HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Novotny back

Old
01-01-2008, 03:26 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Novotny back

has he basically become the teams number one center? Hitch really seams to like him, he plays a ton.

He is a former first rounder, he was suppose to be good.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 03:45 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
has he basically become the teams number one center? Hitch really seams to like him, he plays a ton.

He is a former first rounder, he was suppose to be good.
As of right now, he's the #2 center. I'll admit that this next statement is debatable at this point in the season but I still see Nash's line as the first line and Zherdev's line as the second line. He's had great chemistry with Zherdev and has centered him the past few weeks.

J-No (This is his best nickname, you can't convince me otherwise) has played great for us so far. He can be put into any situation and we know what we're gonna get from him: smart, consistent play.

cydawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Dawg8

Novo is a much better nickname and also the one his teammates use.

Dawg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Novo has been an absolute gem. This guy is getting big time minutes, and not hurting the team at all. And, God love him, he crashes the net. Has 7 goals now, and could have more with some luck.

I think Hitch does a heck of a job getting players to play to their strengths, and learn to minimize their weaknesses. Novo is doing just that.

Our gain, Buffalo's loss.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Brassard Calder

Novo has been a great signing. One of my friends who is a Sabres fan told me he thought it was a great pickup for the Jackets when we signed him. He is a former first round pick No. 13 overall I believe. I'm not ready to say he's our best center yet, but I will give him props for the way he's playing. As I said in the game thread, I thought he was our best forward last night, even with Nash getting the hat trick.

And he really seems to have great chemistry with Zherdev which has helped solidify the second line.

He's also been great at crashing the net and doing all the other little things.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:43 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Good on D and getting to the net. But....the one thing I wish he was better at was catching a pass as he skates up the open ice. Anybody else notice this about him? Or is it just driving ME crazy? He misses a lot of pucks in transition.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah, he's been a nice surprise, but we can't get carried away Good news is, at this point, he will probably only get better.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

good thing is, we have him signed through next season, for cheap.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
good thing is, we have him signed through next season, for cheap.
Yep. And he's only 24 years old.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Macster

My favourite thing about Novo is that he gives it 100% every time he's on the ice. He's such a hard worker, and if the team needs a dirty, workmanlike goal, he's the goal to put on the ice. If there was a stat for hideous, change of momentum goal scoring, he'd be the leader.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
My favourite thing about Novo is that he gives it 100% every time he's on the ice. He's such a hard worker, and if the team needs a dirty, workmanlike goal, he's the goal to put on the ice. If there was a stat for hideous, change of momentum goal scoring, he'd be the leader.
I can't think of one other player in the previous history of this team that reminds me of Novotny....Maybe Bruce Gardiner?? Beech seems to be the same type of player... first rounder that has bounced a few places and is ready to prove he belongs... Good to see.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I can't think of one other player in the previous history of this team that reminds me of Novotny....Maybe Bruce Gardiner?? Beech seems to be the same type of player... first rounder that has bounced a few places and is ready to prove he belongs... Good to see.
Heinze scored most of his goals the ugly way while he was here.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 04:59 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

fair to say he is the team's number one center?

I think Hitch had Nash - Novotny - Zherdev together. who else is there? Peca? And I think hitch like Federov on his own line.

Old
01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:

I think Hitch had Nash - Novotny - Zherdev together. who else is there? Peca? And I think hitch like Federov on his own line.
That could change at any time; Hitch has shuffled the lines so much in recent weeks. While Nash - Novotny - Zherdev was our number one line, they were a combined -8. They did generate 11 shots on goal though.

I think Hitch was just trying Nash out with Novotny and Zherdev, as those two have good chemistry together. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go on another game or two but I doubt it's permanent.

cydawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Not fair. Hitch is trying all sorts of stuff to get scoring - he's had every regular center on the team except Malhotra (Feds, Beech, Peca, Novo) centering the top line at one point in time or another this season.

Old
01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Nordique

I hate trying to categorize our forwards. TOI is important and Novotny and Fedorov both get about the same time, close to 18 minutes per game. Peca is on the ice closer to 19 minutes a game. Maholtra 15 minutes and change.

Number one center is a role that is filled by committee.

Novotny and Zherdev work great together and I wish that was our second scoring line tandem every night. I like Nash better with Peca/Beech. Fedorov with Glencross.

To the OP, Novotny has been very good and I think Buffalo would take him back in a heart beat given their situation this year.

Hejda would be top 6 in Edmonton as well.

And then there is Peca, a great pickup for a million in spare change.

Howson has done well on a budget.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Novotny reminds me alot of Svitov too, he's not as physcial, but is just as good defensively and he's more offensively gifted then Alex was.

Maybe like a Gardiner-Svitov Mix...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 05:47 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

what about his actually skill level? he goes to the net, he hussles and he has good size, but is he a talent or is he 'good'.

Old
01-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
what about his actually skill level? he goes to the net, he hussles and he has good size, but is he a talent or is he 'good'.
Well, most of his goals are him crashing the net, not stickhandling through three guys. He is a good passer and has some hockey sense but as far as offense goes he's "good", IMO

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I hate trying to categorize our forwards. TOI is important and Novotny and Fedorov both get about the same time, close to 18 minutes per game. Peca is on the ice closer to 19 minutes a game. Maholtra 15 minutes and change.

Number one center is a role that is filled by committee.

Novotny and Zherdev work great together and I wish that was our second scoring line tandem every night. I like Nash better with Peca/Beech. Fedorov with Glencross.

To the OP, Novotny has been very good and I think Buffalo would take him back in a heart beat given their situation this year.

Hejda would be top 6 in Edmonton as well.

And then there is Peca, a great pickup for a million in spare change.

Howson has done well on a budget.
They would like both Peca and Novotny back..... They could have had Peca.... Big mistakes recently by the Sabres should put Darcy out of job imo....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Nitty gritty - if you're looking for a guy for your pool, Novo's probably not the answer. More value in real life than in fantasy.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 01:38 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Novotny`s stats are 34 7 10 17. /This is (average) 17 24 41 points in 82 games./ And his time is about 18-21 minutes + PP and SH. Is this certainly second center ??? NOT. We waited less for him and because we`re enthustastic from him. But dream of excelent center from Novotny is one thing and reality is second think. I like Jiri, but we must to see reality to the eyes. And it`s mean he`s good third center but not first or second center. He has good defensive but he isn`t very skill and speed.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Nordique

We don't really have a 1st line center, its like a bull pen in baseball, centering by committee. It kind of works, but Novotny is not the long term solution to the 1st line center problem.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Novotny`s stats are 34 7 10 17. /This is (average) 17 24 41 points in 82 games./ And his time is about 18-21 minutes + PP and SH. Is this certainly second center ??? NOT. We waited less for him and because we`re enthustastic from him. But dream of excelent center from Novotny is one thing and reality is second think. I like Jiri, but we must to see reality to the eyes. And it`s mean he`s good third center but not first or second center. He has good defensive but he isn`t very skill and speed.
Novotny might at some point in his career be able to throw up around 50-60 points (it's not much of a stretch from his current pace). He just got done with a 6 points in 7 games stretch until our top line died a horrible death on the road trip. He checks well and is pretty good with the board battles. He crashes the net and is a fairly big/strong player.

He's got more then what your giving him credit for.

No one's saying we're likely to ever see true first line play out of this guy, but he could end up being a very servicable 2nd line center. This has been a huge development year for this kid and he's doing fairly well.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Novotny might at some point in his career be able to throw up around 50-60 points (it's not much of a stretch from his current pace). He just got done with a 6 points in 7 games stretch until our top line died a horrible death on the road trip. He checks well and is pretty good with the board battles. He crashes the net and is a fairly big/strong player.

He's got more then what your giving him credit for.

No one's saying we're likely to ever see true first line play out of this guy, but he could end up being a very servicable 2nd line center. This has been a huge development year for this kid and he's doing fairly well.
He reminds me of Vyborny 3 years ago. Very good at making guys like Zherdev and Nash better. I could see him matching Vybes 65 point season if he spent 80 games with Zherdev.