HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi - "Offensive Defensman" - ???

Old
12-31-2007, 10:16 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Maybe Danny G will be the future captain .
one can only hope

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 10:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

He got the third star of the night for the nhl. nice.

way to go g-rod

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
NYR Viper

in juniors, wasnt he a good offensive defenseman?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
in juniors, wasnt he a good offensive defenseman?
His last two season in Juniors, he posted point totals of 47 and 39, in 68 and 69 games, respectively. That's above average for a defenseman in the OHL, but there are plenty of players at that level who post far higher totals (and many amount to career AHL-ers).

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
I think he could put up 15/25 splits consistantly... but anything higher then that would be reaching IMO...

personally, I dont think I expected him to get more then 5 goals this year.... so I am pretty happy with him thus far to say the least

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
His last two season in Juniors, he posted point totals of 47 and 39, in 68 and 69 games, respectively. That's above average for a defenseman in the OHL, but there are plenty of players at that level who post far higher totals (and many amount to career AHL-ers).
Former Rangers prospect Jonathain Paiement had good years in juniors, i still wonder why we did not sign him to at least an AHL contract.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Does anybody else notice that since he has been scoring more his defensive play has become worse and worse.

Does anybody think that he might be thinking too much about scoring and should focus on his defensive play some more?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:06 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The offense is nice as long as it's not at the expense of his defensive game. But I agree, Girardi and Tyutin make a great second pair. They're the type of players you like as your second tier pair, because they're solid defensively but can also make the pass to start the transition game and chip in on offense.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:10 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Does anybody else notice that since he has been scoring more his defensive play has become worse and worse.

Does anybody think that he might be thinking too much about scoring and should focus on his defensive play some more?
I think he's still essentially a rookie, and it's taking some time and effort to put it all together. It's really easy to forget how inexperienced the kid is. No cause for concern, in my opinion.

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:14 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Far from offensive defenseman, but it's nice to see that he's good both ways, never know, maybe the guy will become a lesser Lidstrom type.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Levitate

Quote:

If it was because he was getting caught pinching a lot, or something, I'd be more inclined to think that the two are inversely related. As it is, most of his mishaps have been just plain defensive breakdowns. I don't think his increased offense is to blame

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:18 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Hes been great offensively. And in the first 25 games he was great defensively. He has struggled a bit defensively as of late..but he will come around.
Good point, but it might be more than "a bit". Though I guess I shouldn't be too harsh on him because the whole team has struggled defensively for a while there. As a d-man I would really have liked to see his +/- better than second worst on the team. He's ahead of, only, Colton Orr. I kind of think that it's his offensive game that has kept him playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
He will be a great 2nd pair defensman for us for years to come..
I hope so, because I really, really like this kid. I think he showed great promise at the end of last season and the start of this. He's struggled defensively lately, but I guess you can't ask for too much from a rookie.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:20 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrampsLikeUs View Post
I think he's still essentially a rookie, and it's taking some time and effort to put it all together. It's really easy to forget how inexperienced the kid is. No cause for concern, in my opinion.
Him being a Rookie is my concern. Sometimes the glamor or scoring can get to a rookies head. i don't think it will happen, but it is a concern. His defensive play as of late has been very troubling.

Old
12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Former Rangers prospect Jonathain Paiement had good years in juniors, i still wonder why we did not sign him to at least an AHL contract.
because good numbers for a d man mean nothing if they can't actually play defense.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
NYR Viper

girardi is older than the normal "rookie" and therefore more mature, i wouldnt worry about him

he and tyutin have had a huge increase in responsibility with malik playing bad and staal being with rozsival....

girardi and tyutin have played against the other teams best lines whereas last year they were playing the lower lines

he is playing more penalty kill time which is part of the reason for the low +/-

the entire team hasnt scored enough goals therefore making everyones numbers low in that category

Old
12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
girardi is older than the normal "rookie" and therefore more mature, i wouldnt worry about him

he and tyutin have had a huge increase in responsibility with malik playing bad and staal being with rozsival....

girardi and tyutin have played against the other teams best lines whereas last year they were playing the lower lines

he is playing more penalty kill time which is part of the reason for the low +/-

the entire team hasnt scored enough goals therefore making everyones numbers low in that category
Killing penalties has no effect on +/-

Old
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Yep. Man-advantages for either team do not result in an increase or decrease in +/-.

Old
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
o, i did not know that...thank you

Old
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
o, i did not know that...thank you
no problem.

Old
12-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Draft Guru

I just find it funny he's got more goals than his buddy Callahan. I'd like to be a fly on the wall over dinner or something when Danny says "What's the matter, eh Cally? 50 goals in junior, 35 last year in the A, and now you're getting outscored by a stay-at-home D, eh? Sucks to be you."

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 02:17 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I just find it funny he's got more goals than his buddy Callahan. I'd like to be a fly on the wall over dinner or something when Danny says "What's the matter, eh Cally? 50 goals in junior, 35 last year in the A, and now you're getting outscored by a stay-at-home D, eh? Sucks to be you."

Callahan really needs to visit the fourth line or the AHL or something, I love Callahan as much as the next guy as a player, he brings a lot outside of scoring, but the fact is, he needs to bring scoring and he doesn't have it right now.

Of course it doesn't help that his two other linemates are also rookies and they really aren't doing much except keeping the puck in the offensive zone from time to time without a shot.

Old
12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

hahaha...yea....whats up with cally he seems to not be getting the chances he was last year.....

Old
12-31-2007, 02:33 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
All the reports I ever heard on Paiement mentioned that he was slow. Putting points up in the Q as a 19 and 20 year old like he did doesn't mean your going to be a good pro. He's currently going back and forth between the AHL and ECHL. Girardi is one year older than Paiement and in his second season in the NHL and definitely a good player. A team can sign 50 guys to NHL contracts. Girardi's first pro year was on an AHL contract. The Rangers had a bunch guys coming out of juniors and college last year when they signed Girardi in his second year to an NHL contract. Paiement wasn't good enough. We didn't even have room for Nate Guenin--a much better player than Paiement. It's not even arguable that the Rangers didn't make the right decision by signing Girardi. This guy is going is going to be around for a long time. Guenin is a maybe NHL player. Paiement is an almost definitely not. Why would we sign him if he's got no future?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 02:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Callahan really needs to visit the fourth line or the AHL or something, I love Callahan as much as the next guy as a player, he brings a lot outside of scoring, but the fact is, he needs to bring scoring and he doesn't have it right now.

Of course it doesn't help that his two other linemates are also rookies and they really aren't doing much except keeping the puck in the offensive zone from time to time without a shot.
Yeah, it's tough for Cally. We're asking an entire line to learn the ropes of the NHL together, which obviously isn't an easy task. If Callahan were to play on one of the top two lines (I'm just saying if, not that he should), then I'm fairly certain we'd be seeing a good bit more offense from him.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Yep. Man-advantages for either team do not result in an increase or decrease in +/-.
Perversely thats not true, technically yes, but added minutes and stress of PK can lead to fatigue and breakdowns. Hopefully Dan is young enough and mature enough to overcome this

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote