HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets @ Anaheim Ducks 10pm EST 1-2-08

Old
01-03-2008, 12:18 AM
nationwiderules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
My take from the cheap seats...

I don't want to hear the Hainsey carping. He also saved a couple goals at points when the rest of our defense was collapsing like scared children. LeClaire can't complain too much as he's lucky that he didn't give up a couple goals due to his own poor positioning. Not Hejda's best night and Klesla was getting muscled around.

Giguere was hardly stellar and yet we couldn't seem to put the puck in an empty net on more than one occassion.

Murray was the only guy who played all 3 periods.

Can someone tell me if Rick Nash was a healthy scratch? Didn't see him the whole night.

The Ducks got physical in the 3rd...and we backed down. After dominating most of the 2nd period, they got a fluke goal and we let them walk away without much of a fight in the third.

On to LA. If we manage to lose to the Kings, this could be a very, very bad road trip.

In the interest of saying something vaguely positive, the power play looks a bit more competent. If only they could find the back of the net.

I agree with you 100%

and no Rick Nash was in the line up, but i heard his name a couple times, but not alot, and like i said the jackets scoreing is rick nash and the ducks did very well to stop the nash & zherdev.

nationwiderules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:19 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
I noticed Nash all over the TV broadcast, he had Neids or Pronger all over him when he took a shift.

Hainsey sucked, he was the reason for the 2nd goal (nothing else really matters).
If Rick Nash can't handle playing against the elite defensemen of the league, time to call it a career. If you're "the franchise" that'd better be what you expect and you'd better play up for it.

And, actually, something else does matter. Don't expect to score 1 goal and win a game in the NHL. Period.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
nationwiderules

Quote:
I noticed Nash all over the TV broadcast, he had Neids or Pronger all over him when he took a shift.

Hainsey sucked, he was the reason for the 2nd goal (nothing else really matters).
well stuff like that happens in hockey you get a bad goal here and there but you cant just judge hainsey from that play, if you watched the whole game he about 5 blocked shots and great defensive plays and if it wasnt for him doing all of that the ducks might have had alot more goals in that game!!!

Old
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationwiderules View Post
well stuff like that happens in hockey you get a bad goal here and there but you cant just judge hainsey from that play, if you watched the whole game he about 5 blocked shots and great defensive plays and if it wasnt for him doing all of that the ducks might have had alot more goals in that game!!!
He clearly doesn't. Because he apparently saw nash the whole game and noticed no problems with him tonight, but only saw Ron on the ice once tonight and from that perspective, ron clearly sucked more than anyone ever has in the history of professional hockey.

/sarcasm

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Am I the only one who notices that certain posters on this board only choose to reply when someone they clearly have a personal vendetta against makes a play they can judge.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:34 AM
nationwiderules

oh no sorry my bad ron hainsey had 22 minutes and 41 seconds of ice time tonight, he also was a +1, had 4 shoots on goal, and Blocked 3 shots, which some okay numbers but i wouldnt say he really did bad tonight he only had that 1 time were it hit his glove and went in his own net but thats about it!!!!

Old
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Am I the only one who notices that certain posters on this board only choose to reply when someone they clearly have a personal vendetta against makes a play they can judge.
No it's not just you.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:51 AM
DrJ

First goal was offside. puck hit Getzlaf inside the zone offside, fell in front of him and left him a breakaway. Totally blown call

DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:08 AM
nationwiderules

that actually might have been off side but i think it hit the jackets player first before bounceing off of getzlaf, but yea i never really thought much of that i will have to check the vids, cause u r probably right.

Old
01-03-2008, 01:08 AM
DrJ

Hainsey is playing a lot right now after his healthy scratch but he's no powerplay quarterback. He only shoots and unfortunately rarely makes a creative play or pass to open up other players. I suspect he is told to do this but he is very predictable as is Westcott and why do they always position themselves with their sticks towards the boards rather than flipping the dmen so they have a better angle to shoot. Mr. Agnew must recognize that one timers from the off wing are much easier to create if the right shooting dman is on the left side and viceversa. The forwards struggle to get to the front of the net but rarely do the dmen wait for them to get there or even shoot the puck to a position to allow for a deflection. I wonder how much practice time is spent on hard passes/shots to sticks for deflections. Surely these guys watch the Sedin twins in Vancouver create their magic with slap passes and redirections that end up in the net. Not that difficult a skill to learn.

Old
01-03-2008, 01:29 AM
DrJ

Why no Nash on the PP. Only had 228 out of possible 12 minutes on the PP. Should he not be out there at least half the time as he is their greatest threat on the PP. Put him on the weak side for one timers and have Zerdev run the PP from the strong side boards.
Let Beech or Novotny stand in front of the goaltender. Use Federov on the point with Hainsey or Westcott as he's skilled enough to find sticks in front of the net for deflections.
Not sure Hainsey or Westcott can find the deflections.

Old
01-03-2008, 02:21 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
First goal was a High Sticking penalty. Zherdev was hit by Getzlaf inside the zone, Zherdev stopped skating and put his hands to his face, whichleft him a breakaway. Totally blown call
Fixed.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Handyy

Quote:
They also are always all over the opponent's top players, no matter who are they playing against.

Well, about the game tonight. We lost because of the same thing we usually lose. Coaching has made this team really defensive based, which leads to a low-scoring games but if we allow 2 goals, we usually lose because offense doesn't really know what to do. There seems to be very limited offensive strategy involved (have we only practiced defence?), we just go and try to make something happen; example Zherdev tries to go coast to coast but Anaheim defence forces him to dump the puck in while other forwards don't really know how to play that situation. Result, we lose the puck.

Fedorov was the best forward for us today. It was nice to see Murray score, but we sure need our top players to get more scoring chances game in game out. Ducks weren't playing their best game, so we should have been able to get more pressure for them.

For now, we have league leading goaltending and great defence but it might be also related to the fact that offense is not capable of doing it's job. We need to do something about it and try to open the game more. Otherwise our wins happen only when Nash or Zherdev have great nights.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFan45 View Post
Even putting Boll on the PP to just stand in front of the net and screen the goalie wouldn't be a bad idea. Anyone that's big. We've improved on getting shots from the point through and on net. Now lets get more traffic in front of the net, and maybe we'll get more deflections for goals or it could open up Novotny for more "garbage" goals on rebounds crashing the net.
Not a bad idea in theory, but you can't just put any big guy in front of the net, he has to have hands. Otherwise you could put Jody in front of the net and have him hack away at rebounds.

I'm hoping that this aspect of our game will improve with the return of Modin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Hainsey is playing a lot right now after his healthy scratch but he's no powerplay quarterback. He only shoots and unfortunately rarely makes a creative play or pass to open up other players. I suspect he is told to do this but he is very predictable as is Westcott and why do they always position themselves with their sticks towards the boards rather than flipping the dmen so they have a better angle to shoot. Mr. Agnew must recognize that one timers from the off wing are much easier to create if the right shooting dman is on the left side and viceversa. The forwards struggle to get to the front of the net but rarely do the dmen wait for them to get there or even shoot the puck to a position to allow for a deflection. I wonder how much practice time is spent on hard passes/shots to sticks for deflections. Surely these guys watch the Sedin twins in Vancouver create their magic with slap passes and redirections that end up in the net. Not that difficult a skill to learn.
Putting our players on their off-wing would be a great start!

There are so many things a team can do on the powerplay, but our players lack the creativity to make them happen.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 07:28 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Good point.

I've never understood how you could hate a guy on our team.
There have been players who weren't my favorites, but hate?

Personally, I reserve my vendetta comments for certain posters (kallio, angrybob)

Last night's game could be the start of a nasty month, which will undoubtedly please the Jacket haters and loathers.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Quote:
If Rick Nash can't handle playing against the elite defensemen of the league, time to call it a career. If you're "the franchise" that'd better be what you expect and you'd better play up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
They also are always all over the opponent's top players, no matter who are they playing against.
But other top players have help. I'm pretty sure Nasg expected what he'd face this year, and I'm pretty sure he willingly shouldered the load, because his team had no other choice, no other options. Someday, maybe, we'll know how good Rick Nash is.

Old
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

And, actually, something else does matter. Don't expect to score 1 goal and win a game in the NHL. Period.
And we have a winner...

Losing 1-0 and 2-1 has been this teamís MO for a couple of years now. The defense and goaltending have shown up more often than not, including last night.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:42 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I don't want to hear the Hainsey carping. He also saved a couple goals at points when the rest of our defense was collapsing like scared children.
lol, lord forbid anyone say anthing bad about your precious Hainsey. He's been better of late, last night was not one of those games. I don't know what the hell is was doing on that goal. He probably has no clue what he was thinking. Beyond the first PP, he was average, at best. He wasn't the reason we lost, but he can't make plays like that if we expect to win on the road. Was he our biggest problem? No. But he made one of the most obvious blunders. From the slow motion, with all the flopping around he did, he looked like he just had to move his chest over about 6 inches and problem solved.

Moving off the quote.

We didn't match their intensity from the mid 2nd on. We went from winning most of the battles to losing more then we won. They wanted the game more. Our best players weren't out best players. Nash and Zherdev got shut down for the most part. Leclaire was human, but wasn't at fault for either goal. He got lucky a couple more didn't go in, but he made some good saves too.

Not a good start to the road trip, we better show more then that. I'm surprised we didn't show more, the team knows this is month is, basically, the season. If we can't get our road record up to .500, we're pretty much done.

0-1 to start my "big six" this month.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I've never understood how you could hate a guy on our team.
Kristof Oliwa.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Nordique

Quote:

Well thats life on the road...last change and all that jazz. Pronger is +153 career for a reason.

Teams that do well on the road do so with their PP, as it allows you to get out of the other teams 5-5 game plan and their ability to shut down your top line. Our PP needs some work.

This could be a rough month.

As for Hainsey, defense is funny. 90% of the great plays you make, noone ever notices or appreciates except the coach and your teammates. But the mistakes you make, typically create scoring chances or result in goals, so you are front and center. Sometimes I think Hainsey is a scapegoat for all of our defensive woes.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Nordique

Quote:

I would go so far as to say there are posters who want certain players to make mistakes so they can run to the board and say "I told you so, player XXX sucks."

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Macster

Is Cammalerri healthy for the Kings tonight I wonder?

Even without him I'm a little worried about their firepower. They put up a 9 spot the other night.

Brown, Kopitar and Nagy need to be shut down.

If those guys had a goalie I think they could do serious damage.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Losing 1-0 and 2-1 has been this teamís MO for a couple of years now.
It's been the case several times this year. Minnesota, Anaheim, Boston....

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
But other top players have help. I'm pretty sure Nasg expected what he'd face this year, and I'm pretty sure he willingly shouldered the load, because his team had no other choice, no other options. Someday, maybe, we'll know how good Rick Nash is.
Actually we do know how good Nash is, just not here in Columbus. Watch last year's All-Star game and the World Championship. With a good supporting cast, he tore it up. If he plays in this year's All-Star game, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big performance from him.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
JacketFanInFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemhuff View Post
Actually we do know how good Nash is, just not here in Columbus. Watch last year's All-Star game and the World Championship. With a good supporting cast, he tore it up. If he plays in this year's All-Star game, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big performance from him.
It's not even that. Nash got off his game last night of parking within 5 feet of the net and tried the whole puck handling thing again last night. That's not his game. Look at the other night, Both goals came off of rebounds and I'd be willing to bet 95% of his career goals have been the same. He's really really good (around the net) - He just needs to play his game.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote