HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The Official MMA Thread - Part IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
  #26
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Let the freak show begin, finally.

I think that Kimbo has this in the bag.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 12:27 PM
  #27
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
You are prob. right on that front, I just want to see Shogun vs. Ortiz more. But I'd love to see Ortiz beat Evans again....I doubt it happens though. Dana is hyping Rashad as a title contender, deep down he knows Tito will beat him if they fight and I doubt he wants Tito getting another shot yet. Just my opinion.
Unfortunately for us, that's likely the case. It's all about playing favourites I guess. Tito should certainly win a fight or two before getting another shot, but it should be against someone coming off a win.

I'm still stunned by the fact that Griffin is getting a title shot.

kurt is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
  #28
Boston Bruno
Registered User
 
Boston Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
You are prob. right on that front, I just want to see Shogun vs. Ortiz more. But I'd love to see Ortiz beat Evans again
(but in a nice way)

Neither guy should have been declared a winner in that fight..



Anyone read/hear anything on the Cro Cop fight? Last I heard he was getting a "deviated septum" repaired in his nose - anyone see rumor for him or any info?
I am pretty sure he has one fight left on his UFC contract. Maybe they are holding him back because they dont want him M-1 ing with Fedor..

Could be another Arvloski/ Vera esk like "hold your last fight to the bitter end"..

Boston Bruno is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
  #29
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
(but in a nice way)

Neither guy should have been declared a winner in that fight..



Anyone read/hear anything on the Cro Cop fight? Last I heard he was getting a "deviated septum" repaired in his nose - anyone see rumor for him or any info?
I am pretty sure he has one fight left on his UFC contract. Maybe they are holding him back because they dont want him M-1 ing with Fedor..

Could be another Arvloski/ Vera esk like "hold your last fight to the bitter end"..
Nah CroCop signed a 6 fight deal with the UFC for 2 years......

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/01/17/mirk...s-very-chatty/


He's got at the very least another year left on the deal. I could see him fighting 2 or 3 times this year. The problem is against who? Sylvia and Nog are locked up, he just lost to Kongo, Gonzaga doesn't make a lot of sense really and neither does Sanchez, he trains with Werdum....

Doesn't leave a whole lot of opponents really, Arlovski (despite reports) could be on his last fight for the UFC, Vera maybe? Herring might make some bit of sense as both are coming off losses and Herring lost to Mirko in Pride......What about Pe De Pano? He's coming off two losses as well. Could be a good fight and one for CroCop to get his groove back..

Oh and yeah Mirko did have surgery to repair a deviated septum, so in theory his cardio should get a bit better.

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
  #30
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Let the freak show begin, finally.

I think that Kimbo has this in the bag.
Agreed. Maybe if this was 10 years ago Tank might have won. But now the guy is just old, washed up and out of shape. Kimbo is going to beat him.

I fully expect Abbott to blow his gas tank and lose the fight by TKO/KO.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 03:05 PM
  #31
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
(but in a nice way)

Neither guy should have been declared a winner in that fight..



Anyone read/hear anything on the Cro Cop fight? Last I heard he was getting a "deviated septum" repaired in his nose - anyone see rumor for him or any info?
I am pretty sure he has one fight left on his UFC contract. Maybe they are holding him back because they dont want him M-1 ing with Fedor..

Could be another Arvloski/ Vera esk like "hold your last fight to the bitter end"..
The last I heard of Cro Cop appeared in a Japanese pro-wrestling promotion called Hustle. Here's the video if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlB4E61cukI

How have the mighty fallen. Mirko needs to get back to fighting in legit competition. I'm thinking the best option for him would be to drop down to 205. He could definitely be a champion at that weight class if he wasn't against cutting the weight.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
  #32
Boston Bruno
Registered User
 
Boston Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
The last I heard of Cro Cop appeared in a Japanese pro-wrestling promotion called Hustle. Here's the video if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlB4E61cukI

How have the mighty fallen. Mirko needs to get back to fighting in legit competition. I'm thinking the best option for him would be to drop down to 205. He could definitely be a champion at that weight class if he wasn't against cutting the weight.
Thanks Chapel! That was pretty interesting. Imagine watching say one of them good old "X + Y tag team vs Z guy and a mystery opponent" and having Cro Cop as your partner. Brilliant move by Hustle. Those fans were going nuts!

Drop down to 205... I dont know if he can. He is always around 220, so it might be possible, but he really doesnt have that extra meat on him to dump. He seems like he is just solid all over.

It would be VERY interesting if he did though..

Liddell Rampage Silva Shogun Soko Griffin Ortiz Evan Cro Cop etc etc etc at 205?

Insane. They could have a top drawing card and never get away from 205..

Thanks for the info, links etc. (u2 LiquidClown)

Boston Bruno is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
  #33
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
Hopefully CC comes back like the CC of old. I prefer to see him at HW, with Randy's departure that division really needs to hold onto all the guys they have in it.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
  #34
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
I saw that vid a couple days ago: looked like real kicks.

Also, Cro Cop looked bigger in the upper body - I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to get bigger.

BigE is offline  
Old
01-05-2008, 01:05 AM
  #35
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Nah CroCop signed a 6 fight deal with the UFC for 2 years......

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/01/17/mirk...s-very-chatty/


He's got at the very least another year left on the deal. I could see him fighting 2 or 3 times this year. The problem is against who? Sylvia and Nog are locked up, he just lost to Kongo, Gonzaga doesn't make a lot of sense really and neither does Sanchez, he trains with Werdum....

Doesn't leave a whole lot of opponents really, Arlovski (despite reports) could be on his last fight for the UFC, Vera maybe? Herring might make some bit of sense as both are coming off losses and Herring lost to Mirko in Pride......What about Pe De Pano? He's coming off two losses as well. Could be a good fight and one for CroCop to get his groove back..

Oh and yeah Mirko did have surgery to repair a deviated septum, so in theory his cardio should get a bit better.
Herring's rumored to be fighting Kongo at UFC 82. Crocop vs Vera has the potential to be a good one, the only problem is you've got two good assets both coming off losses (two in Crocop's case) and one of them is going to get devalued even further with a loss...

Crocop vs Arlovski is the best option IMO, but who knows what's going on with his contract.

And Crocop has no interest in dropping to 205... after the Kongo fight he said he's going to bulk up so the bigger guys at HW (like Kongo) can't just bully him around from the clinch like he did.

HW is definitely short on talent though...

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
01-05-2008, 04:14 AM
  #36
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Herring's rumored to be fighting Kongo at UFC 82. Crocop vs Vera has the potential to be a good one, the only problem is you've got two good assets both coming off losses (two in Crocop's case) and one of them is going to get devalued even further with a loss...

Crocop vs Arlovski is the best option IMO, but who knows what's going on with his contract.

And Crocop has no interest in dropping to 205... after the Kongo fight he said he's going to bulk up so the bigger guys at HW (like Kongo) can't just bully him around from the clinch like he did.

HW is definitely short on talent though...
You know I have to agree with you Arlovski vs CroCop would definitely be a 2nd headliner (err not headliner but fight right before....think Chuck vs Wandy)....I think any true MMA fan would eat it up in a second....I'm not sure about the UFC only crowd though.

Speaking of Arlovski...it's different everyday I hear something...one day it's Arlovski is done with the UFC and Dana doesn't want to give him anyone that will hype him for the next org he goes to....and the next it's Arlovski's "people" saying the exact opposite in that they have an excellent relationship with Dana and the UFC..........who knows....especially after Dana's comments on his las fight (which I agree with).......

I still think the most realistic is (assuming Pe De Pano is still signed) that a CroCop vs Cruz fight would be ideal....both are very quality fighters....CroCop is an excellent striker while Cruz has some good JJ......and both coming off 2 losses it just seems like a match that Joe should put together....

A quick note on the HW division....it's odd less than half a year ago it seemed it was the most stacked division and now it seems one of the lesser divisions again. Couture is gone...and now we have "fan favorite" Sylvia fighting Big Nog who was super unimpressive versus Herring.

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
  #37
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Yeah, it's been a strange turn of events for the HW division. Cro Cop went from being the title incumbent to a fringe contender. There was the possibility of bringing over Fedor. Werdum and Nog had just entered the picture as well as an up and coming Gonzaga...etc. Of course, Couture was looking brilliant.

BigE is offline  
Old
01-05-2008, 01:34 PM
  #38
ZombieMatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,242
vCash: 500
I think part of the problem with the HW division at this moment is there are quite a few things that are unclear.

Several of the top fighters in the division are in limbo. What is happening with CroCop, AA and Vera? Is AA still signed, who is CC fighting and is Vera a HW or a LHW and when is he fighting next?

One thing I am glad to see is they seem to be taking a step back with Kongo. I really enjoy watching him fight, but he needs a lot of seasoning, despite the CC win (a fighter I think was tailor made for him) and I think they're making the right decision by putting him against a guy in Herring who has, frankly, struggled of late. It's a good move that gives Kongo a legit chance of another significant win without putting him in a matchup he's completely incapable of winning (against a wrestler/grappler like Werdum, GG, O'Brien, etc). Hopefully he'll be using this time appropriately to enhance his ground game with Team Punishment.

ZombieMatt is offline  
Old
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
  #39
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Machida vs Ortiz?

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/05/repo...th-tito-ortiz/

Burnaby_Joe* is offline  
Old
01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
  #40
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
More importantly...

Serra confirms fight with St. Pierre in April
http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/05/repo...ges-st-pierre/

I give Serra a little credit. He could have just as easliy prolonged it so he didn't have to fight in GSP's hometown. Too bad he's going to get destroyed . I think I'm going to try and get tickets for UFC 83 now...

MM425 is offline  
Old
01-06-2008, 12:22 AM
  #41
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Yeah Machida has already said he would accept the fight against Ortiz. Now the ball is in Tito's court. Its a very good style match-up, it should be interesting to see Machida tested against a very good wrestler like Ortiz.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
  #42
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
Also i'd like to point out Cro Cop looked very small since signing with UFC especially in his fight against Kongo. Compared to when he fought in PRIDE last he seemed to have lost alot of his muscle and power. If he fights again at HW and loses he should definitely drop to LHW.

If a guy like Liddell or Griffin can cut down to 205 I see no reason Mirko can't. I think he could be a real force at that weight class and if he did drop down IMO it would only be a matter of time until he becomes a champion at 205.


Last edited by QuickDynamite: 01-07-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: It was the Kongo fight actually
QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
  #43
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
Crossing fingers for the Machida/Ortiz bout to be added to the card in Mtl! I'd love to see the Ortiz get right back in the title hunt with a win over Lyoto in person. That's right, Ortiz beats Machida, I really think he is a bad matchup for Lyoto.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
  #44
Boston Bruno
Registered User
 
Boston Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Crossing fingers for the Machida/Ortiz bout to be added to the card in Mtl! I'd love to see the Ortiz get right back in the title hunt with a win over Lyoto in person. That's right, Ortiz beats Machida, I really think he is a bad matchup for Lyoto.
I cannot see Ortiz being used in Canada. Not that I dont want to see it, as he is a draw everywhere - but if they are going to have another UFC in California, I could totally see him 2nding that fight - or even headlining it. Plenty of draw in canada already.. GSP, Macdonald, Goulet..toss in Doeksen maybe a single fight deal for the Crow..

As for Machida v Ortiz.

Machida by KO. Yes, KO. Not because its practical, but just because I want to see Ortiz get KO'ed. Since my new years resolution was to always be right even when wrong, Ortiz is going to get KO'ed.. lol.

I can hear it now.. "Machida has Ortiz's back, Ortiz is in a bad way..Machida sinks in the rear naked..Ortiz is tapping.. Brilliant KO by Machida "

Ortiz to beat Machida? Not in this life time . Machida fights like he did vs Sokodojoumaniaisrunningwild and ortiz doesnt evolve his game, Oritz is going to be Machida's BIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT TTTTCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (or so my anti ortiz lifestyle wishes to dictate)

Boston Bruno is offline  
Old
01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
  #45
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,821
vCash: 500
Just watched some fight re-runs on Spike last night, a few of which I hadn't seen before. One showed Rashad barely eek out a split decision against Hoger, after really doing nothing but pull Hoger to the ground a few times. No impressive strikes, no submission attempts, nothing. It was funny listening to the commentary too, with Goldberg commenting about how he plays it safe and takes things to decisions all the time. Now, they hype the guy as a top 5 fighter.

The other fight was Jardine losing to Bonnar. Another relatively unimpressive contest, from two average fighters.

Aren't we lucky that big names like Evans and Jardine are now used to sell PPV events?


Last edited by kurt: 01-07-2008 at 02:07 PM.
kurt is offline  
Old
01-07-2008, 02:28 PM
  #46
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
I cannot see Ortiz being used in Canada. Not that I dont want to see it, as he is a draw everywhere - but if they are going to have another UFC in California, I could totally see him 2nding that fight - or even headlining it. Plenty of draw in canada already.. GSP, Macdonald, Goulet..toss in Doeksen maybe a single fight deal for the Crow..

As for Machida v Ortiz.

Machida by KO. Yes, KO. Not because its practical, but just because I want to see Ortiz get KO'ed. Since my new years resolution was to always be right even when wrong, Ortiz is going to get KO'ed.. lol.

I can hear it now.. "Machida has Ortiz's back, Ortiz is in a bad way..Machida sinks in the rear naked..Ortiz is tapping.. Brilliant KO by Machida "

Ortiz to beat Machida? Not in this life time . Machida fights like he did vs Sokodojoumaniaisrunningwild and ortiz doesnt evolve his game, Oritz is going to be Machida's BIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT TTTTCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (or so my anti ortiz lifestyle wishes to dictate)

Ortiz by GnP/Decision.....this is assuming that my hunch that Ortiz hasn't been healthy the last few fights and this time off was exactly what he needed. While I won't argue that Machida could end up the victor, I seriously doubt he submits Tito. Tito rarely gets submitted, if Machida wins it will be by a boring decision or by a KO.

Machida did run through Soko, but nobody really knew what Soko could do, we all knew he had one punch KO power, but that is all we knew. That fight showed 2 things, Machida is drastically under-rated by most and Soko is nowhere near the level people thought he was at (def. needs to work on fighting from his back). That being said, the SokoMachine will hold the LHW belt in the UFC down the road, book it.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
01-07-2008, 03:10 PM
  #47
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Just watched some fight re-runs on Spike last night, a few of which I hadn't seen before. One showed Rashad barely eek out a split decision against Hoger, after really doing nothing but pull Hoger to the ground a few times. No impressive strikes, no submission attempts, nothing. It was funny listening to the commentary too, with Goldberg commenting about how he plays it safe and takes things to decisions all the time. Now, they hype the guy as a top 5 fighter.

The other fight was Jardine losing to Bonnar. Another relatively unimpressive contest, from two average fighters.

Aren't we lucky that big names like Evans and Jardine are now used to sell PPV events?
I remember those two fights quite well. Keep in mind how green Evans was at that point. I think that was his first or second fight after winning TUF2. Since then his standup and ability to press the fight got progressively better as he beat Bonnar, Lambert, and culminating when he decapitated Sean Salmon.

What I remember clearest about Jardine/Bonnar was the refs essentially failed to give Jardine any credit for any of his devastating leg kicks, and in turn gave Bonnar one of the worst decisions I've seen since Big Nog/Ricco Rodriguez.

Ensane is offline  
Old
01-07-2008, 04:22 PM
  #48
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I remember those two fights quite well. Keep in mind how green Evans was at that point. I think that was his first or second fight after winning TUF2. Since then his standup and ability to press the fight got progressively better as he beat Bonnar, Lambert, and culminating when he decapitated Sean Salmon.

What I remember clearest about Jardine/Bonnar was the refs essentially failed to give Jardine any credit for any of his devastating leg kicks, and in turn gave Bonnar one of the worst decisions I've seen since Big Nog/Ricco Rodriguez.
True, the Bonnar/Jardine decision was certainly questionable, but it was a very lacklustre fight.

I personally think the decision was also questionable in the Evans fight though. I mean, Evans "scored" more takedowns, but wasn't accomplishing anything. No submission attempts, he didn't really land any strikes while on the ground, and he wasn't even making an effort to pass guard. It was lay and pray at it's finest. I will concede that the decision was consistent with the UFC's trend of giving emphasis to takedowns in terms of scoring, but Evans simply wasn't making anything happen. He was saved by the bell after being in real trouble with a kimura, and was rocked a few times by Hoger during the standup.

kurt is offline  
Old
01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
  #49
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I will concede that the decision was consistent with the UFC's trend of giving emphasis to takedowns in terms of scoring
If fighter A scores more takedowns than fighter B in a fight. They will give the decision to fighter A 99% of the time i've found.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
  #50
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
If fighter A scores more takedowns than fighter B in a fight. They will give the decision to fighter A 99% of the time i've found.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I just take issue with that method, that's all.

kurt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.