HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury-A winger? Yeah, right

Old
05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Chris Drury-A winger? Yeah, right

I really, for the life of me, can't figure out why anyone wants to move this guy to wing...

Yeah, I know... he doesn't play your typical center game. But guess what? He's one of the best faceoff guys in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. You gotta find a playmaking-style winger to play with him, not the other way around.

In fact, on a slight tangential topic, both Korpikoski and Anisimov need to convert to wing and they should if they really want to make this team long term. It makes far more sense than moving Drury to the side to make room for either of them.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

He started his career on the wing. Hence the reason people want to move him there.

Unless they changed the rules this morning, wingers can take faceoffs if they want to.

Korpedo will be a winger. AA will be centering Cherepanov's line in a couple years.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He started his career on the wing. Hence the reason people want to move him there.

Unless they changed the rules this morning, wingers can take faceoffs if they want to.
He started his career as a winger for the same reason our guys need to. He was coming into a team that was already strong down the middle.

Wingers can take faceoffs, you're right. Does it really make sense to have a winger take all that line's faceoffs? Doesn't that make complications for offensive zone roles and defensive zone coverage?

Old
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
TheZherdev

Well drury started off at the wing. Also with the emegence of dubinsky we have maybe too much depth at center? Like what are the rangers going to do with a valuable asset like Anisimov? Also playing the wing doesnt mean he cant take faceoffs. He can take them and then switch the guy thats playing center. Plus it fills two holes at once. Gomez needs a scorer and Drury needs a playmaker. Also in 2 years if lecavier hits the open market the rangers will have to take a swing at him. It really comes to depth and in the future the rangers may have too much of it.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Maybe because when Colorado won the Cup Drury WAS ON THE WING.

And we have a highly skilled center in Anisimov who SHOULD take that 3rd line position.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:00 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

The defensive responsibilities that a center has, combined with the defensive skill and prowess that Drury has, lead me to believe that he's better served as a center.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
NYR Viper

i think he will be kept at center for as long as possible but i see him moving to the wing of gomez's line in the near future....anisimov will be ready very soon and the other two centers dont play wing....something will have to move...it will be drury

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Escudero

Send a message via AIM to Escudero
as a vow of confidence here, I'm pretty certain we will win a cup during Drury's time here. Winning the cup once with a team that wasn't even a franchise when you were born is one thing, but winning for the team you cheered for growing up is another.

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Well drury started off at the wing. Also with the emegence of dubinsky we have maybe too much depth at center? Like what are the rangers going to do with a valuable asset like Anisimov? Also playing the wing doesnt mean he cant take faceoffs. He can take them and then switch the guy thats playing center. Plus it fills two holes at once. Gomez needs a scorer and Drury needs a playmaker. Also in 2 years if lecavier hits the open market the rangers will have to take a swing at him. It really comes to depth and in the future the rangers may have too much of it.
How many faceoffs do you think Drury would take on a line with Gomez, considering that Gomez is also a great faceoff man? Besides which, Drury isn't a speed player, which is what Gomez needs on his line.

The Rangers aren't going to want Vinny. He doesn't fit the way the team is constructed.

The valuable asset, Anisimov, should be moved to wing, even if it's just temporary. You know who else did that? Chris Drury.

I love what Dubinsky did this year, but he could easily take a step back next year, like a lot of sophomore players do. There is no way we have too much depth at center.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think he will be kept at center for as long as possible but i see him moving to the wing of gomez's line in the near future....anisimov will be ready very soon and the other two centers dont play wing....something will have to move...it will be drury
Lemme put it to you this way...

In what world is Anisimov a better NHL player than Drury that we're talking about moving Drury to the wing NOW.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Either way, Drury moving to wing or not, Anisimov should get his shot next year out of camp.

He is entirely too skilled to be held back because of his position.

If Anisimov needs to be switched to wing, then so be it. If Drury needs to be switched, then so be it.

Either way, Anisimov should get a spot out of camp if he shows he is ready.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I can only guess that this thread had something to do with my out of the box thought of signing Bobby Holik and moving Drury to the wing.

My reasoning:

1) Holik adds size and grit which the Rangers need from their forwards.

2) He is a shout down center (eventhough he wasn't used that way when he was here) that can match up against and hopefully wear down a Crosby or Malkin by being physical.

3) Drury should good chemistry with Gomez. By most people's account finding a winger who can score to play with Gomez is a priority this offseason.

4) To me Drury is better (and a better option) than 99% of the UFA wingers that are out there. And yes, he can still take face-offs.

5) I believe that Holik would come cheaper than the likes of Rolston, Ryder and certainly Hossa. And for less years.

6) With that money you save you can address issues on the blueline and maybe even the third or fourth line (Jarko Ruutu as a thought).

Again, not saying it's my first choice, but there is at least a modicum of rationale to it

05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Either way, Drury moving to wing or not, Anisimov should get his shot next year out of camp.

He is entirely too skilled to be held back because of his position.

If Anisimov needs to be switched to wing, then so be it. If Drury needs to be switched, then so be it.

Either way, Anisimov should get a spot out of camp if he shows he is ready.
I definitely agree with you there. I just don't see him as being a better option than Drury at center. At least not yet and probably not for a few years.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I can only guess that this thread had something to do with my out of the box thought of signing Bobby Holik and moving Drury to the wing.
Actually, this is response to seeing the idea of moving Drury to wing on numerous occasions, well before you brought up Holik. I don't want to address the Holik issue in this thread, aside from saying I think it's a bad idea.

Quote:
3) Drury should good chemistry with Gomez. By most people's account finding a winger who can score to play with Gomez is a priority this offseason.
I don't remember when Drury showed chemistry with Gomez except sometimes on the powerplay, so forgive me if I'm not on board with this one. Besides which, as I mentioned, Gomez needs a speed wingers and while Drury has wheels, that's not where his game is.

Quote:
And yes, he can still take face-offs.
Not if he's on a line with Gomez.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Actually Not if he's on a line with Gomez.
Why not?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Why not?
Okay, fine maybe he does. But then you're wasting Gomez's faceoff ability. It may be a more defensive team than 05-06, but it's still a puck possession style. Wouldn't a smarter use of our assets be to make sure all of our guys are doing what they're elite at? Gomez was #30 in faceoff % in the regular season. Isn't having 2 top 30 guys taking half, or more, of your faceoffs better than having one?

Old
05-06-2008, 10:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Okay, fine maybe he does. But then you're wasting Gomez's faceoff ability. It may be a more defensive team than 05-06, but it's still a puck possession style. Wouldn't a smarter use of our assets be to make sure all of our guys are doing what they're elite at? Gomez was #30 in faceoff % in the regular season. Isn't having 2 top 30 guys taking half, or more, of your faceoffs better than having one?
Bobby Holik was 4th in the league in faceoff % .

Old
05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
actually, if you have the skill to have 5 centers in your lineup and one is a much better winger than the other then he should play wing, no matter who he is....anisimov is good defensively and has great size and is improving on faceoffs....drury has the speed and the vision to keep up with gomez and they seem to feed off of eachother which is something else you need to look for.....im not saying he should be moved right away, but it would kill two birds with one stone...getting a solid young center with great talent up on the team and solving a first line winger spot

Old
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
actually, if you have the skill to have 5 centers in your lineup and one is a much better winger than the other then he should play wing, no matter who he is....anisimov is good defensively and has great size and is improving on faceoffs....drury has the speed and the vision to keep up with gomez and they seem to feed off of eachother which is something else you need to look for.....im not saying he should be moved right away, but it would kill two birds with one stone...getting a solid young center with great talent up on the team and solving a first line winger spot
Cuz that's exactly what the Avalanche did when Drury, who was a center before he was a winger, came up to the team. Sakic, Forsberg, Yelle and Reinprecht were the centers. You're basically saying that Drury should've been at center and Forsberg or Sakic should've moved to wing, although this is on a smaller scale since Gomez and Drury aren't Forsberg and Sakic.

And I still don't remember when Drury and Gomez showed chemistry...

Quote:
Bobby Holik was 4th in the league in faceoff % .
Still a bad idea

Old
05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Cuz that's exactly what the Avalanche did when Drury, who was a center before he was a winger, came up to the team. Sakic, Forsberg, Yelle and Reinprecht were the centers. You're basically saying that Drury should've been at center and Forsberg or Sakic should've moved to wing, although this is on a smaller scale since Gomez and Drury aren't Forsberg and Sakic.

And I still don't remember when Drury and Gomez showed chemistry...

Still a bad idea
Power play.....and all im saying is drury would work well with gomez and anisimov is going to be the future of the rangers AT Center

Old
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
The Thomas J.*

I can't see Holik coming back to NY. I can't see Drury going to the wing on Gomez's line, mainly because I don't ever remember Drury & Gomez ever having this great chemistry you speak of.

If you must have Drury on the wing than I sugguest
Put Drury on Dubi's wing & re-sign Jagr.Instead of signing Holik, have Kropo or AA slide into that 3rd line center spot, put Dawes on Gomez's wing, sign Hossa (the good one), Resign Avery & have him play on the 3rd line with Korpo or AA with Cally on the other side, 4th line is Betts, Prucha, Sjostrom/Orr/Holloweg

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I can't see Holik coming back to NY
Why wouldn't he? He raves about the organization and how they treat players. He's going to want to go to a team that can win a Cup. And the Rangers are that team (this time).

Again, not sure I'm going to say its going to happen. Or even that I want it to. Just an interesting alternative to getting into a bidding war for guys in an underewhelming UFA crop.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:38 PM
squishy

Anisimov will ultimately play center. His game is far better suited for it than for playing wing. Whether he has to spend some time at wing before he gets a spot there remains to be seen.

Korpikoski's natural position is wing, so there will be no issue with him playing there whatsoever. Still, the added flexibility he offers by being able to play all three positions makes him extremely valuable.

Honestly, I think Dubi is better better suited to be moved to wing than either Drury or Anisimov. But we'll have to wait and see how things work out -- this likely isn't a question that will need to be answered at the start of next season, because Anisimov is very likely to spend at least part of next season in Hartford. One thing's for sure, there's no such thing as "too deep" at center.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Why wouldn't he? He raves about the organization and how they treat players. He's going to want to go to a team that can win a Cup. And the Rangers are that team (this time).

Again, not sure I'm going to say its going to happen. Or even that I want it to. Just an interesting alternative to getting into a bidding war for guys in an underewhelming UFA crop.
I was not aware he still felt positive about the orginization. While I think it as a last option/back up plan it could work I would rather we continue to move forward from our Pre-lock out past.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Anisimov will ultimately play center. His game is far better suited for it than for playing wing. Whether he has to spend some time at wing before he gets a spot there remains to be seen.

, so there will be no issue with him playing there whatsoever. Still, the added flexibility he offers by being able to play all three positions makes him extremely valuable.

Honestly, I think Dubi is better better suited to be moved to wing than either Drury or Anisimov. But we'll have to wait and see how things work out -- this likely isn't a question that will need to be answered at the start of next season, because Anisimov is very likely to spend at least part of next season in Hartford. One thing's for sure, there's no such thing as "too deep" at center.
Again, I was not aware of thatr either, than these are issues we can work out from within, Lets resign jagr, pursue Hossa or try to get Kovochuk, in Kovo's case, if we can sign him long term that slight over payment is fine, the system can recover quickly.