HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The Official MMA Thread - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
QuickDynamite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I just take issue with that method, that's all.
I mentioned this earlier as well but I don't think a fighter should get points from the judges for escaping from a submission attempt either. I can understand wrestling takedowns because they are dictating the fight but i'd like to see more of an emphasis on ending the fight with a submission or KO when the fight does go to the ground instead of the actual takedowns.

There's nothing worse than seeing a guy repeatedly taken to the ground and the fighter makes no attempt to finish the fight or pass the other fighters guard.

Old
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
DaaaaB's

I agree with giving points for takedowns when control is maintained for a period of time after especially if he's doing damage but there should be less emphasis on the takedowns if the opponent gets back up right after or the fighter just lies on him.

Old
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
I mentioned this earlier as well but I don't think a fighter should get points from the judges for escaping from a submission attempt either. I can understand wrestling takedowns because they are dictating the fight but i'd like to see more of an emphasis on ending the fight with a submission or KO when the fight does go to the ground instead of the actual takedowns.

There's nothing worse than seeing a guy repeatedly taken to the ground and the fighter makes no attempt to finish the fight or pass the other fighters guard.
Carmello vs Kongo..

Old
01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Thanks Chapel! That was pretty interesting. Imagine watching say one of them good old "X + Y tag team vs Z guy and a mystery opponent" and having Cro Cop as your partner. Brilliant move by Hustle. Those fans were going nuts!

Drop down to 205... I dont know if he can. He is always around 220, so it might be possible, but he really doesnt have that extra meat on him to dump. He seems like he is just solid all over.

It would be VERY interesting if he did though..

Liddell Rampage Silva Shogun Soko Griffin Ortiz Evan Cro Cop etc etc etc at 205?

Insane. They could have a top drawing card and never get away from 205..

Thanks for the info, links etc. (u2 LiquidClown)
True. But its feasible for him to move down a weight class. I don't think cutting 20 lbs is out of the equation for Cro Cop.

I can only salivate at the number of dream matches we will see if Cro Cop moves to the LHW division. All those fights, especially vs. Liddell, Silva, Rampage, and Shogun, have potential FOTY written all over them.

Old
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Thales Leites had to pull out of his fight with Nate Marquardt (again) and has been repalced by Jeremy Horn, woo hoo!

Old
01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Thales Leites had to pull out of his fight with Nate Marquardt (again) and has been repalced by Jeremy Horn, woo hoo!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Old
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Could be worse, it could be Lindland..

Old
01-09-2008, 11:35 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Could be worse, it could be Lindland..
I actually think Horn is worse. At least if you get Lindland you have a viable contender. In Horn you have a mid-level guy who is boring as hell and has the potential to beat many rising contenders and screw up the division without really the ability to actually make a true run at the title.

Old
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis View Post
I actually think Horn is worse. At least if you get Lindland you have a viable contender. In Horn you have a mid-level guy who is boring as hell and has the potential to beat many rising contenders and screw up the division without really the ability to actually make a true run at the title.
And to be fair to Lindland, he's not quite the blanket that people make him out to be. In over 4.5 years he's been to two decisions, one against a heavier Rampage, who is now a world champion, which was a slugfest of a fight; the other against another savvy defensive fighter in Joe Doerksen.

Old
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
And to be fair to Lindland, he's not quite the blanket that people make him out to be. In over 4.5 years he's been to two decisions, one against a heavier Rampage, who is now a world champion, which was a slugfest of a fight; the other against another savvy defensive fighter in Joe Doerksen.
Agreed. I enjoy watching 'The Law' fight. If Silva beats Hendo then I'd love to see Dana and Lindland put their differences aside and sign a contract to fight Silva. Who else at 185 can challenge Silva or Henderson?

Old
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Captain_Cunney

While Horn isn't the most exciting fighter, he is a worldclass fighter none the less. The UFC MW div is easily the weakest div going, they can use all the help they can get. I for one welcome Mr. Horn back to the fold.

Old
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
While Horn isn't the most exciting fighter, he is a worldclass fighter none the less. The UFC MW div is easily the weakest div going, they can use all the help they can get. I for one welcome Mr. Horn back to the fold.
Ya, it beats replacing Leites with someone like Jorge Riveria or Gideon Ray.

Old
01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Ya, it beats replacing Leites with someone like Jorge Riveria or Gideon Ray.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Horn is a forced plan B, and a good choice for a plan B.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

So Parisyan is now rumored to be fighting Thiago Alves at an upcoming UFC, possibly the one in Canada.

Thing is, if he wins and Fitch beats Gono, it doesn't really settle who the #1 contender is to fight the winner of GSP/Serra - though it sounds like they'll give it to Karo based on the shot he was supposed to get way back when.

Still, I kind of hope Alves beats him now after he came out and said he wanted an easier opponent than Fitch before getting his title shot.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post

Thing is, if he wins and Fitch beats Gono, it doesn't really settle who the #1 contender is to fight the winner of GSP/Serra - though it sounds like they'll give it to Karo based on the shot he was supposed to get way back when.

Still, I kind of hope Alves beats him now after he came out and said he wanted an easier opponent than Fitch before getting his title shot.
Glad he is fighting a legit opponent, Karo needs to start finishing fights though.

That Montreal Card is looking sweet so far.

GSp vs Serra
Parysian vs Alves
Shogun is rumoured to be on the card as well
Cote
Jason MacDonald

Shogun will get a legit oppenent too I'm thinking.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I keep hearing Shogun vs Ortiz or Machida.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
QuickDynamite

Well I don't think Ortiz is going to fight anytime soon. Isn't he on that Celebrity Apprentice show? Sounds like the Machida/Ortiz fight might not be happening either. I'd like to note I would like to see Thiago Silva fight against ASAP.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Well I don't think Ortiz is going to fight anytime soon. Isn't he on that Celebrity Apprentice show? Sounds like the Machida/Ortiz fight might not be happening either. I'd like to note I would like to see Thiago Silva fight against ASAP.
Filming is already done.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I wish the UFC would allow stomps and kicks to the head. I miss Pride!

Old
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
I wish the UFC would allow stomps and kicks to the head. I miss Pride!
Even "they" aren't doing that anymore.

Old
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
I'd like to note I would like to see Thiago Silva fight against ASAP.
My roommate text'd me while on lunch. He said the rumblings are T Silva/Rashad in May.

That's an intriguing bout.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Has a Montreal UFC been 100% confirmed yet, or still just speculation?

Old
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Filming is already done.
Also, Tito is on record (dont' have a link, sorry boys) as saying he is fighting in April or May and it will be a huge fight. I'm thinking it will def. be Shogun or Machida, either would be a great fight. I have a feeling they'll save Tito for a California show though.

That being said the MTL card is looking sick and there is nothing that is gonna stop me from being in attendance. Also, Franklin vs. Lutter is rumoured to be on that card according to the fight network.

I also had read that Sherk could get his title shot vs. the BJ/JoeDaddy winner, not sure how credible the source is.
http://www.ufcdaily.com/2008/01/11/u...g-in-montreal/

I'll be shocked if we get BJ/Sherk and GSP/Serra along with Shogun.....if we do this could be the best card of the year.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
My roommate text'd me while on lunch. He said the rumblings are T Silva/Rashad in May.

That's an intriguing bout.
Just read that on Sherdog also, I'll go with Thiago to knock Rashad off the mountain top.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post

That being said the MTL card is looking sick and there is nothing that is gonna stop me from being in attendance. Also, Franklin vs. Lutter is rumoured to be on that card according to the fight network.
My lord the fight rumours are coming in fast and furious the past couple of days.

Hopefully the UFC doesn't ignore UFC83 March 8th in England too much. Because right now I'm hearing that Bisping vs Charles McCarthy might be me main event.. yikes. Though considering it is only one week after UFC 82 I'd imagine it will be a Spike show.

Stevenson/Penn vs Sherk will happen in May.

Closed Thread