HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

1000000000000000000 different lines?

Old
12-31-2007, 02:39 PM
gocbj

vCash: 500
1000000000000000000 different lines?

Someone please help me. I know injuries impact lines, but why don't we ever seem to have the same 3 guys playing together? It seems like we draw names from a hat.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
blahblah

Hitch is searching... And not finding....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Hitch is searching... And not finding....
kinda hard to find chemistry when you play every game with different linemates...

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:30 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
Someone please help me. I know injuries impact lines, but why don't we ever seem to have the same 3 guys playing together? It seems like we draw names from a hat.
Multitude of reasons. Read the Hitchcock Coach's Show thread. He answered that question on his show on Wednesday.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=11801611
One thing he's doing is experimenting with adding youthful speed to certain lines to improve our weak transition game.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Skraut

It's still better than the start of last season where this was used....

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

either that, or GG just asked MacLean who should play where...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
Yep. This is my biggest concern in coaching as well... Only team succeeding with this currently is Montreal. Another line juggling team is Chicago, which is failing to do it as well and they sure would have a possibility to try to build good chemistry.

Did Hitch do this in Dallas and Philadelphia as well, or is this a new thing?

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:31 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Did Hitch do this in Dallas and Philadelphia as well, or is this a new thing?
When you are starved for top 6 (scoring lines) help and two guys that you expected to help you there (Feds and Vyorny) aren't giving you the production you need, you tend to keep trying things. Novotny seems to have stuck. Chimera might stick on that line as well, even though he seems to be a stretch. Beech has been serviceable with Nash, so he might hold down that job for a while until Brassard comes back up here. However there doesn't seem to be an answer for wing on that top line.

I think you'll see the stable line when he starts to see the things he wants to see, like Novotny and Zherdev.

Old
01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
CBJ 97 61 16

Hitch has said many times that it is pairs that are working together in the NHL now, not lines. So, I think you see many different paired combos stay together for a while, rather than complete lines. Nash-Feds, Novo-Z, Nash-Beech, Manny-Chimera. Many other players will complete these lines, but the pairs mainly stay together.

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
When you are starved for top 6 (scoring lines) help and two guys that you expected to help you there (Feds and Vyorny) aren't giving you the production you need, you tend to keep trying things.
The problem in my opinion is, that you can't base opinions how players play together just by one game. You need at least 3-5 games to build that chemistry, in the first game players together are just learning how others are playing their game especially in the offensive zone while holding the puck and finding linemates to generate scoring chances.

For me, when I played more I found it much easier to play with the same guys night in night out no matter what their skill levels were. You just for some reason know much better what to expect and where to be because you have learned their style. In NHL level, teams being so damn talented and close to each other knowing what your linemate does is the key to score goals. We all have seen how much trouble Jackets have had in games to even get decent shots on goal because they can't use their linemates properly.

Currently, Hitch only tries one game, changes lines to the next game and the building chemistry is already gone. And even if a line does succeed, he still tends to change them.

Old
01-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ_97_61_55 View Post
Hitch has said many times that it is pairs that are working together in the NHL now, not lines. So, I think you see many different paired combos stay together for a while, rather than complete lines. Nash-Feds, Novo-Z, Nash-Beech, Manny-Chimera. Many other players will complete these lines, but the pairs mainly stay together.
St. Louis - Lecavalier - Prospal is the best line in NHL and Tortorella uses the game after game - Their game just works. I know first two are one of the most talented out there, but without Prospal being there always they wouldn't score as much goals as they are now.

Same goes example with Sedins playing now with Naslund. Their chemistry works so well that Naslund has got his game into the level it should be, comparing to last season.

Old
01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
CBJ 97 61 16

Quote:
St. Louis - Lecavalier - Prospal is the best line in NHL and Tortorella uses the game after game - Their game just works. I know first two are one of the most talented out there, but without Prospal being there always they wouldn't score as much goals as they are now.

Same goes example with Sedins playing now with Naslund. Their chemistry works so well that Naslund has got his game into the level it should be, comparing to last season.
I didn't say it was hard and steadfast. I didn't say that this is exactly how it is and there is nothing different. There are exceptions to the rule. This is just what Coach Hitchcock has said.

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ_97_61_55 View Post
I didn't say it was hard and steadfast. I didn't say that this is exactly how it is and there is nothing different. There are exceptions to the rule. This is just what Coach Hitchcock has said.
Yeah I understood, I was just trying to say that Hitch should also do the same instead of trying to go just with pairings... Altough I haven't noticed that done too much either

Old
01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Currently, Hitch only tries one game, changes lines to the next game and the building chemistry is already gone. And even if a line does succeed, he still tends to change them.
It is what it is. We've have guys playing in roles they probably shouldn't be, logging minutes they probably shouldn't be receiving. Some of it is lack of depth on the high skill side, some of it is injuries. I think Hitch is trying matchups based on gameplans.

I mean do we really think Fritsche on the top line or Chimera on the second (well 1a and 1b) are really going to stay that way for long? If Modin ever returns that will go a long way in stablizing one of the top lines.

He's starting to settle in on some of the pairs, which hopefully won't change much with injury returns. Although Peca's return could cause some chaos.

Old
01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Dont forget...he has to change things up sometimes when we are coming off PKs or the Man advantage.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
gocbj

injuries...pk...powerplays...I understand, but even with all of that, it still seems as though we should see a pattern at a minimum. Not only can't I name one line, I can't even describe what we are trying to do.

size together? speed? puck handlers? Always pair Nash with...? Never put this guy with that guy...???????

In baseball, it sure helps to come to the game knowing that you are going to bat second, ahead of the same guy and behind the same guy. A guy likes to swing 2 and 0...never swings 2 and 0...likes to steal on a 0-1 count...goes to the right side with 2 strikes, etc. i can imagine that these nuances exist in hockey too.

Look, we are not going to win the cup this year. Even if Hitch can only come up with a 3rd line, create it and stick with it! We can't be searching for a #1 center on every shift. Try things in 5 game bundles.

Again, ask everyone to list our 4 lines for the next game, and I bet every answer is different.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote