HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mirror shields

Old
12-26-2007, 11:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Mirror shields

Does you league allow them?

Ours does, and I now wear one after playing against defensemen that wear them you notice hiding the eyes is an advantage, especially for defensemen.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:42 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Ours does, and I now wear one after playing against defensemen that wear them you notice hiding the eyes is an advantage, especially for defensemen.
i cant stand those things ...especially the mirrored ones.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:33 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:

They should be banned. This isn't football - where a guy is looking is rarely where his head is facing, especially when he has the puck and is making a move.

If I'm an off-winger moving into the slot where one defenseman has the C tied up, I want to know if and when the guy who has the puck sees me so that I can time when I hit the slot for him.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:07 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

You are probably made fun of by other teams. I know we make fun of the guys in mt league that wear them, who think they are Ovechkin. When your playing defense, are you looking at the forwards eyes? Doubt it.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:31 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURinkRat View Post
They should be banned. This isn't football - where a guy is looking is rarely where his head is facing, especially when he has the puck and is making a move.

If I'm an off-winger moving into the slot where one defenseman has the C tied up, I want to know if and when the guy who has the puck sees me so that I can time when I hit the slot for him.
Um you can see out of them defenders cant see into them.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 03:05 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
You are probably made fun of by other teams. I know we make fun of the guys in mt league that wear them, who think they are Ovechkin. When your playing defense, are you looking at the forwards eyes? Doubt it.
There is one guy on our team that wears one and that is the first thing I think of, Ovechkin.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Stripes

If you're playing pro hockey, go ahead. There are also guys who have tinted visors to help with the lighting that may effect their eyes, but even in the NHL, I believe you need an optometrist to prescribe such a visor.

If you're playing rec league, don't get one. Just don't.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

There is absolutely no reason to get one anytime. You will only be laughed at.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Gino 14

If you like the mirror visor, wear it. No matter what you do, someone is always going to knock you for it. You might as well do what makes you happy knowing full well it will piss someone else off. They'll get over it or die unhappy.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Um you can see out of them defenders cant see into them.
....he wants to know if his center sees him. Which obviously means he's talking about another player on his team wearing the mirrored shield.

Last edited by Puck Farise: 12-27-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
If you like the mirror visor, wear it. No matter what you do, someone is always going to knock you for it. You might as well do what makes you happy knowing full well it will piss someone else off. They'll get over it or die unhappy.
...or run you unmercifully for it!
anyone remember when nike started making skates? you know those white ones? many a guy i played junior with or against took cheap shots or LATE hits for no other reason but the skates they wore. or the old jofa helmets(the soup bowls that the russians used to wear), or high double digit numbers like 99, or 88, or 66.
point is why give the opposing goons reason to single you out?
these visors do the same thing i would imagine.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
The only person who should wear a mirrored shield is Ovechkin.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
The only person who should wear a mirrored shield is Ovechkin.
/thread

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE7 View Post
....he wants to know if his center sees him. Which obviously means he's talking about another play on his team wearing the mirrored shield.
Which is exactly why I said you can see out of them , meaning who ever is wearing it, and defenders cant see into them. I dotn see why people dont understand the concept that the mirror coating is designed to see out of but not seen through. Just like a 2 way mirror. You cant see the people behind it but they can see you.

Old
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Having actually worn one I will say that it really helps with the glare and lighting if your eyes are sensitive to lighting. Make sure you can hold your own against idiots who run you because they think it's an insult to them or something. I know people stopped giving me crap after I beat the snot out of a teams enforcer.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
Quote:
Which is exactly why I said you can see out of them , meaning who ever is wearing it, and defenders cant see into them. I dotn see why people dont understand the concept that the mirror coating is designed to see out of but not seen through. Just like a 2 way mirror. You cant see the people behind it but they can see you.
I'm pretty sure everyone understands that concept...

But if you're playing with a guy wearing a mirrored visor, you won't be able to tell when/if he sees you, so you won't be as ready for the play. It helps being able to see where your teammates are looking.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:34 PM
CaptBrannigan

I used to wear one. I have a better prescription on my contacts now and the rink lighting doesn't bother me as much so I went back to the full face protection. I've noticed that 99% of the guys who give others crap about equipment are on the low end of the talent level anyways; you've got to be if you're worked up about something that stupid.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:56 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie27 View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone understands that concept...

But if you're playing with a guy wearing a mirrored visor, you won't be able to tell when/if he sees you, so you won't be as ready for the play. It helps being able to see where your teammates are looking.
BigE7 obviously didnt. Ill agree it helps to know where they are looking but alot of times if you know the defense knows.

Old
12-27-2007, 11:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

What kind of league do you all play in where someone gets upset at what type of shield you wear, why is that an insult?

I'm not worried about anyone coming after me in our old mans late Sunday night beer league. I don't think it's that important to anyone I play with or against. And if you're going to try to fight someone because you don't like their visor, boy, do you have issues.

Old
12-28-2007, 12:27 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
What kind of league do you all play in where someone gets upset at what type of shield you wear, why is that an insult?

I'm not worried about anyone coming after me in our old mans late Sunday night beer league. I don't think it's that important to anyone I play with or against. And if you're going to try to fight someone because you don't like their visor, boy, do you have issues.
Trgg youd be suprised at some of the players in beer/house league. Some of them think they are playing for the SC and will do anything to accomplish it. Ive had more problems with beer/house league than I ever had playing tournaments.

Old
12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, that makes me like our league even more. We have a half a dozen that wear those shields, no one gets upset about it.

Old
12-28-2007, 09:34 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Wait, how exactly does a mirror shield reduce the light where an ordinary tint wouldn't work? I've never tried on the shield, but when I got a good pair of perscription Oakley sunglasses for skiing, the $25 mirror coating option I took was simply for looks. Although I guess the lenses themselvse were polarized, which you can't really get in a face shield. Does the mirror coating actually help with light?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
VisionQuest*

I've never seen anyone get upset over someone wearing a mirror shield, but you may have some fun poked at you. Lets face it, for most people its a fashion over function issue with wearing one, so theyre gonna face a little ridicule here or there. I personally don't care. If you're a total ******, it's going to be evident by your actions more than your gear. The kind of guys I usually play with would never wear one, so I dont have a lot of experience with it anyway. Just random pickups or stick times here and there.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Wow, that makes me like our league even more. We have a half a dozen that wear those shields, no one gets upset about it.
As your teammate I have to tell you that even though you haven't worn the mirrored visor yet, It already pisses me off!!! Wear the cage fancy boy!!!

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Puck Farise

Quote:
And I can't understand how someones reading comprehension could be so bad. IF ANOTHER PLAYER ON HIS TEAM WAS WEARING IT. Meaning he can't tell if the player on his team (in his scenario, his center) can see him open for the pass. Not because he can't see out of his own damn visor, but because he can't see where the **** the center is looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE7 View Post
....he wants to know if his center sees him. Which obviously means he's talking about another player on his team wearing the mirrored shield.
Holy ****....

Last edited by Puck Farise: 12-28-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote