HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Renney (merged)

View Poll Results: Is it time for a change?
Yes 91 43.75%
No 117 56.25%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-06-2008, 12:59 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
okay.

edit: since i respect you, i'll give you a real response.. this guy annoyed me earlier in the thread about drury so much of this is based off that, although i do believe this is irrational and short sighted still, given the success renney has had and the history of last season. our team is not perfect, yet some people still do not expect them to hit any bumps over the course of a long year.
I hear ya, we all have those posters that do that to us.

No, the team isn't perfect, but at some point shouldn't we expect to get better and pregress as a team? Shouldn't we expect to see some of our younger players start developing some sort of offensive game? With the players that we added, at some point we have to stop using the newness to each other as crutch as the reason the offence has been so piss poor.

The team is not perfect, but we should be showing signs of getting better, not worse.

But to the extent that he has had success in the past and both seasons were PO's, I would agree that dumping him today is nor the right call, but another 1st round exit and I have to think he's gonna be on the hot-seat.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

It's not Renney's fault the team won't play.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
It's not Renney's fault the team won't play.
Pardon?

If the coach can't get the players to play, that is the biggest reason to fire him. It means he's lost the room and when that happens, hte coach ALWAYS gets the ax.

I don't think that's the problem here. I just think that he's got his limitations as a coach and his system can only get a team to a certain point, it's just that that point doesn't happen to be the Stanley Cup

Old
01-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Well, we can start clearing cap space now and hoard a bunch of draft picks for Ovechkin down the line
Maybe we can pay him under the table. I'll get the collection dish out.

I'd absolutely love to see AO in Blue, but I really can't see us giving him the $$ he's looking for. Our only hope is that he'd take some salary off in exchange for the market he'd be playing in. I think he'd thrive on the NY media.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
0 wins on this roadtrip is alarming

BTW, why wasn't hossa and prucha in the shootout?
Avery? F-ing Avery?! Really?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I like Renney but he's not the right man for this team right now. We need someone to come in here and scream and holler and light a fire under this team's ass.
Although I think you're right about needing screaming and yelling since thats what I do during the games...

It wouldn't help this team, Jagr i'm thinking handles yelling about as good as a 3 year old. It would demoralize the already demoralized captain into a deeper stage of emo, causing the other players to scratch there head and wonder "where did our captain go".

They need to rid themselves of Jagr, sign Shanny to an extension for next year give him the C and let him help instill leadership into the youth of the organization or we're screwed for a long time.

Old
01-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Pardon?

If the coach can't get the players to play, that is the biggest reason to fire him. It means he's lost the room and when that happens, hte coach ALWAYS gets the ax.

I don't think that's the problem here. I just think that he's got his limitations as a coach and his system can only get a team to a certain point, it's just that that point doesn't happen to be the Stanley Cup
This team wouldn't play for anyone, this isn't 1994 when you bring in a guy like Keenan to scream and make heads roll. It might snap a few people out of there slumps you'd certainly get the attention of Shanny and Drury etc... But with Jagr as captain you wouldn't get the same response you're hoping for.

Old
01-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Mistress Mandy

No. I don't mean to sound rude (for lack of a better term), but is it the coach's fault or the fault of the guys on the ice? I'm sure Renney doesn't like this, either. But I do not think it's Renney's fault that the team can't decide if they're going to be in the middle of a winning streak or a losing streak. It's going to be the decision of the team if they want to get back on track.

I have a feeling this west coast trip wasn't exactly what they were looking for. I don't see the need to start kicking anyone behind the bench to the curb... Unless there's an absolute need to and the time is right.

Mistress Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 01:38 AM
PhlipDowt

the Rangers have to start putting together winning streaks sooner then later...we cant expect to fall too far behind and go on a 17 game tear like the end of last season...
i dont want to see Renney go yet...but damn he is making some crazy ass decisions these days...

PhlipDowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:26 AM
dynamoovechkin

Love him or hate him, Renney is a player's coach, and this is Jagr's team, so Renney's not going anywhere. That said, his decisions are curious to say the least. I'm just wondering about starting Struds over Malik- was that because Edmonton is Struds home town? I'm not a big Malik fan, but just wondering...

Yes, those shootout shooters- Avery just back from the bad wrist and invisible in this game? How about Dubinsky- who is playing a damn fine game these days and really starting to show something. How about the crafty and clutch Chris Mr 7 seconds Drury?

I also notice that Renney struggles with in-game adjustments, and he seems indecisive with his line combinations. We are struggling with chemistry issues, so he shuffles the deck every 7 games or so?

He seems pretty composed behind the bench during games, but during those videos on the website- he seems befuddled and frazzled a lot of the time- like he's stressed out and grasping at straws. He kind of has no answers for what ails us it seems to me.

Expect a shake up trade within a month or so. Some of the non-performers this year: Callahan (sorry, like the kid), Hollyweg, Hossa, Prucha, Malik, etc will have to make room for some additions. Still, Renney stays.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Weezy09

Send a message via AIM to Weezy09
Can anyone tell me why the hell Betts got a shift in overtime. I love the guy, hes a great PKer, hustles all the time, but in friggin OT? Renney is a clown...someone has to stop the madness that is the Rangers coaching staff........Scotty Bowman

Weezy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyB View Post
No. I don't mean to sound rude (for lack of a better term), but is it the coach's fault or the fault of the guys on the ice? I'm sure Renney doesn't like this, either. But I do not think it's Renney's fault that the team can't decide if they're going to be in the middle of a winning streak or a losing streak. It's going to be the decision of the team if they want to get back on track.
I don't mean to sound rude either, but, do you know what a coach's job actually entails?

He's not just standing back there chewing gum hoping that the guys he throws out there get the job done. He's been getting out coached lately. Granted in the last week he's faced Iron Mike and the reigning Jack Adams winner. But look back to our defeats to the Islanders for prime examples, as well as his shootout selections last night.

Last edited by Carlos Ranger: 01-06-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 05:03 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy09 View Post
Can anyone tell me why the hell Betts got a shift in overtime. I love the guy, hes a great PKer, hustles all the time, but in friggin OT? Renney is a clown...someone has to stop the madness that is the Rangers coaching staff........Scotty Bowman
Betts got a shift in overtime because Renney sucked ass at coaching this game.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy09 View Post
Bowman retired for a reason. he's now 74.. a whole year younger than Al Arbour who looked ridiculous behind the bench for the Isles this season.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 06:20 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Wait, people want to hold on to Renney because of Jagr? Crazy idea, part with both of them. Jagr hasn't produced and looks lazy/unhappy on the ice, Renney is stuck in a system that simply isn't working. Dump Jagr on a team that's desperate for the playoffs and get something decent in return. Give TR the boot once we find a suitable replacement.
This year was hyped up to be the cup year, honestly I don't see that. We should cut our losses, start moving people around and show some of the guys that have gotten too comfortable that we aren't afraid to do it. Certain players simply aren't playing, or can't play, and that's part TR's fault. Time to shake the birdcage, but most will say I'm going too far. Didn't we make trades/move people around last year and we sparked the late P/O run? Let's do it again this year.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 06:34 AM
GarretJoseph*

this is retarded. why on earth would they fire him during the season. if anything it would happen in the off-season if NYR fail or get knocked out in the first round.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Chimp

It depends what this team's ambitions are. If we are aiming for the cup, Renney won't bring us one. If we're confident with getting to the playoffs, well, he should be able to bring us there.

I just think his gameplan is seriously flawed and he's constantly outcoached.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Wait, people want to hold on to Renney because of Jagr? Crazy idea, part with both of them. Jagr hasn't produced and looks lazy/unhappy on the ice, Renney is stuck in a system that simply isn't working. Dump Jagr on a team that's desperate for the playoffs and get something decent in return. Give TR the boot once we find a suitable replacement.
This year was hyped up to be the cup year, honestly I don't see that. We should cut our losses, start moving people around and show some of the guys that have gotten too comfortable that we aren't afraid to do it. Certain players simply aren't playing, or can't play, and that's part TR's fault. Time to shake the birdcage, but most will say I'm going too far. Didn't we make trades/move people around last year and we sparked the late P/O run? Let's do it again this year.
I think there's a big difference from last year to this year. Last year we moved guys who basically sucked, a la Aaron Ward. This year, we have guys who are underperforming, but who have all the necessary skill, if not the necessary motivation. You think if they had moved Jaromir Jagr at the deadline last season that they still would've gone as far as they did? I think not. Big difference in moving guys like Ward and in moving guys like Jaromir Jagr.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
This team wouldn't play for anyone, this isn't 1994 when you bring in a guy like Keenan to scream and make heads roll. It might snap a few people out of there slumps you'd certainly get the attention of Shanny and Drury etc... But with Jagr as captain you wouldn't get the same response you're hoping for.
Personally, I'm done bending to make Jagr happy. If he's not happy then he can go somewhere else. The same with anyone else on the team. I want to win and I do not believe that Renney is that coach that is going to get us there.

Roger Neilson got the team playing great defence, Keenan got us the cup. I see the same things here. Renney has the team playing fundamentally sound hockey again, but he's not going to get this team to the promised land and to me at least it's showing.

If Jagr isn't happy with a different coach, then we need to find a new Captain and go to player.

Old
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Renney's record with the NYR since the lockoput has been excellent. A bad patch at the middle of the season is not the reason to fire him. Slats needs to get the one or two pieces we need in a trade, and/or time to bring Dawes, Moore, and maybe Byers up from Hfd.

Pesonally, after last night we should fire Hossa, Hollweg, and Malik.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

No...

NO NO NO... Whos out there. Messier? Have Faith...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Personally, I'm done bending to make Jagr happy. If he's not happy then he can go somewhere else. The same with anyone else on the team. I want to win and I do not believe that Renney is that coach that is going to get us there.

Roger Neilson got the team playing great defence, Keenan got us the cup. I see the same things here. Renney has the team playing fundamentally sound hockey again, but he's not going to get this team to the promised land and to me at least it's showing.

If Jagr isn't happy with a different coach, then we need to find a new Captain and go to player.
Completely agree with not bending to Jagr, but his leadership has more to do with the team not winning than Renney at this point in time. Most members of the team are playing a good fundamental game which can be attributed to good coaching.

Old
01-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
I cannot believe some people are so thick headed to actually believe that Renney knows what he is doing, and that his record as a Ranger coach is not solely because of Jagr. Look, Jagrs not producing this year, and what? He didnt produce last year for a while, look what happened, at this point we were in the same boat.

05-06 is the only exception since Jagr had what 54 goals and 110 points?

Renney's winning is because of Jagr. His loosing now with out a happy Jagr is because he has no idea what hes doing. He has no idea how to make in game adjustments. How to prepare for the three man forecheck. How its more about the team and not idividual players, a la Sean Avery taking the first shot in the shoot out to try and get him out of a slump. Sorry but when points are on the line, you give that to more experienced shooters in Hossa who has been MONEY in the shoot outs, Prucha, if Shannahan and Straka were hurt, hell go with captain clutch Chris Drury who scored with 7 seconds left.

The way Renney coaches, Im surprised he didnt make Orr or Betts his extra attacker

This coach needs alot of and so does every one who thinks hes deserves to stay around.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
why must everyone insist that its renney's fault..? i mean ur talking about the guy who brought us into the playoffs 2 years in a row and had us win our first playoff round since 1997.. this man has gotten us out of our drought, and you guys want to send him out packing because of a mid-season slump.? the rangers last lear barely made the playoffs, but they did. if you haven't looked at the standings all the teams are close into the playoff picture..i mean even one loss can send you down 2 spots. and we kno that slats won't dump off renny until at least the end of this season or the next.. if anything we must make a trade for some gritter offencive player. one that will check and fight along the boards.. we have 2 many midget running around out there getting thrown around. and with them, well alaway be racked up on injuries. and be short-handed

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
I understand the points being made that you can't fire him midseason/it's the players, we need more of ____ type of guy etc...

However, the overall trouble with his coaching can be summed up I think with this: Sean Avery should not be a top 3 guy in a shootout EVER. I doubt he's even going in the top 10 usually. In a game where we gained momentum by scoring late to tie, could potentially steal a couple points, and break out of a losing streak, why in the hell do you put Avery in on a shootout. He is NOT going to score. Period.

Yes, this is just one example, but it's a prime one and we all know and recognize he makes awful coaching errors every game. Everyone has seen the fourth line on the ice with less than five to go and the Rangers down by one. We all know that through the first 30 games, the Rangers didn't play with the same lines for more than like 2 games in a row.

I'll bet at this point any one of us could sit behind that bench and make better lines, make better USE of the lines, and overall better coaching decisions.

The bottom line is he does not give us the best chance to get what needs to be done in a certain game situation every time out and that is the base of what a coach should be doing. Never should the fourth line be on the ice when we need to score. Never should Sean Avery be in a shootout unless it's going 10 rounds and he's one of our last forwards. When you have cannons like Rozy and Girardi at the point who we know can score, why put Straka at the point on the PP? Things like this proves he is mismanaging the assets that Sather has given him. I don't think anybody doubts that this team can win the Cup, and Renney can't even get this team to win more games than it loses.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote