HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranking The Rangers Rivals (merged)

Old
01-07-2008, 03:02 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Ranking The Rangers Rivals (merged)

I was curious after seeing the poll on "Rangers-Islanders" as to a more general questions.

1) Who are, who comprise, the list of the Rangers rivals?
2) Which teams would you consider our rivals, to what extent, and in what order?

I've made my own rankings.
-Feel free to agree/disagree
-Feel free to submit your own
-Am I pretty on?

For me, I consider a rival to be a team we have had a lot of heated battles with be it regular season or playoffs, that poses a direct threat on and off the ice.

I'd have to say my rankings go

Tier I (Absolute Hatred)
1) Islanders------hated, sacreligious to root for
2) Flyers----------hated, sacreligious to root for. It's Philly...come on...nobody wants that city/fans happy.

Tier II (Hated...but not to that extent)
3) Devils---------arch rival...but a much smaller fanbase makes it not as unbearable if they win...and I easily would root for them over the Isles and Flyers....in fact I almost like the Devils for what they did in 95 and 00 to the Flyers.

Tier III (Doormant Rival....Retro)
1) Bruins....this was Yankees-Sox.....and old time Ranger fans I know despise Boston. Yet these teams play in seperate divisions..both suffered in the late 90s...and have not met since the early 70s.
I think younger fans don't see it...older fans do...if both became good or divisions realigned you'd see it revive.

Tier IV (Somewhat a rival....though not direct)
1) Toronto....orginal six..flagship franchise...but no playoff wars
2) Montreal...orginal six..flagship franchise...but no playoff wars

Tier V (Not rivals)
1) Pittsburgh...they care about Philly....and serve as a buffer in the Atlantic between the Isles, Flyers, and Devils.
2) Caps.....first you have to care about hockey and play in a real hockey town.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newburgh View Post
I was curious after seeing the poll on "Rangers-Islanders" as to a more general questions.

1) Who are, who comprise, the list of the Rangers rivals?
2) Which teams would you consider our rivals, to what extent, and in what order?

I've made my own rankings.
-Feel free to agree/disagree
-Feel free to submit your own
-Am I pretty on?

For me, I consider a rival to be a team we have had a lot of heated battles with be it regular season or playoffs, that poses a direct threat on and off the ice.

I'd have to say my rankings go

Tier I (Absolute Hatred)
1) Islanders------hated, sacreligious to root for
2) Flyers----------hated, sacreligious to root for. It's Philly...come on...nobody wants that city/fans happy.

3) Devils---------arch rival...but a much smaller fanbase makes it not as unbearable if they win...and I easily would root for them over the Isles and Flyers....in fact I almost like the Devils for what they did in 95 and 00 to the Flyers.

1) Bruins....this was Yankees-Sox.....and old time Ranger fans I know despise Boston. Yet these teams play in seperate divisions..both suffered in the late 90s...and have not met since the early 70s.
I think younger fans don't see it...older fans do...if both became good or divisions realigned you'd see it revive.

1) Toronto....orginal six..flagship franchise...but no playoff wars
2) Montreal...orginal six..flagship franchise...but no playoff wars

Tier V (Not rivals)
1) Pittsburgh...they care about Philly....and serve as a buffer in the Atlantic between the Isles, Flyers, and Devils.
2) Caps.....first you have to care about hockey and play in a real hockey town.
No Thrashers

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:26 AM
mucker*

Is Rangers-Bruins Still A Rivalry?

I notice NBC is airing this game in a few weeks...marketing it as an east coast rival game.

I. Reasons For
A. City Dislike
1) It would seem to follow logic to...both of these cities do not like it each other.
-You have Yankees-Sox
-Pats-Jets
-Knicks-Celtics.

B. Original Six History
1) Back before 67 and then Patrick division alignment...there was no questions legend has it (I am only 23) that this was a big rivalry.
As big as any in hockey.
2) My father...old timer in his 50s...still hates the Bruins.
-He rooted for the Flyers in the 72 cup finals (or 73) over the Bruins.
-He rooted for the Devils in the 2001 cup finals so Borque wouldn't get a cup.
3) He despised Milbury, O'Reilly, Esposito...loved Brad Park...and stop rooting for them for years when he was dealt for Espo.
Long story short he considers them a hated rival along with the Isles and Flyers.....then Devils.

II. Reasons Against
A. Current
1) I went to several Ranger Bruin games in Boston though...it had none of the intensity you'd expect from a major game.
-It was never billed as bitter rivals...just orignal six...and the fans, many Ranger fans...no hostility as you would in Philly.
2) Bruin fans I know that care about the team don't consider the Rangers a rival...they consider the Habs and Leafs...maybe even Sabres.
3) Further when the Bruins are at MSG...it may as well be the any other team because it doesn't seem that intense and unlike say the Isles...there are very few...if any Boston fans despite the proxmity which allows us to easily takeover their rink.

B. My View
1) Bottom line is both teams were original six rivals in the northeast and had fierce battles...but with realignment have not been in the same division in decades and have not met in the playoffs in over 30 years.

Questions
A. Questions
1) My question....do you still consider the Bruins a rival?
2) If so...where do they rank...and why?

3) If not...why?
4) Is it ok to root for the Bruins as a second team?

5) Was this once a huge one....like Yanks-Sox...and if so what happened?
-Expansion, medicore, realignment?
-Is it now mostly just old time Ranger fans upset about the early 70s or old timers for both teams?
6) If they both were realigned to the same division do you think they'd become rivals...or if they had a playoff series...would that respark...or is it doormant and well replaced by closer current rivals?

Thanks.

Old
01-07-2008, 06:25 AM
pld459666

for me

Islanders
Flyers
Devils
Pens
Caps
Bruins
Montreal

I didn't select the Thrashers, cause one PO series (especially the cakewalk that it was) doesn't make a rivalry which is also why I didn't put Buffalo up there.

there's no sustaining a rivalry anymore with the way the PO's are set up. From year to year there's a better than average chance that you will not see the same teasm in the PO's that you saw last year and that is where the rivalries really develope.

in the old days you saw the Islanders 6 times a year, then another 7 in the PO's. The bad blood that that caused was great, especially when you knew there was a very very good chance you would be seeing them again next year for another possible 13 games.

They have watered that down a great deal with the current set up and the only thing keeping these things alive are players like Avery, Tucker, Downie. The stuff these guys pull force teams to be a bit more passionate in that they get the blood boiling on the other team, which in turn gets their own teams a bit more heated. Today more than ever, we need more players like these in this league, not less of them.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Smashley

I'm surprised to not see buffalo in one of the upper tiers...but now that we have cap'n clutch I guess that makes them less of one.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
no.

Although I hate that city due to all the other rivalries...

not in the same division, and the Bruins basically suck... whereas the Flyers and Debbies have fielded quality teams for years now.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
What? The Sabres arent a rival... never have been... dont know why you'd think they were.

If anything, I pull for the Sabres some times.. its STILL A NY team, which is still my home state...

I cant pull for the Isles cuz they're HARDCORE rivals...

Same with Jets and Giants... they're not in the same league.. so the rivalry to me is meh.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Stoney La Rock

The Devils need to be in Tier 1, if only because of all of the effort that is made over on the Devils' board at putting the Rangers and their fans down at every opportunity.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Stoney La Rock

I don't think it's much of a rivalry anymore....but back in the day, those games were a sight to behold. And I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a story about the old dressing rooms in Boston being full of rats or something....

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

no no and no

back when the rivalry existed the Bruins were one of the best team in the NHL and fighting was a given at the games

**** I remember one game where the Bruins actually went into the stands after a guy

crazy days....but that fire is long since out

With all the Euros in the game the "city for city hatred" has long been gone

01-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Vatchern

I hate the devils more than i hate the flyers.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

No, but if the Rangers and Bruins play each other in the playoffs some year, it could reignite the spark. However, the fact that the two teams are in separate divisions doesn't help the cause.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Islanders
Flyers
Devils
Pens
Caps
Bruins
Montreal
Pretty much sums it up for me. Although I don't have really any beef against Montreal. I think you should change that to Toronto especially these days with the Sean Avery drama surrounding it.

---- Tier 1 - Bitter Rivals ----
Islanders - You can't be a Rangers fan without hating the Isles
Flyers - Obnoxious and dirty, Born to hate em
Devils - The annoying neighbor who always wants to be better than you and is still jealous of you even if they are

---- Tier 2 - Rivals ----
Pens - The supposed next best thing since sliced bread. They aren't that good but you hear about them more than any other team.

---- Tier 3 - Recent Rivals ----
Caps - Shanahan vs. Brashear? Do the math
Toronto - Sean Avery vs. The Leafs. The hockey capital of the world. North of the border they get more press than the prime minister.
Atlanta - Some recent bad blood. Playoff sweep adds a little to it too and Bobby Holik and Pascal Dupis kinda bother me.

---- Tier 4 - Old Rivals ----
Bruins - Natural hatred by living in NY
Montreal - Original 6
Detroit - Original 6
Chicago - Original 6

---- Tier 5 - S*** list ----
Canucks - Still jealous of us winning the cup over them in '94. They gotta chant 'Rangers suck' because Valiquette hit their player in the face with his follow through? Yeah right, it's called jealousy.
Kings - Chanted 'Rangers suck' last year because Avery took the biggest dive known to man and actually got called for it.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 01-07-2008 at 10:45 AM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:22 AM
mstraka82

it will always be pats-jets, yanks-sox, the bruins are boring

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:16 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
I notice NBC is airing this game in a few weeks...marketing it as an east coast rival game.

I. Reasons For
A. City Dislike
1) It would seem to follow logic to...both of these cities do not like it each other.
-You have Yankees-Sox
-Pats-Jets
-Knicks-Celtics.

B. Original Six History
1) Back before 67 and then Patrick division alignment...there was no questions legend has it (I am only 23) that this was a big rivalry.
As big as any in hockey.
2) My father...old timer in his 50s...still hates the Bruins.
-He rooted for the Flyers in the 72 cup finals (or 73) over the Bruins.
-He rooted for the Devils in the 2001 cup finals so Borque wouldn't get a cup.
3) He despised Milbury, O'Reilly, Esposito...loved Brad Park...and stop rooting for them for years when he was dealt for Espo.
Long story short he considers them a hated rival along with the Isles and Flyers.....then Devils.

II. Reasons Against
A. Current
1) I went to several Ranger Bruin games in Boston though...it had none of the intensity you'd expect from a major game.
-It was never billed as bitter rivals...just orignal six...and the fans, many Ranger fans...no hostility as you would in Philly.
2) Bruin fans I know that care about the team don't consider the Rangers a rival...they consider the Habs and Leafs...maybe even Sabres.
3) Further when the Bruins are at MSG...it may as well be the any other team because it doesn't seem that intense and unlike say the Isles...there are very few...if any Boston fans despite the proxmity which allows us to easily takeover their rink.

B. My View
1) Bottom line is both teams were original six rivals in the northeast and had fierce battles...but with realignment have not been in the same division in decades and have not met in the playoffs in over 30 years.

Questions
A. Questions
1) My question....do you still consider the Bruins a rival?
2) If so...where do they rank...and why?

3) If not...why?
4) Is it ok to root for the Bruins as a second team?

5) Was this once a huge one....like Yanks-Sox...and if so what happened?
-Expansion, medicore, realignment?
-Is it now mostly just old time Ranger fans upset about the early 70s or old timers for both teams?
6) If they both were realigned to the same division do you think they'd become rivals...or if they had a playoff series...would that respark...or is it doormant and well replaced by closer current rivals?

Thanks.
i think this is still a rivalry but because of the way the divisions are and the unsuccessful years the Bruins have had recently, its kind of faded since the Devils and Islanders have played in the playoffs vs the Rangers and had alot of media attention. I would like to see this rivalry renewed because it would really ignite both sides on the ice and in the stands.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

For me -

1.DEVILS
2.DEVILS
3.DEVILS
4.ISLANDERS
5.FLYERS
6.PITTSBURGH
7.WASHINGTON
8.SABRES
9.BOSTON
10.ATLANTA

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Islanders
Devils
Flyers
Leafs
Penguins

HM: Caps, Thrashers, Bruins, Habs

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Tier I (Absolute Hatred)
1) Islanders
2) Flyers
3) Devils

1) Toronto
2) Montreal

1) Bruins
2) Chicago - the original six must round this out

1) Atlanta - recent bad blood sticks in my mind
2) Pittsburgh
3) Washington - same as Atlanta, these teams don't like each other

Tier V (Not rivals)
Everyone else

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Islanders - You can't be a Rangers fan without hating the Isles

I can.

Old
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Tier I (Absolute Hatred)
1) Islanders
2) Flyers
3) Devils

1) Toronto
2) Montreal

1) Bruins
2) Chicago - the original six must round this out

1) Atlanta - recent bad blood sticks in my mind
2) Pittsburgh
3) Washington - same as Atlanta, these teams don't like each other

Tier V (Not rivals)
Everyone else
If that's the case then you forgot Detroit.

But I still wouldn't put either team anywhere near "rival" status for us. We're not even playing either team this season. I feel absolutely nothing for the Blackhawks, and just a distant respect for the Red Wings because of the way their organization is run.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post

I can.
You might be the only one alive.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
mucker*

1) So if I'm reading this correct...us NY fans have little hatred...we consider Boston in the NHL benign?
-I suppose then my dad is just an old timer.
-Is it dead or just a cease fire?

2) If they re-aligned divisions, with Boston and the Rangers together, do you think it would be like old times, like they never had a cease fire?

3) Do you want the NHL to build on the momentum of BOS-NY rivals and move BOS back to the Rangers division?
Taking out PIT?

Old
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
mucker*

I'm a little surprised you all have PIT...they aren't a rival.
Not that nearby....and frankly PIT should be liked because they aren't the Flyers or Isles or Devils.

Old
01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
1) So if I'm reading this correct...us NY fans have little hatred...we consider Boston in the NHL benign?
-I suppose then my dad is just an old timer.
-Is it dead or just a cease fire?

2) If they re-aligned divisions, with Boston and the Rangers together, do you think it would be like old times, like they never had a cease fire?

3) Do you want the NHL to build on the momentum of BOS-NY rivals and move BOS back to the Rangers division?
Taking out PIT?
These new "divisional rivalries" we're used to in the post lockout league will die down next season anyway with the schedule change.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:50 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
the bottom line is this: as long as sean avery is wearing a ranger sweater, any team we play in the playoffs feels like a rival

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote