HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brule to the Cuse

Old
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
orthosrgn2

vCash: 500
Isn't it nice to know we finally have the luxary to send a Brule to the Cuse for development. Brule earned his spot on the opening roster, but most people feel he didn't maintain an adequate level of play. Why waste his time getting 6-8 minutes with the 4th line here when he could go to Syracuse, regain his confidence and learn how to better prepare himself for the NHL. This is a 21 year old kid with lots of upside and we should show patience with his progress. Go kick some ass in Syracuse, develop some timing with Brassard and come back later this year or next fall and show us your progress Gilbert. I for one am rooting for you.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
, I am from Slovakia, not from Russia. Slovakia was part of former Czechoslovakia.
But true is, Slavians languages are very similar (only Russian have azbuka and we Latin. Thanks but my English is horrible, but see
on other foreign like for example Feicht (he can excelent speak English, German and French) or Slavians fans here. They can speak English excelent.
Your English is actually quite good.

Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Sadly, this is needed. I am not letting XGMDM off the hook like others have. He totally mismanaged this kid from the start, pretty much like he mismanaged almost (the almost is to give him a little credit) everything else.

The only fault I give Howson is not pulling the trigger sooner.

I love this kid and hope he will flourish in the AHL, and be the player that he can be here whenever he returns.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
JacketFanInFL

Great, now we can ruin Lindstrom by making him play with Shelley.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
CapnCornelius

Its about time.

I suspect the hope is that Brule and Brassard will play on the same line together and that will go well. If it does, I think you'll see BOTH of them back in Columbus late in January or early in February playing on the 4th line with Boll to start. Howson does not sound like he's expecting this to be an extended stay for Gilbert--apparently the team thinks this is a mental issue for Brule and not a developmental issue.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
Great, now we can ruin Lindstrom by making him play with Shelley.
I had to laugh at this. Unless Shelley gets pissed at him in practice and fights him (which won't happen) I don't see how putting anyone on a line with Shelley will ruin them. If Lindstrom continues to play well Hitch will reward him.

I understand playing on the fourth line he won't get as many minutes, but I'm sure if he earns them Hitch will give him PP time, and could even juggle the lines (which he seems to do every game anyway) to get him minutes.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Brassard Calder

Also, right now the Dispatch is showing that Lindstrom will be on the first line with Nash and Beech tonight. So, I don't think we have to worry about ruining him...yet

Old
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
JacketFanInFL

Okay so "ruined" was probably a bit harsh be seeing as your handle is ShelleyFan45 you may be a bit biased . The guy puts out effort and sometimes at least participates in fights - I won't go any further to avoid jacking the thread.

Hopefully Brule can regain his stagger in the AHL, but I think we set him back quite a few years - hopefully it's recoverable - He really hasn't been used to anything but success throughout his career. It would be a real attribute to his character if he can snap back into his old self.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
bossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Bossy... We here on this board may not always agree on everything, but you've opened up a can of worms that you can't close...

Brule, by all outlets and from the Preseason, earned a spot on this team... Partly because we hadn't seen Peca play yet and partly because of Novotny and especially, (since he wasn't on the opening night roster) Beech's progression.

As far as team development... The new regime is working hard and it will take time to undone the damage the previous regime did.

Gilbert is better served in the AHL this season. I'd argue they are finally moving towards a model team for player development.
I was commenting on the way Jackets Mgt handled Brule from day one as an 18 year old. MacLean should be ashamed. I agree he needs to go to the AHL now,but he is a product of the Jackets system. They need to look in the mirror on this one.
btw I'm a Giants fan,just so you know my perspective.

bossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

He was a product of the old jackets sytem. I believe this team will now allow its young players enough time to develop instead of forcing them into the lineup too early. That's why we haven't see Brassard and Voracek on this team yet. Unfortnately, he spent his first 2 years under the old regime.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy View Post
I was commenting on the way Jackets Mgt handled Brule from day one as an 18 year old. MacLean should be ashamed. I agree he needs to go to the AHL now,but he is a product of the Jackets system. They need to look in the mirror on this one.
btw I'm a Giants fan,just so you know my perspective.
MacLean is no longer here and part of that was because of his abysmal record of developing talent.

I think its safe to say we all like Brule, he's definitely still a top prospect.

Just to let you know, I wouldn't have attacked your position had you clarified your stance as MacLean and the previous regime as the guilty parties in your original post.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:00 PM
fogducker

will he demand a trade?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:18 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
will he demand a trade?
Why would he do that? Because he's not ready for the NHL?

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Brassard Calder

there was a really good article in the Syracuse newspaper today about Brule. The kid seems to have a real good head on his shoulders and is embracing the demotion.

He admitted that he wishes he would have spent at least part of his rookie season with the Crunch. And is glad that he has the chance to get a lot of playing time.

The rest of the article was basically everything that has been discussed here already--he was told after 8 games or so if he's playing well he will be back, he's sent down to get his confidence and offense going, ect.

I'll see if I can find a link of it on the Post-Standards website if anyone wants to read it.

EDIT--here's a link:
http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard...160.xml&coll=1

Old
01-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

This brings up an interesting question.

What do you do with a player between the ages of 18-20 that is too good for Juniors but not ready for the NHL yet? Unfortunately they aren't allowed to play in the minors at all until their season ends in the junior leagues. is that policy really the best option for player development?

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post

What do you do with a player between the ages of 18-20 that is too good for Juniors but not ready for the NHL yet? Unfortunately they aren't allowed to play in the minors at all until their season ends in the junior leagues. is that policy really the best option for player development?
That rule was put in to avoid having the Canadian Juniors raided by the pro ranks. I would love it if each AHL team could have 1 player under the age of 20 (not counting the US college and Euros that can already play from 18-20). That would allow for what you are talking about with Brule or Voracek - who counts even though he's from Europe, since he plays Canadian Juniors. I don't ever see that happening, as those players are the CHL stars. Otherwise, you mentioned their two options, stay in Juniors or make the NHL squads.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post

I wish NHL teams would do business with European teams (Well Dallas is an affiliate for one FEL team, but it's minimal). Playing in a bigger ice than what you have in North America means more skilled play and it would really help guys like Brule to learn new stuff rather than sitting in the Columbus pressbox.

And on the other hand teams in Europe are looking for players with a cheap price tag which are not yet stars, but can become leaders of the teams. Contracts with foreign players are anyways almost always one year deals because skilled players want to be sure they can move into NHL if they have a great season.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
KayZee13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Your English is actually quite good.
I agree! We should all do so well learning another language!

KayZee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFan45 View Post
there was a really good article in the Syracuse newspaper today about Brule. The kid seems to have a real good head on his shoulders and is embracing the demotion.

He admitted that he wishes he would have spent at least part of his rookie season with the Crunch. And is glad that he has the chance to get a lot of playing time.

The rest of the article was basically everything that has been discussed here already--he was told after 8 games or so if he's playing well he will be back, he's sent down to get his confidence and offense going, ect.

I'll see if I can find a link of it on the Post-Standards website if anyone wants to read it.

EDIT--here's a link:
http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard...160.xml&coll=1
I like his approach to this demotion....it shows some character, but that said, when he does return he will be expected to perform. I'm thinking he will want to stay down until he himself knows he will succeed at the NHL level, he cannot afford to struggle twice.....and he knows it.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Crunch roster moves for the weekend...

Wharton and Plehkanov sent to Elmira for at least the weekend. David Cullen is scheduled to play again, after logging a portion of a game earlier this year before taking a puck to the face and missing the last few weeks. Not looking forward to seeing him again.

Lacosta is working out again, he might be back at least for Elmira soon, and Munro is starting to work out. So hopefully the goalie situation will stabalize soon.

Crunch are at Albany tonight and home for Grand Rapids tomorrow.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

good stuff.. I hope Gilbert lights it up. I was unsure about us sending him back down (not because it wasn't the right move, but I was concerned about the timing and how it might affect him mentally) but now that he's there and is seemingly OK, i REALLY, REALLY want to see him light it up. He AND Brass (and everybody else). Let us know how the next 2 games go!

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:47 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I like his approach to this demotion....it shows some character, but that said, when he does return he will be expected to perform. I'm thinking he will want to stay down until he himself knows he will succeed at the NHL level, he cannot afford to struggle twice.....and he knows it.
I say keep him down all year. Even if he finds his offensive game and gets his confidence back in the next 7 games, it'll still be tough for him to find ice time with the Jackets. He'd have to take a huge step forward to make it to the second line.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
blahblah

I would be surprised to see him back up after his trial period. It'll probably take some time to shake the rust off and there doesn't seem to be an immediate need for his services. Some of our call-ups are playing fairly well.

I'll be really interested to see how this one plays out.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
jore

I'm quite surprised Howson said publicly that Brule will be back after 8 games if he plays well. How good is good enough? If he stays down after the 8 games, what does the "Sorry, you didn't make it" do to his self confidence?

I doubt 8 games is enough to get his confidence back, and it won't change him a lot as a player either. It may be a push to right direction, but now that we're about to get healthy again I'd be happy to see Brule play 20 or so games at Syracuse. Rest of the season if it's needed. Call him up when he's ready to play 13+ minutes a night, not the 5 or 6 mins he's gotten lately.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
black ace

Picked up his first goal today. He has now equaled his NHL total for 31 games.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote