HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lundqvist is #16 on Save % list

Old
01-02-2008, 10:41 PM
jake1970*

vCash: 500
Lundqvist is #16 on Save % list

I have said before on this site that Lundqvist is overhyped. The most important in determining a goalie's play is save % - not shutouts or GAA. Lundqvist is #16 halfway through the season. I like Lundqvist but I don't think he is a king by any means and think he is overrated. Right now, the numbers tell the story - after tonight's Calgary game his save % will be lower. I would like to see what Montoya can do on the nhl level.

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1970 View Post
I have said before on this site that Lundqvist is overhyped. The most important in determining a goalie's play is save % - not shutouts or GAA. Lundqvist is #16 halfway through the season. I like Lundqvist but I don't think he is a king by any means and think he is overrated. Right now, the numbers tell the story - after tonight's Calgary game his save % will be lower. I would like to see what Montoya can do on the nhl level.
Yeah? And? Broduer had a sub .900 to begin the year. Luongo was awful as well.

Every goalie slumps.

I don't feel like flaming anyone, but it's really, really stupid to think he's overhyped.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:46 PM
ThirdEye

OH NO!!!

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Salz

Every time Lundqvist goes through one of these slumps I get nervous that he won't snap out of it but he always does. So to the original poster- I expect by the end of the year, he'll be Top 5 in save percentage. He's been up there the last two years, despite having two big slumps both years.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Every goalie slumps.

I don't feel like flaming anyone, but it's really, really stupid to think he's overhyped.
NY tends to overhype players just like it is overhyping Staal - unfortunately, it's what we do. Lundqvist is a good goalie - not an untouchable, franchise goalie in my opinion - time will tell.

Old
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
jake1970*

Quote:

Every goalie slumps.

NY tends to overhype players just like it is overhyping Staal - unfortunately, it's what we do. Lundqvist is a good goalie - not an untouchable, franchise goalie in my opinion - time will tell.

Old
01-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Yeah. Staal is really overhyped. Give me a ****ing break. I have high doubts that you aren't a Rangers fan.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
broadwayblue

does this forum have an ignore feature?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
OH NO!!!

It's not about worrying for me - I think Vally could fill in very well at any point - I am not sold on Lundqvist as the franchise goalie - anyone who says anything against Lundy or Staal is shunned on this site. Staal is ridiculously overhyped - Lundy has played very well for the past 3 years - I want to see Montoya before we sign Lundy to a long term deal and trade Montoya.

Old
Salz

The last two years his save percentage was .922 and .917. That's very good. He also was terrific in the playoffs. Last year he was 8th in save percentage, and lets not forget he was disgusting until December. In 2006 he was 4th in save percentage. I would consider someone who has two years of being in the top 10 in save percentage an elite goalie. Oh, but he's 16th on January 2nd. I guess he's not.

Old
01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
It's not about worrying for me - I think Vally could fill in very well at any point - I am not sold on Lundqvist as the franchise goalie - anyone who says anything against Lundy or Staal is shunned on this site. Staal is ridiculously overhyped - Lundy has played very well for the past 3 years - I want to see Montoya before we sign Lundy to a long term deal and trade Montoya.
It's a good thing your not the GM. Whew

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Wait - why isn't anyone mentioning the quality of the shots? NYR's defense had been playing so well until recently that only the best of shots tended to make their way towards the net. If you're suggesting that they lower their guard to allow more low percentage shots to up his %, go ahead...

GAA, wins, save%, they're all somehow going to be affected by team D.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He gave up a bad, bad goal tonight but there's no reason to panic and bring up Montoya. Lundqvist hasn't been at the very top of his game these past few weeks. And it would have been foolish to think he could continue his October level of play for an entire season. He is somewhere in between, but closer to the October level than what he showed tonight, IMO. The Rangers' defense needs to tighten up as well. They work in tandem. How many quality chances did Calgary have in the slot tonight? The scored would have been 8-3 if they didn't miss the net so many times.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
It's a good thing your not the GM. Whew
Yeah, just brutal.

Old
Salz

Don't you think Marc Staal shows remarkable poise for a kid who is only 20 years old? He rarely makes a mistake. Do you remember the days of Quintal and Lefebrve? Rich Pilon? It's not that easy to do what Staal is doing and he's only 20 years old. No one's saying he's Phaneuf, not yet at least. I've been very happy with Staal's play.

Old
01-02-2008, 10:57 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Yeah. Staal is really overhyped. Give me a ****ing break. I have high doubts that you aren't a Rangers fan.
I have been a Ranger fan since I was 10 years old - I don't like when players are overhyped. Staal is a rookie!! He is not a great player yet!! He is not a big hitter, he is not quick, he has no offence yet. What makes him worthy of a #1 pairing ? Tell me please what he has done that makes him soooo great? He play's solid d in his own end - big deal!

Old
01-02-2008, 10:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
Don't you think Marc Staal shows remarkable poise for a kid who is only 20 years old? He rarely makes a mistake. Do you remember the days of Quintal and Lefebrve? Rich Pilon? It's not that easy to do what Staal is doing and he's only 20 years old. No one's saying he's Phaneuf, not yet at least. I've been very happy with Staal's play.
no dude, he sucks. i mean how many goals does he have?

Old
01-02-2008, 10:58 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
does this forum have an ignore feature?
Can't handle the truth?

Old
01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Chimp

Quote:
In december, we constantly played games where we gave up more breakaways and oddman rushes than all of october or november altogether. It was like 7-8 breakaways and oddman rushes every game. And I haven't even mentioned all uncontested players on rebounds and positioned to pick their corners from the slot.

A goalie's save percentage is perhaps the closest stat you can come to a goalie's performance, but it's still not accurate. 30 logo shots or 30 breakaways a night, go figure. It's the job of the team to keep the shots out of the perimeter from bad angles, which will up a goalie's percentage and then up to the goalie to bail out the team when they fail. The problem is when a team constantly fails.

If Lundqvist has a bad % percentage and this team plays defense like they are capable of, then we can start talking. One brainfart doesn't mean anything.

Don't kid yourself if you think this team letting in so many goals is all about Lundqvist. Far from it. Letting in few goals is a symbiosis between the goaltender and his defense.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I have been a Ranger fan since I was 10 years old - I don't like when players are overhyped. Staal is a rookie!! He is not a great player yet!! He is not a big hitter, he is not quick, he has no offence yet. What makes him worthy of a #1 pairing ? Tell me please what he has done that makes him soooo great? He play's solid d in his own end - big deal!
May I ask how old you are now? And I don't think anyone here has claimed Staal is worthy of winning any awards. The thing is that most of us believe he has tremendous POTENTIAL. Whether he will rise to that level is another issue, but many people feel he has the tools and the pedigree to achieve it.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
He gave up a bad, bad goal tonight but there's no reason to panic and bring up Montoya. Lundqvist hasn't been at the very top of his game these past few weeks. And it would have been foolish to think he could continue his October level of play for an entire season. He is somewhere in between, but closer to the October level than what he showed tonight, IMO. The Rangers' defense needs to tighten up as well. They work in tandem. How many quality chances did Calgary have in the slot tonight? The scored would have been 8-3 if they didn't miss the net so many times.
I am not panicking - I don't think Lundqvist is the King of NY - I want to see what Montoya has before we trade him and sign Lundqvist to a long term deal.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I wouldn't mind seeing Montoya get a game or two, but I also think Henrik will be fine. Strong finsher!

The King did allow his softest goal ever tonight in Calgary. The GWG no less

I wonder if his looming Payday is a distraction right now?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Can't handle the truth?
How is it the truth? When exactly are you positive in any of your posts at all?

Lundqvist has had a bad stretch, he potentially blew a big moment tonight when he let in one of the biggest softies the ice cream man is ever going to give out, but, regardless, not surprised that we lost, Calgary is good.

He'll come around just like the first 20 games, and I'll be basking in glory that I don't have to read these threads every loss, now if only I can find a way to stop the Malik threads......

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
TheRedressor

This guy is a lunatic/closet Islanders fan, all I gotta say is get the heck outa there with this Lundqvist is not a franchise goalie crap.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I think for a 20 year old he is great - my point is that he shouldn't be on the #1 pairing and he is not as good as everyone on this site makes him out to be yet. He may be great one day - he is being overhyped for what he is right now.