HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Brule to the Cuse

Old
01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Brassard Calder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
You also have to remember that Malhotra and Peca could be back this road trip as well
Yeah. I don't expect Brassard to be up for at least a few more weeks. When he does come up, I would expect Brule to possibly take his spot on the line in Syracuse.

Getting Manny and Peca back will be a huge boost on faceoffs (they are our top 2 guys at that). Peca could also be the center to stabilize the first line with Nash. That would allow Beech or Manny to center the Boll-Shelley Line. Unless of course, Lindstrom stays up maybe Jody starts getting scratched more?

In any event it sure is nice to start getting healthy again.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Gilbert's a center that was moved to RW so Doug MacLean and Gerard Gallant could justify playing him in Columbus last year...and it seems pretty clear to me that When you have Mike Peca and Manny Malhotra shelved with injuries and Feds,Beech,Novotny and Fritsche all centerman already on the roster, Brule demotion to "season properly" in the AHL is long overdue.

Go Gilbert, show us what you can do when your playing against guys closer to your age in the "A" score 40-50 points the rest of this season and return to Columbus is september 08, but be ready, you'll have to work harder than you did to earn a roster spot.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
FINALLY.

...so I guess he won't be a celebrity bar tender or whatever with Jared in about a week?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
FINALLY.

...so I guess he won't be a celebrity bar tender or whatever with Jared in about a week?
Haha... funny you mention that... when I heard them announce it on FSN, the only thing I could think was "He better get used to it because if he keeps up this level of play he's gonna be doing that for a living in a few years."

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Macster

I think this is essentially a re-start for Gilbert. I still have faith that he'll give us some Theo Fleury (in his prime)-type stats.

Tear the AHL up bud!

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:30 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Haha... funny you mention that... when I heard them announce it on FSN, the only thing I could think was "He better get used to it because if he keeps up this level of play he's gonna be doing that for a living in a few years."
My first thought when Rimmer said Brule "will be serving some cold Bud Light" is... hey wait, he can't serve Bud Light in this state. Isn't he only 20?!? Then I realized his 21st birthday is today.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

My only question is this: what took so long?
He should have been sent down a month ago.

Observation: I assume this also probably means he won't be traded.
If he was going to be part of a trade, they'd have kept him up to keep his value up.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:10 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

I am probably one of GB's biggest fans and this is very good news. His problems had to do with confidence and positioning. Spending time in the A is the correct move. I'm sure he even knows this. I don't know why it took as long as it did.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

So did we call up anyone? Is Vyborny out or was he just sitting out the 3rd against Edmonton to be on the safe side? Modin or Malhotra back?

Whaley Klesla 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I think this is essentially a re-start for Gilbert. I still have faith that he'll give us some Theo Fleury (in his prime)-type stats.

Tear the AHL up bud!
I agree wholeheartedly. Best wishes and hope to see you thrive in the NHL when you come back

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:33 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
My first thought when Rimmer said Brule "will be serving some cold Bud Light" is... hey wait, he can't serve Bud Light in this state. Isn't he only 20?!? Then I realized his 21st birthday is today.
when I saw that promo..thats the first thing I thought too!!!

Old
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

you just don't stick one of your best and brightest prospects on the fourth line, playing 5-7 mins a night when he can play 16-18 mins in the minors and learn what it takes to play in the NHL...

This is best move possible for Gilbert...I really hope he takes this as not a full blown demotion, but a chance to prove that he's part of the core of the future of this team.

Old
01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I am very inquisitive, where Gilbert will play. Whether like center or like winger. And when like center in which line. Cuse has Konopka and Brassard. And I do not expect some from them come to third line. When they planed why Howson did not do it when brass and Konopka were injury?

I wanted to say a some time ago. Where I can to hear Cuses lines?
Crunch actually have a ton of Centers, meaning on most lines there are two at a time.

Lines last weekend were:

Brassard-MacKenzie-Dorsett
Szwez-Konopka-Pineault
Sestito-Dupuis-Goertzen
Frischmon-Mirasty

If my memory is correct. Thats 5 centers there out of 11 forwards.

I can see Brule slotting in on the second line. Konopka shouldn't be taking face offs right now anyway. Move Szwez down to the third line and sit Sestito. But Pineault would benefit from having another offensive minded guy on the line, and Konopka can pick up the garbage in front of the net. Also, Konopka doesn't let his linemates slack off, so that will keep Gilbert from any bad effects from the demotion.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
bossy

Nice job Columbus,bring in an 18 year old,give him limited ice time with huge hype,pressure and expectations,then send him to the minors on his birthday. You are the model team for player developement.

bossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
KayZee13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy View Post
Nice job Columbus,bring in an 18 year old,give him limited ice time with huge hype,pressure and expectations,then send him to the minors on his birthday. You are the model team for player developement.
OUCH! But does MacLean factor in?

KayZee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
falcor

can't blame old management entirely for this years mistakes.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:31 PM
surixon

Best news iv heard regarding his development. The kid needs to play and play a lot in an offensive role, he will get this oppertunity now that hes in the AHL.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
monster_bertuzzi

The guy just needs to get his mojo back, simple as that. I cant imagine Gilbert had any confidence playing 8 minutes a game with Shelley and Boll on your fourth line! We know he is a great young player...or else why did he dominate the WHL like no one has seen in 10 years.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Renion

Quote:
I think the organization deserves the criticism, in this case. However, in regards to it being done on his birthday, I can see how it would be turned into a positive, as long as Brule is mature enough to handle it. He knows he's been languishing and not earning more ice time. He has to feel some despair. So, the organization tells him exactly what Macster implied: this is his chance to start over. We have tons of confidence in you being able to work your way back into the lineup. We know you have loads of talent. Show us what you've got.

I think a player in his situation would rather be given a sign of hope from his organization than just to keep riding the bench and despairing game after game. Of course, that's assuming that was Howson's approach

The cynic in me read JF's post and had another thought:

Quote:
My only question is this: what took so long?
He should have been sent down a month ago.

Observation: I assume this also probably means he won't be traded.
If he was going to be part of a trade, they'd have kept him up to keep his value up.
If you put your two thoughts together, you get the possibility that he has already been kept up this long just so his value wouldn't drop. Now, they can't justify him being on the roster any longer because he hasn't shown improvement. His value was dropping as it was.

So, if he doesn't improve in a timely manner in the AHL, it's quite possible he will be given up on sooner rather than later. I don't think they will let Brule's stock drop to Picard levels before they do something about it....

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
wildone26*

I am both sad and happy to see this. I have mixed feelings. That being said it was definitely the right choice at this point. I really want him to succeed but I am getting more worried all the time he wont make it.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Bossy... We here on this board may not always agree on everything, but you've opened up a can of worms that you can't close...

Brule, by all outlets and from the Preseason, earned a spot on this team... Partly because we hadn't seen Peca play yet and partly because of Novotny and especially, (since he wasn't on the opening night roster) Beech's progression.

As far as team development... The new regime is working hard and it will take time to undone the damage the previous regime did.

Gilbert is better served in the AHL this season. I'd argue they are finally moving towards a model team for player development.

Old
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
BlueJacketsGirl11

Send a message via AIM to BlueJacketsGirl11 Send a message via MSN to BlueJacketsGirl11 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueJacketsGirl11
I'm glad to hear the Brule is headed for the AHL. He has a ton of potenial, but he's not getting the time here to showcase it. Maybe going down will work for him and next season he'll be ready for the NHL.

BlueJacketsGirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

I think another big thing about Brule going down to Syracuse is it takes him out of the "lime light" so to speak. He has gotten some press about not playing up to the level that is expected (I think it was in the dispatch). This will help to take some pressure off of him because majority will kind of forget about him. He won't have so much pressure on him and he'll be able to go to the A and build confidence. And then when he comes back to camp in September, he will show that confidence and people will begin to remember the player that we knew he could be, not who he was. (hopefully)

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Bossy... We here on this board may not always agree on everything, but you've opened up a can of worms that you can't close...

Brule, by all outlets and from the Preseason, earned a spot on this team... Partly because we hadn't seen Peca play yet and partly because of Novotny and especially, (since he wasn't on the opening night roster) Beech's progression.

As far as team development... The new regime is working hard and it will take time to undone the damage the previous regime did.

Gilbert is better served in the AHL this season. I'd argue they are finally moving towards a model team for player development.
You're so nice, contingent.
I would have just told Bossy "you're a big dope."

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:51 PM
BollsABadDog123

Send a message via MSN to BollsABadDog123 Send a message via Yahoo to BollsABadDog123
Hard Decision!

Man half of my brain is yelling YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! and the other side is yelling NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! and I think Im gonna go with the Yes part cause this will just prove that gilbert is ready for the big leagues mentally and physically

BollsABadDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote