HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets UFAs and RFAs

Old
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Blue Jackets UFAs and RFAs

This was beginning to be discussed in the Crunch thread, but I thought it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to the Jackets' unrestricted and restricted free agents heading into this offseason. Looks like Howson will have plenty to keep him busy between now and then. Here is the breakdown, with this year's salary:

UFAs (Group III)
Sergei Fedorov ($6,080,000)
Adam Foote ($4,600,000)
David Vyborny ($2,200,000)
Michael Peca ($1,315,000)
Jason Chimera ($1,000,000)
Jan Hejda ($1,000,000)
Ron Hainsey ($900,000)
Jody Shelley ($650,000)
Kris Beech ($585,000)
Zenon Konopka ($500,000)
Derek Mackenzie ($500,000)
Dan Smith ($500,000)

UFAs (Group VI)
Andrew Murray ($475,000)

RFAs (Group II)
Pascal Leclaire ($1,400,000)
Alexandre Picard ($984,200)
Dan Fritsche ($750,000)
Darcy Campbell ($635,000)
Clay Wilson ($585,000)
Joakim Lindstrom ($525,000)
Curtis Glencross ($522,500)
Tomas Popperle ($500,000)
Aaron Rome ($495,000)
Phillippe Dupuis ($475,000)
Marc Methot ($475,000)

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
jacketsgeek
What's that sound?

Not OT but, could someone provide some details re: UFA and RFA.
I kinda get that UFAs are completly fair game at the end of their contract but, don't quite get the whole process for RFAs and the Group designations.

If there's a good link to read, I'll be happy with that.

Thanks

jacketsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Group II (restricted)

The most restrictive of all groups. Should a Group II free agent sign an offer sheet from another team, the team that owns his rights has the option of matching the offer or receiving compensation in the form of draft picks from the new team. Draft choice compensation is based on the amount offered by the new club. Original clubs must tender a qualifying offer, a minimum amount based on the player's previous salary, to qualify for matching rights and compensation.

Group III (unrestricted)
The most liberal of all groups. A Group III free agent is unrestricted and may sign with any team.

Group V (player's choice)
The most rare of all the groups. A Group V free agent is, in essence, a player with the option of electing Group II status or unrestricted free agency. Historically, players have opted for unrestricted free agency.

If a team makes a qualifying offer, the player has until July 15 to elect unrestricted free agency. If the player chooses not to become an unrestricted free agent, the team which owns his rights will have the option of matching an offer from a new team or draft-pick compensation as it applies to Group II free agents. If a team does not make a qualifying offer, the player is moved to the unrestricted list.

Group VI (unrestricted)
As liberal as Group III, with different qualifications. A Group VI free agent is unrestricted and may sign with any team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...e=04freeagency

Some of these rules have changed a tad with the new CBA, but the general idea is still the same. Here are some of the changes from the new CBA:

Unrestricted Free Agents

Unrestricted free agents will get younger. The minimum age at which a player can shop himself on the open market will drop through the first four years of the agreement:
- In 2005, 31 years old.
- In 2006, 29 years old or eight years of NHL service.
- In 2007, 28 years old or seven years of NHL service.
- In 2008, 27 years old or seven years in the NHL. The 2008 benchmark remains in place for the life of the agreement.
Under the old system, players did not qualify for the open market until the age of 31.

Teams losing unrestricted free agents do not receive extra draft picks as compensation.

In the previous agreement, compensatory draft picks were awarded, with the position of a pick based on the size of the player's new contract.

Restricted Free Agents

Players who are no longer consider "entry-level" but do not qualify as unrestricted free agents become restricted free agents when their contracts expire.

A team must extend a "qualifying offer" to its restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Players making less than $660,000 must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent. Under the previous deal, qualifying offers had to be at least 100 percent of the previous year's salary, with 10 percent raises due to many players.

Restricted free agents must sign NHL contracts by December 1, or they are not eligible to play for the rest of the season.

Both teams and players have the right to ask for salary arbitration as a mechanism to settle contract disputes. A team can take a player to arbitration once in his career, and cannot ask for a salary reduction greater than 15 percent. Players can ask for salary arbitration as often as they want. Only players had the right to request salary arbitration under the old CBA.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/the...cap_expl_2.htm

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Macster

UFAs (Group III)
- Unless we're out of it by the end of February, we keep him as a CBJ until his contract expires. I highly doubt we'd re-sign him, as I think we'll be looking at Novotny taking over Feds job full time as defensive-minded tier-2 pivot.

Adam Foote ($4,600,000)
- I think you'll see Howie re-sign him to a 1-2 year deal, likely at 3ish mil/per

- I would love to see Vybes back, as I've said a million times before, as a sort of mentor for Jake next year. Also for his secondary scoring. However, I am changing my mind a bit because it's becoming more and more apparent that he's not a "Hitch guy". Voracek will be his replacement next season.

- A lot will depend on whether or not we see Peca back. We knew going on we weren't going to get a full season out of him, but this has been ridiculous. When he's in the lineup, there is an obvious veteran swagger with the team, when he's out there is just too much youth amongst the forward core. If Manny wasn't under contract for next season, I'd say definitely re-sing Peca to be our checking centre.

- I think Chimmer is a necessary re-sign. His personality and forechecking ability are enough for me. Put him with Jake and Brass.

Jan Hejda ($1,000,000)
- A no-brainer. Give him a long term deal. He's becoming an anchor back there for us.

Ron Hainsey ($900,000)
- Another no-brainer. Get this guy locked up. His play, combined with a Russell breakout, make me excited about our blueline offensive contribution next season.

Jody Shelley ($650,000)
- Hard to say. Hitch loves him. He'll play the 13th forward role no questions asked. I don't think whether or not he's re-signed will have any major impact on next season.

Kris Beech ($585,000)
- As well as he's playing, I can see him being let go, or brought back in a similar capacity to this season: to add competition and depth to the centres. If we are able to sign a big fish up front, i think Beech will definitely walk. Big fish - Novotny - Peca/Malholtra as 1-2-3 centres.

Zenon Konopka ($500,000)
- We need him to be the Crunch captain again next year. The guy is just perfect for the AHL, and can really help with some of our young forwards.

- Typical depth guy. Personally i say let him walk and go after a guy like Darren Haydar or Jason Krog, both FAs in Atlanta who have been proven snipers in the AHL.

Dan Smith ($500,000)
- Same as MacKenzie, he's a dime a dozen depth guy. Either him or somebody like him as depth players.

UFAs (Group VI)
Andrew Murray ($475,000)
- Will likely get re-signed to continue doing the job he is now- depth.

RFAs (Group II)
Dan Fritsche ($750,000)
Clay Wilson ($585,000)
Aaron Rome ($495,000)
Marc Methot ($475,000)

I think you'll see every one of these guys tendered. The only question mark would be Pops, as I said in the affiliate thread, his injury is a major concern.

This is what I could see happening:

Nash - Beech - Modin
Chimera - Novotny - Zherdev
Voracek - Malholtra - Brule
Glencross - Fritsche - Boll
Shelley

This is what I want to see happening:

Nash - Big Fish - Zherdev
Modin - Brassard - Voracek
Chimera - Peca - Brule
Novotny - Fritsche - Boll
Shelley

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
we have like 9 million cap room already, if we don't sign, that'll be a big...big cap space...

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 08:08 PM
OUJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
UFAs (Group III)
- Unless we're out of it by the end of February, we keep him as a CBJ until his contract expires. I highly doubt we'd re-sign him, as I think we'll be looking at Novotny taking over Feds job full time as defensive-minded tier-2 pivot.

Adam Foote ($4,600,000)
- I think you'll see Howie re-sign him to a 1-2 year deal, likely at 3ish mil/per

- I would love to see Vybes back, as I've said a million times before, as a sort of mentor for Jake next year. Also for his secondary scoring. However, I am changing my mind a bit because it's becoming more and more apparent that he's not a "Hitch guy". Voracek will be his replacement next season.

- A lot will depend on whether or not we see Peca back. We knew going on we weren't going to get a full season out of him, but this has been ridiculous. When he's in the lineup, there is an obvious veteran swagger with the team, when he's out there is just too much youth amongst the forward core. If Manny wasn't under contract for next season, I'd say definitely re-sing Peca to be our checking centre.

- I think Chimmer is a necessary re-sign. His personality and forechecking ability are enough for me. Put him with Jake and Brass.

Jan Hejda ($1,000,000)
- A no-brainer. Give him a long term deal. He's becoming an anchor back there for us.

Ron Hainsey ($900,000)
- Another no-brainer. Get this guy locked up. His play, combined with a Russell breakout, make me excited about our blueline offensive contribution next season.

Jody Shelley ($650,000)
- Hard to say. Hitch loves him. He'll play the 13th forward role no questions asked. I don't think whether or not he's re-signed will have any major impact on next season.

Kris Beech ($585,000)
- As well as he's playing, I can see him being let go, or brought back in a similar capacity to this season: to add competition and depth to the centres. If we are able to sign a big fish up front, i think Beech will definitely walk. Big fish - Novotny - Peca/Malholtra as 1-2-3 centres.

Zenon Konopka ($500,000)
- We need him to be the Crunch captain again next year. The guy is just perfect for the AHL, and can really help with some of our young forwards.

- Typical depth guy. Personally i say let him walk and go after a guy like Darren Haydar or Jason Krog, both FAs in Atlanta who have been proven snipers in the AHL.

Dan Smith ($500,000)
- Same as MacKenzie, he's a dime a dozen depth guy. Either him or somebody like him as depth players.

UFAs (Group VI)
Andrew Murray ($475,000)
- Will likely get re-signed to continue doing the job he is now- depth.

RFAs (Group II)
Dan Fritsche ($750,000)
Clay Wilson ($585,000)
Aaron Rome ($495,000)
Marc Methot ($475,000)

I think you'll see every one of these guys tendered. The only question mark would be Pops, as I said in the affiliate thread, his injury is a major concern.

This is what I could see happening:

Nash - Beech - Modin
Chimera - Novotny - Zherdev
Voracek - Malholtra - Brule
Glencross - Fritsche - Boll
Shelley

This is what I want to see happening:

Nash - Big Fish - Zherdev
Modin - Brassard - Voracek
Chimera - Peca - Brule
Novotny - Fritsche - Boll
Shelley

I agree with this post, and I do think based on Hitch's statement that "David Vyborny has nothing to worry about come contract talks," he'll be back in some capacity next season.

One thing I don't see happening is Novotny being dropped like a boulder in the lineup. He's broken out big time thus far, and if Modin comes back healthy and ready to go, it's a safe bet we'll see him and Nash together. Hopefully, with the big fish you speak of.

A line of Voracek-Novotny-Vyborny is intriguing. The old "Czech Mate" line had success, and with a much more talented trio than before, it's enticing. I don't see Hitch moving Novotny from the middle anytime soon unless he completely implodes.

Brassard in the NHL next season is still up in the air to me. I love the kid's game, but I'm not completely sold on his size yet, and his willingess to go into the dirty areas to make plays and score. Howson mentioned something earlier this year about Brass' game being mostly "on the perimeters," and added that it's something he needs to change if he wants a stint with the big club.

Here's hoping they re-sign Peca. With the balance of the season still out there, I think his body will slowly come around, and with a another offseason of conditioning, he should shake his "damaged goods" label. We're a better team with Mike Peca, and there aren't many out there.

The only RFA I can see not being tendered is Campbell. He just doesn't seem capable in the NHL, especially on a team trying to form the identity it wants. I've seen him play some games for the Crunch, and a game (or two?) with the Jackets last season, and Kris Russell plays a heavier game, and makes better decisions with the puck.

Popperle...eh, maybe. I can see them letting him walk and bringing in Mase and LaCosta, but what do I know.

Like you said, Howson will be getting his hands dirty here real soon! Can't wait.

OUJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

I guess I've returned to my old Fritsche-bashing ways, but I don't see much lost if he's not tendered. Especially if Chimera is re-signed. Not enough secondary scoring and seems to have topped out in that department.

Glencross & Methot will be upped for sure, I'd think. Vybes and Foote coming back? OK. Peca? Not so much. Beech? Could be. Hedja. Without question. Hainsey? Almost without question. Jody? Only if he's not taking someone else's spot or potential spot. Depth guys? Gotta come from somewhere.

Macster - Not enough turnover on your roster projections, esp. FA-wise. Need a forward and a d-man. I know, I know. Where will they play, does the team have enough roster spots? They'd better. Organ-eye-zation has taken great steps to improve its depth, and this season is proof. However, upper-end talent needs a boost.

C
FA
Brass
Novotny
Manny
(Beech)

LW
Nash
Modin
Chimera
Glencross
(Lindstrom/Pineault?)

RW
Z
Voracek
Vybes
Boll
(Brule)

D
Klesla
Hainsey
FA
Hedja
Russell
Methot/Westcott
Foote/OKT (if Adam's gonna be re-signed, then team should look to move Ollie this season)

Old
01-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Aging Goalie

UFAs (Group III)
Sergei Fedorov ($6,080,000) No offer. I think he wants to end in Detroit
Adam Foote ($4,600,000) If we can get him for less than current contract
David Vyborny ($2,200,000) One off season does not a bad choice for risigning make
Michael Peca ($1,315,000) I would resign him with similiar incentive laden deal
Jason Chimera ($1,000,000) Torn on him right now
Jan Hejda ($1,000,000) Duh!
Ron Hainsey ($900,000) Could continue to develop
Jody Shelley ($650,000) sorry Jody it is time to retire
Kris Beech ($585,000) Can't beat the $
Zenon Konopka ($500,000) For the Crunch
Derek Mackenzie ($500,000) For the Crunch
Dan Smith ($500,000) Crunchie contract if any

UFAs (Group VI)
Andrew Murray ($475,000) Good depth

RFAs (Group II)
Pascal Leclaire ($1,400,000)\
Alexandre Picard ($984,200) \
Dan Fritsche ($750,000) \
Darcy Campbell ($635,000) \_____No problems with resign of any of these for right $$
Clay Wilson ($585,000) / Edit: except Popperle. With his knee injury and Mason emerging why
Joakim Lindstrom ($525,000) / take the chance
Curtis Glencross ($522,500) /
Tomas Popperle ($500,000) /
Aaron Rome ($495,000) /
Phillippe Dupuis ($475,000)/
Marc Methot ($475,000) /

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

As long as the injury heals, you'll see Pops resigned for one or two years, more for depth than anything. Go into the season with Mason as the Crunch starter and Pops the backup. It's too early to give up on him.

re: Campbell, I like him, and this is only his rookie year. Sign him again for 1-2 years. Players (the good ones anyway) almost always make a jump from year 1 to year 2 in the AHL. They know what to expect, and what they need to do in off season prep. He also has some offensive skills (the level of a Klesla, not Hainsey or Russell). The org is shallow enough in the defensive talent pool that he won't be blocking anyone else's shot at the AHL level.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
JacketFanInFL

UFAs (Group III)
Sergei Fedorov ($6,080,000) - Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Adam Foote ($4,600,000) - Re-signed 2 yrs~ 3 mil
David Vyborny ($2,200,000) - Resigned for about the same
Michael Peca ($1,315,000) - Gone if the injuries keep up (too much)
Jason Chimera ($1,000,000) - Re-signed
Jan Hejda ($1,000,000) - Lock him up long term
Ron Hainsey ($900,000) - Lock him up long term
Jody Shelley ($650,000) - Thanks for taking all those punches, have fun in the ECHL
Kris Beech ($585,000) - Good for the 4th line
Zenon Konopka ($500,000) - Don't know
Derek Mackenzie ($500,000) - Don't know
Dan Smith ($500,000) - Don't know

UFAs (Group VI)
Andrew Murray ($475,000) - sure why not

RFAs (Group II)
Dan Fritsche ($750,000)
Clay Wilson ($585,000)
Aaron Rome ($495,000)
Marc Methot ($475,000)

All these guys except maybe picard... probably going to pan out to a grinder.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Howson has to make a decision on Vyborny. He is either playing injured and out of his norm, or physically at a point with his age where he will not be consistently healthy enough to play competitive hockey anymore.

32 is not old, but its not young especially for a non physical, smallish player of average speed.

Vybes missed maybe 5 games over the last 3 seasons. Half way through this season he's already missed 8 and is on the IR atm. I'm not sure he's played a game at 100% health. All players get banged up, but he's not bouncing back from those dings like all players should, and like he has the last 5 years.

The fan in me says bring him back for depth/pk duty and let him retire as a Jacket, but do so for the right price. At the same time, I would understand if Howson chose not to.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Howson has to make a decision on Vyborny.
99.9% sure the decision has already been made. Howson made public his desire to re-sign Foote. That doesn't mean he hasn't decided to do the same with Vyborny, it just means that Howson is pretty far along in the decision making process. Vyborny could simply be less of a priority then Foote, in Howson's eyes.

At this point, it's very likely something dramatic would have to happen to get him to chance his mind (you know dropping 30 points down over the next 18 games or so). He's either fine with a more defensive, less offensive Vyborny, or he's not. I'll keep it at that, so hopefully this doesn't degrade into another Vyborny skill set debate.

If I were a betting man, I would say they chances of re-signing him are pretty low. But who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Macster

I wonder how many of these guys can be replaced in-house

Jody Shelley ($650,000)
Kris Beech ($585,000)

Adam Foote ($4,600,000)
Jan Hejda ($1,000,000)
Ron Hainsey ($900,000)

Dan Fritsche ($750,000) (RFA)
Curtis Glencross ($522,500) (RFA)

This is the rest of the roster:

Nash - _______- Modin
______ - Novotny - Zherdev
______ - Malholtra - _____
______ - ________ - Boll
______

Klesla - ______
_____ - ______
Russell - Westcott
Tollefsen

______
Norrena

Forget the number one centre. Let`s go after a number one right winger.

Here`s why: Last year when Feds was playing hurt, Modin was essentially playing centre. He was taking all of the faceoffs, and patrolled centre ice a little bit. Hitch is ga ga over having Nash and Modin together. So, let`s put them together. That would open up a spot to round out the top line. We`ll have a bunch of cash to spend, even after mopping up some of our own RFAs, so we make a pitch for Hossa.

Novotny and Zherdev have chemistry, and are both under contract, so they form part of the second line. At this point, I say we let Chimmer go. His replacement...Lindstrom. Joakim can play all three forward spots, and I think at this point has proved his worth.

Third line is the kid line. Brass in the middle, Voracek on the right wing. Brule is the LW on that line. They won`t see the top checking units, and will be given room to strut their stuff. There would be no pressure to score, and I think their talent alone would make this a very dangerous line.

Manny and Boller will be the fourth line C and RW, and will be the top PK unit. Their ice time wouldn`t change much because they will be go-to guys on special teams. The remaining spot (4LW) is open to somebody who earns it in camp. A current Crunchie (Sestito, Dorsett, Murray...). If you remember, in training camp there was a line of Sestito - Malholtra - Boll. They did pretty well and I think that could be an effective fourth line for us.

Re-sign Jody. He`s our 13th man.

So...

Nash - Modin - Hossa
Lindstrom - Novotny - Zherdev
Brule - Brassard - Voracek
Sestito - Malholtra - Boll
Shelley

Fedorov, Vyborny, Chimera, Beech Peca, Fritsche and Glencross are all gone. Replaced by the likes of Lindstrom, Voracek, Brassard and Sestito. A definite influx of youth, but you have to remember that guys like Nash, Z, Novo, Parma and Boller are all a year older and more experienced, and up front Modin, Hossa and Manny are all veteran players.

The D is easy. Re-sign Hainsey and Hejda. Arguably our top offensive and defensive blueliners. There has been talk of re-upping Footer, so do that as well. Our defense has played great this year IMO. Pazzy`s stats and our GA prove that fact. Therefore, we`re looking at essentially the same group of defensemen.

Another option would be to trade for a top four guy. Preferably a puck mover. Who doesn`t want one though. We don`t have any roster guys we could really move, unless it`s Rusty. We could package Rusty and some pickséprospects to land that top guy. Or maybe Methot +.

Personally I am happy with Methot being the only addition to the blueline. That gives us 8 guys, let camp sort things out.

Leclaire and Norrena are both back.

Drumroll please.....your 2008-2009 Columbus Blue Jackets:

Nash - Modin - Hossa
Shelley

Klesla - Hainsey
Foote - Hejda
Russell - Westcott
Tollefsen - Methot

Leclaire
Norrena

Old
01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Skraut

Quote:

Nash - Modin - Hossa
Shelley

Klesla - Hainsey
Foote - Hejda
Russell - Westcott
Tollefsen - Methot

Leclaire
Norrena
Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of it, I just wonder which line we throw out there to counter the other team's #1 line, our 4th?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:12 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:

Nash - Modin - Hossa
Shelley

Klesla - Hainsey
Foote - Hejda
Russell - Westcott
Tollefsen - Methot

Leclaire
Norrena
I like your thought process overall with the pursuit of Marian Hossa the guy can play, but there is such a thing as too much youth and I think that lineup is way too youthy. Even though a player like Chimmer has been somewhat disappointing I'd like that lineup a lot more if he were in it instead of Sesito. Also relying on a kid line is a scary little predicament.

For the most part we've been disappointed by our youth and relying on Brassard, Brule, Voracek not to mention, Boll (still a young guy), Lindstrom, Sesito to play next year just won't work. That's half our forwards. What happens if our vets go down with an injury then you might have 8-9 20-22 year olds in our forward lines.. not ideal.

A mix is indeed what we need to go with.

My plan:

1 top forward (preferably center) 1 top defensemen. Overall I think our d has done a decent job, but more often then not stunt our offense. A point shot is also drastically needed. I know Hainsey yada yada. If his price is 3 million this offseason do you want him back?..... I don't, chances are someone would pay him that, and chances are it would be a bad contract.

Dan Boyle will be an interesting buy come next year.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
99.9% sure the decision has already been made. Howson made public his desire to re-sign Foote. That doesn't mean he hasn't decided to do the same with Vyborny, it just means that Howson is pretty far along in the decision making process.
If he's decided to not resign Vyborny, then I would expect Vybes on waivers when Brassard comes up in a week or two.

Old
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of it, I just wonder which line we throw out there to counter the other team's #1 line, our 4th?
Kinda looks to me like it would be the 4th line. My other concern is who's going to win face-offs for Nash and Hossa to work with? I didn't think Freddie was much of a face-off guy.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
I like your thought process overall with the pursuit of Marian Hossa the guy can play, but there is such a thing as too much youth and I think that lineup is way too youthy. Even though a player like Chimmer has been somewhat disappointing I'd like that lineup a lot more if he were in it instead of Sesito. Also relying on a kid line is a scary little predicament.

For the most part we've been disappointed by our youth and relying on Brassard, Brule, Voracek not to mention, Boll (still a young guy), Lindstrom, Sesito to play next year just won't work. That's half our forwards. What happens if our vets go down with an injury then you might have 8-9 20-22 year olds in our forward lines.. not ideal.

A mix is indeed what we need to go with.

My plan:

1 top forward (preferably center) 1 top defensemen. Overall I think our d has done a decent job, but more often then not stunt our offense. A point shot is also drastically needed. I know Hainsey yada yada. If his price is 3 million this offseason do you want him back?..... I don't, chances are someone would pay him that, and chances are it would be a bad contract.

Dan Boyle will be an interesting buy come next year.
Fair enough. Let's say Chimmer stays, and plays on a "checking"line with Manny and Boll.

As I said before, we wouldn't be relying on the young guys for anything. We'd be relying on the top two lines. Nasher, Modin, Zherdev, Hossa, Novo. Lindstrom would be the only guy who hasn't entirely proven himself, but I think it's time he was given a full time shot. The kids would be allowed to roam around and strut their stuff, while not seeing any top checkers. A youth line doesn't bother me at all. Think of Penner-Getzlaf-Perry.

Old
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
Kinda looks to me like it would be the 4th line. My other concern is who's going to win face-offs for Nash and Hossa to work with? I didn't think Freddie was much of a face-off guy.
The good thing about faceoffs is that it can be taught at any level. You can get better at them. A couple weeks with Manny should be enough.

Old
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

Nash - Modin - Hossa
Shelley

Klesla - Hainsey
Foote - Hejda
Russell - Westcott
Tollefsen - Methot

Leclaire
Norrena
My gut reaction is that there is an awful lot of youth in that lineup.
The Jackets might not be letting any world-beaters go in this scenario, but it is an awful lot of depth to sacrifice, especially when the alternative is filling five forward roles with young guys.

Not sure I like Modin as a center. I know he’s played there, but I’d rather see a more natural guy there. While Hossa would help, the lack of a true top 6 center has been a plague for this team and I’d worry about entering yet another year trying to fill that need in-house.
For the cost of Hossa (anywhere from $7 million to $10 million annual IMO) or maybe a little more, I think the CBJ could get a guy like Langkow and a guy like Boyle or Campbell on the backend.
That’s two needs addressed with roughly the same money.

I’d have a hard time getting rid of all three of Fritsche, Glencross and Chimer. My preference would be to keep Chimer, though I’d be fine with trading him or letting him walk if his contract demands are too high. Glencross and Fritsche seem like solid depth to me - if the price is right, keep them, if a young guy proves he’s ready, do a trade or just demote them and risk them to waivers.

As for the third line, I know Anaheim found success tossing three youngins out on the ice together, but I have to admit that I’m awful skeptical about a line where Brule is the most veteran member.
Could be a fun experiment, but I’m pesimistic about any long-term life to it.
And, if one or two or all three of those guys aren’t ready, the CBJ would’ve let a lot of depth walk ...

Can you tell I have worries about some of the young guys?
If they can cut it – awesome. But you can’t let your Plan B walk away until you have a feeling that Plan A will work.

I’m okay with the defense. As I said above, I’m all in favor of adding a PPQB. Hainsey can fill that role, but would be better used as a 2nd unit guy or a compliment to the first unit IMO, not the main man. My preference would be to resign him, but depending on cost and other alternatives (getting a Boyle or Campbell) I could live with letting him walk.

I'd give you a lineup projection, but I have no clue which (if any) kids are ready to step up, which affects how I'd slot guys.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

I like Macster's lineup, but not for another season. Next season I think we'll see:

Either Peca or Fedorov back as we can't afford to part with 2 centers.

and

At least one of Fritsche, Chimera, and Vyborny back...and maybe 2.

Brassard is up next season and will likely play 20 games up here this season.

Beech is probably here next season full time.

Lindstrom and Voracek are on the bubble, I could see one of them sticking. I think Voracek will be left down next season, and maybe get 20 games late like Brassard will this season.

Thats all the youth I think they'll dare to infuse onto already one of the youngest teams in the NHL.

I would not be suprised to see Brassard centering Nash and Modin next season.

Old
01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If he's decided to not resign Vyborny, then I would expect Vybes on waivers when Brassard comes up in a week or two.
Interesting thought. I had considered the waiver process, but that would concede there's no trade value for Vyborny (and that we are actually trying to trade him). Not sure if Vyborny's and Brassard's fates are that linked together. However, with Shelly still getting 3 minutes a game, I would rather see Vyborny on the PK and get some time on the PP then flat our release him and watch Shelly not play.

I may not be a huge fan of Vybes, but I think he can fit into that fourth line specality team type play Hitch wanted at the beginning of the year. That assumes my absurd thoughts on his 5 on 5 play are closer to truth then to the ramblings of an idiot.

Old
01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
I think Voracek will be left down next season, and maybe get 20 games late like Brassard will this season.
The problem with Voracek is he's not AHL eligible until 09/10. So it has to be the Jackets or Halifax for him. Judging by what I saw from him in the WJC, another year in the minors would not help him at all.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
The problem with Voracek is he's not AHL eligible until 09/10. So it has to be the Jackets or Halifax for him. Judging by what I saw from him in the WJC, another year in the minors would not help him at all.

I haven't been able to see him play at all since training camp, so you are a leg up on me. Is he NHL ready you think?

Old
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I like Macster's lineup, but not for another season. Next season I think we'll see:

Either Peca or Fedorov back as we can't afford to part with 2 centers.
I doubt either one of those 2 will be back. Peca just hasn't shown the durablity this year and Feds hasn't shown he's worthy of top 6 minutes anymore. Don't forget Hitch's little comment that if Recchi had been a center they might have considered it. Sounds like the Jackets are still looking for centers now, even with Brassard in the wings, Novotny playing well, Beech a conditioning coach away from steady minutes, and Malhotra considered by most as a lock for a spot. Plus I didn't think Capn's thoughts on Langkow were a bad one. There are a couple of other centers I might look at in the UFA market.

There's some interesting stuff in Macster's lines, I doubt our defensive core is going to remain into next season. We know they Jackets are looking for a PP QB. They might not get the ideal condidate, but I think you'll see an upgrade in there. I would be surprised to see Duvie survive that addition.

I would be really surprised to see Hossa, there's gonna be some bidding wars over that guy.

Should be an intersting offseason.