HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Predators @ Dallas 12/31/07 - The New Year's Eve Edition

Old
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
GDT: Predators @ Dallas 12/31/07 - The New Year's Eve Edition

at

7:30 CST
Radio: 100.1 FM (Nashville)
TV: Center Ice Only (Dallas feed)

Happy New Year's Everyone!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Seth Lake

Legwand, Suter, and Weber OUT. Bonk playing on a badly injured foot. Langfeld recalled, but might not play.

Dallas is a place that we've always struggled in. Gotta play from ahead and stay out of the penalty box as Dallas has the 4th ranked PP in the league. They are 1st on the PK too, so our power play might look like a "flower play" tonight, just warning you.

Old
12-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Seth Lake

Predators Game-Day Chat Room

http://www.freewebs.com/predatorschat/

Come join the fun!!!

Old
12-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Seth Lake

We WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

1-0 on Dumont's goal from Radulov and Arnott in the second.

Ellis with the shutout on 22 saves.

Preds break a 7 game losing streak in Dallas.

Hamhuis leads all skaters with 26:45 in ice time and 5 hits.

Koistinen with a great overall game too. Really making it hard on the coaching staff to pull him out of the lineup, which also helps out our injured guys by not making them rush back to help out.

Overall a good night!

Everyone stay safe tonight and have a great time.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Old
01-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Pred303

that, ladies and gents was what is commonly known as a "near miracle" win.. what a tremendous effort by this team tonight, playing shorthanded, with their backs against the wall, in a place we have only won twice in 16 games ever.. a gutsy, hardfought, hardplayed win..

...hand it to the bunch of grinders.. nichol, ortmeyer, tootoo, fiddler, bonk, smithson and gelinas for forechecking and hustling their rear ends off all night... kept the stars pinned in their zone virtually all night
...hand it to those six defensemen who played virtually an error free game.. we only commited three turnovers behind the redline all night, easily the fewest this year.. and then held them to only 22 shots on net, and probably less than 10 real scoring chances.
...hand it to dan ellis who was in total command out there. controlled every rebound, square up on every single shot all night.
...hand it to the penalty killers who absolutely dominated this game. hamhuis, devries, koistinen, zanon, smithson, ortmeyer, gelinas and nichol who were all simply outstanding out there killing penalties.. we not only held a great pp to an 0 for 6, they outshot them shorthanded 6-1 in over 11:43 of pk time.. maybe the best pk effort i've ever seen this team have in it's history.

wow... what a surprise of a game...

...koistinen looked mighty good tonight.. about 4 games in a row now where he's been one of the best players we've had on ice... had our three best non-nichol scoring chances again tonight. have no clue what we'll do once suter and weber get healthy, but we are going to have to find him some playing time somewhere.
...nichol looked like gretzky on the pk... well expect for the whole actually shooting the puck at the end thing... but he had some more game.
...nice shift by rads/arnott/dumont to score. rads with a great pass, dumont simply barely touched the puck and it barely slithered under turco.. turco caught not knowing where the puck was, simply did the splits and left the 5 hole open. turco kept this one from being about 4-0 though.

this is the type of game you thought coming into this year we have to play to be successful.. good goaltending, good defense, few turnovers, great penalty killing, hustling, grind it in deep type of hockey...

dallas announcers must have said ten times "we're not playing our best hockey".. they weren't because we were all over them forechecking and in the neutral zone and wouldn't let them.. (of course they also got in digs like "trashville", and "they're only 25 points behind detroit, *snicker*").. wasn't that much snickering going on in their booth by about midway thru the third period..

great to hear arnott, interviewed by dallas at the second break... got the feeling they were baiting him to say something bad about nashville... and he kept talking about what a great group of guys we had, and how much he thought of the organization and area, and what an honor it was to be selected captain.. was good stuff to hear, when you know he's saying things not thinking nashville fans are watching or hearing..

lots of heros in this one.. could say our entire pk was the star.. or nichol.. or koistinen.. or hamhuis.. or dumont.. or erat.. or devries... but my vote goes to ellis.. well, and maybe the pk.. and the forechecking forwards.. and the defensemen..

a fun one, because it was so unexpected, and honestly, so downright unlikely...

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Seth Lake

Wow, I'm not talking to myself anymore!!!

Old
01-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Happy New Year's peeps ... man I'm taking Dick Clark in my death pool for this coming year ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 01:32 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Happy New Year's peeps ... man I'm taking Dick Clark in my death pool for this coming year ...
That was brutal, wasn't it?

For those who ragged on Dumont...he's doing that thing where he shuts us up, again

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:55 AM
RollingPredFan

I honestly thought we had no shot last night, we were playing the #2 team in the west...and coming off a lousy effort against the Sharks... And even during the game I kept thinking, well this will be another one of those nights where we carry the play all night and lose anyways lol... But hey great job by the Preds, who gutted out a win.

Its time to ride Ellis now... He's been the better goalie overall. I wouldnt start Mase unless its a back to back. I hate saying that but with the offense we have we can't afford any softies.

Happy New Years to everyone

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Pred303

over the past month or so, i've talked several times about how difficult a stretch of games we've had here this first half of the season.. and how we are now heading into a two month stretch, where the schedule gets "easier" and we have a chance to put together a run... in general, we play more home games these next two months (16 of 27)... we also tend to play more of the bottom 15 teams on the road during this stretch, and many of the top 15 type teams we play during these two months will be at home... so just in very general terms an "easier" two months..

sagarin, the computer guy for USA Today, confirms some of this in this ranking of his where overall strength of schedule is measured for each NHL team so far this year..

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/nhlsend.htm

lots of figures and complicated formulas, but what sagarin says is that of all the teams in the league, so far we have had the 3rd toughest schedule these first 38 games.. toughest being a measure of how many 'top 10' teams we have played (21 of our 38 games), and top 16 teams we have played (28 of our 38 games).. cross-indexed with whether those games were played at home or on the road..

schedules largely equal out as the season goes on.. now our strength of schedule gets markedly easier for these next two months... just a little confirmation of what i've been saying... we're getting ready to have our shot, starting right now.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Statesman

As reported in the TN---I like what BT did to help motivate Ellis before the Dallas game.He reminded Dan that "these guys (meaning the Stars) didn't want you".

Seemed to work---an unlikely victory for sure--will take it.

Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
monkeyluvhockey

I think Ellis should play 10 or more games straight to see if he has it. What do you guys think about Samsinov pick on waivers?
how do i get a cool avatar

monkeyluvhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluvhockey View Post
I think Ellis should play 10 or more games straight to see if he has it. What do you guys think about Samsinov pick on waivers?
how do i get a cool avatar
Agreed

He's literally done and the league is done with him

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=422772 ... while at that page right click copy image location ... click User CP ... under Settings & Options ... click Edit Avatar ... and paste it under Option 1 ... I'm not sure on the # of post rules maybe 40 posts or 40 days is the probationary period

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statesman View Post
As reported in the TN---I like what BT did to help motivate Ellis before the Dallas game.He reminded Dan that "these guys (meaning the Stars) didn't want you".

Seemed to work---an unlikely victory for sure--will take it.
Not to take any credit away from Trotzy, but...

I did the same thing Sunday as the players were leaving the practice rink and I got to talk to Ellis for a minute. When I confronted him about the idea, he paused and then smiled and said, "Yeah, it would be good to go against my old pals."

Barry was probably a little more direct though.

Old
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
when Wllis is hot, he's blazing hot. I really hope Trotz rides him out.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
monkeyluvhockey

do you feel the season is over so hold on for picks and the next year or do you splash with a big trade even if it means big players? GO NASHVILLE

Old
01-01-2008, 09:19 PM
monkeyluvhockey

i can ont attend alot of games because of i work an odd time and offten but we still need seats sold what has been our sales not to beat a dead horse but we need sales if we want a team I hope we have a team 50 years from now I want kids to be like me when i look and Montreal and say damn that team has history and pride. Nashville get some pride this is your city

Old
01-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluvhockey View Post
do you feel the season is over so hold on for picks and the next year or do you splash with a big trade even if it means big players? GO NASHVILLE
The season isn't over. Now, whether or not this team will in fact make the playoffs is another story or opinion.

I have a feeling that we will stay "in it" long enough to not make any changes but still fall short. We will get a win and think, ok, this will get them going, but we won't. We'll win 2 and then lose 3.

I don't think we'll see anything major from Poile. It took him a while to be able to muster up the guts in order to make big trades in bringing in Witt and Forsberg at/near the deadlines. He obviously felt at those times that we would have a good chance of going far (which we should have). Even if we are "in it" around the deadline, I doubt we see something this year. Perhaps a smaller depth move. But Poile will play it safe as he likely will not want to risk losing draft picks (especially this upcoming draft).

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:24 AM
fielding

It's nice that Ellis got a shutout and the Preds won while I was busy working on a New Year's day hangover. Maybe I should drink more often

fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 03:45 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
That was a great defensive/road hockey game. Both teams seemed to be playing safe and not wanting to make any mistakes.

Great job by the PK!! I was hoping they could end with 0 shots allowed, but 1 is still great! I think 2 seasons ago near the beginning of the year we were in Colorado and the PK allowed 0 shots on 5 Avs PP.

Nice work to get the goal by Dumont, with a good pass from Radulov.

Turco made some good saves. Stoned Nichol twice.

Nichol was good overall, not so much on the breakaway/PS.

Our D men blocked 12 of 17 shots, with Zanon leading the way (gee, big surprise there) with 6 blocks! They really did a great job at both ends of the ice, they even had 6/30 shots. They just really limited anything/everything Dallas wanted to do.

The only thing to complain about would be only winning 36% F/O. Arnott went 2/17!

Great job by Ellis!! He really looked like he was focused and seeing everything and in control the whole time. Can't believe the Dallas media didn't give him the #1 star (went to Turco)!

Happy New Year to you all!! 2007 brought us some crazy ups (Forsberg! Local owners!) and downs (playoffs, May 24 and trades) for the Predators Nation but we all made it through. I hope you all have a wonderful 2008!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote