HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

A Plea to all Posters

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
I agree.

GPH or think.blue would be my choices if that were to happen.
No loving for the thread starter

Old
01-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
No loving for the thread starter
How long have you been here?!

Old
01-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
How long have you been here?!
Since November, I was joking you know. I don't expect to be considerred Mod material till I'vespent at least 6 months.

Not that I don't think I'm up to the job, just that I don't think people want someone with 2 months experience.

Old
01-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Since November, I was joking you know. I don't expect to be considerred Mod material till I'vespent at least 6 months.

Not that I don't think I'm up to the job, just that I don't think people want someone with 2 months experience.
Some of us have been on here for years .......

Old
01-23-2004, 05:21 PM
McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Well, I for one don't mind the "heated" debates on the board. I've been in a few, but I don't resort to personal attacks. I personally also don't have a problem with certain posters posting controversial comments no matter how off the wall they are as long as the "dumb", "stupid" and "idiot" comments are left out of their posts and they don't take their insults to PM's knowing PM's don't fall within the same rules as the public boards.

Really, how entertaining would these boards be without a difference of opinions (even strong ones), we're not the Stepford Wives.

I'll give two examples, and yes I'm going to include names:
It's pretty obvious that Sluggo, while I agree with some of his opinions, I and a few others strongly disagree with many others. In all honesty, if I bumped into him on the street, I'd probably just shake his hand and say "Hey Buddy, how's it going?". Yeah at first, there was a lot of personal attacks, but once he realized that the board rules here were a lot stricter than other forums, he calmed down on them (still not quite 100%, but he's come a long way since first joining). What's the point of having a strong opinion if you can't express it here? I'd be very disappointed if those kind of discussions (- the insults) were no longer allowed to take place.

The second one has already been mentioned above, Red Horner. How people can still think he's trolling is beyond me. Obviously what he says is to inject some controversy and discussion, but why can't you guys see the humour in his posts. He's like the Dennis Miller of the boards. He takes a theory and puts some thought into making it an extreme post. I think it's a breath of fresh air.

I don't think the mods are doing a bad job, even though they've been busy, and I'd be all for Icewind becomming a 3rd mod, just to take care of the "REAL TROLLS" when Rand and Dutchy aren't available, but please, don't turn this board into a politically correct, everyone just get along and agree, puppet board.

Just thought I'd throw in my thoughts in this.
I agree with this!!

I think some of the negativity, keeps some fresh air on the boards. Reading some of the idiotic comments makes the great comments that much more enjoyable to read IMHO. I'm someone who believes in being able to express your true feelings, as long as you don't go over the line and do it inappropriately. So some of the aggressive things I don't mind, as long as people don't become nasty and go overboard. You know who you are. I agree with Dar 100% in saying that a politically correct, always be proper and polite board would be boring after some time.

I would also like to see a poll conducted for a 3rd moderator. People such as think.blue, Icewind Dale deserve a shot at it.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
I agree with this!!

I think some of the negativity, keeps some fresh air on the boards. Reading some of the idiotic comments makes the great comments that much more enjoyable to read IMHO. I'm someone who believes in being able to express your true feelings, as long as you don't go over the line and do it inappropriately. So some of the aggressive things I don't mind, as long as people don't become nasty and go overboard. You know who you are. I agree with Dar 100% in saying that a politically correct, always be proper and polite board would be boring after some time.

I would also like to see a poll conducted for a 3rd moderator. People such as think.blue, Icewind Dale deserve a shot at it.
Like was stated before people don't have to agree with that others say just leave the personal attacks out of it. I am sure people can get there posts across with out calling someone something inappropriate or disrespecting them. God some of these posters could be just children or young teenagers we may not agree with what is being said but there is no need to come straight out with a personal attack. And the comment I think some of the negativity, keeps some fresh air on the boards. Well that depends on what kind of negativity were talking about . Are you trying to prove your point in a debate or is it a personal attack?

Old
01-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't much like the infantile screaming, insult-ridden postings but have a pretty easy time scrolling past them to the substantive, thoughtful, on topic posts. There is a difference between good-natured ribbing and ignorant name calling and the line has been too often crossed.

Firmer moderation would help here but I wouldn't want to see so much censorship that spontaneity and passion would be compromised. It is a time-consuming and delicate skill to differentiate between what is a toe in the water, and total immersion into ignorance. If a moderator has this time, go for it. If not, I hope there is more self-control shown.

Elbow the opposition in the corners, not your teammates.

Old
01-23-2004, 06:46 PM
GoM

Oh You All Suck

What Do You Know!?

Old
01-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Oh You All Suck

What Do You Know!?

Absolutely nothing oh great flamer.

Old
01-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
uh OH!!! I promised Dr Love on the Flyers board that I would campaign for him here if we have a mod election.
LOL, now why would you do that?

P.S he wont know if no one tells him

Old
01-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Epoch

Quote:

Of course I know you're joking!

Old
01-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Rand

You know I could get used to this stricter Moderation, I find myself enjoying giving out a few more warnings.... I wonder if that's a good thing?

First time offenders seem to be popping by lately though, just need a few ban worthy members and we can hold our own group vacation

Douggy, Nordique and Loose Cannon get cudos for exercising the fun little "Report Post" feature.

Re: An additional Moderator.
That's not my decision, so I cannot clarify whether one will be introduced.
I'm inclined to agree with the idea personally, but it's being discussed and a decision will be passed upon when it's reached.

01-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
rand we could get a little rowdy for a few days

This would show a third admin is warranted for our group

Old
01-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
rand we could get a little rowdy for a few days

This would show a third admin is warranted for our group
A little rowdy?
Wouldn't that prove the opposite as a little rowdy may be an improvement...

Old
01-26-2004, 12:58 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80

I will tell him.... moooo waaa haaa haaa!!!!

SOB RULES!!

Old
01-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
I will tell him.... moooo waaa haaa haaa!!!!

SOB RULES!!
*knocks Flyers 26 unconcious with bat before he hits the send button*
*whistles while holding bat behind back*

Old
01-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80

TOO LATE!!!

Old
01-26-2004, 03:45 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwilliams
there you go again you been on my case since cay one, if someone don't agree with your thinkung you attack them, period, listen i'm just as passionate as anyone here , its when the leafs play bad i get pissed, i just hate hearing " its okay they'll be back " THEY HAVE NOT WON THE CUP SINCE 1967 , so i think the leafs should get bombarded when needed or applauded when needed , i live in wings town and some of my friends that come here say the leafs fans on this site is the most unknowlegdeable hockey fans , and when reading some posts i do agree, i just hate some of you leaf fans putting the rest of us down , and trust me the ones that think their the smartest on this site is the worst fan here
The main reason people dislike you here is because you obsess over things, such as Cairns, which other people don't care for. You are also infatuated with fighting, which shows in your posts, while other people are more balanced in there approach to the game. And if the Leaf fans here are unknowledgeable, your friends haven't seen some of the other message boards on the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
TOO LATE!!!
Oh no.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Rand

This one is beginning to get off topic to it's time to be unstickified.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:43 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
it was a good ride while it lasted.....

Old
01-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand

Oh thank you, benevolent mod. These "so's your old man" and "your mother wears combat boots" postings tend to disrupt the flow of thoughtful analysis.

Perhaps a thread for insults can be established and made available to all those who feel the need to let loose.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:57 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Yes, stricter moderation. Posters like Sluggo,Red Horner & tigerwilliams/w17glen get on peoples nerves
We may, but at the same time "it takes two to tango". Recently I've been in several arguments with Messanger and Go Pierre Hedin, but if Messanger and GOPH weren't as arguementive, stuborn and have just as strong opinions as I do there would be no argument, I can't have one with myself. Its not a case of "this person, this person and this person" start all the arguments, if no one argued with "us" there wouldn't be any arguments.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Epoch

Quote:
there you go again you been on my case since cay one, if someone don't agree with your thinkung you attack them, period, listen i'm just as passionate as anyone here , its when the leafs play bad i get pissed, i just hate hearing " its okay they'll be back " THEY HAVE NOT WON THE CUP SINCE 1967 , so i think the leafs should get bombarded when needed or applauded when needed , i live in wings town and some of my friends that come here say the leafs fans on this site is the most unknowlegdeable hockey fans , and when reading some posts i do agree, i just hate some of you leaf fans putting the rest of us down , and trust me the ones that think their the smartest on this site is the worst fan here
Oh ya, your one of the very few people here i've ever attacked. Seems like NO ONE on these boards cares much for you,so drop it.

Like everyone else here has said, you're a little kid that only cares about goons.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
We may, but at the same time "it takes two to tango". Recently I've been in several arguments with Messanger and Go Pierre Hedin, but if Messanger and GOPH weren't as arguementive, stuborn and have just as strong opinions as I do there would be no argument, I can't have one with myself. Its not a case of "this person, this person and this person" start all the arguments, if no one argued with "us" there wouldn't be any arguments.

Yes, it takes two to tangle but.... (and this is not aimed at you personally)

provocation stimulates retaliation. Argument, even strong and passionate argument, will stimulate differences and that is one of the best things about this board. But you must admit there are posts whose primary intention is not to provoke thought but to provoke anger and retaliation and there are those who prefer attention, even if it is negative attention.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Epoch

Quote:
pathetic
Sure,thats your answer to everything.

You know i'm right.

Closed Thread