HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa - Dubinsky - Callahan

Old
12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
rangers4ever2007

vCash: 500
Hossa - Dubinsky - Callahan

do those 3 guys combine to have the makings of an effective checking line?

thoughts?

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Yes. The problem is, the fourth line is supposed to be the checking line, the the third line is supposed to be half and half, with scoring making the other 50% up, and that isn't happening.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

my thoughts are Callahan is skating on thin ice.....

always liked Hossas work on the boards, strong on the puck, responsible

Dubi shows he has it all....going to be a real player imo

12-31-2007, 05:33 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Yes. The problem is, the fourth line is supposed to be the checking line, the the third line is supposed to be half and half, with scoring making the other 50% up, and that isn't happening.
yeah i know.. i think the 3rd line needs a different and a permanent role..

maybe that will take some pressure off and goals will start coming??

just a thought

Old
12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post

thoughts?
As has been mentioned, the fourth line is the real checking line. And if you ice this combo what do you do with Prucha? He'll be even less productive on the fourth line and he's not taking a spot on the top two lines.

12-31-2007, 05:39 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
As has been mentioned, the fourth line is the real checking line. And if you ice this combo what do you do with Prucha? He'll be even less productive on the fourth line and he's not taking a spot on the top two lines.
yeah, but think the 4th is more of an energy line than a checking line?

also, what kind of defenseman do you think prucha and malik/mara can bring back?

Old
12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
KEEP PRUCHA..! he brings back nothing that would make us a better team then what we are now.. his intensity that he brings to the game every night.. it would be stupid to let someone go with that talent.. when all we have to do is give him more minutes.. he's hardly out there.. and you complain about his points and what he does..

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
mike14

I'd like to see a third line of Avery - Dubi - Callahan, a good mix of offense and defense.
It's time to see if Dawes can be a top 6 NHL forward, cos if not they are going to have to go out and fine one

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post

thoughts?
I thought they put up some really nice shifts together. I love Dubi's play along the boards, he's so strong there. I'm not and haven't been a Hossa fan, but his +/- is the best on this team. Cally has struggled lately, not sure why he isn't spending some time in Hartford and other players given some time in the NHL for experience...but with the way I've seen him play and some have recommended Avery on a 3rd checking line, I kind of think Cally might be like a young Avery. He's got fairly good hands, hits, and always seems to be in the mix causing a ruckus after the play. I truely wonder if he's an agitator in the making.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:29 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
KEEP PRUCHA..! he brings back nothing that would make us a better team then what we are now.. his intensity that he brings to the game every night.. it would be stupid to let someone go with that talent.. when all we have to do is give him more minutes.. he's hardly out there.. and you complain about his points and what he does..
i wasn't complaining, reread what was stated

no wonder you aren't doing commercials anymore

Old
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I'd like to see a third line of Avery - Dubi - Callahan, a good mix of offense and defense.
It's time to see if Dawes can be a top 6 NHL forward, cos if not they are going to have to go out and fine one

Right now, I don't think you move Avery off the 2nd line. He actually seems to make that line go, either using his speed to get the puck in, and back the defenders up, or just by causing havoc around the net, allowing Drury to put home the game-tying goal.

For the immediate future, I don't see Renney missing with the developing chemistry on the top two lines.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:36 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Right now, I don't think you move Avery off the 2nd line. He actually seems to make that line go, either using his speed to get the puck in, and back the defenders up, or just by causing havoc around the net, allowing Drury to put home the game-tying goal.

For the immediate future, I don't see Renney missing with the developing chemistry on the top two lines.
yeah i agree.. the first 2 lines should be left the way they are

Old
12-31-2007, 07:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Why Callahan continues to play in the NHL is lunacy.

And why people actually think that he is better then Prucha is even worse.

Callahan has ONE point this season.... ONE... in 22 games.

I like Callahan, but he should be in Hartford.

The third line should really be:

Prucha - Dubinsky - Dawes

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 07:59 PM
storm fan

give Cally more playing time and see if he doesn't score. He has just come off of an injury and is only getting a limited amount of playing time and no PP or Pk - Dubi's and Prucka's points came on the PP

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm fan View Post
give Cally more playing time and see if he doesn't score. He has just come off of an injury and is only getting a limited amount of playing time and no PP or Pk - Dubi's and Prucka's points came on the PP
No. He's been back for 13 games. His game high since being back is 14:49 and his game low is 5:09. Limited ice time for sure, but he has got a drizzle of PK and PP time here and there as well.

Prucha has 4-6-10 on the season, 2-2-4 of those have come on the powerplay, certainly not all of them.

Dubinsky has 3-6-9, 0-5-5 of them have been on the powerplay, again, not all of them.

They do need more ice time and the fourth line needs less ice time, but for some reason, Renney thinks his fourth line is the best line in the world...

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 08:41 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

1 Goal In His First Game....ouch

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
cheifshockey23

colton orr has double the pionts of callahan whenn colton has double the pionts of a player you know somethings wrong

cheifshockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 08:57 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
No. He's been back for 13 games. His game high since being back is 14:49 and his game low is 5:09. Limited ice time for sure, but he has got a drizzle of PK and PP time here and there as well.

Prucha has 4-6-10 on the season, 2-2-4 of those have come on the powerplay, certainly not all of them.

Dubinsky has 3-6-9, 0-5-5 of them have been on the powerplay, again, not all of them.

They do need more ice time and the fourth line needs less ice time, but for some reason, Renney thinks his fourth line is the best line in the world...
lol, yeah..

in fact, the only time the 4th line should be on the ice is when the rangers are trailing by like 2 goals or if the crowd is silent at a home game and bodies need to be banged around

Old
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Why Callahan continues to play in the NHL is lunacy.

And why people actually think that he is better then Prucha is even worse.

Callahan has ONE point this season.... ONE... in 22 games.

I like Callahan, but he should be in Hartford.

The third line should really be:

Prucha - Dubinsky - Dawes
NO. Prucha and Dawes should never be on the same line. They are too small and get thrown around way too easily.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Fletch

Somewhat agree, rags..

Dawes and Prucha should never be on the same line unless there is a big body in the middle. Dubi has that big body, but it's not a line I would want to see until Dubi develops better offensive talent at even strength.

The proposed line is actually an interesting line. But it is a line that would not score much and Betts would be better against top lines with those two linemates.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
DontStepanMe

I just think Dubi is the only player that can hold on to the puck. He is good at cycling down low whereas neither dawes nor Prucha are that good at that. Also his playmaking isn't there yet (which goes w/ what you said about developing). Dawes and Prucha both rely on playmakers, as dawes has a little but prucha has just about no playmaking ability.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Larry Melnyk

CALLAHAN has done nothing in his Ranger career, especially lately, to merit any ice time..His ass needs to be sat down...Trying Prucha-Dubi-Hossa (you don't take Avery off the 2nd line ) would be a good start....We have to generate CONSISTENT support offense from the 3rd line..Or the 4th line (but we know that can't happen).....The fairly strong defensive and checking abilities of the HBO line , though not a true shut down line and they do get overmatched by some speed lines, means that we don't need a "checking" 3rd line but rather one that can score a little some and hold their own defensively, especially against some speedier lines..Would give us alot of options.....If Cally were as good as some people make him out to be, he might be the answer, but except for two 2-goal games last year he has basically been an offensive black hole (just like Prucha until those two goals)..The 3rd line needs to be watched

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:37 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
CALLAHAN has done nothing in his Ranger career, especially lately, to merit any ice time..His ass needs to be sat down...Trying Prucha-Dubi-Hossa (you don't take Avery off the 2nd line ) would be a good start....We have to generate CONSISTENT support offense from the 3rd line..Or the 4th line (but we know that can't happen).....The fairly strong defensive and checking abilities of the HBO line , though not a true shut down line and they do get overmatched by some speed lines, means that we don't need a "checking" 3rd line but rather one that can score a little some and hold their own defensively, especially against some speedier lines..Would give us alot of options.....If Cally were as good as some people make him out to be, he might be the answer, but except for two 2-goal games last year he has basically been an offensive black hole (just like Prucha until those two goals)..The 3rd line needs to be watched
No offense, b/c I respect alot of what you say, but what exactly has Hossa brought to the table offensively either to warrant playing time on the third line? Cally had a good playoffs w/ us last year. But your right that he has done nothing for us this year. Problem is Prucha, Hossa and Cally have done jack for us since last season. Dubi is the only person deserving of time right now and b/c his linemates are playing awful he gets less ice time. We need a shakeup of the third line. Make a small trade for another 3rd liner or second liner.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Fletch

Dubi can cycle...

and hold onto the puck, but I'm not sure if he knows yet what to do after that. We'll see as he starts to accumulate points at even strength; something that he hasn't done a lot of yet despite playing with Jagr.

I actually think that Prucha and Cally can cycle. Prucha has shown it, and tried it this year but he and Drury really didn't click whatsoever, for whatever reason. Cally's gritty and can. Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch many games with Dubi as their center (if that's still the case), so perhaps I'm going on old info and they've shown that the three cannot cycle.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Fletch

Cally didn't do too much though...

even in the playoffs - it became painfully obviously that his line couldn't get much done. They had a good game against Atlanta and I think the rest of the playoffs were mostly a non-factor (although they didn't hurt the team except for a lack of scoring; meaning, they weren't scored against a heck of a lot). Hossa, of whom I'm not a fan, seems to have shown me more than Cally in the last couple seasons. The difference is it appears Cally works harder, but the results aren't better (perhaps because Cally needs to work harder due to his size). I dunno. I've always been skeptical about Cally, but he changed my mind last season in his short stint, but no I'm not seeing it again (not seeing more than a fourth liner, a guy who can replace Hollweg).