HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Darryl Sydor a "hot commodity:" Bill Watters

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 11:10 AM
think-blue-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Darryl Sydor a "hot commodity:" Bill Watters

Darryl Sydor, as just reported on Leafs Lunch, is apparently on the market.

What teams do you think might be interested in his services?

Old
01-23-2004, 11:12 AM
degroat*

St. Louis is going to be interested in any defenseman on the market.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Sather and the Rangers would have intrest.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Verbal Kint*

The Leafs if they don't nab Gonchar.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:23 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Woooo Hooooo.
Bring on the proposals. Make em good.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I assume he's been dissapointing or at least not in the Jackets plans anymore, if so I can't imagine his value being much improved the day he got aquired. He'd probably fetch a 2nd round draft pick plus a decent prospect. The market for rental defensemen is huge, but the market for defensemen with continueing contracts is not very high. Sydor is signed for another 2 years beyond this one, and he aproxemately makes between 3.5 and 4.5 during those seasons.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
RE-HABS

Is this another "gone in 48 Hours" deal from Watters.

With the league looking for Dmen in almost 1/3 of the cities it comes to no surprise that Columbus a non-playoff team will be willing to trade a good Dman like Sydor, Columbus wants some good youth in return and there is a potential for a bidding war for a guy like Sydor.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Brodeur

Jackets traded Mike Sillinger, a presumably high 2nd rounder, and are paying off about half of Sillinger's contract if I'm not mistaken.

My proposal:

New Jersey: C Tyler Wright and D Darryl Sydor
Columbus: LW/C Mike Rupp and RW Christian Berglund

Jersey gets a gritty right handed centerman (also UFA at season's end). Sydor would take Stevens' minutes short term while Scotty is hurt, long term when Scotty hangs 'em up. We lose a couple youngsters up front, but can focus on replacing them in the offseason.

Columbus sheds 3 mil from its payroll. They get a couple young assets including Ohio native Mike Rupp. Berglund has shown flashes of being a gritty 2nd liner capable of 20 goals, but hasn't been able to cement a permanent spot. I figure Columbus doesn't need any more draft picks, they'd rather have young players they can insert into their lineup now.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:40 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I assume he's been dissapointing or at least not in the Jackets plans anymore, if so I can't imagine his value being much improved the day he got aquired. He'd probably fetch a 2nd round draft pick plus a decent prospect. The market for rental defensemen is huge, but the market for defensemen with continueing contracts is not very high. Sydor is signed for another 2 years beyond this one, and he aproxemately makes between 3.5 and 4.5 during those seasons.
I think a second round pick and a decent to good prospect would be an acceptable return from my p.o.v.
The contract is definitely a factor, but, I'm hoping the desire to add the proverbial "missing piece" for a playoff team will override money concerns and net the CBJ a good return.
It is a sellers market for d-men though and I think Sydor is one of the better ones that is going to be available.
Also, Columbus absolutely does not HAVE to trade Sydor. They can afford to keep him and they still can use him, but this is not a salary dump.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Jackets traded Mike Sillinger, a presumably high 2nd rounder, and are paying off about half of Sillinger's contract if I'm not mistaken.

My proposal:

New Jersey: C Tyler Wright and D Darryl Sydor
Columbus: LW/C Mike Rupp and RW Christian Berglund

Jersey gets a gritty right handed centerman (also UFA at season's end). Sydor would take Stevens' minutes short term while Scotty is hurt, long term when Scotty hangs 'em up. We lose a couple youngsters up front, but can focus on replacing them in the offseason.

Columbus sheds 3 mil from its payroll. They get a couple young assets including Ohio native Mike Rupp. Berglund has shown flashes of being a gritty 2nd liner capable of 20 goals, but hasn't been able to cement a permanent spot. I figure Columbus doesn't need any more draft picks, they'd rather have young players they can insert into their lineup now.
Two things:

1. a team like Columbus ALWAYS needs draft picks

2. i don't think wright will be traded. there was talk not too long ago of him reupping with the team. he's a big part of the team and community here. i guess it depends on the demand for him and what people will pay.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

I think Watters has proven himself an idiot, hasn't he?

Old
01-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
1. a team like Columbus ALWAYS needs draft picks
Hrm, I guess on further review that is true. More simple counteroffer: Mike Rupp, Sean Brown, and our 2nd for Sydor. Couple guys C-bus can pop into their lineup right away, a 2nd to sorta replace the one they gave up.

Old
01-23-2004, 12:11 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i asked about the availability of this guy a few wks ago and nobody thought he was going anywhere

Old
01-23-2004, 12:18 PM
pantherhockey

Kristian Huselius for Sydor, maybe throw in a draft pick from florida to sweeten it up a little

Old
01-23-2004, 12:20 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i asked about the availability of this guy a few wks ago and nobody thought he was going anywhere
That was before a d-man epidemic hit and a bunch of teams lost key blueliners.

Closed Thread