HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If McCabe Played Like This Every Night...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
  #1
PhillyFrisco
Registered User
 
PhillyFrisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
If McCabe Played Like This Every Night...

He would be considered underpaid. Consistency is a big problem for him. When he goes cold it gets so bad that you want him out of the lineup but when he's hot it improves our defense by a mile.

PhillyFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
  #2
Fire Wilson
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
He would be considered underpaid. Consistency is a big problem for him. When he goes cold it gets so bad that you want him out of the lineup but when he's hot it improves our defense by a mile.
after that buffalo game... he played like this every night

Fire Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
  #3
Roo
Registered User
 
Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesatoskala View Post
after that buffalo game... he played like this every night
+1

he's been solid all season, except for those first 10 games or so

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
  #4
mlugia
That other guy
 
mlugia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: S. Korea
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Trigger happy fans, really.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
  #5
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
He would be considered underpaid. Consistency is a big problem for him. When he goes cold it gets so bad that you want him out of the lineup but when he's hot it improves our defense by a mile.
He pretty much does play like that every night, soon as the blind hate "OMG big contract" googles are off.. not directed at you Philly..

__________________
bWo: If you don't know, you should know... Buds WORLD Order Constitution
Adj: "Squiffy" - stupefied by a chemical substance (esp. alcohol)

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:02 PM
  #6
Acekicker123
Registered User
 
Acekicker123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
He pretty much does play like that every night, soon as the blind hate "OMG big contract" googles are off.. not directed at you Philly..
Yup exactly. McCabe is a very good defenseman in this league, and this is when he's not putting up monster points either.

He's pretty much the same player he was before that contract except for some offensive struggles this season, except back back thenToronto worshipped him like a god.

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
  #7
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
He pretty much does play like that every night, soon as the blind hate "OMG big contract" googles are off.. not directed at you Philly..
And that's much of the problem surround him, people jump all over that contract, but it's really not even that bad. Look at some other players that make as much, or more. Kimmo Timonen, makes 6.3 million a year, and is overpaid, in my eyes.

McCabe has been very good, and surprisingly he looked good tonight, in his first game. I didn't expect him to look bad, but if he can keep this up, people will be lining up, to take him off our hands. Expect the Rangers to be right there.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
  #8
Leafer 21
Registered User
 
Leafer 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
He's been playing like this since he got back from first injury earlier in the year.

Leafer 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
  #9
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
And that's much of the problem surround him, people jump all over that contract, but it's really not even that bad. Look at some other players that make as much, or more. Kimmo Timonen, makes 6.3 million a year, and is overpaid, in my eyes.

McCabe has been very good, and surprisingly he looked good tonight, in his first game. I didn't expect him to look bad, but if he can keep this up, people will be lining up, to take him off our hands. Expect the Rangers to be right there.

And some experts suggest buying him out?

Of course, they are expert writers, not expert hockey people.

Not tradeable? How many teams wouldn't take McCabe for less than 5 million a season for the next 3 years? Baaaa, baaaa, baaaa. Oh, I see the flock over there.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
  #10
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!
 
AlienWorkShop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
If McCabe wasn't injured, we'd probably only be a couple points back of 8th right now...

(Whether that would be a good or bad thing depends on who you ask)

AlienWorkShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
  #11
Sportacus
:)
 
Sportacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
If McCabe wasn't injured, we'd probably only be a couple points back of 8th right now...

(Whether that would be a good or bad thing depends on who you ask)
Remember; With McCabe is without Woz. we could be even better.

__________________
Based on Japanese History
Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
  #12
mlugia
That other guy
 
mlugia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: S. Korea
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
If McCabe wasn't injured, we'd probably only be a couple points back of 8th right now...

(Whether that would be a good or bad thing depends on who you ask)
Totally called it when he went down!

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
  #13
Shak19
Registered User
 
Shak19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
McCabe is a good dman. Yes he's overpaid and yes he's struggled this year but when he and Kaberle play 25+ minutes a game the team has played well. When McCabe got hurt this team went downhill.

McCabe plays best when he gets plenty of minutes, and he should play 25+ minutes a game because he's making 6-7 million to be a premier dman.

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:39 PM
  #14
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,907
vCash: 500
The key word in the title is 'if.' Often McCabe will play well, but there are nights where he just ***** the bed over and over.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:46 PM
  #15
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
as good as hes played of late, i still want him gone

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:33 AM
  #16
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,953
vCash: 500
McCabe plays like this in 95% of his games.

Actually, in most of them - not only does he play like this defensively, but he adds a good deal of offense as well.

and he's obviously not underpaid, when he's as good or better (in some cases much better) than all of these guys:

Redden 6.5
Jovanovski 6.5
Timonen 6.3
Rafalski 6.0
Blake 6.0
Markov 5.75
Schneider 5.625
Hamrlik 5.5
Souray 5.4


Last edited by zeke: 02-08-2008 at 12:39 AM.
zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
  #17
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,672
vCash: 500
If McCabe Played Like This Every Night...

nobody would complain about him.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:00 AM
  #18
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
He would be considered underpaid. Consistency is a big problem for him. When he goes cold it gets so bad that you want him out of the lineup but when he's hot it improves our defense by a mile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesatoskala View Post
after that buffalo game... he played like this every night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
He pretty much does play like that every night, soon as the blind hate "OMG big contract" googles are off.. not directed at you Philly..
COME ON NOW.

How many points did he get last night?

McCabe's 1st and foremost job is racking up points along with playing solid defensively. While he may have had a good game defensively last night, he still had 0 points.

His PPG pace this season is .43.
His PP point per game is .31.

Here are his previous totals from the last two seasons, and the reason WHY he was signed to such a massive contract:


2006/2007: PP Pace: .42 , PPG pace: .70
2005/2006: PP Pace: .62 , PPG pace: .93

See the difference?????

If McCabe were putting up totals like this season over the last 2 seasons do you actually think he would have been signed to 6mil? HELL NO. He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on during contract negotiations.

Far too many people are content with him not roofing the puck over Toskala's shoulder or his usual turnover at the neutral zone. Everyone has an off season BUT to actually be content with what he's done this season at 6MIL is beyond compression.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 01:23 AM
  #19
Fenton
Registered User
 
Fenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
Biggest problem McCabe has is that (much like Gill) when he makes mistakes, they are glaring mistakes. Obvious, right-in-front-of-you, don't-need-hockey-knowledge-to-recognize mistakes. When he makes a mistake, he looks dumb, silly, overpaid, etc. When he makes good plays, he generally makes them look effortless.

I still think he is overpaid though.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:24 AM
  #20
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheleafs View Post
COME ON NOW.

How many points did he get last night?

McCabe's 1st and foremost job is racking up points along with playing solid defensively. While he may have had a good game defensively last night, he still had 0 points.

His PPG pace this season is .43.
His PP point per game is .31.

Here are his previous totals from the last two seasons, and the reason WHY he was signed to such a massive contract:


2006/2007: PP Pace: .42 , PPG pace: .70
2005/2006: PP Pace: .62 , PPG pace: .93

See the difference?????

If McCabe were putting up totals like this season over the last 2 seasons do you actually think he would have been signed to 6mil? HELL NO. He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on during contract negotiations.

Far too many people are content with him not roofing the puck over Toskala's shoulder or his usual turnover at the neutral zone. Everyone has an off season BUT to actually be content with what he's done this season at 6MIL is beyond compression.

I honestly think he's a decent defensive defenceman. His play in his own zone is better than anyone else we have. He hits, blocks, and has an all round edge that's lacking elsewhere on the D short of Coli. We're way too soft, that's an element that helps.

His offensive ability hasn't gone away. The PP looked better (not saying much) with him and Kaberle (once they went to it) back out there. Team ain't good. Offense can suffer from that, individual d-play doesn't.

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
  #21
Steeltown
Registered User
 
Steeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
McCabe's problem isn't ability, it's emotional. He takes criticism harder than the next guy, and turns into the complete opposite with praise. Obviously with his salary we can never just let him do his thing... but he really does respond to positive support immensely.

Steeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 02:54 AM
  #22
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
McCabe plays like this in 95% of his games.
No he doesn't. 95% of his games are marred with mental mistakes and blooper reel goofs. Even games where he is praised for his defense, if you actually WATCH his game you'll see mistakes that we're lucky were covered for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
and he's obviously not underpaid, when he's as good or better (in some cases much better) than all of these guys:

Rafalski 6.0
Blake 6.0
Markov 5.75
NO

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 03:19 AM
  #23
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
the thing with McCabe is you don't realize it when he is gone, but when he comes back this is a much better hockey team.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 03:31 AM
  #24
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
No he doesn't. 95% of his games are marred with mental mistakes and blooper reel goofs. Even games where he is praised for his defense, if you actually WATCH his game you'll see mistakes that we're lucky were covered for him.
I watch. I disagree. Yes he does almost always play like this.

What mistakes? He rarely makes a bad pinch, wins battles along the boards and in the corners, plays top and tough minutes, hits better than 18 other players in the lineup, has the skill to hit the right (appropriate that is) winger along the boards affecting getting it out of the d-zone, and stands up for his mates to boot.

Problems start when he's the one being depended upon to be the transition d-man, he can't be that guy. It was the problem last season, and early this season, and it's why Kaberle and McCabe should never have been separated, ever. They compliment each other perfectly.

Move Kubina, keep them together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
the thing with McCabe is you don't realize it when he is gone, but when he comes back this is a much better hockey team.
And that's all there is to it really.

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 06:54 AM
  #25
It Kills Me
Registered User
 
It Kills Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
NO
Rob Blake? YES.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.