HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist is #16 on Save % list

Old
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM
NYR94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1970 View Post
I am not panicking - I don't think Lundqvist is the King of NY - I want to see what Montoya has before we trade him and sign Lundqvist to a long term deal.
Fair enough, it was out of line for me to say that you were, but I couldn't help but notice that your thread on Lundqvist's save % was created after a game in which he didn't play particularly well. Threads criticizing specific players (see Malik) tend to pop up immediately after they play poorly in games.

I don't know if you heard this during the game, but they had a quote from Lundqvist's agent Don Meehan saying he expected a deal before the end of the month.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I think for a 20 year old he is great - my point is that he shouldn't be on the #1 pairing and he is not as good as everyone on this site makes him out to be yet. He may be great one day - he is being overhyped for what he is right now.
He's an upgrade over Malik. Plain and simple.

They will have to tough it out as far as his growing pains.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
May I ask how old you are now? And I don't think anyone here has claimed Staal is worthy of winning any awards. The thing is that most of us believe he has tremendous POTENTIAL. Whether he will rise to that level is another issue, but many people feel he has the tools and the pedigree to achieve it.
I am 37 years old and think that Staal has great potential also - my point is that he should not be on the #1 pairing yet - he may be great one day but he is not as great as most think on this site - that's it. Mara is a better player than Staal right now - tougher, quicker, much better offense and experience. He should be on the #1 pairing and Staal with Strudwick.

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Mara is a better player than Staal right now - tougher, quicker, much better offense and experience. He should be on the #1 pairing and Staal with Strudwick.
Do you even watch this team?

I want my 2 minutes back

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Montoya get a game or two, but I also think Henrik will be fine. Strong finsher!

The King did allow his softest goal ever tonight in Calgary. The GWG no less

I wonder if his looming Payday is a distraction right now?
I appreciate your rational answer. I like Lundy - I just don't love him like most on this site.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Do you even watch this team?
Every game - Mara is not given the chance to be on the #1 line - he is a much better player than Staal right now. Tell me how Staal is better than Mara - I would love to hear it.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
This guy is a lunatic/closet Islanders fan, all I gotta say is get the heck outa there with this Lundqvist is not a franchise goalie crap.
No - I am a rational Ranger fan who can't stand delusional Ranger fans. You can't take a different and objective opinion from a Ranger fan - that's your problem.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:13 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

[QUOTE=jake1970;11863767]No - I am a rational Ranger fan who can't stand delusional Ranger fans. You can't take a different and objective opinion from a Ranger fan - that's your problem.[/QUOTE]

He probably can, but they need to have some sense.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
How is it the truth? When exactly are you positive in any of your posts at all?

Lundqvist has had a bad stretch, he potentially blew a big moment tonight when he let in one of the biggest softies the ice cream man is ever going to give out, but, regardless, not surprised that we lost, Calgary is good.

He'll come around just like the first 20 games, and I'll be basking in glory that I don't have to read these threads every loss, now if only I can find a way to stop the Malik threads......
I don't mind Malik - there is a lot to like about this team - I mention the few areas I don't like - and they tend to be against overhyping Staal and calling Lundqvist a King - that's all.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
HockeyBurd*

What's the situation with Lundqvist's father? Is he still in the hospital? I wonder if this is having a significant effect on his game.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Sv% is overrated anyway. It's not the be-all and end-all of goalie stats.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:19 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Fair enough, it was out of line for me to say that you were, but I couldn't help but notice that your thread on Lundqvist's save % was created after a game in which he didn't play particularly well. Threads criticizing specific players (see Malik) tend to pop up immediately after they play poorly in games.

I don't know if you heard this during the game, but they had a quote from Lundqvist's agent Don Meehan saying he expected a deal before the end of the month.
I mentioned Lundqvist tonight to try and validate my point all along that Lundqvist is not the King - I don't mind them signing him - I just want to see Montoya - before they trade him.

Old
01-02-2008, 11:22 PM
jake1970*

[QUOTE=Bruno Ranger;11863772]
Quote:
No - I am a rational Ranger fan who can't stand delusional Ranger fans. You can't take a different and objective opinion from a Ranger fan - that's your problem.[/QUOTE]

He probably can, but they need to have some sense.
The bottom line is - Henrik is #16 save % halfway through the season and Staal is not great yet - he is a rookie who is holding his own. How does that not make sense?

Old
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
devsfan4life

I think Staal is going to be an above average guy but he is not going to be an amazing superstar. He'll probably end up being a very solid #2 or #3 and in, say, maybe 5 years he could evolve into a nice #1.

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
good lord, he had a bad game.

Let's cut the historics.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
You said it yourself how Staal is better than Mara. He is better at defense and that just happens to be the position they play. I am not saying Mara is a better player, but to say he is better than Staal is ludicrous. The Rangers don't really have a clear top pair either, it's more of a top-4 (Roszival, Staal, Tyutin and Girardi).

And on Lundqvist, come on man. I don't think that even warrants a response. You're calling other people out for a rational response, so why don't you give one? I mean all you're doing is calling everyone out and saying because he is 16th in save percentage he sucks, what other reasons do you have? Also, by what your saying, he was the king a couple weeks ago when he was top 3 in save percentage but now he had a couple mediocore games he sucks?

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
GarretJoseph*

Holy ****. I didn't wanna come here after the loss but I couldn't help myself and its 1AM. Why on earth did I come? Lundqvist over hyped?

jake =

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Jake = Kluviert??? or whatever his name was? He hasn't been around and that's the last person who hated Lundqvist and wanted to rush Montoya.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:19 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
Jake = Kluviert??? or whatever his name was? He hasn't been around and that's the last person who hated Lundqvist and wanted to rush Montoya.
Didn't he run off to PSV or Lillie or something like that?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
I mentioned Lundqvist tonight to try and validate my point all along that Lundqvist is not the King - I don't mind them signing him - I just want to see Montoya - before they trade him.
If we called him "The Prince" instead would that make you less angry?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Johnnybegood13

Be glad you guys have Lundqvist, you could have a bum like Kipper and his sub .900 SV%

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:33 AM
OCD

it will be interesting to see how lundquist responds after the league cracks down on goal pads length.(considering his go up almost to the belt line)

turco is on the rules committe after all, and he was flaming luongo a few weeks ago in a game out west, roberto's are just as bad.

the large and tall butterfly goalies won't be able to stretch post to post and take away the 5 hole like they do now.

Last edited by OCD: 01-03-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer...lol!
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:11 AM
frozenrubber

I for one find a tiny bit of a silverlining in Lundqvist going through his biggest slump since October of 2006 at the same exact time of his longterm contract negotiation. Hopefully this can skim off a few hundred thousand...

Honestly, Lundqvist has been ridden a bit too hard in my opinion. A lot of this has to do w/ the early and continued scoring woes and in a mediocre backup in Valiquette (who has played admirably so far). I understand that the Rangers love the idea of Lundqvist playing 70+ games (currently on pace for 71-72), but I like ~65 games...it all adds up to a fresher, more rested for the playoffs goaltender.

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:20 AM
h0ckeyman

DUDE!!!!!!!! finally someone who agrees with me. Lundqvist has been terrible ever since the beginning and everyone loves him for no reason. This guy SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want Dan Cloutier back!!!!!!

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
I have said before on this site that Lundqvist is overhyped. The most important in determining a goalie's play is save % - not shutouts or GAA. Lundqvist is #16 halfway through the season. I like Lundqvist but I don't think he is a king by any means and think he is overrated. Right now, the numbers tell the story - after tonight's Calgary game his save % will be lower. I would like to see what Montoya can do on the nhl level.
The only thing overhyped is this thread.

Yea, Henke gave up two bad ones tonight, but he didn't get much action unless it was a high-quality chance. He still made some huge saves tonight and bailed us out plenty. The goals he let in tonight: He gets some of the blame on the first one. He gets most of the blame on the last one. The other two were not his fault at all. Iginla gets a clear shot from the slot and he scores 9/10 times. That shot had eyes. And a bang-bang play on a 2 on 0 after the Rangers were on their backs watching Huselius figure skate.

The majority of goals he lets in are the result of defensive breakdowns or giveaways by our team. It's not like he's giving up softies all the time. In most of those situations, Henrik bails us out. When he doesn't face a lot of shots, but has to face breakaways and high quality scoring chances after having no work, he's bound to let in a few less-than-beautiful goals. The fact remains, he is the most valuable player to this team. I wouldn't even say he's slumping right now at all, but for those who want to say that, in my opinion he's earned the right. Is it too much to ask for the team to pick him up every once in a while? They fought back tonight and Henrik's stinker ended up being the game-winner, but we never should've let the previous 3 goals develop either. If we're going to get that outplayed on this road trip, our powerplay's going to have to be a hell of a lot better to steal one, because Henrik can't do everything.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote