HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Draft: 46 down

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Dan

vCash: 500
Draft: 46 down

Based on the current and projected draft orders, which mean nothing, our first round pick should fall in the ten to fifteen range. The top tier of Ovechkin will be gone. The next tier of Malkin, Barker, Olesz, Schremp, and Wolski will likely be gone. Right now, some of these third tier guys will probably be among what we have to chose from. They include, O'Neill, Stafford, Ladd, Chipchura, Smid, Kaspar, Tukonen, Picard, and Bolland among others. Of course, the U-18's have not been played and they have a big impact on the draft. Following the draft, I think opinions are changing about it's quality. It may not be as deep as 2003, but it's no 1997 like it has been compared to. Questions for discussion: Where do you think we finish? Top 10? 10-15 range? 15-20? Any player names you think the Coyoes will be interested in that range? And did anyone see the Top Prospects game last night? If so, who impressed you?

Code:
Current draft order (pre-lottery):
Pos Team         GP  PTS
1*  Pittsburgh   48   30
2*  Chicago      48   34
3*  Washington   48   35
4*  Columbus     47   36
5*  Anaheim      48   41
6*  Buffalo      48   42
7*  Carolina     48   43
8*  Florida      48   43
9*  Edmonton     48   47
10* NY Rangers   47   47
11* Phoenix      46   47
12* Minnesota    49   48
13* Atlanta      48   48
14* NY Islanders 47   49
15* Dallas       49   50

Projected draft order (pre-lottery):
Pos  Team	 PTS
1*   Pittsburgh	  51
2*   Chicago	  58
3*   Washington	  60
4*   Columbus	  63
5*   Anaheim	  70
6*   Buffalo	  72
7*   Carolina	  73
8*   Florida	  73
9*   Edmonton	  80
10*  Minnesota	  80
11*  NY Rangers	  82
12*  Atlanta	  82
13*  Phoenix	  84
14*  Dallas 	  84
15   NY Islanders 85

Old
01-22-2004, 11:38 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Do you think the Coyotes could try to move up in the draft order through trades?
As it appears that the top 5-6 prospects for this year look seriously promising and could that be a possibility?

Old
01-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Do you think the Coyotes could try to move up in the draft order through trades?
As it appears that the top 5-6 prospects for this year look seriously promising and could that be a possibility?
Yes, that is a possibility. They proved this when they moved up to get Sjostrom. Like with Sjostrom, it all depends on who has fallen and if the team we are trading with is willing to move down. As far as assets go, we could have three second rounders this year to do it.

Old
01-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Where will we finish? In the 12-16 picks *again* like we always seem to.. the kind of prospects that get pegged there are so frustrating.

My personal preference would be to go for a top defenseman as there seems to be an impressive number of good ones this year. Perhaps Green, Thelen or Fistric. There are lots of Euro D's on the rise too - Smid, D-Willaume, Fransson, Meszaros, Lyamin.

But I think Coyotes would like another forward.. I would guess they would be looking at the NCAA - Stafford, Pineault, Booth, Hensick.

I *really* do not want them to spend those 2nd round picks. Lately every single one of our 2nd and 3rds have all looked excellent ones thus far (Spiller, Podlesak, Leneveu, Callahan, M.Jones, Redenbach, Pestunov). Our record is much better there than in the 1st round and I wish they would try and give Draper more picks in that area. This draft doesnt look all that deep but it does seem to have a lot of wild card prospects perfect for the home run.

Old
01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Where will we finish? In the 12-16 picks *again* like we always seem to.. the kind of prospects that get pegged there are so frustrating.

My personal preference would be to go for a top defenseman as there seems to be an impressive number of good ones this year. Perhaps Green, Thelen or Fistric. There are lots of Euro D's on the rise too - Smid, D-Willaume, Fransson, Meszaros, Lyamin.

But I think Coyotes would like another forward.. I would guess they would be looking at the NCAA - Stafford, Pineault, Booth, Hensick.

I *really* do not want them to spend those 2nd round picks. Lately every single one of our 2nd and 3rds have all looked excellent ones thus far (Spiller, Podlesak, Leneveu, Callahan, M.Jones, Redenbach, Pestunov). Our record is much better there than in the 1st round and I wish they would try and give Draper more picks in that area. This draft doesnt look all that deep but it does seem to have a lot of wild card prospects perfect for the home run.
we may run into a situation where we have too many prospects playing in the AHL. Some might argue we are already there.

What we need is elite first line talent. I'm not opposed to packaging up some assets in order to acquire it.

Old
01-22-2004, 04:30 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
we may run into a situation where we have too many prospects playing in the AHL. Some might argue we are already there.

What we need is elite first line talent. I'm not opposed to packaging up some assets in order to acquire it.
I don't think anyone is. We have a lot of depth on the farm, in juniors, and in the college ranks. Our depth is astounding, and I could see the Coyotes trading into the top 6 or 7 picks. I don't, however, think they have the assets for Ovechkin, and frankly, I'm glad. I do not believe the hype about him being great. He'll be good, but I don't believe he will be the best player in the draft. If it were up to me, I'd hold onto my assets and make a push for Crosby (and we all know Gretzky loves the kid).

Old
01-22-2004, 04:41 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I don't think anyone is. We have a lot of depth on the farm, in juniors, and in the college ranks. Our depth is astounding, and I could see the Coyotes trading into the top 6 or 7 picks. I don't, however, think they have the assets for Ovechkin, and frankly, I'm glad. I do not believe the hype about him being great. He'll be good, but I don't believe he will be the best player in the draft. If it were up to me, I'd hold onto my assets and make a push for Crosby (and we all know Gretzky loves the kid).

If we trade Burke we might end up with both. (sarcasm directed mainly at yet another Sean Burke trade value thread)

I notice that everyone seems to be clamoring for depth defensemen (reports of the Rangers looking for guys). I wonder how long Brad Ference is with the team. He might actually fetch a premium return.

Old
01-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk

I would argue you cant have too much talent the cream always rises to the top in the end. We were overloaded with goaltenders but Bierk made it to the NHL from the ECHL.

I guess one reason Im dubious about moving up was the example of moving up to get Sjostrom. While I have always liked him I dont think he is the elite talent we need. It seems to me it costs a bomb to get into where I'd like to be (top 5) and I figure you may as well pick 20th as 10th after that. Havlat, Stewart, Gagne are good examples. Get your scouting right and keep that second pick and you could earn yourself a Redenbach or Leneveu on top of it that you might have otherwise wasted.

PhoPhan - Im not sure I'd call it astounding.. the Panthers or Penguins have astounding depth.. Our depth is much better than just two years ago but I'd like to see more and Im sure Springfield would too.

Old
01-22-2004, 06:22 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
If the CBA is sorted out, i think the only way of getting Crosby would be to have an horrible season next year and win the lottery draft. I don't think anyone is going to trade the first 2005 pick whatever happens.
But i entirely agree that between Ovechkin and Crosby, no doubts that the Coyotes management prefer the Rimouski player. The general direction of the franchise at the moment is to go for hardworking in the corners/full of stamina/fast skater players, description which is more of the north american than the european type of players... which may be translated by less improvisation but more consistency in every game.

Closed Thread