HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Help get Shane Doan to Calgary

Old
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
*OvechKiN*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Help get Shane Doan to Calgary

This is probably considered a continuation from the last thread, but involving only Calgary and Phoenix.
Maybe fans from both teams can comment and add input?

Basically the question is, what would it take from Calgary to get Shane Doan?

*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by *OvechKiN* View Post
Basically the question is, what would it take from Calgary to get Shane Doan?
Relocation to Phoenix and being re-named the Coyotes?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
*OvechKiN*

I proposed a package involving Lelande Irving, Kris Chucko, Dan Ryder and a Defensemen (Rhett Warrener going to another team, but that wont work now because PHO has a surplus of Dmen).

Another proposal that was suggested by Lunatik was a deal centering Tanguay and Doan. This is fair, but going into the playoffs, I think that Tanguay is waaaay to valuable to lose now since he was BY FAR the best Flames player in last years playoff excluding Kipper.

Basically what I'm saying is that losing Tanguay and gaining Doan is a lateral move that wont help nor cripple the Flames in the playoffs, where having both of them increases their chances a bit.

Old
01-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Simple.

Find out where Phoenix is the weakest, and go from there.

They don't need a goalie, and there's a surplus on D, so that leaves forwards.

And who would Calgary be willing to let go in order to bring Doan in? Another top 6 forward, or some depth and a pick/prospect?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Convince Doan to waive his NMC. That's the first stumbling block - and I don't think this idea gets much farther when his NMC is considered since he loves the Phoenix area and took a hometown discount to sign for 6 years there.

01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *OvechKiN* View Post
I proposed a package involving Lelande Irving, Kris Chucko, Dan Ryder and a Defensemen (Rhett Warrener going to another team, but that wont work now because PHO has a surplus of Dmen).

Another proposal that was suggested by Lunatik was a deal centering Tanguay and Doan. This is fair, but going into the playoffs, I think that Tanguay is waaaay to valuable to lose now since he was BY FAR the best Flames player in last years playoff excluding Kipper.

Basically what I'm saying is that losing Tanguay and gaining Doan is a lateral move that wont help nor cripple the Flames in the playoffs, where having both of them increases their chances a bit.
except since neither are UFAs after this season the Flames can't afford both... the Flames are likely to lose Huselius already because of what it will cost to re-sign Phaneuf... and getting Doan would cost the Flames the cap space to sign Langkow... leaving Lombardi as the only regular center on the team because Yelle & Conroy are also UFAs... why would the Flames put themselves in this situation?... financially it's not possible unless Tanguay, Iginla, Regehr, Kipper, Phaneuf or Aucoin in going the other way... and we all know Kipper, Iggy and Dion aren't going to be moved... and the Flames can't afford to make their defense any thinner without getting blueline help in return... that leaves Tanguay as the only possible salary large enough to be moved... now it would be dependent on Tanguay waiving his NTC (assuming Doan would waive his NMC)... and I don't think Tanguay has a desire to play in Phoenix... there is no chance the Flames will be able to fit Doan under the salary cap

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
he loves the Phoenix area and took a hometown discount to sign for 6 years there.
5 years (link).

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Convince Doan to waive his NMC. That's the first stumbling block - and I don't think this idea gets much farther when his NMC is considered since he loves the Phoenix area and took a hometown discount to sign for 6 years there.
And on top of that you have to convince Phoenix to move him. Doan is the perfect guy to help mold the young players in Phoenix. I really can't see them moving him unless he either asks to be traded, or a team drastically overpays.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Unless Winnipeg gets a team back I don't see Doan going anywhere, he's the only remaining Jet and I'm sure he'll retire with the organization, much like even though the Wild exist now I doubt Modano will be leaving Dallas.

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
5 years (link).
Nice try, but he signed 2 off seasons ago. He has 5 years left, but he signed for 6.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Heist

Calgary doesn't need him, I don't want to think of a Calgary team with Iginla and Doan. It's not fair.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheist View Post
Calgary doesn't need him, I don't want to think of a Calgary team with Iginla and Doan. It's not fair.
haha yeah... it would be great... thats why i'd be willing to move Tanguay for him assuming their NMC/NTC's would be waived... Doan as the 2nd line RW would be the best 1-2 RW punch in the league and reuniting Doan and Langkow would be awesome too... hell if we could deal Tanguay for Doan I would even take a flyer on Nagy near the dealine and have my lines look like this...

Huselius - Conroy - Iginla
Nagy - Langkow - Doan
Nystrom - Lombardi - Nolan
Nilson - Yelle - Primeau
ex. Smith, Godard, Boyd

would be awesome up front

Old
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Don't get me wrong; I'm no more sanguine about this proposal's likelihood of success than you. I was only suggesting in the other thread that rather than toss 15+ different assets into a convoluted five-team swap, as he was doing originally, that he instead make plain his true goal: discussing how to get Shane Doan to Calgary.

At least here, the poster's intent is clear, and responses can focus on why it's so very unlikely. Namely, Doan loves it in Phoenix and has a long-term contract with a NMC; and the club loves him as its captain and would need one hell of a reason to move him, if he had any interest in leaving.

In the other thread, we'd still be debating the merits of the pieces going to and from the Habs... which was immaterial to the OP's thread.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
*OvechKiN*

One of the reasons other teams were involved, was because most of Calgary's salary that is tradable is tied to their defense. Phoenix is one of the teams that don't need anymore expensive defense.
IF Doan was to waive his NMC, I think one of his preferred choices would be Calgary since it was the main place he inquired about before giving up his UFA status.
Anyhow, I am thinking that Langkow may be asking for more money than Sutter wants to pay, therefore I don't think he will be resigned after this years playoffs.
Maybe his negotiating rights will be traded before the deadline to resign your own UFAs in the offseason?
Huselius is the one I hope the Flames do resign since he will command less than Langkow in the open market, and I believe that he is equally as valuable in his own way.
Phaneuf will either be resigned or we will get 4 first round picks from a team.
I think that if the Flames trade Aucoin and Warrener, then they can keep the team together with only Langkow not returning (which is a big loss).
The defense may be thin, but with a top 6 that would dominate in puck possession, it may be a good trade off, since the Flames top 4 looks like this right now anyways:
Regehr-Sarich
Phaneuf-Eriksson
Losing Warrener and Aucoin will free up 6.4M in cap space.
I think it would be worth it for a top 9 of:

Tanguay - Lombardi - Doan
Nystrom - Boyd - Nolan
(Assuming Conroy and Nolan resign for cheaper)
All 3 lines can score and play defense. Keenan has been known to give the 4th line and the bottom D pairing limited minutes as well.

Yes the Flames won't be that deep on D, but it might be worth the trade off.
They will need to find another team that needs D and has something the Coyotes would want though.

Old
01-02-2008, 01:13 AM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLeprechaun View Post
Nice try, but he signed 2 off seasons ago. He has 5 years left, but he signed for 6.

Hmm thats funny. Becauce Barney signed him LAST season(06-07) right at the end of the season to a 5 year extension.

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
haha yeah... it would be great... thats why i'd be willing to move Tanguay for him assuming their NMC/NTC's would be waived... Doan as the 2nd line RW would be the best 1-2 RW punch in the league and reuniting Doan and Langkow would be awesome too... hell if we could deal Tanguay for Doan I would even take a flyer on Nagy near the dealine and have my lines look like this...

Nagy - Langkow - Doan
Nystrom - Lombardi - Nolan
Nilson - Yelle - Primeau
ex. Smith, Godard, Boyd

would be awesome up front
This is not a slight against you, but did you see the Nagy - Langkow - Doan line when they played together in Phoenix? Absolutely zero chemistry, and that is why Mike Johnson was tried in that slot with far more success. I wouldn't be holding out for a reunion of that line if I was a fan of Calgary.

This deal has no legs whatsoever, but for it to happen and make any sense at all, the Flames would have to be sending back a top line scoring forward and some serious payroll so that the Coyotes can maintain the head above the low water threshold of the cap. Tanguay for Doan is a good starting point, but it's a dead end for both sides as it's lateral and neither is going to convince the players to make the move for kicks. On top of that, Doan is the captain and face of this franchise at this time, so the Coyotes would need some sweetener in the deal to make this happen and it would just unbalance the deal too much in Phoenix's favor.

To get the deal done you'd have to see some quality picks or prospects coming from Calgary as part of the deal, to coincide with the youth movement that Maloney is building towards. Again, Maloney wouldn't be looking to unload any picks or prospects of value either, so another dead end.

Doan to Calgary was one of the strong possibilities that I could have seen last Spring before he signed the extension in Phoenix. Doan has continually talked about his good friendship with Iginla and if there was one team he could hand pick I am certain it would be the Flames at this time. Calgary is in no position to pick up a player at $5 million a year for the next several years at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_tiger View Post
Hmm thats funny. Becauce Barney signed him LAST season(06-07) right at the end of the season to a 5 year extension.
You are correct, it was a 5 year extension, so he's currently in year one of that contract.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_tiger View Post
Really? Damn, I could of sworn it was 2 years ago. Ah well, my mistake.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Ender

Send a message via AIM to Ender Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
I like Doan, if he was moved (and he won't be) he'd deserve better.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 02:44 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

www.expedia.ca

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:29 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
So let me get this straight, having the games premier power forward isn't enough for Flames fans? Lets figure out how to get Ovechkin and cole there too. It'll be power forward CENTRAL. They'll rename the team the Calgary GRITTY SCORING WINGERS

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
AlMo

Dutin Boyd and Matthew Lombardi would be a starting point for me. Honestly though, I don't think the Flames and Yotes are good trading partners.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't think the Coyotes have any interest in trading Shane Doan. They certainly don't have any need to. So, in order to get some interest out of the Coyotes, a team would have to offer quite a package.

Also, take a look at the standings. Things are so close, right now. How many teams will be sellers at the deadline? How many marquee players will be available? If Doan is one of a very limited number of attractive options for buyers at the deadline, I would think that would raise his value considerably. If your consolation prize for losing a Doan sweepstakes is a 10 goal banger past his prime, you might put in a higher bid for your first choice.

Further, look at what Smyth got as a rental at last year's deadline. Smyth and Doan are fairly comparable. Except Edmonton wanted to trade Smyth, and Smyth was a soon to be UFA rental player. Doan, on the other hand, has four more years left on a darn good deal. I'd say Doan's value at this deadline should be considerably higher than Smyth's was at last year's.

Finally, his NMC could also potentially affect his value. If he's only willing to waive it to go to a team in the Northwest, than we could see a bidding war take place. Teams would not only be making offers to acquire Doan, but also to prevent him from going to a division rival, and remaining there for the next half decade. I mean, Calgary may want him, but so could Vancouver or Minnesota. How much more would the Flames pay to get him to Calgary, if they knew losing the auction meant him heading to BC? The Canucks would be mighty strong in the post season, with Doan riding the Sedins' wing. Would the Flames want to have to face that, this post season? Then, eight times next regular season? Then, possibly again in the playoffs next post season? So on and so forth for the next half decade.

In the end, I guess what I'm saying is that if Shane Doan is traded, I'm expecting that a lot of people around here will be quite suprised by just how high his value really is. If the Flames want him, they had better offer quite a bit.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't think the Coyotes have any interest in trading Shane Doan. They certainly don't have any need to. So, in order to get some interest out of the Coyotes, a team would have to offer quite a package.

Also, take a look at the standings. Things are so close, right now. How many teams will be sellers at the deadline? How many marquee players will be available? If Doan is one of a very limited number of attractive options for buyers at the deadline, I would think that would raise his value considerably. If your consolation prize for losing a Doan sweepstakes is a 10 goal banger past his prime, you might put in a higher bid for your first choice.

Further, look at what Smyth got as a rental at last year's deadline. Smyth and Doan are fairly comparable. Except Edmonton wanted to trade Smyth, and Smyth was a soon to be UFA rental player. Doan, on the other hand, has four more years left on a darn good deal. I'd say Doan's value at this deadline should be considerably higher than Smyth's was at last year's.

Finally, his NMC could also potentially affect his value. If he's only willing to waive it to go to a team in the Northwest, than we could see a bidding war take place. Teams would not only be making offers to acquire Doan, but also to prevent him from going to a division rival, and remaining there for the next half decade. I mean, Calgary may want him, but so could Vancouver or Minnesota. How much more would the Flames pay to get him to Calgary, if they knew losing the auction meant him heading to BC? The Canucks would be mighty strong in the post season, with Doan riding the Sedins' wing. Would the Flames want to have to face that, this post season? Then, eight times next regular season? Then, possibly again in the playoffs next post season? So on and so forth for the next half decade.

In the end, I guess what I'm saying is that if Shane Doan is traded, I'm expecting that a lot of people around here will be quite suprised by just how high his value really is. If the Flames want him, they had better offer quite a bit.
I agree that Doan won't be traded... but for the sake of this thread what would you think of a deal centered around Doan and Tanguay? I know Doan has a NMC (and Tanguay has a NTC)... but just for fun... would that be a good starting point for teams to expand on?

in the 5way trade thread i suggested Doan & Boynton for Tanguay, Warrener and a conditional 2nd in 2010 (if Tanguay doesn't extend)

what do you think from a coyotes standpoint?

Old
01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Resolute

There really is no reason at all why Tanguay would waive his NTC to go to Phoenix, so that really is a dead proposal.

And, honestly, Doan signed a six year extension with an NMC to stay in Phoenix, he isn't going anywhere either.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
There really is no reason at all why Tanguay would waive his NTC to go to Phoenix, so that really is a dead proposal.

And, honestly, Doan signed a six year extension with an NMC to stay in Phoenix, he isn't going anywhere either.
its for fun and the sake of conversation... 99% of the suggested deals on here would never happen anyways