HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Experience with CCM Externo skates?

Old
01-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Bluefan75

vCash: 500
Experience with CCM Externo skates?

My skates have some miles on them, and at some point I will have to replace them. Not in a ruh, but always keep my eyes open. I noticed one of the stores here has a pair of Externos in my size(I wear CCM already) for a clearance price. Before I even bother trying them on tocheck the fit, etc., does anyone have any opinions on these skates?

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 02:09 AM
vexXed

I had the CCM E40's as my 1st pair and I would not recommend the entire line. I think the only thing good that came out of it was the E-pro holder which is now used on the CCM and RBK skates. Carbon insole starts to split from the boot after a while and they ended up giving me some weird ankle pain that no one could diagnose. Of course, that was just me but bear in mind that they are quite an old line of skates and I think it would be advisable for you to get something more up to date.

Also, make sure you really fit in them. Each brand fits differently, as well as different series within brands. I had the E-40's and then the Pro Tacks before realising that I hadn't been skating right for 5 years, as CCM just do not fit me. Now I wear Graf 709's and they are perfect for me.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
I had the CCM E40's as my 1st pair and I would not recommend the entire line. I think the only thing good that came out of it was the E-pro holder which is now used on the CCM and RBK skates. Carbon insole starts to split from the boot after a while and they ended up giving me some weird ankle pain that no one could diagnose. Of course, that was just me but bear in mind that they are quite an old line of skates and I think it would be advisable for you to get something more up to date.

Also, make sure you really fit in them. Each brand fits differently, as well as different series within brands. I had the E-40's and then the Pro Tacks before realising that I hadn't been skating right for 5 years, as CCM just do not fit me. Now I wear Graf 709's and they are perfect for me.
Ok, I understand the get something more up to date when it comes to switching to Externo's. I have 762 Tacks(I tink they are just rebanded 652s for a chain store), and I have seen the exact same model still available in their store. What would your thoughts be on getting the same pair? I do have to be somewhat economical if I do get a new pair of skates, so going to Grafs is not an option for me at this point.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:24 AM
vexXed

If it fits you and you haven't had any problems with it then sure, why not get the same pair, but try a 2007 model pair of 852's or 652's. Personally if I was getting new skates I would be trying on a lot of stuff to see what is available and what fits best. Remember that they should last you quite a while so you should be exploring possibilities.

Graf also has more affordable skates with their 6XX and 5XX series.

Old
01-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post

High arches in those, right?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
High arches in those, right?
Yeah, high arches and instep. Very deep boot. Wider than the other Graf models too.