HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Straka out(concussion)

Old
01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
It's a good thing that allstar break is coming up, because we're in trouble

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Anyone who thought Straka did not suffer a concusion was blind, the guy was nearly out on his feet & was all messed up when he got to the bench, i'm thinking he maybe out until after the all star break.
So you knew right away that Straka had a concussion

Renney and the Rangers medical staff called it a stinger.Straka kept flexing his shoulder/arm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
DontStepanMe

The only positive of this is that if Straka is out for a long period chances are the Rangers will be falling out of playoff contention. This means we could technically have another firesale and try to really retool our system and get some actual first line prospects. Races will be tight and it will be a sellers market again (as it has been since the cap). Just think of what we could get in terms of

Jagr, Avery, Rosy, Shanny, Straka (if he comes back healthy enough), Prucha, Mara, Dawes, Hossa, heck even Malik maybe. Just joking on the last one.

But seriously. If we fall far enough behind we could make some serious trades to get high rated offensive prospects, and some high picks. I wouldn't think twice about doing it either.

B/c the way I look at it is this was supposed to be our year this year. It's becoming more obvious that we have alot of holes in our minors for top notch talent. Chances are Straks, Shanny wouldn't be back anyway. We could always try to sign Rosy and Avery on the open market. I don't see either of them signing before that anyway. This injury could be a small blessing in disguise.

But that's if you just want to see it optimisitcally.

Pessimisticallly, you can see it that Sather will try to make some patchwork trades (overpaying on all of them of course) and we still don't make the playoffs, or lose first rond and don't have anything to show for it.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
dawes would make the 1st line a non-factor..

try avery

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
94now

Quote:

Renney and the Rangers medical staff called it a stinger.Straka kept flexing his shoulder/arm
Why couldn't he get both? With our luck lately it is quite possible.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
dawes would make the 1st line a non-factor..

try avery
Hossa. Dawes to play with Dubi and Moore on 4th.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
A stinger?? isn't that usually when there's some compression on the spinal cord? I remember him hitting the side of his head (by his ear) on the dasher behind the net in EDM, but that wouldn't cause a stinger and if it did, he wouldn't have been able to get up as quickly as he did.
Football players suffer stingers in their shoulders.Intense pain from the neck to the arm.The player feels like his hand is on fire.

Quote:
How does it occur?
A stinger is almost always seen in contact sports when the head and neck are forcibly moved or hit to one side, stretching the brachial plexus on the opposite side. Sometimes when the head and neck are forcibly pushed to one side there is compression of the nerves in the brachial plexus on the same side. The nerves become irritated as a result of being stretched or compressed.

What are the symptoms?
A stinger usually causes intense pain from the neck down to the arm. You may feel like your arm is on fire. You may have a "pins and needles" sensation. Your arm or hand may be weak. It is possible that you may not have any symptoms after a period of rest following your injury
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_stinger_sma.htm

On the bench,Straka was favoring/flexing his arm.Thus the stinger diagnosis

Quote:
The Rangers said Straka suffered a stinger after slamming into the backboards 1:10 into overtime.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...ut.html?page=1

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
what??

Old
01-07-2008, 02:31 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
what??
he calls the HBO line the third line. and Dubis line the 4th.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:

I was pretty confident it was a concussion as well. On the replay it was clear that his head hit right on the little shelf where the boards meet the glass.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
he calls the HBO line the third line. and Dubis line the 4th.
ahh i get it now

Old
01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I was confused when I initially saw it too. Because while I saw his head hit the top edge of the dasher, he also looked like he was suffering from arm/shoulder pain. So I can understand how there was some confusion as to what the injury was. But at the time I didn't know how the head or neck being hit so hard could lead to a stinger. Bad break either way because the first line had played better for a stint upon his return.

Dawes will get, what, his third chance this season? If not him, then Prucha could get a shot.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Fletch

Rags...

the Rangers are actually 9w 18l with Straka in the lineup - not sure if that's indicative of anything, but it may mean that the Rangers may not be in a whole heck of a lot of trouble with him out of the lineup (provided Henke returns to form).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the Rangers are actually 9w 18l with Straka in the lineup - not sure if that's indicative of anything, but it may mean that the Rangers may not be in a whole heck of a lot of trouble with him out of the lineup (provided Henke returns to form).
Yeah I would say that's just solely based on the fact that we have a coach who's still trying to run a system that won't fit the players.

Straka is more likely to boost a teams chance to win than he is to lose, so I wouldn't say that's much of a factor....however..

Hopefully Jagr doesn't suck it up because Straka isn't playing with him.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
didn't realize that, but it all depends on Hank. I was just trying to find a silver lining about this injury. Whatever happens, happens. Hopefully one of the younger players will step up.

Old
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
WHAT? HOSSA?!

The guy has effectively brought down EVERY scoring line he's played on this year. Any play and momentum that he had last year has completely vanished. No way do we try him up there. NO way. Not a chance. Tom Renney should be fired if he goes back to Hossa.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Fletch

Bruno...

Straka does help Jagr, but I think Dubi was bringing down Jagr more than anyone else and everyone did the right thing and said how good he was and how he was progressing rather than point fingers that he may've been a problem on that line. Gomez makes more sense and I think that was the reason for the jumpstart. Yeah, the duo didn't work in the first 3-4 games of the season, but Gomez handles the puck enough and moves around enough for Jagr to move around and make things happen. Dubi didn't move enough. Wouldn't be surprised to see Hossa moved back up if Straka is out a while and Dawes looks out of place on his first shift.

Old
01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Terrible news. Our top line finally gets going and now this.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Prucha - Gomez - Jagr
Dawes - Drury - Shanny (?)
Avery - Dubinsky - Hossa
Hollweg - Betts - Orr

We need some offensive help now I guess with Straka and eventually Shanny out, Cally demoted and 3 losses in a row

Bring on ..........

drum roll

Jason Strudwick???

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Dawes was playing the top line in practice today. Also, I have never seen Renney call Dubi's line his 4th line.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:53 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Strakas head bouncing off the Dasher was my 1st clue that he had concussed himself.

He could have suffered a stinger aswell, they go hand hand.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:57 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Dawes was playing the top line in practice today. Also, I have never seen Renney call Dubi's line his 4th line.
It's a joke because the fourth line gets played more than the third.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
As an Edmonton fan, it just baffles me that Prucha is never played with Jagr 5 on 5. It's the easiest, most obvious move.
Prucha defers to Jagr too much to play with him at even strength. Between Rozsival and Prucha I don't know who is worse. They both look to pass to Jagr everytime they touch the puck. I want no part of having those guys play with Jagr for 60% of the time that they are out on the ice. Let Dawes play on the 1st line because he has a Straka like way about him. Speed kills and Dawes and Gomez can be up tempo with Jagr being the trailer on a rush up the ice.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Fletch

Betts' line...

is called the 'fourth' line by Joe, Sam, and others - so I call it the fourth line too. 94 does not call it the fourth line because it's a 'checking' line and occasionally goes against top lines.

Old
01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Fletch

Jagr the trailer?

what seems to be most successful is when Jagr comes across the blueline, either with the puck, or parallel with the puck carrier. He seems to be best when things get slowed down, so I'm not sure adding the element of speed down the left side enhances the line. Straka's successful because he gets to the loose pucks and keeps the play going in the offensive zone, not so much because of his breakaway speed.