HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

gdt: wild @ preds (start of a winning streak edition)

Old
01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
gdt: wild @ preds (start of a winning streak edition)

"Ok, guys. We've won two games in a row. If we win tonight, its called a winning streak. IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE."

This is a tough game though, even at home. Minnesota always beats us, and Backstrom has never lost to us in four tries.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Ellis to start and Erat scheduled to play, Gelinas is a game-time decision.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....01/1002/SPORTS

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Pred303

a fine win, exactly what we needed... hard to start naming people tonight, lots of strong games from several players.. hamhuis, erat, gelinas, radulov, ellis, devries.. pretty much name anyone and he somehow contributed..

a game where hustle and hard work made breaks go our way early.... some might say we simply got a lucky bounce and a seeing eye shot on the first two goals.. but both happened because we were skating hard and putting pressure in the right spots..

ellis is hot, red hot in fact.. admittedly, lots of those big explosive rebounds tonight that we've been talking about, that credit has to go to the defense for getting to and clearing.. but ellis did what good goaltenders do, made the first save all night and let the team work to clear rebounds.. a couple of fine in close stops on a couple of sequences as well..

a great crowd of course, great atmosphere in the place.. nothing like the arena with a capacity crowd.. a fine touch for the players to come out and salute the fans afterwards.. very nicely done.. outstanding that the team decided to do that, brought quite the roar from the crowd..

just maybe things are coming together for this hard-skating group of underdogs... a nice little stretch already behind us since christmas, with hopefully things turning in our favor here schedule wise.. funny how much better things look when you start getting good goaltending, start taking better care of the puck, start getting a couple of players hot at the same time, start playing pretty solidly on special teams, start playing solid defensively, and start to get a little scoring balance from three different lines.. do those things and this isn't a bad little hockey team..

now we need a good little road trip, need to find a way to win two of these three (ANA, STL, CLB) and keep this momentum going our way..

a pleased hockey fan tonight, we'll talk the technical good and bad things tomorrow, but for tonight it's time to simply sit back and enjoy a good win

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 08:28 AM
RollingPredFan

Yay! I have to say I was nervous until Erat scored... because we have collapsed in the last few minutes against the Wild several times.

Good to see a sellout, I think we will see a lot more of them now football season is about over. Nice to see the players come out and acknowledge the crowd too

Interesting that Suter was a healthy scratch. With Klien, Koistenen playing well... isn't it time to move a d-man? I guess easier said than done, we are really deep in defensemen and still have top prospects in the minors and could still use a goal scorer.

RollingPredFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 09:47 AM
braindead

I wonder if they were showcasing Klein last night for a potential trade. I heard Trotz say Suter had a bad game and had tried to come back a bit soon but he also said he thought Klein had a solid game.... I thought he wasn't that good at times and It's the first time Trotz has said anything good about him.

Anyway. Mostly great game from our guys. A decent number of mistakes covered up by very good skating and very solid defense. The Wild didn't seem to get those 2 on 1, 3 on 1 counterattacks that seem to kill us every time we play. Again, getting the lead helped a bunch.

Great forechecking by Fiddler, Dumont, Smithson, Nicholls, Legwand, Tootoo, etc. Nearly everyone seemed to be applying pressure.

DeVries has been very competent in his own end so I have to mention it given how much I busted on him early in the season. Zids has looked much better as well, particularly when he isn't on the blueline on the PP. He "only" had two pucks that he failed to keep in the zone that I can recall last night-- it's usually more like 5-6 it seems.

Our PP setup looks like it has been tweaked and there is much more movement of the feet instead of standing still recently. It looks much better.

Nice to have a win streak.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'll comment more on the game itself later...but one thing i was disappointed in...

the mass exodus at about the 5 minute mark of the 3rd period, people trying to "beat traffic," with the game wrapped up. I'd say the number in the building decreased by about 2000-2500 in those last five minutes.

also, it was alittle cheesy having the three stars of the game throw t-shirts.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Statesman

Interesting game for sure.

This group of IMO "lunch pailers" has just found a way to win lately.Two weeks ago I never would have thought that we could have played well and beaten both Dallas in the Big D or MN especially when the injuries started to pile up.Good job.

A few observations that aren't game related.

Last night was TN National Guard night at the Sommet Center.The intermission band was composed of military members that did a pretty good job IMO.Later during a break a military member gave a rousing rendition of God Bless America that had everyone on their feet and singing along.Inspiring for sure.

The "wave"---I can't remember the last time that I've seen a well participated wave at the arena.The wave is silly in a way but the crowd enjoyed it.

Lastly---the "Ellis,Ellis,Ellis" chants started up after a pretty good save in the third.I'm sure that if I were Mason--- that I would have "squirmed" a bit in my seat.

On to CA.

Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'll comment more on the game itself later...but one thing i was disappointed in...

the mass exodus at about the 5 minute mark of the 3rd period, people trying to "beat traffic," with the game wrapped up. I'd say the number in the building decreased by about 2000-2500 in those last five minutes.

also, it was alittle cheesy having the three stars of the game throw t-shirts.
Agreed about the exodus, it was a little disappointing to see the place start to clear out and not stick around until the end.

About the shirts though, I thought it was a nice touch. San Jose had given away shirts in the past, but now they give out a full-sized souvenir wooden stick. Other teams I've watched throw shirts too, the Rangers I believe do it too. Personally, I liked it, especially with the third star getting one shirt, the second star getting two shirts, and the first star of the night getting three shirts.

That and the fan salute at the end of the game were two things I'm not so sure we'll see on a nightly basis. I think the team was trying to give a little something extra to the fans and the members of the National Guard in attendance last night.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I've missed the last 3 games....all 3 wins !

01-06-2008, 01:02 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I've missed the last 3 games....all 3 wins !
Haha you don't get to go to anymore games...

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 05:41 PM
fielding

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

That kinda sucks. I've only been to 5 or 6 games over the past years since I live a few hours away from Nashville, but I don't remember experiencing huge delays in terms of traffic (that includes a playoff game where we beat Detroit and everyone stayed until the end and a OT stunner against Phoenix where Legwand netted a game winner on a breakaway and most stayed until the end of that game).

fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding View Post
That kinda sucks. I've only been to 5 or 6 games over the past years since I live a few hours away from Nashville, but I don't remember experiencing huge delays in terms of traffic (that includes a playoff game where we beat Detroit and everyone stayed until the end and a OT stunner against Phoenix where Legwand netted a game winner on a breakaway and most stayed until the end of that game).
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's typical...I don't know if it was a lot of "casual" fans or new fans or what...maybe it was people who came just because they heard T-Rac was going to be there dancing around with Gnash. It was irritating, though.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
lstcyr

maybe someone had predicted snow for late Sunday night...you know how people get when you predict snow...even for late the next day

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
maybe someone had predicted snow for late Sunday night...you know how people get when you predict snow...even for late the next day
lol

Afraid the supermarket would run out of milk and bread...

Jarnberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Just wanted to give a to the sellout!

I loved the team giving the salute to the fans and the "3 Stars" throwing the shirts. Who cares if it's cheesy, it's the cheesy stuff that gets the casual fans/kids into the building and then into the game.

The team really put on a great game for any new fans in the building. When I was leaving all I heard was people talking about what a great game it was and how much fun they had. And hopefully they come back again!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote