HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/7 - Rangers Send Down Callahan (updated)

Old
01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Not surprised

01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
There is no one on defense to call up right now. Baranka's out with an undisclosed injury. Hutch and Pock need to clear re-entry waivers and therefore will likely only get the call if the Rangers get desperate. Neither Potter nor Sauer have played well enough to consider it and neither is an upgrade on everyone's favorite whipping boy right now.
According to Howlings Baranka should be back real soon.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...oore-high.html

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Good, now Cally can get some real playing time again.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
betts -5, (not so bad), hollweg -8, 0rr -12. some shut down line. other than betts this line is good for a stupid penalty a game. and i don't want to hear well they play against other teams' top lines. well then i guess they aren't doing their job as a "shut down" line. and i do know other people on the team are just as bad with the plus/minus but when the 4th line gets the least amount of ice time on the team and they have the worst plus/minus that says all you need to know right there. i want to reiterate again i would give callahan a try on the 4th line eventually if/when he's back up

Using +/- to gauge the 4th line isn't the best idea. They may only play 10 minutes a game but its usually always against the other team's first line and their job is not to score so considering both of those, a -5, -8, and -12 isn't bad at all.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He needs to score some goals down in Hartford and regain his confidence. He hasn't scored since opening night against Florida, right?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:05 PM
DontStepanMe

Unfortunately NYR94 you are correct. That was his only goal this season.

Old
01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Unfortunately NYR94 you are correct. That was his only goal this season.
But it was a really good shot

01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyR424 View Post
But it was a really good shot
he had injuries before maybe since he had another knee injury maybe it shot down his confindence, at least if Callahan aint score u still notice him. He still plays physical and works hard. Too bad we cant send Hollweg down.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
he had injuries before maybe since he had another knee injury maybe it shot down his confindence, at least if Callahan aint score u still notice him. He still plays physical and works hard. Too bad we cant send Hollweg down.
Big deal he worked hard. Thye all do. Except for two 2-goal games (routs) last year, he has been a zero offensively, healthy or not healthy. And he has become invisible this year. He's an AHL player right now and is where he belongs.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Bury Your Head

Personally, with some of the strange lines some of you guys have come up with, what with ROOKIES playing out of position and such, I'm finally left with the idea that you guys play too much video games.

This isn't NHL 08 for the PS3. This is real life. We all know the lines are going to be the same (unless Shanny and Straka are seriously hurt), and Callahan being sent down isn't exactly what I'd call a major move.

Or maybe you guys have great imaginations!

Just joking around with you fellas....still depressed over our losing streak.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
betts -5, (not so bad), hollweg -8, 0rr -12. some shut down line. other than betts this line is good for a stupid penalty a game. and i don't want to hear well they play against other teams' top lines. well then i guess they aren't doing their job as a "shut down" line. and i do know other people on the team are just as bad with the plus/minus but when the 4th line gets the least amount of ice time on the team and they have the worst plus/minus that says all you need to know right there. i want to reiterate again i would give callahan a try on the 4th line eventually if/when he's back up
who says they are a shut down line, other then internet Ranger fans. You may not want to hear it, but it's the truth that they have been our best defensive option and have done a good job at it..Yes, they can't score for crap and why the minuse but they do a damn good job of keepingthe other teams top lines off t he board..And what other 4th line in the league has that challenge? With them playing good defense, it frees up the other lines to focus on scoring but they, especially the 3rd line, have failed too often..

Yes, I'd much rather have the 4th line playing 5-7 mins a night banging and providing energy, but tuntil we get a decent 3rd line there's not much that can be done..Maybe dropping Avery down will do that

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Petemo

Quote:
The 4th line has zero chance of NOT being minus players.

They don't score, they're not supposed to. Therfore more GA than GF, seriously people think they are supposed to be +'s?

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
who says they are a shut down line, other then internet Ranger fans. You may not want to hear it, but it's the truth that they have been our best defensive option and have done a good job at it..Yes, they can't score for crap and why the minuse but they do a damn good job of keepingthe other teams top lines off t he board..And what other 4th line in the league has that challenge? With them playing good defense, it frees up the other lines to focus on scoring but they, especially the 3rd line, have failed too often..

Yes, I'd much rather have the 4th line playing 5-7 mins a night banging and providing energy, but tuntil we get a decent 3rd line there's not much that can be done..Maybe dropping Avery down will do that
Bingo that's what I've been calling for. Avery isn't a second line player. He is a third liner. But unfortunately there really isn't anybody in the system who can fill in the 2nd line. We need to make a trade for a legit 2nd line winger or center. REally want a playmaking center to slide Drury to wing where he would be more effective.

Old
01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Fletch

I'd like Avery on a third line too...

with Dubi - think they work well together and provide decent balance.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Straka - Gomez - Jagr
Prucha - Drury - Shanny
Avery - Dubi - Cally

Why not?

Then again, why would you separate Shanny & Avery?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 01:43 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Is Sauer really < Strudwick?
Right now I'd have to say yes. He hasn't looked nearly as good lately as he did earlier in the season. I don't know if its the grind of the pro season, a confidence issue (he's put a couple goals in on his own goalie lately) or something else. His first pass isn't nearly as sharp as it was early on and he's been caught running around in his own zone a number of times.

Strudwick may not be a great defenseman, but he's steady. He's also the first guy to stand up for his teammates on the ice, a trait this team has been in short supply of lately. I have no problem with him filling in until a better option is found.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Straka - Gomez - Jagr
Prucha - Drury - Shanny
Avery - Dubi - Cally

Why not?

Then again, why would you separate Shanny & Avery?
Because Shanahan doesn't need Avery, Callahan needs Avery, and Dubinsky would do. That would be one hell of a line if they get scoring intact.

Avery can't hit the net worth a ****, he shouldn't be on the 2nd line, if Prucha continues to light the lamp let him play there or hell bring Dawes up to play the second line, we've seen what he has done with top 6 minutes. Avery really doesn't belong there anymore.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPacPBH View Post

They don't score, they're not supposed to. Therfore more GA than GF, seriously people think they are supposed to be +'s?
Well, ok, but the Ottawa Senators who have two legitimate checking lines (albeit at the expense of secondary offense) have ZERO minus players on their current roster.. not to mention a pretty damn good coach, which is why they're atop the conference right now.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
This news isn't surprising. Cally just hasn't done anything on offense. It's just a bump in the road for him and I don't expect him to be down there very long. But at the moment, I think this is going to help him alot.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
eco's bones

Sometimes I think our 4th line gets so much ice-time not just to check other teams scorers but also because Hollweg and Orr provide some kind of physical game which the rest of our forward lineup lacks. Who would do any hitting if not Hollweg and Orr? Dubinsky and Avery and that's about it. Orr of course does not skate too well--so I guess we get what we get. As far as being hockey players though it about ends there with the H & the O part of that line. How long will it take for a Dupont or a Byers--players with size and grit and at least a little skill--to make our team? This is a big problem with our team--it's not going to win games by grinding them out.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 04:53 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
About ****ing time

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
What is it with everybody wanting play young or marignal players out of position? Moore has played his entire career at RW and C, you don't throw him on a new position (LW) in the NHL unless you want him to fail..WHy, if you change the 4th line, Moore on RW and Holly on LW is a better option.
bc i would rather have orr in the lineup then hollweg... if moore cant play the left side then fine dont play him there... its an adjustment switching wings, but its not as if he has only played center and not a wing... yes he has only played right in the past (or so i believe), but hopefully he would be able to adjust to the left side...

otherwise let our other nhl 4th line right winger switch to the left side...

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Bingo that's what I've been calling for. Avery isn't a second line player. He is a third liner. But unfortunately there really isn't anybody in the system who can fill in the 2nd line. We need to make a trade for a legit 2nd line winger or center. REally want a playmaking center to slide Drury to wing where he would be more effective.
No ****. I'm tired of hearing how Avery is a 2nd line player. Just because he's a 3rd liner doesn't make him unimportant. He can still bring all his energy on the 3rd line, and chip in for a goal every now and then (like 3rd liners are expected to do.) I guess the problem has been that we don't have another top 6 guy to replace him with.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
IMO, it is not so much to rid of Cally, as to showcase Dawes and/or Moore for possible trade. I like Vyborny gossip.

I personally don't think Dawes will be traded.

His career is to me very similar to Jiri Hudler's from Detroit as is his game (and his frame), maybe hudler is a little bit more of a playmaker than a scorer. Hudler also looked like the next Gretzky in czech Extraliga and as a 18 years old he almost won the scoring race. Then he went oversees (read AHL) and was always more than ppg player in AHL in Grand Rapids but he never had much succes in NHL. Now after few yers he is, much like zetterberg or others in Detroit, slowly becoming stable part of Wings team.

I can see Dawes's career to copy that of Hudler.

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPacPBH View Post

In a normal case scenario you would be wrong because 4th lines are usually out there against each other. The problem is that this line is our co 3rd line, not our 4th line.

Your defensive line, if nothing else, is supposed to have excellent skaters on it. Orr should not be on a defensive line. He should be on a true 4th line or not dressed at all.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote