I'd be ecstatic. He has great puck moving abilities. If he continues to play good defensively he will continue to be a big part of our success this year

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2014, 01:46 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
I didnt realize Strome has been killing penalties for us lately. If he could become another Frans Neilsen for us I'd be ecstatic. He has great puck moving abilities. If he continues to play good defensively he will continue to be a big part of our success this year
I said this many times before but Strome reminds me alot of Giroux(right handed perimeter player, maybe not the greatest skater). At this point in Giroux's career he had 47 points while playing RW, Strome is on pace for 55 points

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2014, 01:52 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I said this many times before but Strome reminds me alot of Giroux(right handed perimeter player, maybe not the greatest skater). At this point in Giroux's career he had 47 points while playing RW, Strome is on pace for 55 points
That's actually not a bad comparison. I've also compared him to Patrick Kane, and I think either one or a mix of both might fit him...maybe he'll be a light version of them, but his passing skills are tremendous.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2014, 02:26 PM
charlie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
That's actually not a bad comparison. I've also compared him to Patrick Kane, and I think either one or a mix of both might fit him...maybe he'll be a light version of them, but his passing skills are tremendous.
Strome is getting more comfortable each game, and he's getting more physical along the boards. I'm blown away by his faceoff success. That was a real surprise. I like the Giroux comparison. I don't see him as a Patty Kane 2.0 though mostly because Patty has those sweet sweet mitts, and I frankly don't see Strome ever developing that. But Strome's vision and passing are truly elite for his age.

charlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 11:43 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

he has been the best player on the team for the last few games IMO.....he has made quick, steady decisions, is great at clearing the zone with tape to tape passes and really just has a knack for finding open space and open players....i really think he shines at center....i hate to move nelson to wing, but he has proven that he can excel at whatever position

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Islanderfan17

Between Strome and Nelson, it is so nice knowing that we will have offensive weapons on this team not named JT.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
he has been the best player on the team for the last few games IMO.....he has made quick, steady decisions, is great at clearing the zone with tape to tape passes and really just has a knack for finding open space and open players....i really think he shines at center....i hate to move nelson to wing, but he has proven that he can excel at whatever position

It looks like he feels comfortable and finally fitting in. Nice to see him picking up the points and doing well in whatever position they put him in. He's gaining confidence and thats a good thing.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
It looks like he feels comfortable and finally fitting in. Nice to see him picking up the points and doing well in whatever position they put him in. He's gaining confidence and thats a good thing.
Same thing happened at the start of last year in Bridgeport, once Strome has a few games to settle in he came on strong and the same thing is happening. Enjoy watching how well his game is growing.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 04:05 PM
On Edge

I absolutely love what I am seeing in Strome. His PK work as been good and he will get even better. Very impressed with his play and you can see him blossoming in front of our eyes.

His vision on ice really has me thinking that I really prefer to see him at center.

Very excited about his play.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 04:48 PM
StrongIslanders90

Strome is a beast at Center...

Its crazy, we have Tavares and a team like TOR would kill For Strome and/or Nelson right now...

pretty special window opening up for us if all goes well..

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 06:18 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Strome is a beast at Center...

Its crazy, we have Tavares and a team like TOR would kill For Strome and/or Nelson right now...

pretty special window opening up for us if all goes well..
We have 4 VERY GOOD centers right now. Tavares, Nielsen, Nelson, Strome. 2 of them need many more games to really solidify themselves, but the progress and skills are there for each.

Strome has really come into his own during this last stretch. I think putting him on the PK ignited his 2-way play. It also ignited his physical play. Much like Bailey, the more physical Strome is, the more successful he will be. He is becoming an absolute stud. Great passer, good vision, improving defensive play, and the goals will come. I think the competition and complement of Nelson is also helping him. They will each get better with better play from either of them.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 10:04 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
We have 4 VERY GOOD centers right now. Tavares, Nielsen, Nelson, Strome. 2 of them need many more games to really solidify themselves, but the progress and skills are there for each.

Strome has really come into his own during this last stretch. I think putting him on the PK ignited his 2-way play. It also ignited his physical play. Much like Bailey, the more physical Strome is, the more successful he will be. He is becoming an absolute stud. Great passer, good vision, improving defensive play, and the goals will come. I think the competition and complement of Nelson is also helping him. They will each get better with better play from either of them.
5 Very good centers, you forgot about Grabovski.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 10:06 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
5 Very good centers, you forgot about Grabovski.
True that. I stand corrected.

Old
11-20-2014, 12:22 AM
TommytheCat

awesome to see our homegrown talent succeeding ... go stromer!!!

TommytheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 12:30 AM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

the emergence of strome, combined with nelson being a year older, is just as crucial as the addition of grabovski and kulemin. I kinda feel the expectations of strome have lowered a great deal over the past year, but this kid is going to be big for us this year, and future years.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Chairman Wang

The more that I see Strome and Nelson develop. The more I wonder if it wouldn't be completely outlandish to move Tavres to LW?

Tavares-Nelson-Okposo
Kulemin-Nielsen-Grabovski
Lee-Strome-Bailey/Grabner
Cizikas/Martin-(acquire big center, good on face offs)-Clutterbuck

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 01:03 PM
sst338d

The kid just now seems to be getting in the groove and has been the best offensive player on the team for the last several games. When he is on the ice good things seem to happen. I honestly think he is going to continue to get better and we are just seeing the beginning. Not saying he will, but I would not be shocked if by the end of the season he is leading this team in points.

sst338d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 01:13 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
The more that I see Strome and Nelson develop. The more I wonder if it wouldn't be completely outlandish to move Tavres to LW?

Tavares-Nelson-Okposo
Kulemin-Nielsen-Grabovski
Lee-Strome-Bailey/Grabner
Cizikas/Martin-(acquire big center, good on face offs)-Clutterbuck
take a lap

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 06:01 AM
13th Floor

Strome now has 15 points and is leading the team with a +8 through 19 games.

Old
11-22-2014, 06:23 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
the emergence of strome, combined with nelson being a year older, is just as crucial as the addition of grabovski and kulemin. I kinda feel the expectations of strome have lowered a great deal over the past year, but this kid is going to be big for us this year, and future years.
I agree. Strome is going to be a big piece of the puzzle over the next several seasons.

Which is why I have been scratching my head over trade board comments, about how the isles have a logjam at forward and "Strome's definitely available"

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Really like what he's bringing.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I agree. Strome is going to be a big piece of the puzzle over the next several seasons.

Which is why I have been scratching my head over trade board comments, about how the isles have a logjam at forward and "Strome's definitely available"
I didn't see posters suggesting that. Mostly, just s lot of fun chatter.

I didn't think he start the season on the island though. I figured it would be like Lee - sent down and then revealed a few weeks later.

11-23-2014, 01:43 PM
OlTimeHockey

Don't go nuts but Strome is playing smarter hockey than Tavares. Would anyone be surprised if Strome ended up making Tavares better by taking away checking duties currently keeping Tavares shut down?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Don't go nuts but Strome is playing smarter hockey than Tavares. Would anyone be surprised if Strome ended up making Tavares better by taking away checking duties currently keeping Tavares shut down?
I agree with your thoughts. It think that may have been the reason why at the beginning of the year he was being shuffled around the lineup. That sparked his 2 way game and may have been for this exact reason. Not sure though...

Strome18 is online now   Reply With Quote