HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. San Jose Sharks | 01/05/08 | 10:30 PM EST |

Old
01-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Hugg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Jacket View Post
I'm just curious, have we ever won a barometer game? Like ever?
No.

But that's because it's a barometer game and losing it is exactly where we are.

We're not good enough to beat teams like San Jose on the road and winning it, to me, would have been a fluke. An awesome one, but a fluke none the less. This team is playing to its abilities, it's a fringe playoff club.

You are what you are.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:01 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Jacket View Post
I'm just curious, have we ever won a barometer game? Like ever?
Not this year, on the road, from what I remember. Home we are doing decent on those barometer games, like the Avs.

There we 6 (road), that I marked for this month. We are 0-2 thus far.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
The old Jackets would have lost this game 4-0.

I'm glad that the boys battled back in the third, but I would have liked to have seen some of the same intensity in the first and second.

1 game in the next 4 days --- so rest up and let's kick some ass.

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
cpmCBJ

damn...wouldve liked to get a point at least out of this game since everyone else won last night

cpmCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
No.

We're not good enough to beat teams like San Jose on the road and winning it, to me, would have been a fluke. An awesome one, but a fluke none the less. This team is playing to its abilities, it's a fringe playoff club.

You are what you are.
Nice post. Concise, accurate, not laced with wither glee or venom. And almost went Denny Green.

Old
01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Pluckfur

Was there talk about this being a barometer game? There must have been ... I missed it. I think barometer talk is now irrelevant in terms of this team and mostly for the reason Hugg stated: We are what we are. We know what this team can do and what they have to do in order to win every game ... so what exactly do we have left to measure? Just out of curiosity ... who said this was a barometer game? Hitch? I certainly hope not as that seems completely wrong. :shrug:

I wanted the two points so I mention the following only as an aside and as a further comment on Ren's post about commentators. All three sets of announcers this road trip were at times almost giddy about the quality of hockey game they were calling. "This is some great hockey" "exciting game" "quality entertainment" ... all in reference to games involving the Blue Jackets. I guess if there's a barometer worth reading for the Jackets at this point it would have to be the one measuring "respect" ... and at least in that aspect our boys seem to be making some headway in the league.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:27 PM
OUJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Was there talk about this being a barometer game? There must have been ... I missed it. I think barometer talk is now irrelevant in terms of this team and mostly for the reason Hugg stated: We are what we are. We know what this team can do and what they have to do in order to win every game ... so what exactly do we have left to measure? Just out of curiosity ... who said this was a barometer game? Hitch? I certainly hope not as that seems completely wrong. :shrug:

I wanted the two points so I mention the following only as an aside and as a further comment on Ren's post about commentators. All three sets of announcers this road trip were at times almost giddy about the quality of hockey game they were calling. "This is some great hockey" "exciting game" "quality entertainment" ... all in reference to games involving the Blue Jackets. I guess if there's a barometer worth reading for the Jackets at this point it would have to be the one measuring "respect" ... and at least in that aspect our boys seem to be making some headway in the league.

I agree. The broadcasters for FSN Bay Area were nothing but full of compliments for our guys. Words such as "tough to play against," "a handful," "playoff-caliber team" escaped their mouths--very nice to hear from guys that watch their team own us every team we step into their barn.

OUJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
KayZee13

Any updates on our boys?

Pazzy- illness? flu? 'Tis the season, eh?

Duvie- hurt from JR's hit? It hurt me to see him get hit like that, but when he played out the rest of the game, I breathed a sigh of relief!

Nikki- thank God he is in top form the way Hitch double-shifted him. He even came to aid in the scuffle at the net.

SOG- OK for both sides if we had only played 2 periods.

"You always make 100% of the shots you don't take."

KayZee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
It's called games that test yourselves against the better teams on the road. It's not anything Hitch said. However, I saw an article (or interview?) where Howson described who their evaluation of the Oiler teams in the past led to the decision to be a buyer or seller at the deadline.

If you don't think they coaches and management aren't looking at games like last night as important gauge on the realistic chances of us making the playoffs, I don't think you are giving them enough credit. Seems rather obvious, seeing as this is the beginning of our first real extended road trip of the year.

I won't say much more other then I could truely care less what the opposing teams annoucers say about our team. I appreciate they think we are a playoff caliber team, but beyond that it's fairly meaningless.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't look at games like the Ducks and the Sharks and acknowledge those are the types of teams we have to beat on the road, on a semi-consistant basis, to have a realistic shot at the playoffs. If I was to give an opinion after the first 3 games, I would put us on the seller list. I wasn't pleased at all.

Old
01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder. I remember one of my very first posts this year was about waking up after five seasons and realizing that we were the laughing stock of the league and absolutely NO ONE respected us at all. That's when I also realized that I'd been sold a bill of goods by "He-who-shall-not-be-named" - i.e. that I was actually watching a hockey club.

Not only the announcers, but we have had a number of opposing fans come on this board and say some kind things, but more importantly, they said some things that indicated they now consider us true competition. Indications of respect.

I think we've made more improvement this year than all the other years combined.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
It's called games that test yourselves against the better teams on the road. It's not anything Hitch said. However, I saw an article (or interview?) where Howson described who their evaluation of the Oiler teams in the past led to the decision to be a buyer or seller at the deadline.
I haven't looked yet and I'm not going to look now ... but I'm willing to bet there aren't many (if any) teams worse than we are on the road so every road game we play will be against a "better" team on the road. Hopefully by the end of this month we can revisit this question with some more meaningful data.

Quote:
If you don't think they coaches and management aren't looking at games like last night as important gauge on the realistic chances of us making the playoffs, I don't think you are giving them enough credit. Seems rather obvious, seeing as this is the beginning of our first real extended road trip of the year.
The last thing you or the Jackets need to worry yourselves about is what *I* think. That said, you can throw out the lessons of "buyers and sellers" for every season for the last decade when it comes to the Western Conference playoff race. Unless, of course, you're a Red Wings fan ... in which case I'd like to invite you to the zoo. *heeere kitty, kitty*

Quote:
I won't say much more other then I could truely care less what the opposing teams annoucers say about our team. I appreciate they think we are a playoff caliber team, but beyond that it's fairly meaningless.
yeah, yeah ... promises, promises.

Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't look at games like the Ducks and the Sharks and acknowledge those are the types of teams we have to beat on the road, on a semi-consistant basis, to have a realistic shot at the playoffs. If I was to give an opinion after the first 3 games, I would put us on the seller list. I wasn't pleased at all.
Did you actually proof read that paragraph? I have rarely witnessed such a mastery of double negatives rendered in the passive voice packed so tightly between non-declarative statements. Astounding.

Old
01-06-2008, 04:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I haven't looked yet and I'm not going to look now ... but I'm willing to bet there aren't many (if any) teams worse than we are on the road so every road game we play will be against a "better" team on the road. Hopefully by the end of this month we can revisit this question with some more meaningful data.

The last thing you or the Jackets need to worry yourselves about is what *I* think. That said, you can throw out the lessons of "buyers and sellers" for every season for the last decade when it comes to the Western Conference playoff race. Unless, of course, you're a Red Wings fan ... in which case I'd like to invite you to the zoo. *heeere kitty, kitty*
We had the 2nd worst record on the road. We also had played well under the league average in number of road games. So, what's the point? We haven't been good on the road to this point. Not exactly super secret information.

Through all of our postings I wish I could discover what your point is. There are some games I consider important on this road trip to really see how good we can be on the road. Big whoop.

Old
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
CBJSlash

Please keep the bickering civil ladies and fellas or go to PMs.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Nordique

Quote:
We had the 2nd worst record on the road. We also had played well under the league average in number of road games. So, what's the point? We haven't been good on the road to this point. Not exactly super secret information.

Through all of our postings I wish I could discover what your point is. There are some games I consider important on this road trip to really see how good we can be on the road. Big whoop.
Well, 2 points is 2 points, but I too think games like SJ on the road are more important for intangible reasons than games like LA on the road. Intangible reasons like respect, confidence, and the fact that we aren't going to be battling for an 8th seed against LA's and PHO's, but we might be fighting for that last spot againt SJ or ANA...kind of that 4 point game mentality we hear about all the time. Losing twice to NSH, while taking 4 points vs Carolina and Atlanta fall into the same category. NSH could make a run, we could be a point or two behind them sitting in ninth place soon.

The fact of the matter is, if we don't play any better on the road this month than we did last week, our playoff aspirations will be dead by February 1st.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Well, 2 points is 2 points, but I too think games like SJ on the road are more important for intangible reasons than games like LA on the road. Intangible reasons like respect, confidence, and the fact that we aren't going to be battling for an 8th seed against LA's and PHO's, but we might be fighting for that last spot againt SJ or ANA...kind of that 4 point game mentality we hear about all the time. Losing twice to NSH, while taking 4 points vs Carolina and Atlanta fall into the same category. NSH could make a run, we could be a point or two behind them sitting in ninth place soon.

The fact of the matter is, if we don't play any better on the road this month than we did last week, our playoff aspirations will be dead by February 1st.
You are correct, there was not much to be happy about this week. I pretty much agree with everything you said.

We know we can beat the LA's, Edmontons, Phoenix's (well version 1 at least), a lot of the east. The question is can we beat the top 8 or so teams in the West on the road. So far, we haven't shown we can do that. If we can't we'll end up playing "push" with them, if we can manage to beat these teams at home. We have to start winning season series against these types of teams to have a reasonable shot at the playoffs.

Old
01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
No.

You are what you are.
I've been saying the fringe playoff club thing since the beginning of the season... they are better, but not there yet.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I've been saying the fringe playoff club thing since the beginning of the season... they are better, but not there yet.
Almost every game in January is against a playoff contending Western team, starting with the home/away STL games this week.

This is the month, make or break time. Vybes, Feds, Nash, Zherdev, the dynamic duo in goal, time for everyone to step it up and play with a sense of urgency.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Hey! That's what I said! You think maybe we should come back and discuss this matter further at the end of this month when we've played more road games and have more meaningful data? Deal.

Quote:
My point would be this: I do not believe that had we won either the Duck game or the Shark game, that either of those wins would have been any more valuable or important than the Kings win. Why? Last year everyone was yammering and bellyaching about the Jackets being able to beat the "good" teams while simultaneously being unable to beat the "lesser" teams they were supposed to beat. It seems completely unreasonable to me to suppose that some how our team got worse, or less talented, between the end of last season and now. At this juncture all I'm concerned with is amassing POINTS. Duck points=King points=Shark points.Two points is two points is two points ... so long as the game is outside your Division (right, Nords?). Thus, I think barometers and valuing one win more than another are moot and fruitless concepts.

When I fail to make my point clear blahblah, feel free to pipe up and ask me to elaborate. I'm happy to.

Old
01-06-2008, 11:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

The road game that REALLY matters on this trip is at St. Louis. That's a "four point game."

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The road game that REALLY matters on this trip is at St. Louis. That's a "four point game."
... i hate math ...

Old
01-07-2008, 02:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Hey! That's what I said! You think maybe we should come back and discuss this matter further at the end of this month when we've played more road games and have more meaningful data? Deal.

My point would be this: I do not believe that had we won either the Duck game or the Shark game, that either of those wins would have been any more valuable or important than the Kings win. Why? Last year everyone was yammering and bellyaching about the Jackets being able to beat the "good" teams while simultaneously being unable to beat the "lesser" teams they were supposed to beat. It seems completely unreasonable to me to suppose that some how our team got worse, or less talented, between the end of last season and now. At this juncture all I'm concerned with is amassing POINTS. Duck points=King points=Shark points.Two points is two points is two points ... so long as the game is outside your Division (right, Nords?). Thus, I think barometers and valuing one win more than another are moot and fruitless concepts.

When I fail to make my point clear blahblah, feel free to pipe up and ask me to elaborate. I'm happy to.
If you look back at my initial post(s), there were 6 games I marked, for my own reference, as important games to look at to see how far we have come. The point was to collect meaningful data (which is what you are asking for). They are either the elite teams in our conference, or teams that have given us a hard time (like Nashville). I said that I thought if we could get 6 points from those games (.500 record), January was likely to be a pretty decent month, as I felt we could play about .500 with the rest of the games.

It would also have the side benefit of allowing the team itself to realize they could play with any team, at home or on the road. So far we are 0-2. If we come back and and win 3 of the 4 remaining, I feel pretty good about our chances.

The goal is to amass points, as you said. However if you can't beat Colorado, Vancouver, Nashville, Detroit, Minny, Calgary, the Ducks, and Dallas on the road it's going to be very hard to have a .500 record on the road. Not impossible, but if you account for the fact that the other teams can beat us in their house, a very difficult task. And that's the goal, get our road record up to .500.

We have taken a step back from last year to this year, on the road. Your right, we aren't less talented. This is part of the growing process and something Hitch needs to correct with the team leadership.

So far this trip has went exactly like I thought it would. I wished I would have been mistaken.

Old
01-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Pluckfur

Hmm... it would seem we disagree on very little at all.

I have to say that I never have any concrete expectations about any given game. I always believe that the Jackets are capable of winning the game, but I also know that we struggle to score (still, as we always have) so we have very little margin for error and this means that my team must put forth a tremendous effort and exercise in defensive discipline in order to compensate. It's my suspicion that our record won't be all that much different on the road than it is at home. We play (and must do so) the same game no matter where we are - home or away, and really so do all the other WC teams.

Frankly, I don't know how Howson or his counterparts are going to rise to the challenge of playing the "buyers and sellers" game this season given the obvious parity displayed in our Conference rankings. Fortunately, the situation is the same for us as it is most teams other than 1) the Ducks (Burke's already begun playing his hand) and of course 2) the Wings are in a position to do anything they like. Most everyone else? Should be interesting ...

Old
01-07-2008, 05:55 AM
puckgoalnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I hate to tell you, but so were Anaheim and San Jose.

There's no possibility we're catching Detroit and getting the automatic bid for winning the Central. So we're competing against the rest of the conference for slots now ... so any Western conference team is a 4pt game.

puckgoalnet is offline   Reply With Quote