HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2 Small Problems with MSG Broadcasts

Old
12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
NYR_LAT

vCash: 500
And one more thing, Bad Program Guide Info

I've gotten used to it but it really pissed me off till I learned to live with it.

On Comcast, the Game ALWAYS ends AFTER it says it does in the Program Guide, so if you're using a DVR or Tivo, you'll miss the last few minutes unless you also record the Post-Game show, too. That's assuming a regular game... OT or Shootout, forget it.

They should just bump that out an extra half-hour.

NYR_LAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 10:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_LAT View Post
I've gotten used to it but it really pissed me off till I learned to live with it.

On Comcast, the Game ALWAYS ends AFTER it says it does in the Program Guide, so if you're using a DVR or Tivo, you'll miss the last few minutes unless you also record the Post-Game show, too. That's assuming a regular game... OT or Shootout, forget it.

I hear ya, but you also need to remember that the networks and the television industry in general aren't particularly thrilled with the rise of Tivo. They're not going to do anything at all to accommodate you in that respect.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_LAT View Post

My DVR (TWC 8300HD) recognizes live sporting events when you select them in the program guide and automatically asks if you want to extend the recording time. Once selected they pad every future recording. I have the Rangers broadcasts set to all go 30 minutes over. That covers 99.9% of the games and a good bit of the post game too.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:21 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
In general they are very good - especially the main camera man.

1) The replays seemingly always go over live action. Live should always have priority.

2) The commercials volume is always so much louder (like 10 db's) then the broadcast, kind of annoys me sometimes.

And always miss Sam when he is gone!
This is so true. In yesterdays game they almost didnt show the tying goal by Drury because they were showing a replay of Averys missed shot.

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
alkurtz

Been watching games on TV for 45 years and I think these guys are great. You really see the difference when you watch games being broadcast elsewhere; even the vaunted Hockey Night in Canada and CBC broadcasts are second rate compared to MSG.
Sam is the best.
I've sort of been warming up to Micheletti this year: I thought he had a slow start with little analysis but he has become much more assertive recently.
I like John Giannone. His studio work is impeccable and while his play-by-play is not quite up to stuff, I feel he has the talent to grow into the job and be the #1 guy if Sam ever retires. Hopefully thats not for many years.
I do have a problem with the crowd audio thought. From what I was reading in the papers this morning, the crowd was pretty loud last night, so much so that the players were even aware of it. Yet the only time you hear the crowd is after the Rangers score and they break into the goal song. Wish they would turn up the crowd mikes a bit.
Any long time Ranger fans remember Win Elliot doing play by play or one year in the early 60s when they brought in a guy named Norm Jarry?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
WolfPackFan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't like John Giannone. I'm disappointed whenever I turn on the game and Sam's not there. JG phrases things awkwardly and often makes observations that are just flat-out incorrect. He also sounds like Bryant Gumbel.
Agreed. I think awkward is the correct word for Giannone's call of the game. He doesn't let the game breathe. He gives you a radio call. Tries to describe every pass, bump, turnover, etc....we're watching the game, we don't need everything explained to us.

WolfPackFan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:50 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Been watching games on TV for 45 years and I think these guys are great. You really see the difference when you watch games being broadcast elsewhere; even the vaunted Hockey Night in Canada and CBC broadcasts are second rate compared to MSG.
Sam is the best.
I've sort of been warming up to Micheletti this year: I thought he had a slow start with little analysis but he has become much more assertive recently.
I like John Giannone. His studio work is impeccable and while his play-by-play is not quite up to stuff, I feel he has the talent to grow into the job and be the #1 guy if Sam ever retires. Hopefully thats not for many years.
I do have a problem with the crowd audio thought. From what I was reading in the papers this morning, the crowd was pretty loud last night, so much so that the players were even aware of it. Yet the only time you hear the crowd is after the Rangers score and they break into the goal song. Wish they would turn up the crowd mikes a bit.
Any long time Ranger fans remember Win Elliot doing play by play or one year in the early 60s when they brought in a guy named Norm Jarry?
Just before my time, I started watched in 1977, I remember Jim Gorden, he was great! MSG never has turned the arena volume up, I always remember saying, I would watch a sold out Rangers game and not hear the crowd on TV, then switch over to Sportschannel and watch a Devils game with 7,000 fans at the Meadowlands and on TV it sounded like it was sold out with loud crazy fans.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Also when I watch Rangers rewind or Rangers in 60 what ever they call it now... They scroll the score of the game I'm watching on the bottom of the screen...Can't they hold off on showing the score of the Ranger game thay are replaying so fans don't glance down a see they won during the 1st 5 mins....

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:56 AM
prone10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I agree. I don't know why they bailed on Bob Wishuisen(sp). I'm so tired of JG's "peter prucha gives chase"..."Michael rosival gives chase"...and now Sean Avery gives chase"
I can't stand the "gives chase" comment he always makes. I counted it one day when I repeatedly noticed it and he said "gives chase" at least a dozen times with some variations of "chases down the puck", "chases around the boards", etc a few times. He must not even realize he's doing it.

prone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:31 PM
gilles lupien

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone10 View Post
I can't stand the "gives chase" comment he always makes. I counted it one day when I repeatedly noticed it and he said "gives chase" at least a dozen times with some variations of "chases down the puck", "chases around the boards", etc a few times. He must not even realize he's doing it.
totally agree. and the "so and so COLLECTS"... prase.. and Sam uses "full head of steam" too much.

the greatest ever play by play man in hockey was danny gallivan, who did the habs games back in the day.

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
alkurtz

When I was a kid growing up in the Bronx in the early 60s there was little hockey available. If atmospheric conditions were just right I could pick up Foster Hewitt from Toronto and Danny Gallivan from Montreal on the radio. Those guys made me fall in love with hockey. They're revered in Canada and I'm in agreement that they were the best. Sometimes you can hear echoes of Foster Hewitt in the way that certain guys broadcast.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I too notice the audio thing, kind of annoying, and yeah, sometimes they do over-replay things over live stuff... so I can see your points

but yeah, for the most part it's generally quite enjoyable.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:13 AM
WheresBarnaby

The only thing I really wish was that there was more crowd sounds, but anyone who's been to the garden knows why they have to have the volume so low.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:37 AM
islanderfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Also when I watch Rangers rewind or Rangers in 60 what ever they call it now... They scroll the score of the game I'm watching on the bottom of the screen...Can't they hold off on showing the score of the Ranger game thay are replaying so fans don't glance down a see they won during the 1st 5 mins....
well i guess some people just don't wanna wait the full 60 ... and msg would rather you stay there to find the score then switch to another channel.

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:22 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
The only thing I really wish was that there was more crowd sounds, but anyone who's been to the garden knows why they have to have the volume so low.
Exactly, Theres no crowd noise on MSG. Anybody think Dave Maloney would be better than Joe M?

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Exactly, Theres no crowd noise on MSG. Anybody think Dave Maloney would be better than Joe M?
Maybe, but I don't think we should remove Sam or Joe, they're both good, sometimes they just get sidetracked, and that I don't like...

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
nyrmetros

The crowd volume on most game telecasts is very low, which is a shame.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Turn up the crowd volume and the broadcasts would be perfect

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
Turn up the crowd volume and the broadcasts would be perfect

agreed. especially the crowd volume from the blueseats.

Old
01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
I think Dave definetly is the wiser of the two. I'm still pissed that Dave didn't stop to say hello to the fans on the way out of the Garden, when I saw him. Me and my brother got autographs from like 8 players that night, and Dave was too cool. Oh well, I still think he's better at color than Joe, but I don't dislike him.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:10 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Yes and no. I think he's just fine on the radio. In fact, I love our radio guys. Kenny and Dave are excellent. But Dave is very homerish. Which is understandable. But I'm not sure I'd enjoy him on TV. A definite possibility though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPackFan07 View Post
Agreed. I think awkward is the correct word for Giannone's call of the game. He doesn't let the game breathe. He gives you a radio call. Tries to describe every pass, bump, turnover, etc....we're watching the game, we don't need everything explained to us.
This is exactly right. I thinki JG means well and he's not that awful but you've got to understand that the first chances he was getting to do games was on the radio when Kenny was gone. And radio play by play is one of the toughest things to do. So aside from having to learn that, he hasn't even had time to get solid at it and now they're switching him to fill in for Sam. It's gotta be tough not knowing either and being new at it and then having to switch between the two.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:04 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
personally ive found the picture on CI to be worse on msg broadcasts against atlanta and colorodo this season that i can remember. the colors were really bad, the ice looked yellow on msg and the puck was hard to see.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
The loud audio for the commercials is common with every television broadcast.. in some places its worse then others, but all stations do it.. it grabs your attention in the other room.. or if you are sitting there trying to talk to someone its so obnoxious you have to hit the mute button.
Which is why I would argue this tactic isn't good for advertisers. Hitting the mute button is a lot easier than cranking the volume down, then cranking it back up 90 seconds later.

I try to just get 5 or so minutes behind on my DVR by doing my own replays or pausing the game when I need to leave the room, then I just FF though the commercials anyway. Then only downside is that I can't follow the GDT in real time.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
nyrmetros

I enjoy homer announcers on the radio. I am listening to the game as a Rangers fan, I want Kenny and Dave to be 100% pro Rangers biased....

MSG - turn up the crowd volume !!! the garden sounds dead on tv!

Old
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I enjoy homer announcers on the radio. I am listening to the game as a Rangers fan, I want Kenny and Dave to be 100% pro Rangers biased....

MSG - turn up the crowd volume !!! the garden sounds dead on tv!
I don't like bias if it comes in the form of blatantly mis-calling the action, and saying things that simply aren't true just because you're partial to a team. I don't mind bias if it's in the form of primarily discussing/analyzing the Rangers performance.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote