HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

Old
11-19-2013, 06:38 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by banehardens View Post
1. Yes, they sell both Labatt and Molson in 24 oz sizes for $14.50)

2. They are sold all around the arena. I know for a fact that they have them at the 'Brew House' carts located randomly all around the arena, but I am almost certain they have them at nearly every concession stand that has beer. You are never more than a 30 or so yard walk from getting either beer from any section at the coliseum so I wouldn't base seating on that.

3. Going to a normal bathroom is never a good idea at the Coliseum (especially during intermissions), you WILL miss at least part of the game (seriously, I've had friends go right at intermission and not return until nearly 5 minutes in to the next period). Your best bet is to run as soon as the period ends to the front smoking area ( by 305) and pee in the trailer bathroom located outside. Alternatively you can go down the staircase by the team store (by sec. 303 i believe) where there is a much less busy bathroom.

4. Between sections 303 and 323 is the half of the ice where the visitor shoots twice.
Wow, thanks. No idea how I'm going to choose between Labatt and Molson! Thanks especially for the bathroom advice; never would have come up with that on my own. Let me know if you ever need inside info on Verizon Center!

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:54 PM
dahlenrules

Are front row seats behind the nets worth it? And how often is the walkway used? Do they prevent people from walking there during play?

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
AirShark

Cross posting from the Rangers forum as it's kinda for both groups of fans
Hi everyone, my Cousin and I take a road trip or two with our San Jose Sharks each year with the goal of seeing them play in every NHL venue before we croak

Here's my particular question.

We're coming in March, but we're coming to see the Sharks play the Rangers AND the Islanders.

Here's the trip:
Thurs 3/13: Flying from SFO to New York
Friday 3/14: Sharks at Islanders
Satur 3/15: Free Day
Sunday 3/16: Sharks at Rangers
Monday 3/17: Fly home

Is it a huge pain in the ass to stay at one hotel and get transportation to each venue? I don't think we're renting a car because we hear it can be a nightmare and it's pretty expensive.

Does it matter what area we stay in?

I'm sure we'll do some touristy stuff as I've never been to your area before. I'll get to skimming the huge amount of posts in this thread, but any friendly recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Bryan

AirShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShark View Post
Hi everyone, my Cousin and I take a road trip or two with our San Jose Sharks each year with the goal of seeing them play in every NHL venue before we croak

We're coming in March, but we're coming to see the Sharks play the Rangers AND the Islanders.

Here's the trip:

Is it a huge pain in the ass to stay at one hotel and get transportation to each venue? I don't think we're renting a car because we hear it can be a nightmare and it's pretty expensive.

I'm sure we'll do some touristy stuff as I've never been to your area before. I'll get to skimming the huge amount of posts in this thread, but any friendly recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Bryan
My opinion may be different than others here, but I am assume you will stay in NyC the entire time? (There is zero reason to stay on LI or even see it beyond the game). If you are worried about cost, theN Rent a car in the city the am of the game and just return it back that evening. You can cab it to/from JFK, subway, or aitrain to RR, all depends on where you stay in NYC and what your budget is.

Taking public transportation would be like trying to take public transportation from sf to a sj game. More of a headache vs the cost. The area around the coliseum is like oracle, you hanging around to visit? Not too far away is a mall, yeah! Not Santana row, just another shopping mall and lots of burbanite mall traffic.

Just drive from NYC and leave by 3pm before you hit 101 like traffic. You'll be there in less than an hour. I'm sure someone here can recommend dinner/drinks not too far away near old country road. There is nothing to walk to like HP beyond the hotel bar "champions" across the parking lot.

Just giving you the facts as I am very aware of both areas (sj/sf Bay Area) and the NVMC. Hang in the city, not the island.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
CHIP72

If money isn't a major issue, I'd say get a hotel in Manhattan. Most of the stuff you'll want to see on that free Saturday and before/after the Islanders and Rangers games will be in Manhattan/NYC proper (and possibly immediately across the river in Hoboken or Jersey City). Depending on where your hotel is located (and I'd recommend staying in midtown Manhattan unless cost is an issue), you may be able to walk to MSG.

As someone who isn't from the immediate NYC area but has been to NYC many times, I'd recommend taking public transit to Nassau Coliseum (or more accurately, commuter rail - LIRR - to a station near the Coliseum and a taxi from there). Also, if you are flying into JFK or Newark, especially the latter, I recommend taking transit to your hotel, if you are staying in Manhattan and your hotel is within a couple blocks of a subway station.

Incidentally, you probably should go to the NHL Store in midtown Manhattan during your stay, if for no other reason than to say you've been there.

P.S. You may be able to attend the Big East Tournament at MSG or the Atlantic 10 Tournament at the Barclays Center during your visit if you have interest in college basketball.

CHIP72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Cavonnier

Quote:
I just want to say I'm a native of the Bay Area (Sunnyvale in the South Bay) who now lives on Long Island and roots for the Islanders (the Sharks are my "second" team). I think you'll be able to see a game at the Coliseum before the Islanders move to Brooklyn. There's a lot of history at the barn, and what the place lacks in "amenities" it makes it up with good sightlines and loyal fans.

MSG is also worth visiting (also a lot of history there), but it doesn't have the same character as the Coliseum.

Cavonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
CHIP72

On a related side note I checked the Devils' schedule and the Sharks play in Newark a couple weeks before they play in Manhattan and Uniondale (more specifically Sunday 3/2). I don't pay that close of attention to the NHL schedules for West Coast teams, but it seems VERY odd that the Sharks or a West Coast-based team would make two East Coast trips two weeks apart. The NHL could have combined the two trips into one big trip (which would have worked much better for you AirShark; you could have hit the Islanders, Rangers, Devils, and possibly the Flyers all in one trip while having one hotel/base of operations).

(As a side note for AirShark, midtown Manhattan and Newark are considerably closer to one another than midtown and Uniondale are. Public transit from Manhattan to Newark to Devils games is also much easier, via either NJ Transit from midtown or PATH from lower Manhattan.)

CHIP72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Malke

Hello, I'm about to buy tickets, and I've found these to be interesting...

Section: Lower VIP Center 101
Seats: Row H | Seats 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Is that good seats, or would the 200 section be better? Or even 118?

Malke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:46 AM
PJGooch

Quote:

Here's the trip:

-Bryan
Stay in Manhattan. On Friday around 3:00, take the LIRR to Garden City. It's about an hour ride. In Garden City, take a short walk up Franklin Ave to Grimaldi's for pizza (or any of the other wide-ranging restaurants in the area). Walk back to the station to get a cab to the Coliseum (or arrange a pickup or get a cab phone number when you get into the station).

Do the reverse going back to NYC, though you might want to have the cab take you to the Mineola station after the game instead of Garden City, since there are more frequent trains.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:20 AM
monochrome

Would any of you know if loudville tickets apply to playoffs as well? I am at school in Chicago during the year so if the Isle come back full force and fight their way to a playoff spot this season ill be back only in time for that. I wouldn't be able to afford to go to the games without only paying $10 for tix.

monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrome View Post
Would any of you know if loudville tickets apply to playoffs as well? I am at school in Chicago during the year so if the Isle come back full force and fight their way to a playoff spot this season ill be back only in time for that. I wouldn't be able to afford to go to the games without only paying $10 for tix.
I don't believe so

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Nelly

Hello, I'm planning on going to the Bruins / Islanders game and was wondering about which seats to get.

I'm thinking about:

Upper VIP Section 303 - Row A - $50
Are the seats good, or will I wind up being annoyed by the people walking by the aisle in front of me getting to, and from their seats?

Upper VIP Section 304 - Row D - $33.60
Where are the TV cameras located? For some reason I'm thinking it may be in that section. Any chance the seats may be slightly obstructed?

If I were to get seats behind the net - Sections 208 to 212 - Is there any section with a better view of the whole ice than the others?

Thanks.

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 06:04 PM
BeauKnows19

Anyone know what time the arena opens before the game? I'm coming to the game on Thursday. Also, when do the players usually get to the arena? Do I have a chance to get some autographs at the Marriott when the players leave it for the game? Thanks!

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 05:20 PM
sunnyvale

Is it common for people to tailgate the matinee weekend games?

sunnyvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 04:28 PM
OV Rocks

Where is it the away team walks out from before the game. I found cheap tickets for the caps game april 5th Lower VIP Defend Endzone 226 X row A. It looks like it sits on top of something is this the zamboni spot or where they walk out from?

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
24diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV Rocks View Post
Where is it the away team walks out from before the game. I found cheap tickets for the caps game april 5th Lower VIP Defend Endzone 226 X row A. It looks like it sits on top of something is this the zamboni spot or where they walk out from?
226 is above the zamboni entrance, opposite corner for visiting team entrance.

24diving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Not sure this is the best place to ask this but whatever

So I've been going to college on LI for 4 years now, so I know a bit, but haven't gotten around too much. I do a show for my school on interesting places around Long Island, but I don't know anymore haha

Do you guys know any cool places, people, events, etc.? Some examples we've done before: an indoor golf place, local bands, a woodcarver, sled hockey teams, etc.

If you guys have any cool ideas in mind I'd appreciate it. It can be anywhere on the island (including Queens and Brooklyn) but I'd rather it be in Nassau county since that means less driving haha

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Summer07Devils

Islanders VIP Club

Hi guys,

Was looking at picking up Gateway Suite tickets for an upcoming Islanders game was curious what the NY Islanders VIP Club includes?

I'm aware the suite isn't really a suite LOL but was curious if the food makes it worth it and where the food (or club) is located?

Is alcohol included?

Thanks!

Summer07Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
johnnynucleo
SleepyBeepy

Travel to NVMC

Hey! Sports fan from Canada, coming to NYC to see some games. One game will be at NYI in late October. Just wanted to get some information on best way to get to the arena from Manhattan. I did a little bit of research, and it seems like the way to go is, get on LIRR from Penn Station, and take to Westbury Station, and from there take a Taxi to the arena. Or is Hempstead station better? Which station is closes to arena? Can anyone confirm if this is the way to go? Or is there a better way? NOTE - we won't be renting a car, so it has to be public transportation.

What is the area like? Is there usually a decent amount of people who after the game are going from arena to the train stations to go back to Manhattan? I guess I'm hoping that there will be lots of people around at 1030 pm when game is over, and we're not standing at the train station with tumbleweed blowing by.

Any help is appreciated!!

Last edited by johnnynucleo: 06-25-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: cause
johnnynucleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Jester9881

You're going to love the sight lines at the Coli.

There is no public transport to NVMC, unfortunately.... so you're going to have to take a cab from the train. There's also very little to do around the NVMC before or after the game, unfortunately. Those were two of the biggest reasons the move to Brooklyn had to happen.

I'll reiterate though, there really isn't a bad seat in the house.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
johnnynucleo
SleepyBeepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
You're going to love the sight lines at the Coli.

There is no public transport to NVMC, unfortunately.... so you're going to have to take a cab from the train. There's also very little to do around the NVMC before or after the game, unfortunately. Those were two of the biggest reasons the move to Brooklyn had to happen.

I'll reiterate though, there really isn't a bad seat in the house.
Cool thanks. My friend is a massive NYI fan, so he wanted to see a game at NVMC before it was too late. Which train station is closest to NVMC?

Old
06-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynucleo View Post
Cool thanks. My friend is a massive NYI fan, so he wanted to see a game at NVMC before it was too late. Which train station is closest to NVMC?
I'd guess Freeport, but I'm sure someone here can better advise you on that.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
BroadwayJay*
#Strait2theCorsiCup

Quote:
Hey! Sports fan from Canada, coming to NYC to see some games. One game will be at NYI in late October. Just wanted to get some information on best way to get to the arena from Manhattan. I did a little bit of research, and it seems like the way to go is, get on LIRR from Penn Station, and take to Westbury Station, and from there take a Taxi to the arena. Or is Hempstead station better? Which station is closes to arena? Can anyone confirm if this is the way to go? Or is there a better way? NOTE - we won't be renting a car, so it has to be public transportation.

What is the area like? Is there usually a decent amount of people who after the game are going from arena to the train stations to go back to Manhattan? I guess I'm hoping that there will be lots of people around at 1030 pm when game is over, and we're not standing at the train station with tumbleweed blowing by.

Any help is appreciated!!
I travel frequently to NVMC from the city.

First, enjoy your stay I hope you love our fair city.

If you're staying in Manhattan, you'll want to take the LIRR from Penn Station to Mineola. It isn't technically the closest, but there is a cab stand and there are cabs. Bring a group if possible, they will put you in with strangers and you'll all be charged for the fare. If you're together you can split it. Total gameday scam.

Get a few beers on your way to Penn Station, you can drink the on the train (I advise that on all journeys).

As Jester said, there is absolutely nothing to do at NVMC except watch the game. So forget doing that at all.

The food at the rink is terrible, bear that in mind.

On the way home it is almost impossible to get a cab. I have paid some outrageous sums to get cab rides back to Mineola. I'm looking forward to trying Uber this year and seeing if I can get it down for under 50.

I've also contemplated making friends at the game and asking for a lift to any LIRR station nearby. I have not yet tried it but it just might work.

Leave early, like right at 5. The whole journey takes about two hours and if you are visiting a new rink you don't want to be late.

Prepare to be unimpressed, the place looks awful from the outside and kind of sucks inside. It reminds me of a really big high school rink.

Good news, seats are absurdly cheap. I generally use stubhub and sit in the lower bowl for between $10-30. If you're coming to see Toronto, expect to pay more. Edmonton or Calgary, shouldn't be so bad.

I have sat in the first row on the glass several times and I've never paid more than $40.

Hey, have some fun. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

BroadwayJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:51 PM
BroadwayJay*
#Strait2theCorsiCup

Quote:
If you're looking to go cheap, there is a student bus that goes from Hofstra to the nearest LIRR stop. I can't remember which one it is.

I think it is free. You'd have to walk across the major roadway, and into the Hofstra campus.

I've never done it, I'm one of the "suits" that are the subject of much scorn on occasion.

I am aware that it is an option though.

BroadwayJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:04 PM
johnnynucleo
SleepyBeepy

Thanks guys, appreciate it. On the NVMC site it states this in regards to the Hempstead station:

Hempstead Station:
Taxis are located at the train station. Or you can walk one (1) block to the Hempstead Bus Terminal and take either the N70, N71, or N72, which will drop you off on Hempstead Turnpike opposite the Nassau Coliseum.

So, I guess, we can try taking a bus from Hempstead station to the arena, as opposed to a taxi. I'm hoping we can take one back from arena to Hempstead as well. I just have to sort out the Bus schedule on the day we are going I guess.

We are seeing Winnipeg Jets on Oct 28th. Any locals going to that game, willing to drive 3 Winnipegers (one being huge NYI fan) back to the closest LIRR station after the game? Please? We'll report back on this board how super awesome friendly you are.